[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else had trouble with the difficulty of this game? Why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6

Anyone else had trouble with the difficulty of this game? Why was it so hard to beat?
>>
>>31301488
You just had this thread last week.
>>
>>31301488
did you ditch Pikachu?
because if you didnt, that's probably it.
>>
File: IMG_1547.jpg (60KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1547.jpg
60KB, 400x267px
>difficulty
Must have been hard watching all four of your starter Pokémon die over and over again huh? Oh wait
>>
>>31301488
Pikachu sucks if you try to powerlevel with pikachu youre fucked

Nidoking with Double Kick is the way to beat brock

Just catch a Zados and sweep E4
>>
>>31301488
Honestly RBY are among the easiest games in the series. I beat the E4 with Pikachu, Blastoise, Dodrio, and Nidoking, all of which were level 48-50. And it wasn't even difficult either, almost everyone was one or two-shotted.
>>
>>31301517
>Just catch a Zados and sweep E4
Nidoking is more efficient
>>
>>31301494
What do you mean? I'm playing this game right now.

>>31301498
Nope. There weren't that many electric type Pokemon available in the game so I stuck with the special pikachu.

>>31301499
It took a lot of grinding to catch them up to speed with the rest of my Pokemon. It was annoying.

>>31301535
RB is different from Y in terms of difficulty. Are you sure you weren't thinking about RB?
>>
>>31301488
>gen 1
>difficulty
What?
It's literally the easiest gen to date and Yellow was even easier.
>>
>>31301560
>>31255743
>>
>>31301560
>Nope. There weren't that many electric type Pokemon available in the game so I stuck with the special pikachu.
Jolteon and Zapdos are both leagues better, using NFE can make e4 seem a lot harder than they actually are.
>muh eeveelution
there's no excuse to use flareon and there's a shitload of water types, and even then, zapdos.
>>
>>31301598
Yeah but Zapdos is a legendary pokemon and eeveelutions were shit in gen 1
>>
>>31301560
I never really saw much of a difference. They were both pretty much the same for me difficulty wise. Either way Nidoking and Blastoise alone dumpster the region with Dodrio helping against squishier things.
>>
>>31301488
Apart from Alakazam, there are not many threats in the game. The only ones that come to mind are Bellsprouts (par+wrap combo), RNG Agatha and Lance's Dragonite.

>>31301517
>if you try to powerlevel with Pikachu you're fucked
False.

>Nidoking to beat Brock
Wat

>>31301535
>Blastoise, Dodrio, fucking Nidoking on 50 levels
No shit it wasn't hard for you.
>>
>>31301615
Hypo was what I remember destroying everything
>>
>>31301613
>Yeah but Zapdos is a legendary pokemon and eeveelutions were shit in gen 1
>the legendary excuse
no
also: jolteon was good. by any means, far better than pikachu.
>>
>>31301598
Actually... Flareon is the second best Fire Type in Gen I just behind Moltres; and even then, some people will argue that it was even better than it.

Sure, it has low physical defense but it hits like a truck for both sides unlike Jolteon or Vaporeon. And not every Water Type was able to KO it with just one attack and feared to get paralyzed by Body Slam and later being dispatched by Hyper Beam.

Jolteon was in the same case as Electric Types, the only superior choice was the Bird. Electabuzz, Magneton and Electrode were all meh.

And then Vaporeon had a lot of competition.
>>
>>31301620
>no shit it wasn't hard for you
Being 12-15 levels underleveled and having good type coverage and still dumpstering the E4 would've made it easy regardless in gen I desu
>>
>>31301638
>flareon special is SpDef, not SpA
jesus fuck, i never knew this
id argue for fire spin being better than anything flareon brings, though
>>
This was easy as hell fuck you mean?
>>
>>31301587
busted
>>
This game is only hard if you're completely retarded.
>>
>>31301757
>>31301770
Why are people saying this? Did you solo run the game or something? It was a fucking grindfest if you used 6 Pokemon.
>>
>>31301782
>It was a fucking grindfest if you used 6 Pokemon.
No it wasn't, you're full of shit or just that bad at games

Pikachu and the 3 starters are enough to beat the game, not to mention them giving you Mankey and Nidoran right at the beginning of the game. Grab a Clefable or Abra to go with it and congrats, the game is over.
>>
>>31301782
The reason why the game is piss easy is because of programming constraints and shit AI. Because of that it's easy to snap the game in two with most Pokemon even if you're horrendously underleveled.
>>
>>31301782
You could go the entire game 10 levels below and it'll still be unbearably easy because of all the busted mechanics and shitty AI
Unless you're gimping yourself to extremes then it shouldn't ever be hard.
>>
>>31301795
>bad at games
>not faulty game design
>>
These games were only hard when we didn't know shit about the meta, if you read about it for a few minutes then you'll be king
>>
>>31301782
I played with 6 mons and was pretty easy, the only hard part is sabrina
>>
>>31301782
So you ARE completely retarded. I've been replaying all gen 1 games this past month, and finished yellow last week with pikachu, golem, primeape, venomoth, venusaur and lapras. Barely need to grind.
>>
>>31301488
Pikachu is the shittiest starter of all the RPGs ever released.
>>
>>31301820
If you're the only doofus saying the game is tough while everyone else breezed through it, then you can't blame game design. The game is easy, you're bad, get over it
>>
>>31301916
This was probably it. Everyone is telling me that the game is piss easy but none of them seem to have used the special pikachu.
>>
File: git gud cranky kong.jpg (15KB, 326x245px) Image search: [Google]
git gud cranky kong.jpg
15KB, 326x245px
>>31301488
>>
>>31301935
>I'm not bad no way, everyone else is wrong

You keep making excuses rofl. I used Pikachu and the 3 starters with every run. You suck.
>>
>>31301935
>he didn't beat the game with Pikachu
Fucking casual
>>
>>31302000
So you only used 4 Pokemon then.
>>
If you play it like a modern pokemon game you're gonna get fucked. The game is ass-backwards and unbalanced as hell. But as long as you get something bulky and strong like nidoking or other ground types and something to abuse how stupid Special is (abra, clefairy, etc etc), all you really need beyond that is a bit of coverage.
>>
>>31302011
>he didnt evolve his pikachu
are you heartless? why would you want to force your pikachu to stay weak and deny it its true power?
>>
>>31302028
Nope. I mentioned my entire team in a previous post shutting you down. You're pathetic, is it that hard for you to admit you're bad at the game?

The game throws useful pokemon at you before every gym leader. The game's opening areas have OP pokemon, you have no excuse.
>>
>>31302036
>if you play it like a modern Pokémon game
wat
You play both the same way. Get something with good stats and give it coverage.
>>
>>31301613
Breeding doesnt exist in Gen1 so Snorlax and Lapras are on the same level as Articuno and Mewtwo.
Theyre one-off (well, two-off for snorlax) pokemon with high stats thats it.
>>
>>31302036
You don't need anything bulky. You can easily beat the game with fast pokemon
Mankey on the route next to Viridian City. Pikachu to start with. The 3 free starters. Clefairy in Mt Moon. Geodude in Mt. Moon. Abra right outside Cerulean City, along with Bellsprout and Oddish. Digletts right outside Vermillion City. Dodous right outside Celadon. You can fish up Magikarps and have an easy Gyarados by the time you leave the SS Anne.
You're given a free Eevee right in the city that sells evolution stones

There's no excuse.
>>
I finished the game using all 6 pokemon with pikachu and had no problems, i had to grind a little bit for things like kabutops but besides that it wasnt all that hard.
You can kill stuff 10 levels higher than you easily the balancing is all off.
>>
Damn vp really is filled with casuals. No wonder XY and ORAS was so easy, casuals actually struggled with Gen 1..
>>
>>31302087
Unless you exploit the Missingno glitch on Red/Blue by using a specific trainer name, and you can enjoy unlimited Snorlaxes and Mewtwos. No luck on Lapras or the birds though, but you can conveniently get all three Starters as well.
They're just all stuck at level 128+
>>
Are the games casual because people are shit or are people shit because the new games are casual.

Im pretty sure its both.
>>
File: IMG_1614.gif (67KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1614.gif
67KB, 380x380px
>the amount of cringey elitists who argue like they actually give a shit about another person's playstyle ITT
>>
>>31302183
Hes complaining about how hard this old childrens game is and justifying it by saying that its hard because hes playing it "the real way" and we arent.
Thats why people are judging his play style
>>
>>31302182
The first one causes the second. Gamefreak's dumbed down their games because of kids being unable to beat games.

RBY's not an example of that though.
>>
>>31302212
Pssst, the guy you're replying to is the OP
>>
>>31301488
Less moves and so therefore less options?

>>31301535
Shift or Set?
>>
>>31302260
shut up, elitist
>>
>>31302308
Set. Most of the time it doesn't matter because the AI is utterly terrible.
>>
>>31302364
Gen 1 really is the worst.
>>
Are there really people that dump their Pikachu?
I played through yellow recently and stuck with trashmouse the whole game.
>>
File: 1475078496375.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1475078496375.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>31302356
You'd rather call people elitist than admit you're bad at the game. Holee hell are you 15?
>>
>>31301638
>2nd best
Ninetales and Rapidash, are faster and have access to Fire Spin, which is broken in game. And I'd argue Arcanine was better too.

Flareon was always shit, don't spread lies.
>>
>>31302492
>Are there really people that dump their Pikachu?
shitton of people ditch starters
now take that and add the starter not only being absolutely terrible, but also the mascot which many older fans barely even like
now figure out the answer
>>
Post your team, post their movesets too. You keep claiming everyone is wrong and you have some super special playing style, so post it.
>>
>>31302524
Honestly never ditched my starter, ever
>>
Terrible at the game. That is all.
>>
>>31302522
But they aren't fast enough to pull their move all the time, doesn't have anything outside of that, maybe Ninetales with Confuse Ray and Rapidash with Horn Drill. But nothing more, and Tentacruel destroyed both of them, the point of Fire spin abuse was Toxic.

Arcanine had his good attack and mediocre special, it was slower than base 100 and didn't have any Moves that Flareon doesn't had.

Fire Spin wasn't "broken", it was just annoying and dangerous only when paired with Toxic.
Flareon was able to nuke things without a second thought with 130/110 offenses. Being able to 1-2 a lot of Pokémon with Body Slam followed by either Hyper Beam or Fire Blast.

Don't talk again. Fire Spin wasn't broken by itself, just annoying, you could switch away from it.
>>
Not OP and no special play style for me, I only had one rule and that was no repeating types.
Alakazam
Charizard
Pikachu
Nidoking
Persian
Vaporeon

Nothing stood in my way, both lance and blue were a breeze. The games have gotten significantly harder over the years, and anyone who says otherwise is either a lying contrarian or a newfag who started in 3rd gen or later, unaware of the different (broken) mechanics.
>>
>>31301488
Because Pikachu is shit.
>>
>>31302650
Right? It's probably why the game is so damn hard.
>>
>>31302754
Uh, no. The game isn't hard. Pikachu is mediocre, yes, but you have 5 other Pokemon to pick up the slack. Or you can just not use Pikachu.

Even then if you weren't a shitter you could still use Pikachu well enough. You fucking shitter.
>>
>>31302777
The game is hard if you try and rely on Pikachu as your starter, like most children do.
>>
File: 1482574850274.jpg (92KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1482574850274.jpg
92KB, 633x758px
>>31304885
>The game is hard if you handicap yourself and play like a stupid child that ignores the other 5 Pokemon that are supposed to make up your team
>>
>>31301620
>RNG Agatha
lol git gud
>>
>>31304885
Most people I knew when the game came out used Charizard or Blastoise instead, shitter. Because those are given to you for free.
>>
>>31301488
This game was hard pre brock if you didn't get a mankey or nidoran before brock. This game was incredibly easy afterwards because you get all of the starters. I guess kids think pokemon games are hard without exp shares and hand holding though.
>>
>>31301579
>>31301757
>>31301757

High functioning autists who have the 30+ hour game memorized

>>31301822
this anon is correct. I beat Sabrina with four poison types and a kadabra. I was 10 levels underleveled but even the psychic type gym can be beaten with Toxic + Recover Kadabra.

>>31301949
>*tips fedora*

>>31302650
>>31305336
If you beat this game with Pikachu, you were handicapped. Even as a 5 year old I ditched Pikachu because its Rattata tier kek.
>>
>>31307173
>30+ hour game
Its barely 15
>>
>>31307173
You can beat RBY in 6 hours
>>
>>31307173
>he can't beat rby in under 3 hours
>>
>>31307327
>>31307306
>>31307259
The world record is 1:55
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.