[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people hate gen 5

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 6

File: 1419161036049.jpg (34KB, 396x388px) Image search: [Google]
1419161036049.jpg
34KB, 396x388px
Why do people hate gen 5
>>
>>31265255
Worst region design and worst pokemon designs
>>
>>31265255
Meme

I admit that pokeamerica was super bland tho
>>
>>31265276
hydreigon, galvantula, reuniclus, volcorona, gigalith, ferrothorn, golurk, jellicent
gtfo
>>
It may have had the most pokemon but this made a lot of the designs really lazy and also it did things which made it different than the other regions (like making only unova pokemon available which made a lot of fans mad) it also had one of the most cancerous metagames with weather lasting the WHOLE match.

However some gems we're amongst the trash designs of gen 5.
>>
Because they had to leave all their Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh favorites behind

Because the pokemon's designs took a major shift towards complicated and Omura-style artwork

Because they think a rehash of preexisting pokemon feels cheap

Because always moving sprites is worse than both still sprites and always moving models

Because the protags are too old for them to masturbate to

Honestly I love it, the plot is great, God Bless America, Waifus that make Gen 7 look like Sword Art Online, and I love a lot of the pokemon designs. Competitive viability aside, Haxorus is the most badass looking dragon around. But I can see why people would dislike it.
>>
>>31265305
Worst designs to good designs ratio*
>>
>>31265325
That's because it introduced like 150 new mons
>>
>>31265330
That's not an excuse
>>
Because they are contrarianfags with nostalgia glasses who sperg out on designs such as Vaniluxe and Garbodor, cherrypicking and ignoring that every gen has its own amount of flaws.
>>
>>31265255
It's a good gen that actually did something different which upsets hoenn and sinnoh babbies tremendously.
>>
>>31265255
Garbage story
Cringe-inducing worst "evil" team
Awful pokemon selection
All 3 starters are completely useless, literally the only generation where starters should be replaced ASAP
Worst E4 by far, first game doesn't even have a champion, just some retarded mary sue shit instead, most annoying victory road as well
Too polarised, every thing is either really good or completely garbage
>>
>>31265376
Lmao why call out those two groups? If anything it's the genwunners/ Jotodders that were upset by Gen 5
>>
>>31265255
Fucking disgusting overall aesthetic, forgettable characters, weird and stupid designs (not all), underwhelming ost, (Except for colress's theme) forgettable characters, shitty professor (fuck off with waifuing, she was dull and boring) ugly male mc in bw2, etc etc
>>
Because it feels completely different to the rest of the franchise. That's basically what all the complaints boil down to. And naturally, the things that are most different are often the most divisive.
>>
>>31265386
Are you describing X and Y?
>>
I started replaying White and it honestly isn't as bad as I remembered it.
The starters are crap, yes. But some of the better aspects like more challenging gym leaders, using Pokemon you weren't used to, the music, etc were very refreshing.
I look forward to doing challenge mode in White 2 when I get to it.
>>
>>31265633
Nice try unovabort
>>
>>31265276
Pretty much this. Also:

>Poorly conceived and executed plot that plebs praise because it's the series first attempt at something remotely 'deep'
>Lack of any decent side content. Triple and Rotation Battles are not even remotely fun and were clearly added just so GF can say they 'added shit'. Pokemon Musical is a bland, stripped down version of contests. BW2 helped this a bit with PWT, Pokestar Studios is fairly restrictive.
>Lack of a good postgame
>Every trainer has 3/4 Pokemon other than the final bosses of BW/Champion.
>Lackluster OST save for a few standout pieces
>>
>>31265305

the elemonkies, Maractus, Unfeazant, Basculine, Alolamola, the shit tier staters(besides the one you like execption not rule), the copypaste genies
>>
>>31265276

Well memed.
>>
some of the worst pokemon designs ever, 2nd only to gen 1
>>
>>31265730
>rotation
>bad
shit taste
>>
>>31265526
Still not getting a response, unovafags.
>>
>>31265376
I am a Sinnohbabby, and I loved that choice of making everything new
>>
>>31265730
>Every trainer has 3/4 Pokemon
Which pokemon version does this NOT describe?
>>
>>31265376
You can't even pull out genwar shitposting properly
>>
>>31265276
No one mentioned Sinnoh
>>
>>31265878
Here's your (You)
>>
>>31265917
I was asking to be btfo, bud. I still haven't been disproven.
>>
>>31265915
Sinnoh is far better as a region design. Unova is literally a circle.
>>
>>31265899
Garbage romhacks retards are usually playing
>>
>gens 2, 3 and 4 all made exciting and fresh changes to the series
>BW comes along with nothing new and feels like a gen 4 expansion pack
>>
>>31265255
The Sinnohfetus and Gen4shitters can't accept that Gen 5 is objectively superior in every possible way.
>>
>>31265730
>Every trainer has 3/4 Pokemon other than the final bosses of BW/Champion
So basically every pokemon game ever made

Honestly the only point I agree with is BW having only Unova pokemon, which was fixed in B2W2 anyway. Everything else seems like bitching for the sake of bitching
>>
>>31265966
Sinnohfetus here. I liked gen 5. I think you mean genwunners who were upset that their fat lizard wouldn't be obtainable.
>>
>>31265305
Every time the topic is on gen 5 designs, someone always argues that a few designs were good.

Just face it, most Unovan pokemon didn't look appealing. At least the gameplay was worth it.
>>
>>31266060
It's been unobtainable in every generation? You couldn't get Kanto starters in GSC, RSE or DPPt. If anything, Charizard Bridge made Zardfags happy. There's a big location named after their favorite now.
>>
>>31266102
>most Unovan pokemon didn't look appealing
That's what I thought about Sinnoh and Hoenn.
>>
>>31265255
As someone who loved all of gen 5 and wish Gamefreak would be that ambitious again, some of its flaws include extremely boring route progression (m-muh circles) and the first games had terrible early game variety. It's only autistic mongoloids who get triggered by the exclusivity of gen 5 mons and hating their designs is just a meme, gen 4 and 5 were a stretch of pretty high quality Pokemon designs, and before you mention any shitmons every gen ever has them. At least it wasn't as bad as Johto.

Other little things include the c-gear and the dream world was 100% shit. Everything else though is polished to perfection. BW2 are easily the best games in the series overall, with a ridiculous fuck ton of things to do both during the main game and after.
>>
>>31265276
Hoenn was Gen III
>>
>>31265899
>>31265984

Every significant trainer*, my mistake

Gens 2-4 have many gym leaders, late-game trainers, the rival all with 4+ Pokemon. Wattson has 4 Pokemon in Emerald, Winona has 5. Barry has a full team when you fight him at the Pokemon League, compare this to Hugh/Cheren who have a team of 4 when you fight them for the last time during the main campaign. A lot of BW's boss battles are underwhelming compared to previous gens.
>>
>>31266139
Aside from the Hoenn starters, I also felt the same way.
>>
>>31265276
>Pignite and Emboar
>Monkeys
>Stunfisk
>Vanillite line
>Alomomola
>Klink line
>Original Genie forms
>Keldeo

These are the only ones that are bad. 20 out of 156 aren't good.
>>
>>31266114
Nah, people were upset that their past pokemon couldn't be obtainable. I just used Charizard as an example. I don't think Driftveil Drawbrigde did much to appease Genwunners though.
>>
Haters gonna hate. no deeper reason beyond that.

every gen had its shortcomings, every region had annoying spots. the ony constant is, haters gonna hate.
>>
>>31265255
>frogposting
How does he keep getting away with this?!
>>
>>31266202
Nothing before that had been done to appease genwunners. There was no genwun pandering in RSE or DPPt. The only thing BW did was force people out of their comfort zone. That applies to everyone, not just genwunners. And it was a great idea. I've seen people say they don't like Gen 5 Pokemon, but most of the times, I only see people praising the idea of having a new set of 150+ Pokemon and making it completely different.
>>
>>31265732
I actually think Maractus, Unfeazant, Basculine, and Alomomola look fine.

>>31265320
>Because the pokemon's designs took a major shift towards complicated and Omura-style artwork

I don't understand this.

>>31265376
>It's a good gen that actually did something different which upsets hoenn and sinnoh babbies tremendously.

Hoenn and Unova are my two favorites regions.

>>31265611
>Because it feels completely different to the rest of the franchise. That's basically what all the complaints boil down to. And naturally, the things that are most different are often the most divisive.

>>31265688
>I started replaying White and it honestly isn't as bad as I remembered it.
>The starters are crap, yes. But some of the better aspects like more challenging gym leaders, using Pokemon you weren't used to, the music, etc were very refreshing.
>I look forward to doing challenge mode in White 2 when I get to it.

Underrated comments.

>>31265950
>>BW comes along with nothing new and feels like a gen 4 expansion pack

If you think Gen 5 didn't bring anything new to the series then you're either trolling or retarded.

Rotation battles, Triple battles, Hidden Abilities, Graphics were improved from Diamond and Pearl, rustling grass or rippling water where rare Pokemon and etc. can be found, TMs now have infinite usage, new moves introduced, Seasons, and 156 new Pokemon.
>>
>>31265255
They thought it was hard
>>
>>31265255
There's the recent meme and that it's actually too hard for some people.
>>
>>31265316
>It may have had the most pokemon but this made a lot of the designs really lazy
Such as?
Keeping in mind that lazy =/= not having crazy, wacky nonsensical lines and zigzags like gen 4.
>>
>>31265386
>first game doesn't even have a champion
N says hi.
He beat Alder so he became the champ.
>>
>>31267077
>that it's actually too hard for some people.

How? Explain yourselves people who think it's too hard.
>>
>>31265255
becus trashbag pokemon lol
>>
>>31265935
A cluttered region is never better than one that isn't.
Unova had far more areas to explore too.
>>
>>31265950
>gens 2, 3 and 5 all made exciting and fresh changes to the series
>>DP comes along with nothing new and feels like a gen 3 expansion pack
Ftfy
>>
File: 1438108695310.jpg (522KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1438108695310.jpg
522KB, 1920x1080px
>>31265276
>>31265732
>>31266102
>>31265526
>>31265746
>shitting on pokemon designs
A reminder to get a load of this and be grateful for what you have
>>
>>31267355
Dude, half of the people who "played" and don't like Gen 5 don't know about the majority of things that are unlocked through playing the game. Which leads us to one of two things, they didn't in fact play the game or they found it too hard to finish.
>>
>>31265255

Gen 5 is an abomination. We could have gone straight from Gen 4 to Gen 6 and it would have been decent. I guess I like some of the stupid pokemon lines like Chadelure and Klinklang tho
>>
>>31267435

Gen 4 is the gen with the best UI, and introduced online. Only flaw in Gen 4 is the painfully slow battles
>>
>>31267709
Hidden Machine Overdose.
>>
>>31265915
This, Sinnoh sucks.

Most obnoxious region with HM usage.

Cut
Fly
Surf
Strength
Defog (Outdoors Flash)
Rock Smash
Waterfall
Rock Climb (Onland Waterfall)

Cycling road rehashed from Kanto and Hoenn, Solaceon Ruins rehashed Ruins of Alph from Johto etc

Almost all of the caves in the region (there's a lot of them) recycle the same graphics and music and aren't distinguishable from one another.

The Snow and Marsh routes were a pain to traverse.

Route 216
Route 217
The whole route is covered in snow, meaning that it is impossible to ride a bicycle. In some places, the snow is so deep that it cannot be run through and as a result of the snow.

Route 212
A marsh tile is a special tile introduced in Pokémon Diamond and Pearl. When the player walks on these tiles, they may become stuck in an unseen hole and unable to move.
>>
>>31267709
Slow battles
Shittiest e4, barring platinum
Stupidest villains, bar Flare.
Introduced Looker, a sin that can't be washed.
Padded with pointless legendaries.
Almost all the good designs and stats went to cross-gen evos.
Most of which were PostGame/Platinum exclusive.
Defog.
Super Contests adding two shit minigames before the RNG-Fest every time.
Most backtracking in any region.
The path to Snowpoint.
Started the braindead rival string.
>>
>>31265255
The games just looked and sounded ugly to me.

I just don't ever see myself playing the games themselves ever again.

I love some of the Pokemon the gen gave us though.

Liepard, Jellicent, Mandibuzz and Escavalier are awesome.
>>
>>31267987
>Stupidest villains, bar Flare.
>conveniently forgetting GSC/HGSS and RSE
>>
File: bw_sprite-con-nomi.png (245KB, 1728x1098px) Image search: [Google]
bw_sprite-con-nomi.png
245KB, 1728x1098px
>>31266102
This. There were a lot of Unova Pokémon I liked a lot. Victini, Genesect, Carracosta, Hydreigon, Krookodile, Cryogonal, Musharna, and a few others had really nice designs IMO that were more in line with what Pokémon has been about since gens 1&2. I even liked Garbodor, as it made sense for the region and had precedent with Muk and Wheezing as a pollution mon.

But some of the others just leave you scratching your head. Either they were just too unbelievable, like Vanilite, or they were derivative and boring, like Seismitoad. There was also a lot of repetitiveness, like genies, simians, and four deer based Pokémon.

On the whole the gems were too diluted by all the crap, though I'm glad they have been allowed to shine through over the years while the crap has been all but forgotten.
>>
>>31266966
none of those "new" features are impressive especially compared to what every other gen brought to the table
>>
>>31268039
>Wargle will never be known by his Japanese name again
Why live?
>>
>>31268039
My biggest gripe has to be the Klink line and the original genies, I just don't get how they could be so lazy to just reuse sprites, even the elemental monkeys at least got original sprites.

Anyway, I'm glad they're going the quality over quantity road now, even if some of them are still bad. Having a region where you can only find 150 all-new Pokémon until postgame sounds like a great idea, but they just based way too many of them on pre-existing lines.
>>
>>31265255
e4 team - larvesta vanillish zweilous rufflet

that's why
>>
>>31268017
Team Rocket R: Mafia goons desperately trying to recreate their glory. Find a way to force evolution to super power their forces.
A bit more "anime" than Gen 1, but still largely competent in idea.

Team Magma/Aqua: Let's awaken an old god using a relic said to keep it under control and use it to shape our region to our idea.
Pretty bad, not gonna lie.

Team Galactic
So... we're gonna summon god's two archangels. And bind them with these chains made somehow by torturing lil elves. We'll then destroy the world to recreate it in our image. If that doesn't work, plan B is to try to just control Lucifer.

Uhhhhm. No. Still almost as bad as Lysandre's "muh beauty" death laser.
>>
File: 2017-01-07_13-21-50.png (51KB, 299x757px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-07_13-21-50.png
51KB, 299x757px
I'm miffed
>>
>>31268392
I honestly think the only reason gen 1 had so many good designs for one region was because it was stuck in development hell for most of the 90s. They had a lot of good designs, so many that some had to be kept out of the final game and moved to gen 2, but they just couldn't make a non-buggy game with them. Gen V had the opposite problem it seems, a solid engine to work with but not enough decent designs.
>>
Liligant was the only pokemon I liked.
>>
>>31265255
I don't think I've ever seen anyone come up with a complaint towards gen 5 that doesn't ultimately boil down to "I don't like the Pokemon designs". Seriously nigga it's 2017, download an emulator and the rom and hack in a team you want to use if the designs analpain you so much.
>>
>>31265633
I kek'd
>>
>>31265276
OP said gen 5, not gen 4

>>31265386
take out the starters and this perfectly describes gen 4

>>31265633
also this

>>31265935
from all objective standards, Sinnoh is a terribly designed region. I've worked on designing JRPGs before, and my team of about 4 people would be fired immedietely if we made something like sinnoh.

>>31267709
>only flaw

kek

>>31265255
Gen 5 was more of a generation where instead of trying to introduce a bunch of new game-changing features, it tried to simply polish the flaws of the previous generation while also adding a lot more smaller changes and QOL changes.
>>
>>31268471
what am I looking at?
>>
>>31270167
>OP said gen 5, not gen 4
Exactly, so his point on Gen 5 being shit is completely correct
>take out the starters and this perfectly describes gen 4
So you're basically saying, that while Gen 4 is shit, Gen 5 is even more shit? Nice.
>my team of about 4 people would be fired immedietely if we made something like sinnoh
Yeah, well my team of 40 people would get fired if they ever made something as linear as Unova :^)
This is how retarded you sound.
>Gen 5 was more of a generation where instead of trying to introduce a bunch of new game-changing features
And that's pretty much why it's boring. While it's changes are certainly appreciated, it can't really stand up to other generations in how fun it is. Being forced to use ugly shitmons was not fun at all, no matter how much unovabortions try to shill it as the opposite.

tl;dr Kek, stay mad, cuck.
>>
>>31270365
>it can't really stand up to other generations in how fun it is.
Fun being determines by what exactly?
Content?
For a first game BW has a surprising amount of content. BW2 has yet to be topped.

Exploration?
Unova was filled with optional and fairly tucked away areas. Enough to put, say Sinnoh to shame.
Unova 2 bolstered that with things like the relic passage, castelia sewers and clay tunnel to name a few.
Environment?
Well it is the only game with a dynamic environment so that's a bit unfair for everything else.

I could go on but you get the picture. Either you're nostalgia addled and refuse to accept anything but gen 4 or you're just using fun as a cop out.

Also linearity is much, much more preferable to the convoluted mess that was Sinnoh. Why do you think GF had to go full damage control when people complained about it?
>>
>>31270365
>Exactly, so his point on Gen 5 being shit is completely correct
is joke

>So you're basically saying, that while Gen 4 is shit, Gen 5 is even more shit? Nice.
that post didn't really describe gen 5 at all, it more described gen 4. and even if all of those points were true, 4 still has half a dozen more flaws to add on.
>Yeah, well my team of 40 people would get fired if they ever made something as linear as Unova :^)
Unova isn't amazing, but for a JRPG it's still a well designed setting. JRPGs with levelling need to have linear maps, that's a basic rule of making them.
>And that's pretty much why it's boring. While it's changes are certainly appreciated, it can't really stand up to other generations in how fun it is. Being forced to use ugly shitmons was not fun at all, no matter how much unovabortions try to shill it as the opposite.
you literally took the only part of my argument where I admitted that 5 had flaws, and ignored the part where I explained why those flaws didn't matter.

>tl;dr Kek, stay mad, cuck.
reddit please leave
>>
We're faggots who can't make up our minds.
>>
>>31265688
I felt like this too. Replaying all of the games before SM helped clear some things up for me. I actually ended up not liking gen 2 as much as I thought I did. Same with gen 4 (including HGSS).
>>
>>31270167
>Gen 5 was more of a generation where instead of trying to introduce a bunch of new game-changing features, it tried to simply polish the flaws of the previous generation while also adding a lot more smaller changes and QOL changes.

I wouldn't say that. Gen 5 made quite a few attempts at changing the game from triples and rotations to true combo moves although they were limited to the oath moves.
I'd say it was both an improvement and game changing gen but many didn't adapt to the latter. While the previous gen, 4 didn't really attempt to change anything beyond the split instead opting for gimmicks like the poketch and downgrading previous forms of content like bases, Contests and the BF.
But downgrades aside I suppose you could say it acted more like a small expansion to gen 3.
>>
This thread is giving me second hand embarrassment.
>>
Friendly reminder that a lot of features that you use today began in gen 5, so watch your mouth before you talk shit about it.
>>
>>31270740
I know right?
I'm starting feel ashamed of being a Sinnohfag.
>>
>>31270750
Even more important features came out in other generations, including even gens 4 and 6. So I can talk shit about 5, the worst generation, as much as I want.
>>
>>31273338
>Even more important features came out in other generations
More important than random match-making, standard rules for online play, trading directly from boxes, the Battle Box...?

I doubt it. XY gave us nothing but the PSS that was removed, and DP only gave us a shitty GTS that you couldn't even search for pokemon not registered on your dex.
>>
>>31273450
>physical/special split

That alone makes Gen 4 do more than what Gen 5 could have ever hoped to accomplish.
>>
File: 5e2.jpg (106KB, 554x439px) Image search: [Google]
5e2.jpg
106KB, 554x439px
>>31273553
>unbalanced mechanics change makes gen 4 better

Uh, ok then. If you're so determined to hate gen 5 then I can't do anything.
>>
>>31273734
>the mechanic that made physical Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Ice, Psychic, Dark, and Dragon types actually good and that also made special Normal, Ground, Rock, Steel, Bug, Poison, Ghost, Fighting, and Flying actually worthwhile
>somehow bad

I don't think I'd have a problem with unovabortions if most of them weren't so biased and dense.
>>
>>31270203
Evolution levels of pokemon, these are the highest. Gen 5 went crazy stupid with high as fuck levels that you couldn't reach before the elite 4 partly in thanks to the new exp formula. The fact that Ghetsis could have a lv54 Hydreigon didn't help.
>>
File: mayu.jpg (72KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mayu.jpg
72KB, 1280x720px
>>31273938
>actually good
Go ahead and post a list of them that are OU right now, but weren't in gen 3.

Getting new STAB means nothing when the already strong pokemon got even better STAB and in the process most monotypes became ten times worse. But honestly, I'm so tired of discussing this.

I don't really care about what you think of gen 5 or whatever. Just hope you aren't the kind who ever complains about poor balance, because your precious split is what enabled it.
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.