[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong with ORAS /vp/ I thought Hoenn was flawless

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: old but gold.jpg (27KB, 527x525px) Image search: [Google]
old but gold.jpg
27KB, 527x525px
What went wrong with ORAS /vp/

I thought Hoenn was flawless
>>
Lack of Battle Frontier and teasing it

Everything else was perfect

Absolutely perfect
>>
>>31385678
Why would you think that? Half the region is water and half the towns are boring
>>
>>31385678
There are no flawless regions.
>>
>>31385678
It helped me legitimately get all the legendaries I missed from prev Gens in an easy mechanic so I'm okay with it. Poor postgame content (Delta Episode was lackluster, no Frontier) kinda sucked and slowdown during horde battles still being a thing.
>>
>>31385700
>Not a valid criticism
>Wrong
>>
>>31385678
Postgame was a bummer, but otherwise they're fucking great. Best Pokemon games since Platinum and much better than Sun/Moon.
>>
Pretty much everything went wrong.
>>
>>31386771
Not an argument
>>
>>31385678

The Hoenn Map is fucked, and requiring 8 goddamn HMs to get around is obnoxious. The reason soaring seems so fucking wonderful is partially that it lets you bypass the bullshit of ledges, breakable rocks, and one-way water currents.

Another huge component to how much you enjoy Hoenn is tied to how often you play through the story. If you just complete it once, then stay in the post game, it's pretty enjoyable. Every subsequent playthrough will get more and more tedious.

While the number of mons you can obtain after the climate shift and in the post game is decent, the mid and late game, even with the safari zone, is ungodly stale.

It makes it such that ingame teams get really samey if you don't trade or use bank to transfer in some variety. The lack of variety is especially noticeable since ORAS comes off the heels of XY, which, though flawed in many ways, did have surprising variety all the way through the E4. SM also has comparatively superior variety.

The question then becomes "what did ORAS do right?" Soaring, DexNav, and micro level maps. That is to say, that the individual screens, outside of goddamn water, are interesting enough to distract you from the terribleness of the rest of the game's design.
>>
>>31387651
The map is fine. Yes it sucks that the player typically would rely on an HM slave but that's how every game except S/M has worked so far.

>Another huge component to how much you enjoy Hoenn is tied to how often you play through the story. If you just complete it once, then stay in the post game, it's pretty enjoyable. Every subsequent playthrough will get more and more tedious.

Um, are you sure you're not describing S/M? Hoenn is very easy to replay.

>While the number of mons you can obtain after the climate shift and in the post game is decent, the mid and late game, even with the safari zone, is ungodly stale.

Meh, it kind of sucks that the only new firetypes are Torkoal and Camerupt (which has a 4x weakness to water) but the pokemon distribution is fine.

>It makes it such that ingame teams get really samey if you don't trade or use bank to transfer in some variety. The lack of variety is especially noticeable since ORAS comes off the heels of XY, which, though flawed in many ways, did have surprising variety all the way through the E4. SM also has comparatively superior variety.

Okay now this is just false. I mean, unless if you're cool with using Kanto Pokemon in non-Kanto regions. That's one of the major complaints with XY and S/M, not enough new Pokemon, too many Kanto Pokemon

>The question then becomes "what did ORAS do right?" Soaring, DexNav, and micro level maps. That is to say, that the individual screens, outside of goddamn water, are interesting enough to distract you from the terribleness of the rest of the game's design.

The game is designed very well actually. It's major flaw is the mediocre post game, but even that is still better than both XY and S/M's post game. Not that that is saying much.
>>
>>31386771
>always have to have water slave on team the farther you go
>lose the power to ride on bike speed
>forced encounters everywhere
>Most trainers use the same typings
>>
>>31389204
>Just like practically any Pokemon game with water travel
>Surf speed isn't slow. Surfing on Sharpedo is faster than bike speed
>What are repels? and even if you don't use them Surf encounters are much more rare in ORAS
>No one seemed to mind this in Kanto where that game was flooded with Poison types. Also Game Freak scattered Ace Trainers on the sea routes to add variety.
>>
>>31389371
>You're telling me I have to (ingame) pay money to enjoy my game again so it's not littered with bullshit
Nope, you don't have to. You could just go through the game without them. But then you'd bitch about encounters.
>>
>>31389371
>WHAT? I have to use a fire flower to pass through this level in Mario? This is BULLSHIT!
>>
>>31389177
>Meh, it kind of sucks that the only new firetypes are Torkoal and Camerupt (which has a 4x weakness to water) but the pokemon distribution is fine.

Better than Infernape and Rapidash though
>>
>>31389349
I'm bitching about Hoenn in general here fyi
>practically the same speed
That doesn't matter as much when your region isn't designed to be almost half water
>yes but trying to get them without seeking it out is bullshit and needs the 7th badge (iirc for the super rod
>repels are fine but its bullshit how there's no safe area anymore if you would rather fight trainers than battles. It's always open encounters
>are you really trying to compare Hoenn water routes to the optional area of Cycling road
>scattered Ace trainers

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hoenn_Route_124
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hoenn_Route_125 (Double battle on land)
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hoenn_Route_126
3 battles that don't include water Pokémon so far

Route 127 is good 4 and 4

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hoenn_Route_128
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hoenn_Route_129
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hoenn_Route_130
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hoenn_Route_131
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hoenn_Route_132
Good route again http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hoenn_Route_133

So like ~12 vs 60
>>
>>31387651
>If you just complete it once, then stay in the post game, it's pretty enjoyable. Every subsequent playthrough will get more and more tedious.

Damn, that's accurate. Way back in Gen 3 days I kept restarting Sapphire thinking that I was bored of it because only the beginning part was capable of being fun, but all it did was reveal how much backtracking there was not only on the water routes, but especially in the land routes.
>>
>>31389493
*and a bulk of those 12 are just sailors

There's like 5 ace trainers
>>
File: IQCE9993.png (228KB, 893x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IQCE9993.png
228KB, 893x1200px
>>31385678
>>
>>31389605
Delete this please. I just autistically ranted about this game but all you're doing is shitting in the fire
Wouldn't be surpsed if falsflagging
>>
>>31389177
>Map is fine.
The map forces an excessive amount of backtracking in key spots and has unnecessary one-way routes.

The map is fucked right after you get the first badge. You get forced down a route to enter a tunnel you can't get through, and are forced to backtrack essentially to the previous town. Then you take a ferry to the next gym. Remember how in the originals there was a dungeon to go through? That's gone now... unless you want to get to the next gym, then backtrack for no particular reason.

Then you take another boat ride because there is no organic way to make Dewford an early stop. Things are okay until you get to Mauville, then things get hilariously fucked. You can get a bicycle and use it to backtrack for no particular reason to a town you have no incentive for revisiting. Or, you can go open up the tunnel to back to the first gym... for no reason but the sake of making it easier to backtrack and discover that the game can make rocks permanently breakable. Or you can go north and wonder why the FUCK they didn't make these rocks permanently breakable.

Then you get shunted off to and through Meteor Falls. Then you get to back track again from Rustborough. Not back to somewhere near Mount Chimney. You get to go through three routes and two towns to get back to where you need to go.

Then you get to enjoy a one-way route and some ledges that just make traversing to and from Lavaridge a pain. Note that you get the ability to use Strength from the gym, so they could have put a boulder and pit somewhere to make it less obnoxious.

Then where do you go? Back to the beginning motherfucker. It's obnoxious enough that the remake gave you the opportunity to warp back to where you need to go. You know, in case you didn't want to explore the new area you just got access to. The only new place before heading to the next gym.

Cont.
>>
>>31389177
>Hoenn is very easy to replay.

I don't know if it's because I replayed the shit out of my old RSE games growing up, but I find it tedious now. The sparkle of ORAS dulled quickly because so many of the things that I found boring in RSE were obviously retained, since you can't really change the map's layout much without sacrificing authenticity to the originals.
>>
>>31389605
A lot of these are nitpicks but I do agree with some of it desu

Still though, they're pretty decent games if you get over the Battle Frontier problem and turn off exp share.
>>
>>31389887
I think replaying the fuck out of my RSE carts when I got them years ago Stockholmed me into loving ORAS regardless of its obvious shortcomings
>>
File: TOO MUCH.jpg (270KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
TOO MUCH.jpg
270KB, 1152x2048px
heh
>>
File: 1483847239223.png (321KB, 680x602px) Image search: [Google]
1483847239223.png
321KB, 680x602px
>>31385678

It was pretty good.
And a ton better than the other 3ds games in comparison.
Lack of Battle Frontier being replaced with the Battle Mansion was a letdown.

I really didn't like how they got rid of the social news feature on the bottom screen with a permanent map in S/M.
It always you something to look at.
>>
>>31389855
Where to next? Back to Mauvile. You might think you at least get to check out the cool New Mauvile optional dungeon... Nope. Not available right now. Go get given a mega legendary (not a map problem but pretty fucking obnoxious), and go on one long ass walk up to the next gym. Then walk past the gym and head on to the next route to get a special item only used in this area. Head back to the gym, then go on another long ass walk because there's nothing around Fortree.

The best move once you get to Mt. Pyre is to ignore it for now and head towards Mossdeep so you have somewhere in the same postcode as your next objective to fly to.

You go through Mt. Pyre, then you can go south and wander down the same stupidly one-way route a hundred times if you want to explore things on your adventure, or you can save your self half an hour and just go back to Mossdeep.

I hope you like water motherfucker. Cause it's basically all you'll see for the rest of the damn game. From here until the E4 you will be surfing, diving, or in caves. 99% of your wild pokemon encounters from this point forward will be Wingul, Tentacool, Zubat, or their evolutions, unless you are backtracking or hunting for optional dungeons. If you're really lucky, you'll get sucked into one-way currents that exist specifically to give the player a ginormous "Fuck You".

The map is horrible. It doesn't even have the Johto excuse of misguidedly trying to give the player freedom. It just forces you on a weird path with lots of loops and backtracking for no reason other than the devs didn't know how to lay out the map to give it a natural and consistently forward direction.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.