[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For manga fans, which names should Lavender Scanlations use, /vp/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

File: 2131.png (1MB, 612x918px) Image search: [Google]
2131.png
1MB, 612x918px
Hi all, I'm Crt. I translate the B2W2 manga and I co-translate the SM manga.

I lurk /vp/ and I'm typically always located in the manga threads answering people's questions.

So this is a poll hosted on strawpoll for the protagonist names. In Japanese-Engrish, their names are Lack-Two and Whi-Two (after the games, Black 2 and White 2).

In the official version by VIZ, their names were changed to Blake and Whitley, the names of the beta names for the protagonists in the first game.

I'm reaching out to the small few who browse /vp/ and read the manga and would like to know what you would prefer for the names of the protagonist in our future releases.

http://www.strawpoll.me/12039509
>>
>>31237973
I don't understand why they just don't go with the names of the protags from the games. Blake is okay but why not just call the guy Nate? The name is already there.
>>
>>31238005

Perhaps it's to show a distinction between the game and manga counterparts. They're counterparts, but not the same person.

It's very much like the Red vs Ash debate. Ash is the anime counterpart of Red whether people like it or not. It doesn't mean that he's a very good counterpart because he keeps losing every league tournament.
>>
>>31238036
>It's very much like the Red vs Ash debate

I suppose that makes a little more sense. Though Ash and Red have enough of a design difference to warrant the distinction, but I suppose that's as good of an answer I'm going to get.
>>
DESU, Blake is much better than "Lack-Two".

Did he lack twice as much what the fuck
>>
people still read the manga?
>>
>>31238334
Because now we have a dedicate scalation team for it, nobody was around to do XY arc and that is why not one gave a shit about it.
>>
>>31237973
As much as I hate them, I just vote Lack-two and Whi-two because I'm used to them.

>>31238005
They also sort of didn't have names in the beginning. Originally, Red was going to be called Satoshi in GSC, and at that time the Manga already called him Red. Same for Ethan. He originally didn't have a name, so the manga went with Gold. Now, he's named Ethan.
>>
Just go with what you were using. The jump from A to B will just be another criticism.
>>
>>31237973

Just drop the manga. It's not canon and it's a shitty manga that nobody reads.
>>
>>31237973
I guess you should just keep using the names you're using. Some people will find the sudden changes jarring and it's better to stay consistent, even if their names are fucking terrible.
>>
>>31237973
Aren't you the guy that some anon tried to bully into renaming Moon to Chicken-chan in your translations?

>>31218065
>>
File: 1443236722747.jpg (41KB, 500x294px) Image search: [Google]
1443236722747.jpg
41KB, 500x294px
>>31238627
>>
>>31238485
Pokemon Zensho called him Satoshi too, and that's literally the manga that sticks closest to the gen 1 games.
>>
>>31238719
And the actual very first pokemon manga (the clefary cringe shit) called him Red.
>>
>>31238689

the fuck is wrong with /vp/?

at least everyone in that thread has common sense except the anon op.
>>
>>31237973
>Lack-two and Whi-Two winning by a landslide
What the hell, theseare the most retarded names ever, how can you even imagine voting for that shit ? Human beings shouldn't be named that way.
>>
>>31238759
It's mostly because reading Rakutsu and Faitsu for 40+ chapters to suddenly switch to Blake/Whitley would be a pain.
>>
>>31238759
Fuck you, if we choose the others, that means viz wins, will you let those censorship fags win?
>>
>>31238778
I can perfectly get used to it, it's no big deal.

>>31238778
It's extremely childish to not recognnize Viz can be right sometimes.

Lack-two could make sense as an agent name, but normal names don't have fucking numbers in them.
>>
Viz ones are okay with me. Honestly, even being just a manga, it´s weird to call children after colors, gems and one letter only.
>>
>>31238848
I actually had a neighbor that had a kid named Q.
It was fucking weird. At the VERY least, X and Y are implied to actually have real names.
>>
>>31238757
It's because chicken-chanfags are the most cancerous shitposters here.
>>
>>31238776
Oh, I should mention... I'll do v2s for all the chapters to switch their names to VIZ names if VIZ wins.

So don't worry about that!
>>
>>31238866
Isn't Lack-two just a codename, like Looker?
>>
>>31238847
>normal names don't have fucking numbers in them.
I mean 2pac
>>
>>31238886
Well fug. You should just do blake/whitley then.
>>
>>31238887
Did you mean... "Handsome"?

I think there was a joke in B2W2 with Looker and his higher ups that even though he's named "Handsome" (JP name), he has no luck with the ladies.

Joke ruined cause his ENG name is Looker and it doesn't work quite as well.
>>
>>31238886
If you're going to do this, then yes, definitely change to Blake/Whitley. The main argument against those would be inconsistent name changing, but v2 takes care of that.
>>
>>31238946
French name is Beladonis, which literally means "handsome adonis", but it's hard to even spot the pun.
>>
>>31238971
this
>>
>>31238946
Yeah I really thought "Looker" meant "some dude that looks" not in the "He's a looker" fashion
>>
Will the croagunk die in BW2?
>>
Thank Arceus Viz had the sense to name them something other than Lack-Two and Whi-Two. Those are not names. They never will be names. Also partial to Blake as that is what I named Hilbert in my version of Black.
>>
>>31237973
Haven't we used the original names for literally everyone? Even retarded names like Dia? What makes these two special? I see continue using these. Besides, if I recall correctly, Lack-two isn't even his real name.
>>
>>31239130
We can't fuck up our language to make a Rakutsu and Faitsu.
I would've loved an attempt though.
>Balck and Wihet
>>
>>31239095
Nice!
>>31239130
Codename: Black No. 2 or Black 2
Aliases:
Blake (VIZ)
Rachel (VIZ messed up the first time)
Rakutsu (JP)
Lack-Two (JP ver in character profile and official site).
>>
>>31239156
>Whitoo
>>
>>31239196
So is he Black 2 because they all recognize that Black did awesome shit?
>>
>>31238886
Oh... if you're going to go through with the extra effort then you might as well switch.
>>
File: img000019.png (1MB, 1800x1300px) Image search: [Google]
img000019.png
1MB, 1800x1300px
Whatever names we use, don't forget why we are enduring mr.perfect and "N sama! why i am falling in love with this idiot?!"'s shenanigans.
>>
>>31239416
THE only thing I dislike about "mr.perfect" is that he broke Yancy's heart. Other than that, he's an okay character. I appreciate that he's actually good at what he does.
>>
File: light-yagami.jpg (40KB, 635x355px) Image search: [Google]
light-yagami.jpg
40KB, 635x355px
Reminder that japan loves lack2 because he is basically a pokemon version of pic related
>both are super talented
>both are "perfect"
>both manipulate girls's feelings for their own purposes, they don't care about the girl in question
I hope lack2 also snaps, laughs like a madman and get defeated like a bitch.
>>
>>31239542
He's going to get his shit pushed in by Colress, and his salt will awaken Black, who proceeds to go Super Saiyan on all of Team Plasma
>>
File: suffering.png (309KB, 877x667px) Image search: [Google]
suffering.png
309KB, 877x667px
>>31239579
I really hope White is the one that crushes him.
>>
>>31239579
>Lack2 versus Colress will be the Light vs N of Pokemon
Sign me up
>>
>>31239600
you mean L.
>>
File: Que.jpg (65KB, 714x682px) Image search: [Google]
Que.jpg
65KB, 714x682px
>>31239542
>MFW the creator revealed that the whole reason light went kira was that his mind couldn't live with the fact he killed someone (first two experiments with the death note) because he was "perfect", so he came out with the whole "i am the justice!" to avoid going immediately insane.
>>
Blake and Whitley are almost winning.

Guys, vote for them instead of fucking NUMBERS.
>>
Bump for more votes
>>
>>31238946
I dont know i think "hes a looker but has no luck with ladies" still works
>>
>lack 2 and whit 2 winning
Names dont have numbers in them
>>
>>31237973
Crt, for the love of God, change the names! People voted because of the inconsistent naming, but that isn't an issue anymore! Blake and Whitley are the names we need.
>>
There's already an official translation. Why bother translating?
>>
I much prefer Blake and whitley, but it's going to get confusing. Stick with the number names IMO
>>
>>31243153
He's going to revise the older translations to have Blake and Whitley, ergo no confusion or inconsistencies. No reason not to switch.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.