[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fanfic critique thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: pokemon.png (5KB, 42x42px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon.png
5KB, 42x42px
So I was told to go here and ask here. I... I wanted to write a certain fanfic ever since I saw the Pokemon anime as a boy and was annoyed at how dumb Ash was. It'd be a pokemon fanfic starring a kid going through a bigass original region, but it would have pokemon from the other regions instead of its own thanks to immigration and invasive species and pokemon breeders fucking shit up for everyone. The battles, the hero, the rival, the gym leaders and elite four, everyone would be smart and every battle would be clever. No aura BS ever. And genuinely metagame-level clever, no dumb anime-only shit. I finished chapter one's document in 2013ish and forgot about it until 2016, when I checked if I'd uploaded it, realized I hadn't, and uploaded it. I have a lot of shit to do, and I'm not sure if I should write this now, get better at writing and rewrite this later, or focus on other work instead.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11826277/1/Pok%C3%A9mon-Blue-Topaz Here's chapter one, sort of a prologue to show that clever pokemon battles will be done in this fic even though you can't do much clever stuff early-on with starter pokemon, and any helpful critique would be appreciated.
>>
>>31350612
ok heres some critique

You are wasting your life. at the very least, put all that brain and will power into creating something original. not a fanfiction that you can feel smug about that at most 100 people with read. Won't even make money for it.
>>
By the way, I've read "Adventurefics" on Serebii and seen how little people care about them because "Lol cliche fanfics aren't worth reading unless someone famous or liked on the board is writing them to make fun of the people that write them because being cliche is uncool", and I've also seen a lot of dumb stuff like the hero getting random legendaries near the start/legendaries liking the hero, the hero talking to pokemon, the hero being bland and generic and if he does act dickish or "It's a game, who cares about pokemon?"ish, the story writer never seeing it as a bad thing, and the hero always winning gym battles unless he/she loses round one and wins round two after picking up more specialness or level grinding. My fic won't have that kind of dumb stuff. But given the over-the-top nature of most "Badfic parodies", it's probably not hard to not include dumb stuff like that.
>>
>>31350666
That... is the first time anyone has ever said anything like that to me and I'd never even considered it until now. Any ideas for what I should do?
>>
>>31350736
Scrap everything and start fresh

>like the cartoon but better!
is the cringiest shit ever

Fuck pokemon, try to think up your own original concept. You could be the next homestuck or whatever. Just make it yours, don't waste your life sucking someone else's dick for head pats from faceless people

Or to be honest, just join the navy man. You can sail the seven seas, put your mind at ease and it'll make a man out of you.
>>
There's a general for people like you >>31330813
>>
>>31350802
>next homestuck
why did huss drop the ball so hard
>>
>>31350854
I blame Hiveswap.
>>
>>31350666
meh, it's fine if it's just for fun. You could say that any hobby in general is kind of a waste of time, no? besides, fanfics are always good practice
>>
>>31350666
trips of truth
>>
>>31350612
I don't think you're gonna get much help from 4chan. I suggest you post it here: https://forums.spacebattles.com/forums/creative-writing.18/ and specifically ask to get critique, the people there have high standards and won't be afraid to give you advice.
>>
>>31350928
So I look at the forum and see this on page 1. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fanfic/ThisBites I look at his patreon and HE'S MAKING OVER ONE HUNDRED BUCKS A MONTH from a bloody "Haha look at me it's a self insert oh look a random omnipotent being" fic. Does it get better over time? Does it earn that money? Or is that site full of the kind of people that just like fics that make them feel smart?
>>
Wait, some fics seem to be pretty good.

Will I really get good advice here?
>>
>>31351115
This bites is literally the most popular SI fic in the naruto fandom. You're not likely to get the same with just some random fic you just started writing. And trust me when I say this, but the quality of the average fic on spacebattles is much higher than on sites like FF.net and ao3.
>>
>>31351177
Ok. How do they treat newbies?

Also do they like HPMOR? I don't.
>>
>>31351409
>Ok. How do they treat newbies?
Pretty well. As long as you show a wilingness to improve yourself as writer then they'll be nice to you, even if your writing is dogshit.
>Also do they like HPMOR? I don't.
They don't.
>>
>>31351684
Good. I really, really hate HPMOR.

I've been burned by forums that seem good but turn out to be horrible before. Who are you on this board?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.