[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The recent starter designs problem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 21

File: Starters.jpg (846KB, 1024x2183px) Image search: [Google]
Starters.jpg
846KB, 1024x2183px
GF needs to do some remedying. The must look back to see what made past designs so great.
>>
Hug a Bewear
>>
File: 1483363748264.png (19KB, 512x323px) Image search: [Google]
1483363748264.png
19KB, 512x323px
>>31226109
or you could just get over it.
>>
File: starters2.png (3MB, 4098x3058px) Image search: [Google]
starters2.png
3MB, 4098x3058px
>>31226109
>Decidueye
>Yellow
you not understanding =/= bad design
>>
>Blaziken doesn't come with new themes out of nowhere
>Primarina is humanoid
>Greninja comes with themes out of nowhere
>Serperior is a great design
>>
>>31226109
you're objectively wrong and also a retard

kill yourself immediately because this kind of shit opinion is incurable.
>>
File: IMG_1502.jpg (13KB, 350x291px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1502.jpg
13KB, 350x291px
>>31226109
>Blaziken
>not a red circle

Double standards much?
>>
>>31226109
>Charizard
>starts out as a slamander, a symbol of fire
>Suddenly spouts wings and becomes a dragon out of nowhere
Should get a yellow dot you fucking charizardfag
>>
>>31226142
Chubby owl > douche rich kid > rogue
Yeah totally can see the link
>>>>31226144
can see the martial artist them in Combusken

Primarina is the most feminine Poemon to date with defined eyelashes, beaded flowing hair, and practically wearing a dress

Greninja loses its bubbles for a random tongue scarf and gains random armour. The angular design is also jarring

Serperior is creative, based on europeon design, and can see the gradual progression from Snivy
>>
>>31226142
Do you expect anyone to understand how some fancy richboy owl turns into a slow fucking archer?
>>
>>31226144
>Blaziken doesn't come with new themes out of nowhere
but the theme has always been about cockfighting
why else would combusken look like it's about to scoop your shit out
>>
>>31226142
>Owltair is literally Decidueye but with 45% More Edge
>LE IT'S JUSTE GETS BEGGER MEEM
Ashamed
>>
Hoenn and Sinnoh were too damn perfect.
They reached the peak for starter designs.
Its all down hill from here lads.

They'll carry on with the furfag pandering using their new Cool one, Macho one, Feminine one themeing instead of just giving us straight up good monster designs.
>>
>>31226109

>Blaziken
>not a guy in a suit

It doesn't even look like a chicken anymore, it looks like a guy wearing a bird costume.
>>
>>31226189
>Primarina is the most feminine Poemon to date with defined eyelashes, beaded flowing hair, and practically wearing a dress
Feminine =/= Humanoid

I don't even like Primarina, but it doesn't have legs. I don't know how you can class Primarina as humanoid when Infernape and Blaziken are more humanoid.

>can see the martial artist them in Combusken
Yes, and the head and body shape is completely discarded.

>Greninja loses its bubbles for a random tongue scarf and gains random armour. The angular design is also jarring
So the tongue scarf is a problem but Charizard gaining wings out of nowhere isn't?

>Serperior is creative, based on europeon design, and can see the gradual progression from Snivy
>loses its legs
>gradual progression
>>
>>31226223
And suddenly it grows jet wings for hair and rocketbarrel legs
>>
>>31226240
>muh furry boogiemen

Opinion discarded.
>>
>>31226253
>jet wings for hair
Horus and Ra. Ancient deities with bird heads. They had that sort of thing going on. Considering Blaziken's humanoid stance, it would make sense for it to start bearing resemblance to them.
>rocketbarrel legs
Nice assumption, but no. Those legs are inspired by the Cochin chicken. Also, you know, chickens don't punch shit. They kick.
>>
>>31226109
>Charizard
>Creative

Kek.
>>
>>31226189

Don't ignore this >>31226247.
>>
>Primarina is humanoid but not the chicken with long hair and outright human-like body who is based off martial artists
I appreciate older gens too but nostalgiafags can't be this stupid.
>>
File: fixd.png (1MB, 1024x2183px) Image search: [Google]
fixd.png
1MB, 1024x2183px
>>31226109
ftfy
>>
>wartortlefags

kill yourselves you degenerate retards

twin cannons RULE
>>
File: you.jpg (372KB, 1024x2183px) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
372KB, 1024x2183px
>>
Some frogs are covered with bubbles until adulthood which Greninja is based on. The tounge scarf fits the theme of it being a ninja and a frog since they're known for their longe tounges. Only retards think the tounge scarf is random.
>>
>>31226657
this desu
>>
File: 1454495198285.gif (2MB, 400x187px) Image search: [Google]
1454495198285.gif
2MB, 400x187px
>>31226109
>Samurott ruins it's original concept and theming
Is it because it's a quadruped? Its still has a fuckton of samurai elements like the leg armor, the facial hair, the chest plate, the horned helmet etc. It even finalizes Oshawott's Shell=Sword idea. Come on, man.

Also Blaziken and Primarina need to switch colors. Primarina expands the "performer" theme and is still structured like a seal.

>>31226598
>Infernape
>humanoid.
Its the most animalistic of all the fire starters. Have you even seen it's running animation? Its no different from my mom's ape https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Ow07GxFNI
>>
File: image.png (166KB, 770x562px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
166KB, 770x562px
>>31226109
>Decidueye
>original concept is ruined
You what.
It had the archery theme going on since Rowlet. The final form even kept the bowtie.
>>
>>31226109
Game Freak needs to stop pandering to furries.
>>
>>31226817
Water Starters have the best designs.
>>
File: image.jpg (355KB, 1024x2183px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
355KB, 1024x2183px
Here's what I think...
>>
>>31226109
Why isn't Charizard green?
>>
>>31227562
>Sceptile, a lizard, is too humanoid.
>Blaziken, a husbando chicken with pubic hair is not
>Primarina just gets bigger
>Meganium doesn't
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>31226462
Infernape is a reference to Sun Wukong, who is a monkey, who is, y'know, humanoid, what with being a fellow primate and all.

Blaziken is definitely humanoid tho.
>>
>>31226109
>Decidnumale is the best of the three
Everytime
>>
>>31227726
because it doesn't just get bigger, it turns into a dragon.
>>
>>31226189
>Greninja loses its bubbles for a random tongue scarf
Because it licked them off you retard
>>
File: delphox has big pants.png (203KB, 1024x2183px) Image search: [Google]
delphox has big pants.png
203KB, 1024x2183px
>>
>>31227562
How is Incineroar less of a person in a fursuit compared to Infernape who is literally just a stylized monkey? Do you even know what "humanoid" even means?
>>31227822
>Cat becomes a fursuit and not a tiger
>Gender neutral Seal becomes feminine
>Decidueye retains it's animal proportions and isn't designed to appear masculine or feminine

Its obvious the owl would be the most preferred one of the three.
>>
>>31227894
Good opinion desu.
>>
File: Fennec-fox-at-burrow-entrance.jpg (84KB, 650x423px) Image search: [Google]
Fennec-fox-at-burrow-entrance.jpg
84KB, 650x423px
>>31227894
Good taste. I just really hate the direction they did with Fennekin to begin with. A burrowing fox would've been unique.
>>
>>31227906
Litten was destined to either evolve into a fursuit tiger man or a pseudo-digimon/"it just gets bigger" tiger.

Personally, I think what we got was better.
>>
>>31226109
Why is "larger version of its younger form" bad?
How is Torterra not "it just gets bigger" but Venusaur is?
>>
File: arrow-oliver-queen.jpg (168KB, 450x675px) Image search: [Google]
arrow-oliver-queen.jpg
168KB, 450x675px
>>31226191
>how some fancy richboy
>turns into a fucking archer
>>
>Lack of creativity indicated by green
>>
>>31227961
>Why is "larger version of its younger form" bad?
Pokemon Evolution is the equivalent of metamorphosis, not body growth. Why does Magikarp evolve into a serpent and not a bigger fish? Because evolution is polishing/refining a species, not enlarging them.
>How is Torterra not "it just gets bigger" but Venusaur is?
Have you even compared Turtwig with Torterra at all? They do not look identical.
>>
File: 018Pidgeot.png (57KB, 260x240px) Image search: [Google]
018Pidgeot.png
57KB, 260x240px
>>31228068
>Pokemon Evolution is the equivalent of metamorphosis, not body growth
Except when it's not.

>Bulbasaur
Dinosaur toad thing with a plant on its back that grows along with the Pokémon
>Turtwig
Turtle thing with a sapling on its back that grows along with the Pokémon

They're both the same shit from start to finish.
If your criteria is "looking identical" I'd sure like to know how you think Tepig and Emboar are somehow more similar than Snivy and Serperior.
>>
>>31228142
>Except when it's not.
Did you ignore my Magikarp example? That only makes Pidgeot a flawed design though. Spearow,Ratata,Ekans,Magikarp,etc change bird/rodent/snake/fish species but not Pidgey? Why exactly should exceptions like this evo line even exist?
>They're both the same shit from start to finish.
If anything, the bulb/sapling motif only justifies the connection of why every stage in their line are connected. Venusaur can still look like progression evolution without looking like some enlarged old Bulbasaur. Torterra is a different turtle species from Turtwig but retains and expands the sapling motif. Thats how evolution should be.
>>
>>31227860
It gets bigger and grows wings.
>>
>blaziken
>NOT furfag pandering
>>
How is Samourott bad?
>>
>>31226240
Your sinnohfetus is showing.
>>
>>31227860
>it turns into a dragon
So it should have a yellow circle then
>>
>>31226242
What about digimon. I think Blaziken would make a good digimon.
>>
>>31228010
Robin Hood was a rich douche before he became a bandit.[link]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood[/link]
>>
>>31228685
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood
>>
>>31226109
I think you're wrong for many reasons, but I'm curious:

What makes you think charizard is a GOAT design by sticking wings to a bigger charmeleon, while blastoise is a mediocre design by sticking cannons to a bigger wartortle?

How is torterra a design that harmonizes creativity and themeing by just growing a tree in a shell where before there were only bushes, but venusaur, that has the exact same kind of progression (an open flower where before there was only a seed) "just gets bigger"?

How does greninja, a ninja frog, ruin the original concept of froakie, a trainee ninja frog, by just adding a ninja scarf which also happens to be its tongue, when you claim empoleon, that is a king penguin, only grows a trident-crown to expand on the concept of its prevos, that were prince penguins?

I think you're just biased as al hell, but wanna hear your reasons anyways OP.
>>
>>31228337
>Thats how evolution should be.
An opinion, and a dumb one at that. Pokemon evolution does not have any one real world analogue. Sometimes it's metamorphosis (Caterpie to Butterfree) sometimes it's changing "species" (Magikarp to Gyarados), sometimes it's body growth (Cranidos to Ramparados, Stunky to Skuntank, Pidgey to Pidgeot, etc) and sometimes it makes no fucking sense at all. So, get off your fucking horse.
>>
>>31228738
>Charizard vs Blastoise
Lizard evolves into a Dragon, a obvious enough progression. Turtle evolves into a fluffier turtle who evolves into a hippo looking fucker with cannons and loses all fluffiness? Not tha obvious.

Torterra vs Venusaur
Torterra is based on the world turtle, thus creative. You can see this progress happen gradually from Turtwigs twig to torterras tree. This wouldn't be enough to differentiate it though like Bulbasaurs bulb to flower design, so the designers made Torterra more menacing, darker in colour, and added rocks and spikes to go along with the world turtle themeing. Venusaur is literally a fat Bulbasaur with it's theme intact. Torterra looks nothing like Turtwig yet it's theme also remains intact, thus creativity.

>Greninja vs Emploeon
I admit I was wrong about greninja now that I know frogs bubbles do dissapear with age.I thought it was a concept they dropped completely but it makes sense. I'd give it a blue circle now.

>For those asking about Primarina.
Notice under the red circle it says Furfag bait? Yeah, it may not be standing up like a humanoid, but it damn well has all other characteristics of one, such as flowing, accesorized hair, wearing a dress, defined eye lashes (a common design ethic used to identify a female), and the fact it's based on an opera singer. It's furry appeal is obvious just by spending 5 mins on this board for fucks sake lmao.
>>
File: 1472782884918.png (90KB, 254x254px) Image search: [Google]
1472782884918.png
90KB, 254x254px
>>31228759
If pokemon evolution is an inconsistent concept with no set rule, then why do people even set design standards and design quality on evolution stages anyway? If pokemon are allowed to become bigger versions of themselves or drastically change their species/appearance, both transitional directions would be considered flawed. Why should being an evolution even effect the quality of a pokemon's design?
>>
File: IMG_0526.jpg (104KB, 1008x419px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0526.jpg
104KB, 1008x419px
Hey just so you guys know, evolution doesn't matter.
>>
>>31226188
>dragon
>not a symbol of fire

Nigga, read what you write
>>
>>31227562
Shit tastes anon
>>
I love how nobody is standing up for the Johto starters. Really goes to show.
>>
File: Leomon_t.gif (89KB, 372x572px) Image search: [Google]
Leomon_t.gif
89KB, 372x572px
>>31228632
That's because a lot of digimon are dudes in fursuits
>>
>>31229001
Well they do just get biggger, they aren't bad or anything but what more can you say?
>>
>>31226109
>charizard
>good design, harmonizes creativity and theming

it's literally a stock photo of a dragon with fire on its tail

you know what? Ill find it. Right now. Ill look up "cartoon dragon" and find something that looks exactly like Charizard.
>>
>>31229026
I prefer Veemon.
>>
File: IMG_3540.jpg (10KB, 210x233px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3540.jpg
10KB, 210x233px
>>31228933
>thing is bad just because furries happen to like it

>It's furry appeal is obvious just by spending 5 mins on this board for fucks sake lmao.
>thinking /vp/ is the standard of typical Pokemon fans
>>
>>31229001
I would but I know it would only result in getting bombarded with meme arguments, there's no point.
>>
>>31226109
>My opinion is the truth: Episode 156
>>
>>31229865
dispute it then. I've put down all arguments. Its more fact than opinion.
>>
>>31226142
This shit needs to stop. Every time a design is criticized, someone else claims it's just misunderstood.
Good idea on paper =/= Appealing visual design
>>
>>31230003

People throughout the thread have already pointed out the inconsistencies of your shitty chart.
>>
File: CuuyLAVXYAAX6Bb.png (335KB, 1514x572px) Image search: [Google]
CuuyLAVXYAAX6Bb.png
335KB, 1514x572px
>>31230004
To bad aesthetics is entirely subjective and all comes down to personal taste. Knowing the idea behind it could at least give you a slightly less-puzzling visual of the execution.

For Decidueye's case though, doesn't it expand the "projectile qwill" theme from the pre-evos? What makes it so flawed again?
>>
>>31228964
THe grip looks more like a buttstock, but damn I never noticed that. Not that I ever had a problem with the evolution.
>>
>>31226657
>>
>>31226657
>Child during Gen 1
>Still a child during Gen 5
>>
>>31228408
They are mad because their starter isn't bipedal and instead evolved to a quadrupedal one
>>
>>31227562
>a monkey is furry pandering

I CAN'T BELIEVE MY LOCAL ZOO IS RUN BY DEGENERATES
>>
>>31230003
>it's more fact than opinion
holy shit you are dense. I'll reply to your chart anyway though.

>Venusaur
how does it "just get bigger"? The main thing is the gigantic fucking flower growing out of its back, but it's body also develops too.

>Charizard
completely uncreative design. Charmander is a fire lizard, Charmeleon is a fire lizard, and Charizard is a stock photo of a cartoon dragon. and, even if you think that it is a creative design, wouldn't it still fall under the "original concept is ruined" category?

>Blastoise
If sprouting wings for no reason doesn't count as "random items coming out of nowhere", than Blastoise's cannons don't count either. Especially since the theme of the Squirtle line is "squirt turtle".

>Meganium
I'll kind of give you this one. The flower kind of contradicts "it just gets bigger" though.

>Typhlosion
it's entire body type changes, it gets a cape, and it becomes bipedal. Significant changes from Cyndaquil.

>Feraligatr
Same with Meganium, you're about half right here. It does gain a lot of details.

>Sceptile
I'll give you this one

>Blaziken
you have got to be baiting if you're saying that Blaziken doesn't fall under the red and yellow categories. I shouldn't even have to explain why.

>Swampert
I'll give you this one.

>Torterra
I've always hated it but you're somewhat right. Designers did a good job keeping the theme while changing everything else.

>Infernape
This falls under the red category.

>Empoleon
I love Empoleon but I have to admit that it should definitely be in the yellow category.

>Serperior
I agree.

>Emboar
it gains plenty of details, even more so than the Hoenn and Sinnoh starters you love so much.
>>
(cont)

>Samurott
I really have to opinion on this. I know there's some huge debate about whether it should be bipedal or not, and I've never really thought of an opinion myself.

>Chesnaught
I've never liked it myself, but the designers did a great job of keeping the "rodent with a shell sort of thing" theme throughout the design. It would definitely fall under the blue category.

>Delphox
this should be in the yellow category. it's barely humanoid at all.

>Greninja
I saw that you already admitted this was a mistake.

>Decidueye
this is ridiculous. the whole point of the Rowlet line is that it's an owl that has projectiles. I can't possibly see how this wouldn't be blue.

>Inceneroar
I agree.

>Primarina
this is really more suitable for the yellow category. it's not really humanoid at all, it looks exactly like a mermaid/seal.

0/10. your bias is incredible. gen 7 was my favorite, but Im still able to tell that Incineroar is a shit design. learn to view things without nostalgia glasses and grow up.
>>
>>31226109
It's just the current phase theme

Gen I-II is full of "it just gets bigger"
Gen III-V is "it gets bigger AND there's a theme"
Now it focus more on the theme, if early Gens had starters that changed too little when evolving, now they change very very much.
>>
Why do people think GF is pandering to furries? You guys do know that anthropomorphized characters score better with children because they can relate to them easier right? Furries didn't invent humanoid animals, they just want to fuck them. For fucks sake, man, my kid LOVES Chip and Dales Resque Rangers - better write a letter to Disney because they're pandering to furries !!!!11!

It's dumb. Humanoid doesn't mean pandering, nor does it mean bad.

Ps throwing your opinion around haughtily as truth just shows how much of a virgin loser you are.
>>
File: 1482110764399.jpg (121KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1482110764399.jpg
121KB, 800x800px
>>31233013
>Gen III-V is "it gets bigger AND there's a theme"
>>
>>31232552
>>31228408
Imo, I think Samurott's anatomy should've been on pair with a gorilla's so it would have the body structure to use both it's horn and swords both efficiently. As much as people put too much emphasis on the swordsfighting idea, it makes sense for Samurott to also fight with it's helmet, as it's essentially a shell. And Oshawott used it's shell to attack and defend itself.
>>
>>31226109
>Decuidueye, blazekin and emboar not red
Why?
>>
>>31226598
>monkey is too humanoid
>badger standing on hind legs like a bear is too humanoid

Mate?
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.