[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Erin Summerill Pokemon YA Novel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

File: photo_J0.jpg (93KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
photo_J0.jpg
93KB, 1080x1080px
My sister-in-law (pic related) and a good friend of mine is a published author with her work under the HMH label (known for their publications of EarthSea, The Hobbit, Curious George, and many more iconic IPs). You can find her work with a quick search on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or the HMH website itself, if you sleuth well enough. She's currently in the process of finalizing her Pokémon manuscript with her editor.

>Pokémon manuscript? What the fuck?

Nintendo / The Pokémon Company representatives approached her about the project close to two years ago. A series of YA novels based on the characters and world of the Pokémon brand was being put in motion around the time, with multiple authors set to write different stories for English-speaking consumers. The first novel in this proposed series is the one written by my sister-in-law. Currently, it's set for a 2017 Holiday season release, and having just finished reading a copy of the 3rd manuscript draft last night, I'm more than excited to talk about it with some fans/potential readers, as I'm more than proud of her. A disclaimer: the representative attached to her has made it clear that they're far enough along in the process of development that she (my sister-in-law) can openly speak about the novel, excluding press. A press release should be soon, but I wouldn't know when. All I know is the backstory and the manuscript itself.
>>
>>31237304
A tripcode before things get out of hand.
>>
So...what is this, exactly?
>>
>>31237357
A YA (Young Adult) adaptation of the Pokémon games Red/Blue and Gold/Silver/Crystal.
>>
So officially published fanfics? Eh, sure, why not. Hopefully having to deal with a real publisher and TPCi directly means the quality is a bit more above average.

So what are the plot details? Something Gen 1 related, I bet. Maybe a standard adventure story?
>>
>>31237414
Huh. That sounds pretty interesting, actually.
>>
>>31237414
I'm interested. If done right it could be great.
>>
>>31237414
>A YA (Young Adult) adaptation of the Pokémon games Red/Blue and Gold/Silver/Crystal.
>Gold will be named Ethan most likely and we'll get a somewhat official name for Silver
>Possible changes for future remakes of Kanto or Johto

I'm interested.
>>
>>31237414
which starter is chosen by Red and Blue?
>>
whos gonna be the love interest

YA books almost always have them, so might as well get it out the way
>>
>>31237479
Piggybacking on this, but what about Ethan and Silver? Any new characters?
>>
>>31237304
How good are her action descriptions? Is she good at writing exciting battle scenes?
>>
>>31237419
Spot on. The manuscript I read clocks in at 322 pages and tells a story loosely based on the first and second generation Pokémon titles.

The protagonist is a girl named Dakota, who moves from Cerulean City to Palette Town with her father. In first person prospective, the plot follows her on a journey through the Kanto region and finishes off in the Johto region.

According to the prologue, the novel takes place eight weeks after the events of Red/Blue.

>>31237479
Dakota is given a Squirtle, while her two rivals get a Bulbasaur and a Charmander.
Red and Blue both play roles in the story, don't freak.

>>31237474
>>31237532
Gold and his rival do not appear.

>>31237507
Dakota develops feelings for her rival Taylor, who chose Bulbasaur, but this isn't stated outright and I only picked up on this because of their behavior and dialog.

>>31237532
>Any new characters?
A lot.

>>31237557
The action is slightly above average. Attacks are described in detail, and there's generally a lot of tension. A simple 1v1 Pokémon battle takes five pages.
>>
>>31237557
Most important question. That's what's gonna separate this from the usual fanfiction trash.
>>
>>31237583
Wow, five pages is a lot. Does it flow well? A lot of writers describing action/combat tend to over describe certain things that interrupt the stream of action or otherwise slow it down, even really famous authors sometimes have this as a weak point.
>>
>>31237583
> Spreading your cancer to threads not your own.

Why haven't you killed yourself yet? Either that or you're samefagging hard here. Fuck you, fuck your fake leakes, and fuck this fake bullshit in the OP

HURR DURR POKEMON NOVELS

Get fucked man. Who believes shit like this. Goddamnit.
>>
File: Pokemon Rules.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px)
Pokemon Rules.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>31237583
I hope she knows about the "Hidden" rules of Pokemon canon like those in pic related. If not edits may be in order.
>>
>>31237583
Oh, they're not novelizations of the games. Guess I'm glad you elaborated then. Are there any hints of some sort of tie-in with the games in any way or is this just something different? Also what roles do Red and Blue play, does "Dakota" defeat them?
>>
>>31237583
>black female protagonist

Dropped.
>>
>>31237614
>Does it flow well?
Typically, yes. There are a few battles that drag, but it's only a few, and that's mainly due to dialog.

>>31237630
There's a reason they're on the 3rd draft.

>>31237634
I'm pretty sure this novel stands on its own, no relation to any potential games.
Red and Blue act as celebrities in the Kanto region, having both become champions.

>>31237641
Dakota is pale.
>>
>>31237657
>I'm pretty sure this novel stands on its own, no relation to any potential games.
Kanto remakes deconfirmed, boys, pack it up.
>Red and Blue act as celebrities in the Kanto region
Poor Red, considering how autistic the guy can be no wonder he went up the mountain.

Since it's in between RBY and GSC, is there any sort of references to "future" events in Gen 2? Like someone not being a gym leader yet or something.
>>
>>31237699
>Poor Red, considering how autistic the guy can be no wonder he went up the mountain.
I find this funny. Near the end of the story, Red actually does run away to Johto due to the stress of being in the spotlight.
>is there any sort of references to "future" events in Gen 2?
Minor ones related to the development of their gyms.
>>
>>31237762
>Near the end of the story, Red actually does run away to Johto due to the stress of being in the spotlight.
Fuckin' called it. Guess he doesn't talk too, huh?
>>
>>31237785
Nope. His Manager always speaks on his behalf.
>>
>>31237800
>His Manager
Wait what? How much of a celebrity are they being treated as here? Also, I'm just going to ask for a plot summary just to get as much information in a single post.
>>
>>31237657
>There's a reason they're on the 3rd draft.

Yeah, writing stuff can be Brutal sometimes as standards change and they don't always say what's what. Foe example, It's funny what they let slide in Pokemon Adventures that wouldn't fly these days. Pic related.
>>
>>31237835
>How much of a celebrity are they being treated as here?
Huge. Red and Blue are both the first and youngest champions of the Kanto region, and are idolized by trainers all over. They do interviews, sponsor tournaments and other trainers, and have their own "tours" where they travel the region to make special appearances. It all goes to Blue's head, of course. Red hates it.

>Plot summary
I'll need a while to write a detailed one out, unless you're cool with simple greentext.
>>
>>31237630
>never called "the earth"
Magikarp used Earthquake!
Sunkern used Earth Power!
>>
>>31238040
earth is an element, you dip
>>
>>31238040
In this case they're referring to earth as a synonym for dirt, ground, soil, ect.

They mean don't say things like "I wouldn't date you if you were the last man on EARTH!". They want to you say "I wouldn't date you if you were the last man on the PLANET!" instead
>>
>>31237882
>I'll need a while to write a detailed one out, unless you're cool with simple greentext.

Either one is fine by me. If you want to just lay out a greentext and come back to it later that's cool.
>It all goes to Blue's head
Of course it does.
>>
File: 1480761546425.jpg (49KB, 556x561px)
1480761546425.jpg
49KB, 556x561px
>>31237839
id forgotten this existed
>>
That's really cool OP, I'll have to make sure I pick up a copy for my little sister.

Ironically enough the older Pokemon books are what both really got us into reading when we were growing up. So I'm sure she will love it. Do you have a date for when it's set to release besides holiday 2017?
>>
File: 1420596103774.png (437KB, 437x851px)
1420596103774.png
437KB, 437x851px
Bump for interest
>>
It's interesting to note she puts this on her site:
>A whole new, collaborative project with XXX. Coming Soon...
While it could be really anything, OP isn't at least calling a random name for his information, if it were fake.
>>
OP here. I've got some personal complications. I'll try and get back as quickly as I can. Sorry.
>>
>>31239400
>Personal complications

This man either got caught or was making things up. I'm still interested in the ideas presented here even if it is fake as hell, so make it quick, yeah?
>>
>>31239400
smoke break
>>
And so, Book Anon disappeared to the sands of time.
>>
>>31239545
Nah this shit sounds strange enough to be believable. It literally came out of left field; I don't think anyone expected a Pokemon YA novel with a protagonist named "Dakota" in it. If this was some shit about a DP Remake full of the usual BS like megas, battle frontier, etc, then I'd discard it, but this seems pretty legit
>>
>>31241170
Yeah, but OP bailed before he could post a plot summary, so I'm not so sure.
>>
cool fanfic bro
>>
>>31241170
after the games get released anons have to get creative
>>
>>31237304
Oh boy, I can't wait for all the superfluous and unnecessary Pokemon "dialogue".

>Fire arced across the battlefield, covering so-and-so's Kabutops in a crimson deluge!
>"Kabu...tops..." it groaned.

How titillating.
>>
>>31237583
Oh god that sounds horrible; fucking dropped
>>
>>31237304
>>31237583
another roleplay thread? If this is actually real it sounds fucking stupid, I hope OP's just a roleplaying faggot
>>
>>31237414
>A YA (Young Adult) adaptation of the Pokémon games Red/Blue and Gold/Silver/Crystal.
>>31237583
>The protagonist is a girl named Dakota

What
>>
>>31244405
Clearly, it's the female protagonist's name in the story. Or, it could be a side story.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.