[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What exactly is a "Normal type"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: 1483923301818.png (246KB, 913x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1483923301818.png
246KB, 913x1000px
Why is Sawsbuck part-Normal?

Why is Pyroar part-Normal?

Why is Heliolisk part-Normal?

Last time I checked, Normal types were either
>a) Plain animals with no special features signifying another type (except maybe Flying)
>b) Pokemon that were neutral, or didn't fit having another type (Type: Null, Regigigas)

But what does Normal type mean now?
>>
>>31381654
It's essentially the animal or no-type
>>
>>31381654
Pokémon that are specialized in Normal moves
>>
A beautiful copy/paste from an anon a while ago...

The only dual-type with normal in Gen I was Flying (until Fairy was introduced in Gen VI) which makes sense since they're based on regular, non-elemental birds.

Gen II introduced Girafarig, a Normal/Psychic type; this Pokemon had two distinct heads, only one of which had Psychic power.

Gen IV introduced Bibarel, a Normal/Water type which evolves from a Normal type; since the evolution retains a majority of the traits found in Bidoof, it retains its Normal typing.

Gen V gave us the Deerling/Sawsbuck line with the Normal/Grass typing. Like Girafarig, the Grass elements of Sawsbuck's design appear on it's antlers but not necessarily on the rest of the body. Also, Meloetta can be either Normal/Fighting or Normal/Psychic- in this case, the Normal typing represents it's musical theme, which may also explain why the Jigglypuff line retains it's Normal type.

Lastly, Gen VI gave us Diggersby, Pyroar, and Helioptile. Like Bibarel, Diggersby gains its secondary type through evolution. The Pyroar line have fiery manes but are otherwise normal in appearance, like Sawsbuck. The Heliolisk line is probably the biggest outlier here, but I think the idea is that it doesn't generate its own electricity (unlike most Electric-types) and therefore can't be considered a pure Electric type.

I'm sure I'm just stating the obvious here, but regardless I think its an interesting topic. In Bewear's case I think the Fighting type is secondary because it's a product of Bewear not knowing it's own strength, whereas Passimians typing is based on it's organization and training regime.
>>
>>31381706
In addition to this, I also believe Normal can be used as a way to show sound as a type (i.e. Jigglypuff line keeping Normal, Pyroar, etc)
>>
>>31381654
Heliolisk is normal because it doesn't actually generate the electricity in its body, it's just a natural solar plant.
>>
>>31381706
All of this works, but A-Ratatta line will always be kind of questionable just because there are plenty of pure Dark-types that just look like regular evil animals.
>>
>>31381773
I think it's likely because when the Yungoos/Gumshoos were brought to Alola to take care of the Rattata/Raticate problem, the rats adapted and became nocturnal.
>in b4 Dark doesn't mean night/nocturnal
>>
>>31381773
Ratatta adapted from regular Rattata and was able to mostly retain most of its Normal type features.
Meowth on the other hand was purposefully selected to become a Dark type and remove all its Normal type characteristics.
>>
File: drampa.png (123KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
drampa.png
123KB, 500x500px
I like all these explanations in this thread

but what about snoop dragon?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170114-143952.jpg (10KB, 506x193px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170114-143952.jpg
10KB, 506x193px
>>31383407
I think that's a question we have the LEAST to worry about
>>
>>31383407
It's not a dragon. It just looks like one
>>
>>31381706
Following the logic of Girafarig, Sawsbuck, and Pyroar, why are Rockruff and Lycanroc not Normal/Rock? They aren't made of rock or anything, they're just normal animals with some rocks stuck onto them.
>>
>>31381654
Bibarel is semi-aquatic and not full aquatic, which i guess is the difference between it and buizel?
>>
>>31383484
But it's still a Dragon type.

By that logic, shouldn't Gyarados by a Dragon type?
>>
File: 1483127393493.png (247KB, 552x400px) Image search: [Google]
1483127393493.png
247KB, 552x400px
>>31383477
Dragons breath firing using magic, they basically cast flamethrower right inside their mouth. They can also use this magic to make their body lighter in order to fly.

In the end some things that should fly can't and some that shouldn't do.
>>
>>31381654
It just means that they excel in attack methods that don't utilize any sort of elemental power. They attack with normal methods using their bodies/claws/teeth etc that also don't quite fall into the fighting type because they don't require any sort of fighting technique. A dual normal type just means that on top of the second type's abilities, it's better than the average pokemon at normal fighting methods.

Granted I don't really know if there's anything that qualifies a pokemon for a normal duel-type besides just looking kind of normal.
>>
>>31381654
it's an unassigned typing or neutral.
Jack of all trades in a single "element".

As for actual mechanical reasons like its weakness to fighting, I can't speak for the exact reason but I feel it's to do with something something precision, critical, proficiency etc. Normal, being the jack of all trades should have a lot of weaknesses, a key element to the fighting type with finding the weak spots. As for ghost, I really have no explanation as psychic would make more sense to block those out.

Dragon is like an extension to normal type imo, both share similar things. Jack of all trades, not too many weaknesses, and only recently got fairy. To me Dragon is like the legendary version of a normal.

Then there's arceus which further supports the jack of all trades. I would say due to Arceus being the "creator" of the universe that normal is the also the alpha type, that being said though it could have easily created the universe as a different type and there's also the conflicting issue with mew. Depends on which dex entry you want to take literally and how you interpret the information personally. Because technically mew could still come before Arceus - It never states that Mew was born in this universe.
>>
>>31383547
They're not made of rock, but the rocks are an actual part of their body, whereas something like Sawsbuck simply has plants growing on its horns that aren't part of the Pokemon itself.
>>
>>31383816
But Pyroar's mane is an actual part of the pokemon. So is Girafarig's ass.
>>
>>31383407
It's getting old so it sort of loses the dragon type but at the same time it's still there.
>>
>>31383744
I always figured Normal was weak to fighting because a black belt could kick the ass of a normal dude no problem.
>>
>>31384346
Girafarig is a hybrid. Like a chimera. They almost work like separate animals, so one half is Normal the other is Psychic.
That's all I can explain to you because I'm not a huge adept of that Pyroar theory.
>>
>>31383692
This is probably the best explanation. All others are acceptable at best (even if interesting to read).
>>
>Last time I checked, Normal types were either
>a) Plain animals with no special features signifying another type (except maybe Flying)
>b) Pokemon that were neutral, or didn't fit having another type (Type: Null, Regigigas)
c) Pokemon who specialize in sound-based attacks (Pyroar, Meloetta, Jigglypuff, Exploud, Chatot)

There are a few exceptions, like Popplio and Politoed.
>>
File: 1484009606050.png (81KB, 495x398px) Image search: [Google]
1484009606050.png
81KB, 495x398px
>>31384555
>2017
>STILL no Sound type
>>
>>31381673
Most early gen normal types had the largest move pools though.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.