[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Competitively, what went wrong

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

File: _4305583.png (12KB, 501x195px) Image search: [Google]
_4305583.png
12KB, 501x195px
Competitively, what went wrong
>>
>>31384128
>the move missed!
also
>super effective!
>>
>>31384128
Few fast Pokemon with a good double type

Thank god for nihilego though
>>
no physical 90 power / 100% accuracy move
>>
>>31384128
>Resisted by only three types
>Can deal super effective damage to four types
>One of the best offensive types
>Competitively, what went wrong

Nothing went wrong. Rock is just a polarizing type, same as Ice, whose strengths a lot of people on this board love to ignore.
>>
special defense too low

I would make them resist fairy, after all rocks/gems are used as talismans to defend yourself from magic.

too slow

bad accuracy
>>
>>31384507
>same as ice

you were so close
>>
File: 1468095414483.jpg (68KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1468095414483.jpg
68KB, 640x640px
>>31384507
> Nothing went wrong
> Most of this type are defensive
> 5 weaknesses, 3 of them very common
> Nothing went wrong
>>
>>31384128
Aqua Jet, Bullet Punch, Mach Punch, and lack of good mons with the type. Mega Diancie is the only real good rock type other than Nihiligo sorta.
>>
>>31384521
Ice is a polarizing type.

>Only resists by itself
>Four weaknesses
>Can deal super effective damage to four types
>Resisted by four types

I fail to see how Ice isn't polarizing

>>31384556
That's more of a problem with Rock POKEMON. Not the type itself.
>>
>>31384128
>until Gen 7, 3 100% Acc moves, 2 of them Special
BRAVO GAME FREAK
>>
>Greatest OU Pokemon ever is a Rock-Type

What did opie mean by this?
>>
>>31384630
T-tar? I'd count T-tar as top 3 OU mons of all time
>>
Give it a few resistances and we'd be in business. Same deal as ice, it's a liability in certain combos. Rock should resist ice, electric, and maybe ghost.
>>
>>31384128
>shit accuracy on most moves
>nonexistent special movepool
>made up of pokémon that don't work to the type's strengths
>because stealth rock exists, these issues can't really be addressed without causing severe unbalance
>subjectively, it's also just retarded that it's an offensive type and not a defensive one, but whatever

A lot.
>>
>>31384652

1. Tyranitar
2. Gengar
3. Something else

This is the objective medal podium.
>>
>>31384507
they're talking about rock types as being used themselves as a pokemon defensively. offense has nothing to do with the type itself defensively. Your argument is just as valid as saying "Psychic is good because offensive" "bug is good because offensive", when moves of various types can be accessed by generally stronger pokemon. You can't USE rock types because they're generally slow which makes sweepers lackluster. and they are destroyed by FIVE (5) types. Grass, Water, Ground, Steel AND Fighting. HELL even electric is for some fucking reason not resisted. This essentially destroys their chance at being bulky with their slow speeds. Their strongest attacks seem to have retarded accuracy too. Another note to add is that they are entirely predictable in builds.

Again, what they meant is that you can't really use the pokemon you like if they are rock type. Any type is fine offensively, and yes we all know rock/ice/fire/ground are usually the better types for offense, but the point is that you can use pokemon of other types because of their general all-round better stats, abilities and resistances. In no way do rock moves offensively actually help the rock type pokemon more than it would any other type pokemon with the same move.
>>
File: 375px-526Gigalith.png (103KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
375px-526Gigalith.png
103KB, 375x375px
>>31384630
>>31384652
>>31384702
>>
>>31384710
>In no way do rock moves offensively actually help the rock type pokemon more than it would any other type pokemon with the same move.

I had no idea that STAB was insignificant. Thank you for showing me the light.

>they're talking about rock types as being used themselves as a pokemon defensively.

And how do you know this when OP didn't even say this?

>Any type is fine offensively

Bug, Poison, and Steel are not good offensively.
>>
>>31384702
this
ttar is easily the most iconic OU mon, and the best pseudo. Purely competitive wise, I'd say Garchomp, which is maybe your number 3, is the best pseudo, but overall is Tyranittar.
>>
>>31384810
>Bug, Poison, and Steel are not good offensively.

What are U-TurnBug Buzz, Sludge BombWave/Poison Jab and Iron Head/BP?
>>
>>31385878
Good moves attached to shitty offensive types.
>>
>>31384128
The fact that rock doesn't resist itself.
>>
>>31384128
doesn't resist itself or bug
>>
80%

Lycanaroc wasn't dual typed and has a shit movepool. Could have been good.
>>
weak to ground and fighting, the most common attacking types since forever.
>>
>rock, literal mineral and completely inanimate, can be poisoned

What did Game Freak mean by this?
>>
>>31384752
>Gigalith
>better than TTar

I know your post is low quality bait, but let's believe I don't know that, lets think that I believe you. explain your point
>>
>Common weaknesses in Water, Fighting, Ground, and Steel
>Great for offense (Only resisted by a few types that can be worked around with coverage)
>Most rocks can learn Sneaky Pebbles for more offensive momentum
>"Let's make Rock pokemon slow and defensive even though That goes against the advantages of the type!"

Ice and rock are both cucked in terms of usable pokemon, with the exception of offensive mons done right (Weavile, TTar,)
>>
>>31384128
>moves with shitty accuracy
>>
Do Nihilego and Mega Diancie prove that special Rock types work?
>>
>>31384652
>T-tar
>mankey uses low kick!
>>
>>31384947
Its pretty cool that Tyranitar can still manage a B ranking in SM Ubers
>>
>>31384810
STAB is supposed to make up for another pokemon using it more efficiently in a set? Oh ok then. This is what I meant, cause otherwise you can use the same argument for ice when water exists.

youre 50% extra damage aint worth shit compared to the let me say it again, FIVE weaknesses.
>>
>>31384128
>make nearly every Rock type slow and defensive
>give Rock a ton of weaknesses
???
>>
>>31384686
i have no idea how ground is immune from electric but rock isn't

but the ground is literally made of rocks

rock should be immune to electric
>>
>>31384128
Nothing. It's just GF being GF.
>>
Game Freak should make Rock type be a Steel type 2.0.

> Resisting some types that currently don't
> Resisting ground. Hell, Ground is one of the best offensive types, and Rock don't resist a type when this would make sense.
> Fight type as neutral now. This don't make many sense, but makes a correct synergy with steel type
>>
>>31388078
>"Let's make Rock pokemon slow and defensive even though That goes against the advantages of the type!"
But they're all made of rocks, which are heavy, so it makes sense that they'd be slow.

Only recently have GF been aware of the meta and have been making attempts of minmaxing pokemon so they take full advantage of one role, but I imagine the thought process for Rock-mons for years has been;
>We'll make them have great Defence, and resistances to common attacking moves at the time, and mostly when you're early in-game)
>But to counteract that, we'll make them have low Sp.Defence and be weak to Special types, so they can't be unbreakable walls. You'll have to use them wisely against your opponent
>...but to balance this further, we'll make Rock be a strong, barely resisted type, so while they tank hits they can still have some offensive presence through SE hits

I feel like Ice was done in a similar vein; The type is VERY strong offensively, so to not have every Ice type be OP, they make them statistically slow and bulky. Its not like anything freezing cold and covered in ice would be moving very fast, anyway.
>>
>>31388681
>What is earthing electricity
Rock and stone are solid and can be zapped and broken, the ground is soil and mud and such.
The idea is that Ground types can direct electricity away, Rock types can't some crystals are even conductive
>>
>>31391362
Rock is weak to fighting cause breaking bricks
>>
>>31391456
Yes, I know that.
>>
>>31388078
>common
>steel
as common as poison
>>
>Glass canon type with slow bulky mons
>Most double typings are a x4 death sentence
>Rock slide missed/Stone Edged missed
>>
>>31391577
>glass cannon
>slow bulky mons
these are exact opposites
>>
>>31384128
it needs to resist Bug and rock ,
>>
>>31391738
hence why rock & ice are shit
>>
>>31391362
I get what you are trying to do.

I wish Rock/Steel pokemon had no weakness, just because it sounds like the the ultimate tought type combination.

Instead, we have two double weakness to two of the most commong attacking types, and a weakness to a extremely spammable type like water.
>>
>>31388264
Bruh, TTar has a million weaknesses and is still fine.
>>
>>31391883
It had 650 BST though, that helps a lot.
>>
>no 100% accurate move with usable power
>no usable special move with any distribution at all
>weak to many common types
>most common secondary type shares 2 (two) of the same weaknesses and doesn't offer any resistances that it wants
>>
>>31384702
heatran
the thing has been top tier ou for 4 gens now

gengar died this gen

ttar fell off a lot last gen

garchomp was banned for one gen
>>
File: IMG_1366.png (167KB, 321x439px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1366.png
167KB, 321x439px
Too many weaknesses, and they are all very common types to have on a competitive mon. Resisting ground would be a start.
>>
Steel happened, for one. Because Rock and Ice needed another weakness.
>>
>>31391362
I don't really like that but I kind of got an idea when you said steel 2.0
>Rock is now immune to burn like steel is immune to the poison status condition.
>>
File: o4XweQW.gif (495KB, 435x248px) Image search: [Google]
o4XweQW.gif
495KB, 435x248px
>>31392164
>This happens
>TTar jumps to Ubers
>Bunch of other good Rock types get boosted to higher ranks
>mfw I'm a rockfag
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.