[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Steel the only usable monotype?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

Is Steel the only usable monotype?
>>
>>31373038
Yes.
>>
It is the most overpowered type by a wide margin. So I guess it's feasible.
>>
>>31373038
Psychic is another good one. Gen 7 even fucked up mono-type baka
>>
>>31373038
What's your go-to to deal with fire types?
>>
>>31373038
Water not bad, too. Two weaknesses and most Waters can learn Ice Beam for Grass, and Earthquake for Electric.
>>
>>31373075
EQ. A lot of Steel types seem to get it.
>>
>>31373065
>overpowered
This meme again.
>>
I have the most fun with my mono-poison team
>>
>>31373038
Not even close. The only monotype that's an automatic liability is Ice.
>>
>>31373068
psychic only has 6 OU pokemon, I can't imagine you have a good type spread

>>31373075
I have three that I swap out from time to time.

Heatran is the obvious one, but people never see a scarfed empoleon or scarfed excadrill coming, and each has great type coverage. Empoleon especially since a large number of consistently OU pokemon have a quadruple weakness to ice
>>
>>31373038
Water can be useable I guess.
Decent rock monotype teams?
>>
>>31373103
Didn't realize no fire types had levitate.

>>31373137
Heatran is what I figured, though I was indeed hoping for Empoleon.
Do you just power through mono-water?

>OU
So what do you run instead of Aegislash?
>>
>>31373178
Monowater is surprisingly tough. I don't handle walls well, steel doesn't resist water and most of my pokemon need the attack they have

I ended up replacing aegislash with excadrill. Turns out high jump kick spam went down after the metagame settled so I don't get floored every time a beauty is on the opposing team
>>
>>31373038
Fairy
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Is ghost any good? I want my bold bro to be useful.
>>
File: salazzledazzle.jpg (97KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
salazzledazzle.jpg
97KB, 894x894px
>>31373038
No. Is it the best? Ooooohhh yeah. As a poison player I cannot wait for mega meta to get the boot. In the meantime, this thing keeps it in check.
>>
>>31373360
Not anymore it's not. only 3 in the OU bracket

>>31373442
>mega metagross
>uber

if that happens I'll be completely fucked. Is mega scizor in sun and moon?

Also, I wonder what flinching item is best for jirachi. Iron head and zen headbutt already have a 60% flinch rate
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>31373489
good thing i've got backups
>>
>>31373442
Back in gen 5, Poison was the best monotype. Then Mega Evolution came along and fucked everything up.
>>
>>31373127
Poison would be pretty bad too
>One poke with psychic
>>
>>31373108
take a look at the team of >>31373038

tell me those aren't some of the most viable pokemon in the metagame
>>
>>31373803
Oh, you're talking about the Pokemon themselves.

Thought you were talking about the type-chart.
>>
>>31373765
Alolan Muk would be poison counter. Hi bulk, psychic immunity, and contact poison

>>31373803
metagross and celesteela maybe, but aegislash is both uber and basically limited in its attacks, and the other three are surprisingly lacking in bulk.

Jirachi is done in one hit if it wants to use serene grace, magearna will get one hit in a battle, and heatran is one fighting or ground attack away from disaster
>>
>>31373835
that's okay, misunderstandings happen

but steel is still relatively strong as a type
>resists key offensive moves in fairy, psychic and dragon
>poison immunity(except salazzle)
>beats fairies
>>
>>31373856
sun and moon nerfed fairies by removing most of the megas. even with the tapus they're not much stronger than the other non-offensive types
>>
I made top 10 in ORAS OU using a mono-psychic team so I imagine that's pretty good as well.
>>
>>31373987
>top 10
bullshit

or maybe not, maybe I just suck ass for never reaching 1400
>>
>>31374053

Monotype teams actually aren't that bad. They tend to break down each other's counters and make it easy for the offensive side of the team to sweep.

Bisharp was an automatic loss for me at the higher end of the ladder, but retards in the middle tended to blow their load early and leave it in on sash Alakazam and defensive Reuniclus, which were sadly the best answers I could come up with for Dark types.
>>
>>31374089
My issues are all bulk related. I don't use steel's bulk to my advantage and my sweepers dont handle walls well.

I get impatient, so I dont really use hazards and stat boosts like I should and it shows
>>
>>31374152

I'd imagine that it's easier for an offensive monotype team to win than it is for a defensive monotype team, so you're right in that regard.

If you're struggling with walls, then I'd try to find a stallbreaker that fits on your team. I can't really think of a Steel type off the top of my head but I'm sure there are some.
>>
Best monotype right now are probably Steel, Flying, and Electric. Worst is Ice and Bug.

Steel is braindead as fuck, anyone can win monosteel.
>>
>>31374233
What's monoflying look like?
>>
>>31374244

LandoT, Thundurus in either form, sometimes just all three genies, Skarm/Celesteela, Dragonite, Gliscor, Zapdos, Mandibuzz...
>>
>>31374193
Kartana is supposed to be good, but I need something to take out chansey as fast as possible
>>
>>31374298

I did a quick search through the Smogon forums and the only steel stallbreaker I could find was Heatran.

The set was Magma Storm, Taunt, Toxic, Earth Power/Flash Cannon. It's meant to lure in Chansey, trap it, and wear it down with Toxic. Taunt prevents it from healing.

Alternatively, you could try Taunt+Swords Dance Cobalion.
>>
>>31374281
Shoulda guessed it was genies.
>>
>>31374335
Apparently lucario is the only one can OHKO chansey, but otherwise it appears worthless and can't even kill landorus
>>
It is true that Monosteel is basically the bane of Monotype right now. Weaker monotypes like Monoice and Rock basically get soloed by Mega Metagross alone. There's three or so main "variants" of the basic Monosteel team and Monosteel has such powerful offensive options that you have to build your team constantly thinking about how to deal with Monosteel and everything you do will hurt your team's ability to fight every other type of team(Monobug is ESPECIALLY vulnerable to this because Volcarona is almost all you've got and you have to run HP Ground which will deny it coverage it needs to fight anything else).

Right now I would say that everyone who plays Monotype fucking hates you i you run Monosteel and are just too polite to say anything/"that's the game."
>>
>>31374475
I play monosteel in OU, not monotype
>>
>>31374233
>Electric
>anything but shit

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>31373065
>what is fairies
>>
What about a fairy monotype run?
>>
>>31374886
Steel food
>>
Anyone wanna help me with a ghost team? So far I'm thinking m-Gengar, aegislash and mimikyu. Thinking about those 3 on the same team already triggers me but not sure of who else is good. Maybe chandelure, decidueye or palossand?
>>
>>31373137

In monotype, it is generally considered acceptable to use a few UU pokemon mixed in with OU. Starmie may be UU now, as is Victini, but in monotype, that's generally fine.
>>
>>31375607

I was pretty sure that M-Gengar is forever banned in Monotype but if it's allowed, go for it.

Otherwise Eviolite Dusclops, Cofagrigus, Spiritomb, Mimikyu, Chandelure, A-Marowak, Dhelmise, Jellicent, Golurk, Doublade, Decidueye, these are all solid picks.
>>
>>31373038
Is Poison good?
>>
>>31377509

It got massively buffed by Toxapex , A-Muk, and Nihilego but M-Gross rapes it.
>>
Rate my poison monotype team

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 144 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Scolipede @ Lansat Berry
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Substitute

Muk-Alola @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Haze

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Hex
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
>>
>>31373038
Your team looks so sexy.
>>
>>31377567

You are very lacking for attacks and are looking to get walled hard.
>>
>>31373803
Your argument is weak as fuck. They're also all dual types as well.
>>
>>31377736

Yeah, dual-typed Steels with Steel being what they all have in common. Are you dumb as fuck? There are even Steel pokemon not in the OP like Bisharp or Magnezone.
>>
File: monobug.png (84KB, 919x192px) Image search: [Google]
monobug.png
84KB, 919x192px
I've been using this monobug team just for fun in AG and it's surprisingly good (dont have anything for Primal Groudon so I basically forfeit when I see one in team preview)

Rate:

Volcarona (F) @ Passho Berry
Ability: Flame Body
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Golisopod (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- First Impression
- Leech Life
- Liquidation

Galvantula (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Sticky Web
- Giga Drain

Scizor (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Pheromosa @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Beam
- Poison Jab
- U-turn

Forretress @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch
>>
>>31373569
>not perfect SpA
Useless. Release it.
>>
>>31373569
>31 Speed on Aegislash, whose gimmick revolves around always going 2nd
try again
>>
>>31373038
Have they banned Kartana?
>>
>>31373178
>no fire types have levitate
Even so they can still get smoked by stone edge and rock slide, attacks that many steel types also carry.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.