[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are some Pokemon so shit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_5011.jpg (17KB, 234x208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5011.jpg
17KB, 234x208px
Before you meme away can I please get a logical answer?

Why are some pokemkn inherently worse than others?

Why does Alolan Sandslash have 55 less BST than Alolan Ninetales, why not have both at 505?

Why is a Pokémon like Lurantis introduced when Tsareena outclasses it in every way?

Is it Game Freak retardation, not knowing how to make Pokémon even though it's been 20 years? Or am I missing something??

I don't see why Pokemon can't have the same BSTs (exceptions being psuedos and legends), have different uses and movepools, etc.

Can someone please fill me in with logic?
>>
>>31232592
Because Pokémon is not just competitive. Pokémon is also the in-game experience. If everything had roughly the same BST, the game would be busted since you'd be able to catch strong pokémon rather early.

Also BST is not everything. Kyurem-B is UU with 700 BST.
>>
Because Sandslash has that BST you fucking retard
>>
File: Carni.png (25KB, 449x331px) Image search: [Google]
Carni.png
25KB, 449x331px
>>31232592
Pokemon isn't just about competitive, GF also tries to build some form of meaning behind the abilities, movepools and stat distributions of pokemon. Naturally, some pokemon will result worse, since not all archetypes will be similar, and the rare misterious dragon will be naturally better than the kind but weak early bug that accompanied you through your journey's beginning.

This last part also helps world building, rarer pokemon are special, be it through power or niches, but they are special. Imagine searching hours to find that 1% mon nobody wants to trade you for and its just a raticate clone. That'd suck. Making it different, even worse, makes it special.

And besides, having them all have the same BST is stupid. In order for there to be good mons, there must be bad mons. You cant have a garchomp if everything else is scizor tier, you must have some ledians to make it stand out.
>>
>>31232658
True but it does suck to know that your favourite is just..worse..to another simply cause it's programmed to be worse for no real reason. Basically cause"GF said so."
>>
>>31232658
>>31232701
This

Also, the same BST would be stupid.
That being said, GameFreak is stupid and makes bad decisions consistently. That's one thing you can count on. The Japanese have a certain approach to things. Be consistent even if you're fucking wrong. And GF is good at consistently being wrong (then making half assed adjustments like giving Cryogonal 10 extra Attack or whatever)
>>
>>31232592
>Why does Alolan Sandslash have 55 less BST than Alolan Ninetales, why not have both at 505?
Because they're not counterparts.
The real question is why Ninetales has always had such a low BST compared to Arcanine.
>>
>>31232658
This. I swear I'll never understand people who only see Pokemon as a competitive game. It's a casual RPG first and a competitive game second. Some Pokemon are good, some Pokemon are shit. That's part of the game.
>>
>>31232592
Go play Touhou Puppet Dance Performance if you want a Pokemon-like game with everything at around the same BSTs. It's not as fun as you might think.

Every mon designed for attacking feels the same. Every wall feels the same. Half the mons are pointless to ever use because they can't really fill any role well.
>>
Let's use the real world as a comparison. Is everything a strong capable predator, or are some animals comparatively weaker than others?

Sure, you can have stuff like a bear vs a hippo, but you can also have mismatched stuff like a pigeon vs an ostrich.

Saying all Pokemon should be the same strength is like saying a seagull should be able to single handedly kill a lion.
>>
>>31232592
Because Game Freak doesn't give two shits about competitive Pokemon. At most they throw VGC fags a few bones here and there. But for the most part they are out to create an RPG where you catch and raise/breed monsters.

Some monsters are simply going to be fish, like Lumineon. That just exist in the world to give the world more Pokemon, and some are Garchomp, who are specifically designed to be a rape dragon who can tear shit up.
>>
>>31232801
>Also, the same BST would be stupid.
And how would it be more stupid than the current bullshit fest "lmao this pokemon which is not even rare or something has 100-200 more BST because it's our speshul snowflake"?
>>
>>31232829
>Because they're not counterparts.
>Evo lines are version exclusive
>Both evolve from an Ice stone
How?
>>
>>31232829
Being a 'counterpart' is irrelevant.

It's more a question of why is this one Pokemon inherently better? Or why do some Pokemon have to be shit?
>>
There would be fuckall for tangible variety if all 800 Pokemon were restricted by having the same BST
>>
>>31232592
Alolan Sandslash is the better pokemon though.
>>
>>31233464
What that dude is saying is:
Vulpix's counterpart has always been growlithe

Sandshrew's has always been ekans
>>
>>31233738
but not for the Alola forms
>>
File: 1481495222258.png (58KB, 279x300px) Image search: [Google]
1481495222258.png
58KB, 279x300px
>>31232592
>Why does Alolan Sandslash have 55 less BST than Alolan Ninetales, why not have both at 505?

Why should they? Every single Alolan form shares the same BST as their Kanto counterpart. Increasing Sandslash's BST to please your autism is quite idiotic.

>>31233677
>A-Sandslash better than Ninetales
>When it's only way of being viable is thanks to Ninetales being the only fast
mon w/Snow warning

The fact that you can use Ninetails outside of hail teams clearly shows who's the better mon.
>>
I just don't get why they don't even try for some of these mons. They give them signature moves, abilities, or something else but they still suck complete ass because they give them nothing else. They can't give Kommo-o a fighting move worth a crap? They can't make the regional shit rodent even a bit better so that it isn't dead weight past level 10? I'm not even expecting great balance or anything, but for them to put in a bit more effort. Some of this shit is absurd.
>>
>>31233677
A-Ninetales is better because Aurora Veil makes it a ridiculous team supporter outside of hail teams.
>>
Take some of these weak pokemon, some of which are barely usable even in game, much less in a more competitive setting. What currently good aspects of the game would be lost if these pokemon didn't suck?

People have been going through the entire game with their starter and some HM slaves for as long as Pokemon has existed. If most pokemon weren't terrible even in comparison to the first pokemon you get in the game, maybe that wouldn't happen so much?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.