[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Long Winded Rant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_4713.png (128KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4713.png
128KB, 320x240px
>Gamefreak doesn't like making non-handheld games
>The non-handheld games made by Genius Sonority are two of the best in the entire series and are lauded for being something different and fun

Why doesn't GameFreak just allow Genius Sonority to make another game for the switch in the same vein as Colosseum/XD? Think of it

>Console Pokémon adventures are proven to be successful and can be compatible with whatever the current gen Pokémon game is through Bank.
>Allows the player to have a break from taking their 3DS everywhere and play at home, while also giving them a new option to play on the handheld portion of the Switch
>You actually get to accrue more usable Pokémon, just like you could in Colosseum back in the day, maybe throw in some new Orre forms while they're at it
>Have an online mode where people can battle on their TVs Battle Revolution style
>Post-game would be Mt. Battle revamped

I just don't see why they're ao scared of making complimentary console games that allow you to add to your collection and connect to their handheld games. Plus we'd be getting more Pokémon instead of waiting 5 years (they havent even started developing on the switch). Thoughts?
>>
>>31253422

After the abomination that was Pokemon Battle Revolution, Genius Sonority is stuck on shovelware duty.
>>
The Console Games had the novelty of being 3D.
Now the only novelty they would have is being in HD, but Switch will change that.
There is no longer any need for these types of games according to GameFreak.
>>
Colosseum and GoD didn't make enough money and were just another way for people to complete their Dex, especially Colosseum.
And I think GF/tPCi doesn't see the point of creating 3D games when their handheld games are already 3D.

A big shame we won't be seeing any more of these games, though.
>>
>Orre form Johto mons
>Dark/Rock Typhlosion
Motif is a volcano drying up in Orrrs desert like conditions and forming rock like skin. A nefarious and scary Pokemon used by thugs in Orre.
>Ground/Fighting Feraligatr
Since water was where it got its food, it had to adapt to a life on land
>Fire/Dragon Meganium
Intense heat from the desert sun magnified its power
>>
Go lookup how much Colosseum/XD sold then proceed to eat a shoe.
>>
While a remake is pretty pointless, I always thought it sucked that there are literally 0 references to these games, even the region cant be named.

>Tfw you will never battle Wes
>>
>>31253618
I thought only the main games were canon.
>>
>>31253618
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjOEj0JV0Ro
Maybe Lusamine's from Orre.
>>
Fuck I would love a new Stadium game

Or if the Switch version had a Stadium mode kinda Battle Tree/Frontier with the same pre-game (choose 3/6 pokemon) as well as a caster as the Stadium games
>>
>>31254508
The amount of parallels between Skull/Aether and Snagem/Cipher are honestly enough to make me believe we might get another Orre game. The little Cipher motif in Lusamine's theme just seals the deal.
>>
>>31254508
I can hear it. The first two seconds of the top of the mountain where the League is reminds me of the first seconds of Colosseum's title screen music.
>>
>>31253618
Orre would be the perfect excuse for a desert region.
>>
I feel like it'd be a Monkey's Paw if we got one. It would probably still be good, but not enough to match the Gamecube ones.

Also I just know they'd force Riolu to be your starter because muh shadow aura. I just know it.
>>
File: 1481418430279.jpg (9KB, 255x247px) Image search: [Google]
1481418430279.jpg
9KB, 255x247px
>>31255972
>mfw you're probably right
>mfw wouldn't be able to box Riolu/Lucario unless you don't want to identify and therefore capture any Shadow Pokemon
>>
>>31253422
>two of the best in the entire series and are lauded for being something different and fun
I assume you haven't played them for over ten years and never looked at review scores, then?
>>
File: Colosseum-Ohmori.png (784KB, 814x1163px) Image search: [Google]
Colosseum-Ohmori.png
784KB, 814x1163px
I'm going to have to make this a copypasta.

Genius Sonority owns exclusive rights to the scenario of Colosseum and Gale of Darkness. You will never see the games alluded to in the main series because that would entitle GS to a share of the profits of that game. If the royalties would be even 1% gross, that's a lot of cash to give up for games that sell millionswhen they can avoid it by simply not referencing Orre.

The main point of evidence for this is the coding for 'Distant Land' instead of 'Orre' when GameCube-mon were traded to the GBA games. This is a pretty direct example of what I mean: if the data actually acknowledged 'Orre', a part of the scenario owned by GS, then GF would have to pay royalties from sales of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FR/LG to GS. Pretty easy to avoid by just not naming Orre.

That's really been the only thing to come of it since then. What does it mean going on from there? Not really much, but at this point you have two good games that you can't acknowledge because you don't want to give up the extra cash. So what can you do?

- Either make indirect allusions to the games meant as references that are loose enough for diehard fans to catch, but still loose enough to avoid rights infringement. Problem with this is there's no real benefit to it.
- Use the games as an inspiration for games you make going onward. i.e. they're playing the games for ideas, and coming up with similar stuff just to get out of their own writer's block/otherwise. So you're going to notice commonalities because the idea came from the GameCube games, but you're not meant to 'get it' in terms of being a reference.

If anyone's ever taken something like a Pokemon fanfic and then tried to scrub out all the copyright terms from it into something more generic, you might better appreciate what I'm alluding to with the second point. This is almost the reverse - GF is taking a Pokemon "fanfic" made by GS, and making the better fit into their world.
>>
File: green lex luthor.png (199KB, 321x306px) Image search: [Google]
green lex luthor.png
199KB, 321x306px
>>31256189
If there's one thing I want them to adopt from the Orre Games, is making Double Battles the standard or at least much more common.
I mean, VGC and some Global Link Competitions are Doubles, there's a huge emphasis on Doubles-only Moves and Abilities with every generation to further support VGC, so why is it borderline nonexistent in the maingame, usually to a point where you only ever engage in a Double Battle within that game's Battle Facility?
>>
>>31256280
Pokemon Colosseum was actually really unpopular for forcing double battles back in the day.

In 2003, everyone was upset at the Pokemon left out of Ruby and Sapphire, saw double battles as a gimmick, and Colosseum only just sort of solved the first problem (primarily it was bemoaned for not having any Kanto Pokemon in it), and went all in on the second.

XD was similarly unpopular, because despite giving in on both aspects, we quickly realized Kanto Pokemon weren't in Colosseum because their Stadium 1 graphics were noticeably dated, and without double battles the game became this bland, sort of aimless, halfbreed between Colosseum and the mainline games, without the heart of either game.

My parents went to great pains to making sure they didn't spoil me, so I had to choose between a GBA and a GCN. I figured the GameCube was the smarter pick, so while everyone was playing Ruby and Sapphire, I waited in vain - Colosseum was very much a fluke and a whole single-player scenario was an unexpected miracle from heaven for me.

I loved the shit out of that game, but I know for a fact these games weren't popular. I'd try to talk about Colosseum on a Pokemon forum, and there would be a couple posts talking shit about double battles, another one talking about how lame the selection was ("why aren't there wild Pokemon?")

All the popularity on /vp/ all these years later doesn't really align with the reception it got at the time.
>>
>>31256405
This is also my experience with it. I was one of the few who liked it. My brother didn't like it, my friend didn't like it, he did like XD001, though, and the people at Serebiiforums didn't like it.
>>
>>31253422
the golden age of vidya spinoffs is gone, my dude. it's no longer profitable, which in turn negates even the slightest hint of suggesting a passion project. you will never see pokemon this innovative and unique ever again. it needs to recede into cult status in order to have competent developers behind the wheel.

literally anyone but gamefreak makes good pokemon games. chunsoft and sonority both did wonders for the variety of the franchise that no one but us appreciates. the real question you need to ask it, what will it take for gamefreak to realize that their biggest market is the loyal fans in their 20's?
>>
Didn't GF absorb a bunch of GS staff around BW which is why GS only makes handheld shit now.
>>
>>31256609
According to GameFreak, the "loyal fans in their 20s" are the Genwunners.
And since the sales on XY and SM have proven successful when they included plenty of blatant pandering, they'll never stop until it ceases to be profitable.
>>
>inb4 orre variants
>>
>>31253422
>Why doesn't GameFreak just allow Genius Sonority to make another game for the switch in the same vein as Colosseum/XD? Think of it
Because GF handles competition poorly. See Prism.
>>
>>31256701

That was all NoA.
>>
>>31256609
>what will it take for gamefreak to realize that their biggest market is the loyal fans in their 20's?

Dude, as a 27 year old who's posting on /vp/, the fact they put in Mega Evolutions in XY, and Alolan Forms of Kanto Pokemon in SM, even though they're kind of "not getting" what it is I actually want out of the games, is the realization you're talking about.

All of the original 150 could've easily gone into the relative obscurity that a lot of Generation II Pokemon have fallen into, in favor of the Unova 150. In fact, GF might even prefer it, since the original 150 aren't as popular with kids as whatever new Pokemon that were marketed at them, their designs aren't "optimized" for 3D models the way the new Pokemon are (you know all those Pokemon design comparison threads? guess what: the blobbier, simpler colored Pokemon are a lot less work to model), so in many regards they're a pain in the ass GF might one day be happy to drop, if it didn't mean losing the older audience.

Tangential, here: I'm not necessarily sure if this is what you mean, but I think the worst thing Pokemon could do is pull a 'Rogue One' and try to legitimize the franchise for its older audiences by making the games noticeably darker and aimed for an older audience.

You like a kid's franchise. It's not ideal, but it is what it is and if you're still in it 20 years after the fact, it's a part of who you are.

If you meant more games like Colosseum, I think the stated intended audience of that game was for kids that were around my age when they came out. So 12-15 year olds (whereas Pokemon mainline is meant to be for kids as young as 8-12 to pick up and start playing).
>>
>>31256782
Doing a rogue one with spinoff games would be a good compromise, I think.
>>
>>31256631
Source? Also if GS winds up being bought/integrated into Nintendo or game freak would the rights to orre go back to them?
>>
>>31257640
That would only be if the company is fully integrated, which it isn't. GS still owns the rights until their dying breath.
>>
>>31257689
Which may come soon, seeing as they haven't been making any games lately.
>>
>>31257732
Aren't they the ones who make Shuffle? as long as that lives I don't see them going anywhere
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.