[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why gen2 has so many forgettable pokemon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: stantler.png (109KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
stantler.png
109KB, 475x475px
Why gen2 has so many forgettable pokemon
>>
Because it waa shit.
HG and SS tried to hide that fact.
>>
Low encounter rates. Barely used by significant NPCs. Marketing at the time still focused significantly on the original 151.
>>
>>31350652
> Low encounter rates.
That's gen7. At least half of gen2 could be found easily.

> Barely used by significant NPCs.
I'll give you that though.

> Marketing at the time still focused significantly on the original 151.
Yeah and no. Remember Togepi on the anime, and gen2 mons appearing before the Johto arc. I was hyped as fuck for the new mons when I was a kid.
>>
>>31350566
ALL THE FUCKING GOOD POKEMON WERE IN KANTO. sneasel houndor larvetar

all the pokemon in johto were incredibly shitty. 2nd gen its self is actually very fucking bad, but nostalgia and a huge map brain wash people.

it wasn't until gen 4 came and gave all those shitty pokemon good evos
>>
>>31350708
>At least half of gen2 could be found easily.
And the other half are in fucking Kanto

>Remember Togepi on the anime, and gen2 mons appearing before the Johto arc.
Every gen had this
>>
Because it focused more on being a sequel to Gen I than actually being its own gen.
>>
>>31350652
>>31350708

low encounter top
1. gen 7
2. gen 3
3. gen 4
4. gen 2
5. gen 5
6. gen 1
7. gen 6
>>
Because the majority are Gen 1 rejects.
>>
>>31350652
Were you even alive at the time you petulant Sinnoh slob? Marketing was all about the dozens of new Pokemon since it was the first major expansion and it didn't seem like a gimmicky way to churn out a sequel like Gens 3-7. Especially important were eggs and the cute baby forms of new and old Pokemon alike. New legendaries were also a big part of the advertising campaign. I'd never been more stoked for a video game.
>>
>>31350566
Because you're an underage who didn't play it when it got released.
>>
>>31350726
>all the pokemon in johto were incredibly shitty
Ampharos is rad.
>2nd gen its self is actually very fucking bad, but nostalgia and a huge map brain wash people.
It's the gen that added the most to the series. Breeding, held items, Def/Sp Def split, shinies, and in crystal - battle facility, gender selection, animated sprites.
>it wasn't until gen 4 came and gave all those shitty pokemon good evos
Maybe in viability, but 90% of the gen 4 evos were fucking terrible design-wise and ruined perfectly good designs.
>>
>>31350566
The babies weren't forgetable at the time, however up until Go added them, they had steeply fallen out of mindshare. Most people only use/care about fully evolved pokemon which leaves the babies to be forgotten.

Then there were all the use ones such as Murkrow, Aipon, Yanma... and of course Unown.
>>
>>31351023
>Def/Sp Def split
It was Sp. Atk/Sp. Def split
>>
>>31351126
Yeah, my bad.
>>
>>31350566
fuck you, stantler was my first random encounter shiny
>>
- 7 babies
- 11 kanto evos
- 15 cause everyone remembers the starts/legendaries

Leaves us with 67 johto-mon. Gen 4 and 6 repeated this (large focus on kanto evos, large focus on kanto megas), hence why even numbered generations suck. 7 isn't much better itself. It also has an incredibly low number of new-non legendary/one-off pokemon and tries to boost its numbers with A-forms which again is just more Kanto shit.
>>
Good to see others agree that gen 2 was shit. It killed my interest in the series for 10 years.
>>
>>31351314
bad opinion
>>
File: 1484092628131.png (146KB, 500x550px) Image search: [Google]
1484092628131.png
146KB, 500x550px
>>31350566
I actually know a girl whose favorite Pokemon is Stantler. No matter how forgettable you think some Pokemon is, there's always that one person who has it as their favorite.
>>
>>31350652
>Barely used by significant NPCs
Did any significant npc ever use Stantler? Delibird? Unown? Corsola?
>>
>>31350933
Are you fucking dead yet, you type like you're fucking retired
>>
>>31350933
>cute baby forms
Way to prove her point, idiot.
>>
>>31351023
Lickilicky, Ambipom, and Porygon2 (not Z) are the only cross-gen evos that look worse than the original.
>>
>>31351328
Find me one person who likes Glalie more than every other Pokemon there is
>>
>>31351434
Don't forget Mismagius, Rhyperior, Magmortar (although not that much worse), Togekiss, and Yanmega.
>>
Pokemon Colosseum players remember gen 2 pokes better than gen 1 and 3.
>>
>>31351526
this guy will
>>31352362
>>
>>31350566
Because this was before gamefreak thought they'd be making a new pokemon game every year, so it was made more like an expansion to R/B/Y than a new generation.

Also the internet was relatively young at the time, /vp/ wasn't a thing and neither were shitloads of leaks. We didn't preemptively know half the pokedex through leaks/teasers back then.
Compared to now when lots of people analyze and pretty much decide their whole team before the game comes out.

Couple that with the fact there were lots more pokemon as well.

People not being old enough is also another factor. Lots of avid pokemon fans were still pretty much children when they came out with Gen 2 and probably took pokemon a lot less seriously. Sure I could recount all 800 pokemon right now as an adult, but as a kid playing pokemon red I was just focused on having fun.
>>
>>31351556
>Togekiss
>bad
>>
File: Who.png (38KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Who.png
38KB, 250x250px
Is this thing someone's favorite?
>>
>>31351670
I know someone who loves it.
They're a fucking cancerlord, but it's still their favorite pokemon.
>>
File: Images.jpg (61KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Images.jpg
61KB, 1280x800px
Jesus fuck I remember Silver.

>one elemental stone of each type, after the E4 (have fun training a Staryu or a Vulpix)

>many Gen II pokémon were exclusive to Kanto

>Misdreavus and Larvitar appeared only at Mt. Silver, in certain parts of the cave with low encounter rates

>Snubbul appeared only in the grass near Ecruteak with a 1% encounter rate and it could flee

>babbies

>shit stats

>worst TM set out of all games (fuck Ice Beam, Thunderbolt & Flamethrower, have fun with Mud Slap)

>Johto leaders barely used Gen II Pokémon

>Johto caves were a clusterfuck
>>
File: loli silences anon.jpg (183KB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
loli silences anon.jpg
183KB, 1280x738px
>>31351556
>Not liking Yanmega
>>
File: 1472171483928.jpg (30KB, 500x358px) Image search: [Google]
1472171483928.jpg
30KB, 500x358px
>>31351991
>Liking Yanmega
>>
>>31351570
>>31352362
>>
>>31350781
>gen 1 not bottom of list when literally only gen 1 pokemon existed at the time
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>31350566
I never noticed how nice Stanler's ass was
>>
File: file.jpg (73KB, 600x590px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
73KB, 600x590px
>>31351991
Ship it
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.