[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which era is your favorite? >Classic era GF was still figuring

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

File: eras.jpg (410KB, 1308x1300px) Image search: [Google]
eras.jpg
410KB, 1308x1300px
Which era is your favorite?

>Classic era
GF was still figuring out what they wanted to do wirh the series. Systems and battles are very simple.

>Developing era
GF knows the formula that they want to follow. Start polishing battle mechanics and extra depth.

>Modern era
Battle mechanics are fully developed - GF moves on to introduce gimmicks such as Z-Moves and Mega Evolution.

This is not a genwar thread. Talk about your favourite era and why.
>>
>>31358596
>yfw future games feature Nuclear Moves/Evolutions
>>
>>31358596
modern era. S/M a best.
>>
>>31358596
No games are in the modern era. I'd consider XY and SM still in Developing. They're nowhere near finished products
>>
>>31358596
late deveolping era where it's pretty much already fully developed but the gimmicks arent there yet
>>
love developing era, just AMAZING GAMES
>>
Developing era, not a fan of the new gimicks.
>>
>>31358596
>Classic
Has its own charm of being more laid back and open. Honestly I feel Tajiri was great with atmosphere and worldbuilding
>Developing
Started out kinda eh, but it really hit its stride midway and became peak of the series overall.
>Modern
Well it's starting to get out of mediocrity, but I feel like SM's non-/vp/ reception is too positive. It makes me worry GF will instead of taking what was good about SM and improving it instead make the flaws worse in the future and make a Movie Era for Pokemon
>>
>>31358596
I agree completely with this classification, I've been trying to figure out how to group them.

It also explains why I'm not liking things as of XY... I liked the status quo and permutations of it, and shaking the system makes me concerned the relative consistency in quality is disturbed. Additionally, I'm concerned that the power creep and exponentiality of adding gimmicks will make the games a swamp to play through a few gens on from now.
>>
>>31358596
Developing. DPP and BW/BW2 are the best games in the series, followed by SM.
>>
>>31358596
Developing era. All amazing games. Classic games aren't bad, they've just aged poorly.

The Modern era... It's awful. Crap. Garbage. GameFreak keeps finding ways to put in less and and less effort into each release.
>>
>>31358596
I wouldn't create arbitrary eras like that, but my rough favorites would be something like:
>Emerald
>FR/LG
>G/S/C
>S/M
>R/S
>R/B/Y
>X/Y
>Plat
>D/P
>B/W 1+2
>>
>>31358701
This is where I stand. I didn't mind the status quo and gens being "more of the same", as it was basically "more of what I enjoyed".
>>
>>31358814
this is now a games ranking thread.

SM > BW2 > HGSS > Emerald > BW > Platinum > FRLG > ORAS > RS > RBY >>>>>>>>>>>XY>>>>>>>>>>>>DP
>>
The peak of the developing area

HG/SS/Pt
>>
>>31358863
Oh, right, I forgot HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Honestly all the remakes are strictly better than their predecessors except ORAS, which I'll admit I haven't played but also haven't heard much good about. Personally, Emerald is more or less the most "pure" Pokemon game. It has great balance, great mons, cool exploration and mystery, just the right amount of story.

There are individual parts that other games do better than Emerald, but I don't think any of them can beat its consistent level of quality.
>>
Unironically Red/Blue, except I can't justify this view much except for "muh childhood"
>>
>>31358975
I really appreiate the simplicity desu
>>
>>31358938
Too bad being prior to phys/special split makes them weird to play now.
>>
I'd probably have to say the classic era on account of them being the most open games with the least restrictive narratives.

I also like the Pokémon designs the most, and the scope and ambition of GSC is still unmatched even if the execution was lacking. I wish Game Freak would still make their games as if they were meant to be the last ones in the series.
>>
Pt, HGSS, BW1 and BW2
>>
SM are the only good first version games so modern I guess
>>
>>31358596
The OP Is A Faggot Era was my least favorite I can tell you that much.
>>
>>31360069
Hue hue hue I troll u XD
>>
How about the faggot era where OP is from
>>
HG/SS, BW, BW2.
/thread
>>
>>31358596
>Developing
Best by far.
>>
Gen 4 with the physical/special split was the best. If GF had implemented it in Gen 3, D/P/Pt would've been the most forgettable games of the series
>>
Modern Era is dogshit, so much so that I would rather play classic era over it any day.
>>
>>31358693
>entitled
>>
>>31358863
BW2 = HGSS = Platinum = Emerald > RS = DP = FRLG > ORAS > SM > XY
>>
>>31362859
shit! i forgot about BW

well BW places between RS and DP like this.

RS = BW = DP
>>
>>31361069
Gen 3 was pretty modest with their moves, it would be better if they introduced the split back then to keep powercreep in check.

I imagine that moves like Close Combat and Flare Blitz would have something like 90 BP. Perfect.
>>
>>31358596
I realize there's some nostalgia involved in this, but the Late Classic/Early Developing era was when it felt most sincere, if you know what I mean. It has always been about the money, sure, but during that time they created games in a way that they were challenging and rewarding, and the Pokemon designs were simple, yet synthezised very well the idea behind them. Design-wise, it started going downhill around the 4th gen and gameplay wise, around the 6th gen. I have no issue with gimmicks but they've introduced them in such a game-breaking way that it's stopped being fun. I mostly play hacks of old games now.
>>
I wouldn't put the 5th gen in the developing era, especially B2W2, that game had nearly every aspect of the franchise tied on a nice bow.

B2W2 as a swan song for the DS is amazing, it's a shame that they only focus on history pre pinwheel forest style and not in a more free way on XY and SM with the gameplay interruptions.

Honestly I still have to see a game as complete as B2W2 coming from GF.
>>
>>31360050
Decent point. Stars is gonna be lit
>>
>>31363016
I haven't kept up with the competitive scene lately, but I think gen 6's problem was Mega Kang, Mawhile, and other mega pals.

Have Z moves broken the game too?
>>
>>31358693
>owhere near finished products
Well anon if you have not understood yet this is the future of Pokemon
>>
>>31363200
>Have Z moves broken the game too?

A Tectonic Rage crit on my Magnezone Protecting deals over 50% damage. Can't switch because if I do, then whatever I switch into will eat a 270 BP move. Flying types will deal with Tapu Koko's Discharge/Thunderbolt, as Garchomp and Koko are such a popular pair.

The saddest part is that now it's better to just attack with your Sash mon than properly predicting the opponent doubling into them and Protecting, because it's pointless. Your Sash will be broken anyway.

Z-Moves took everything that was wrong about megas and made it worse in my opinion. Removing thought from the game is a huge mistake.
>>
I gotta say Development with a Modern spice. HGSS and Pt speak fpr themselves, BW2 are good and least now we got a good first versions in SM.
>>
I love the developing era the most, but I think that's just because I've replayed them a lot more and there's more games in their era (considering HGSS and BW2 part of that just incase OP doesn't) but that being said, I did enjoy X and Y a lot and SuMo was one of the best pokemon experiences I had, and with the switch coming out soon I hope we'll get better more convenient flashcarts so I can play a drayano SuMo hack on my 3DS. That would be fucking awesome
>>
>>31358596
Obviously the "Developing Era".

Classic Era as important as it was, is too archaic by current standards.

Modern Era sucks outside the matured battle mechanics. Gimmicky features like Z-moves and Mega Evolutions are disposable.
>>
File: 1475483985005.gif (859KB, 192x192px) Image search: [Google]
1475483985005.gif
859KB, 192x192px
>>31358596
Objective:
>Developing > Classic > dogshit > Modern
>>
>>31358645
>Called pokemon prism
>>
>>31358938
They were better than gen3, at least for me. I hated that gen 3 felt way too fucking easy, even without the xp.share being a thing. I just caught a shroomish and clicked mach punch. The only time I ever need anything else was my starter in gym battles and machoke in the E4

Also battle resort
>>
>>31358596
Gens 1-4 classic
Gen 5 low point among everyone outside of /vp/
Gens 6-7 gaining big popularity again
>>
>>31358596

>Modern Era

Have been playing since gen wun and can honestly say this is the best things have been for a long time. Dragon had always been a poor balancing decision until fairy was introduced as a counter.

Developing Era would be my favorite but the neo pet revamp overhaul of BW killed that era for me. Easily the worst looking mons across the board for me personally. But Emerald will always be my favorite game
>>
>>31358938
ORAS is objectively better then RS, people are just butthurt it doesn't have froniter.

If it's better, worse, or just as good as emerald is arguable, though
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.