[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alola Forms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5

File: 1479699594143.png (1MB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1479699594143.png
1MB, 1500x1500px
Thoughts? Was this a good idea?

Which ones do you think are better (design-wise) than the previous originals?
>>
>>31205706
Good idea, but it's implementation could have been much better. Namely more than 8 lines and mons outside of Gen 1 getting forms too.
>Designs that are better
Raticate
Sandslash
Muk
Marowak
Ninetales
Raichu
>Designs that are worse
Golem
>Meme Designs
Persian
Exeggutor
Dugtrio
>>
>No Alolan Nidoking
>>
Brilliant idea, way too little though. Muk is definitely the best
>>
It was a good idea, but wasn't executed very well. Too many types became dark, and there was lack in very unique typings. Hope they bring it back for future gens though.
>>
Good idea that I wish gets expanded upon in the future. I didn't care for Muk and Marowak design- and gameplay-wise until they got their forms.
>>
>>31205780
>Meme Designs
>Exeggutor
I don't understand this, have you seen how shitty regular Exeggutor is? A-Exeggutor is literally superior in every way design wise to the regular one.
>>
>>31205800
>>31205814
>>31205821

These. It was a step in the right direction but there were far, far too few of them to ride the hype wave to its full potential. If they had included pokemon from other gens, then SM would have felt more balanced and fleshed out.
>>
>>31205780
This.
>>
Idea was ok, but I'd prefer they made new, original Pokemon using these ideas instead of slapping them onto already existing Pokemon. There's no reason they couldn't have made a new Dark type rat Pokemon or a Igloo Pokemon, a Arctic Fox, fancy/spoiled cat or magnetized rocks as brand new Pokemon.

Now we're never going to get an original ice fox Pokemon cause Vulpix takes that spot.

>>31205814

Gamefreak said they may bring it back in the future, but come on, it's Gamefreak, they'll move away from it like they do with everything else they do.
>>
Good idea, solid designs (for the most part), but waaaaay too few of them. At least it opens the door for future regional variants.
>>
>>31205706

Great idea, I'm just sad there's only 5 of them.
>>
>>31205706
It was a good idea, certainly a better one than megas. Wish there were more forms, and non Gen I pokés too.

>Cool Variants
Ratatta, Raticate, Raichu, Sandshrew, Sandslash, Marowak
>Shit tier
Geodude line, Meowth and Persian
>Meme af but great
Muk, Exeggutor, Dugtrio
>>
>>31205706
We need more fire types and bug type forms, Hawaii has a shitload of insects. Also rock/dark types to go with black rock.
>>
>>31205706
Glad they only gave Kanto pokemon Alola forms.

Reminding children what pokemon were responsible for this series' success and why it's still even going on and still selling.
>>
>>31205970
you forgot icetales
>>
File: alolaformstiers2.png (242KB, 1104x1316px) Image search: [Google]
alolaformstiers2.png
242KB, 1104x1316px
>>
>>31205970
>>31206019
>hating on jihadmon
why
>>
>>31205706
it was a fantastic idea, should have been more of them, and less dark types
>>
Cubone makes this awkward jump from Ground to Fire/Ghost, and that's almost never seen in Pokemon outside of, like, Eevee. And that's a special case. It's awkward, and you can tell they made it this way because they couldn't be assed to make an Alolan Cubone.
>>
>>31206006
It's literally only a basic recolor
Same for Grimer, to some extent.
And Digglet is kinda cuter with the hair but it's barely any difference.
>>
Just like every idea gamefreak has it wasn't executed very well and will be abandoned in the next game. There just weren't enough of them (despite the region being mostly mons from older gens) and they were all from gen 1.

It hurts the most this time because it's legitimately one of the best ideas they've had and it's going to be abandoned next game, just like baby pokemon (good riddance though,) cross-gen evolutions and mega evolutions.
>>
>>31205706
Improved Designs
>Rattata
>Raichu
>Sandshrew (although it's name is ruined)
>Grimer
>Muk
>Exeggutor
>Marowak

Lateral Shifts
>Sandslash
>Vulpix
>Ninetails

Worse Designs
>Raticate
>Diglett
>Dugtrio
>Meowth
>Persian
>Geodude
>Graveller
>Golem
>>
>>31206167
the thing I found funny is that GameFreak keeps forgeting all those ideas and leaving them behind, but they never stop including them in the game, so we end up having some frankestein game with Megas, Z-Moves, only 10 regional variants in the entire world and shit like this

It'll only get worse with each generation
>>
>>31206167
Baby Pokemon
>Gen II, III, IV

Cross-Gen Evolutions
>Gen II, IV, VI

Stop this meme
>>
>>31206238
>no baby pokemon for three consecutive gens now
I'd say we're not getting anymore.

>cross gen evolutions in XY
where?
>>
>>31206297
only Sylveon
>>
>>31205706
They're all upgrades or sidegrades to the original except Alolan Grimer.
>>
>>31205918
>>31205821
I think that it will.

Alongside alolan forms they released the name "Regional Variants". Why would they not expand on the concept, if they have an umbrella term for something that's clearly wider than just "Alolan Forms"?
>>
>>31205706
If they were going to stick to gen 1 pokemon why not do all of the gen 1 pokemon on the alola dex?
>>
>>31205706
where's the alolan sudowoodo? or alolan bonsly?
>>
>>31205706
It's the best idea GF has had in years.
But they didn't do enough with it, and what they did is less than stellar.
>>
>>31205706
Good idea but sucks overall

>only Kanto
>half of them are memes and jokes
>barely anything good battle wise
>only few of them in general
>didnt even changed stats

No thanks, i prefer new pokemon
>>
>>31205970
Meowth is great.
Persian is where they fucked up.
>>
>>31209970
>only Kanto
HEY! MEMBER KANTO! İT'S DA BEST! :D
>>
>>31206453
Aloan Muk >>>> Regular Muk viability wise. Move tutors would be icing on cake but it's better than the original.
>>
>>31206044
gf had the bright idea to make a Pokemon based on Islamic terrorism (it's made to use galvanize explosion)
>>
Being Kanto Pokémon only was so fucking stupid even if gen 1 is the more reconizable gen.

Anyway I like all of them except alola geodude which looks atrocious...and I learned to love fat faced Persian.
>>
I think it's a stupid idea and is completely inconsistent with what the franchise has done in the past.

At least megas built on the existing concept of evolution.
>>
Vulpix and Ninetales are good. Marowak ND Sandslash are ok. The rest not so much.
Would have preferred new split evolutions over this.
>>
>>31205706
In general, I like the idea. I hope it doesn't get overused in the future as a substitute for new Pokémon though. Onto specifics:

>Rattata/Raticate
Pretty good design. No real complaints that don't already exist with Kantonian formes. STAB Sucker Punch etc is a great bonus with crippling weaknesses.

>Raichu
Dumb design, dumb gimmick, dumb typing. I actually like Kantonian Raichu now. I don't even have improvements to suggest; just do away with it.

>Sandshrew/Sandslash
Not a bad concept, weird execution though. It lives adjacent to a desert which it could easily have inhabited unchanged. Also I would have made it Ground/Ice rather than Ice/Steel.

>Vulpix/Ninetales
Really good design, probably ties for second favourite. I wouldn't care at all if Ninetales didn't have the Fairy typing.

>Diglett/Dugtrio
One of the least favourites; not because it's bad, but because it's so boring. If I had to use this exact concept, I'd have made them both blind with pale fur, make Diglett's "whiskers" be actual whiskers, and have Dugtrio develop that into varying moustaches.

(1/2)
>>
>>31210168
>Meowth/Persian
Meowth is boring but fine. Persian makes me want to kick babies. Its head is literally just a sphere. Why not just make it super fluffy with an almost indistinguishable shape, like ACTUAL FUCKING PERSIAN CATS?

>Geodude/Graveler/Golem
Didn't know about this until I encountered it. Pleasantly surprised by the typing. Fair designs, but Golem could do with a shave; it's ripping off Probopass's schtick badly.

>Grimer/Muk
I wish they'd gone with the oil spill angle with those designs. Dunno why it's Dark type, although that is useful. The OC Donut Steel hidden ability annoys me. Wasted potential.

>Exeggutor
I fucking love this design. Dragon type is random but cool. I just wish I could have caught an Exeggcute before the end of the fucking game so I could use it. My favourite Alolan forme; can't wait to trade it over in Prism or whatever.

>Marowak
Cool design, cool typing, though (like with Sandshrew) I wish it retained part of its original typing. Ground/Ghost would do fine with Fire type utilities such as Will-o-Wisp would be better.

(2/2)
>>
>>31210062
Yeah...let's not use mega to make a point Senpai when a good bit of them didn't fucking need one compared to many other Pokémon and being busted as fuck.
>>
File: 1483326779070 (1).jpg (45KB, 628x442px) Image search: [Google]
1483326779070 (1).jpg
45KB, 628x442px
>>31206003
You can't be serious.
Only gen 1 Pokemon are responsible for the success of Pokemon.

>Jynx
>Porygon
>Hypno
>>
>>31205706
I like regional forms and I hope they continue making more in the future. I feel the idea is better than the Mega evolution since it doesn't come with any strings attached (i.e. one Mega per team limit). It also doesn't advance the power creep while still making outclassed Pokemon viable.

Design wise the existing regional forms are a bit of a mixed bag. The only ones I definitely like better than the base forms are Meowth, Persian, Raichu and Marowak. Others range from meh to bad.
>>
>>31210244
MR MIME!
>>
>>31205706
I honestly like all of them for different reasons. At first I hated A-Persian but it grew on me and the best ones in my opinion are the Sandshrew, Vulpix and Grimer lines.
>>
>>31210244
that wasn't what he meant, you fucking numbnuts.
I mean- i will completely agree that not all of gen 1's pokemon are awesome (lickitung, tangela, mr mime, jynx)- but anon more meant that it's on the backs of giants like pikachu, charizard, etc that the series has remained so popular / in the forefront of attention, after years and years. It's not because of fucking hypno, no- but it's also not cause of fucking emolga.
>>
Just out of curiosity how would you feel for a game with just re-imagined Pokemon? Wether it be some tropic island or not, because a lot of what I'm reading is that it's not fleshed out enough. Also would you prefer one gen completely made over or a selection?
>>
>>31205706
It's a better idea than megas ever were. It actually adds to the theme of metamorphesis and adaptation. I'd like to see a whole gen of these.
>>
>>31205706
>Better than the original
Meowth, Grimer/Muk, Marowak, Diglett/Dugtrio
>Equal to the original
Vulpix/Ninetales, Sandshrew/Sandslash
>inferior
Ratatta/Raticate, Raichu, Persian, Golem line

>better mechanically but not necessarily design-wise
Muk, Marowak, Golem Line, Dugtrio, Raichu
>>
>Better:
Raichu, dugtrio, meowth, muk, marowak
>Worse:
diglett, persian, coconut-tree-dragon
>Love Both:
vulpix, ninetales, grimer
>Hate Both:
raticate
>Meh:
ratatta, sandshrew, sandslash, geodude, gravvler, golem
>>
>>31205780
Pretty much my exact thoughts.
I do like A-Exeggutor though, it's nice to have a tree Pokémon that's actually a respectable height and not a fucking midget. I'll never get over the fact that Trevenant is 4'11", what the fuck were they thinking?
>>
>>31205706

>Better
Raichu
Sandshrew
Sandslash
Vulpix
Ninetales
Meowth
Marowak

>Equal
Ratatta
Grimer

>Worse
Raticate
Diglett
Dugtrio
Persian
Geodude
Graveler
Golem
Muk
Exeggutor
>>
>>31210194
I'm not denying megas had a iffy execution, but the concept of megas at least I was fine with wheras I think the concept of alolan forms is inherently stupid
>>
It's a good and fun idea, but I dislike how only Gen I pokemon got the Alola form treatment. Also, there's too little of them. I guess you could argue that Alola is close to Kanto blah blah blah, but still. I'd like to see more regional variants in the future along with giving pokemon randomly generated slight differences a la spinda, and for it to be able to be modified through breeding.

>Better
Exeggutor
Marowak
Raticate
Muk

>Great, but on par with the original
Ninetales
Persian
Sandslash
Dugtrio
Raichu

>Worse
Golem
>>
What do you think is the best way of boasting a pokemon, cross evos, megas or regional forms?
>>
File: darwin_finches.jpg (8KB, 400x311px) Image search: [Google]
darwin_finches.jpg
8KB, 400x311px
>>31205706
It was great real world inspired idea and I really wish they had gone further with it. Maybe have some mons that have island gigantism that are native to one island while some that are native to one of the other islands have island dwarfism. Give more of the bird mons island variants, even if it's just differences in beaks, like Darwin's finches.

I'm okay there being no Alolan variants of Sinnoh, Kalos, and Unova pokemon, but Johto borders Kanto and they even had a town in in SM that was aesthetically more like Johto. There should have been just as many Alolan variants of Johto mons as there were Kanto mons.
>>
>>31210974
This, if they can include small differences for genders couldn't they do it for birds or other pokemon, that would be cool.
>>
ALOLAN DUGTRIO RULEEEEEEES
>>
>>31205706
It's actually pretty smart. It puts a nice stop on the PokeDex bloating and gives a new spin on old Pokemon but without the competitive-cancer of Mega. Also, Alolan Vulpix is adorable. 10/10, would catch again and play with in Refresh in the next game.
>>
>>31206236
Support the fangames, then.
Either that or just move on. There are many other franchises to dig other than Pokemon, anyway.
>>
what the fuck is golem's new design based on???
>>
>>31205706
Way better than Megas. I hope they'll stick to it.
>>
>>31210062
Alolan forms is the only concept so far that actually mirrors the concept of evolution.
>>
>>31205706
I like the idea of them, but I don't like when they slap unique or unused type combos on old mons. I want those new type combos to get a new mon designed around that theme.

If we would have gotten a new electric/rock type, I'm sure it would have been a lot better than whatever the fuck they were trying to do with A-Golem.
>>
>>31205845
It's simultaneously a meme design and better than regular Exeggutor
>>
I was actually quite angry about what they did in the end because although it was an astonishingly good idea, almost making up for the shitty z moves, the poor amount of effort put in was just embarssing. Why no alolan cubone, why no alolan Johto pokemon, or hoenn pokemon? Why no Corsola Evo? Why no more prevos or cross gen evos? Why so few new min in general? Because they spent to long on the fucking z moves.
>>
I think it shows that whilst they are not neccarily running out of ideas they are running out of creativity
>>
>>31206297

Who the fuck cares about baby pokemon?

Tyrogue is the only exception of course
>>
>>31210389

Mr. Meme
>>
>>31205706
>all these people saying Alola Raichu looks better than Raichu

Alola Raichu is one of the worst. Its rounded ears/tail, color scheme, and stubby arms are awful. Even if you like it, I can't imagine how anyone could argue its an improvement on the original.
>>
>Was this a good idea?
Absolutely not.

Alolan forms are one of the dumbest things to happen in this franchise, and that's saying a lot, given the existence of Baby Pokemon, Mega Pokemon, DNA splicers, etc. Thematically it makes sense: species could certainly undergo dramatic changes in new regions to adapt to different environments. But since it took until Gen 7, it implies that Alola is a unique and special region compared to the other SIX regions that have no regional variants. Oh and the regional variants in Alola just so happen to only be Kanto Pokemon.

Exeggutor, the poster boy for Alolan forms, is even a big pile of dogshit. Sure, conceptually it makes sense to grow stronger in warmer climates, its Dex entries say it's from tropical regions and Kanto only had it in the Safari Zone. But then in true GF fashion it gets fucked up by no longer using telepathy (and therefore the heads no longer communicate?) and now has the power "of the sleeping dragon." And all of the other designs make no sense either conceptually or aesthetically. Some of them are certainly improvements; Ninetales and Marowak are very well-done designs. But that doesn't justify their existence.

Alolan forms was just a way to shoe-horn genwun nostalgia and pad the Alolan Dex to make it look bigger. than it really was. And now when we move onto other games in this gen or the next they will either have to omit these Pokemon entirely from future regions or force them into a Safari Zone-esque area, defeating the point. And I'm guessing like the other stupid bullshit ideas that GF has come up with this will be quickly abandoned and these lines will be the only Alolan - and fuck, probably the only regional - variants to exist ever.

3/10 idea, 1/10 execution
>>
Raticate's face looks terrible. Why does a fucking RAT have cheek pouches? just make a hamster pokemon if you wanna do that shit.

Rattata's mustache looks bad, but he's less stupid to look at, i like his ears and tail

All of them look shitty, but i will give Muk and maybe Golem a pass if he didn't have the dumb beard.

In short, good idea, but very poor execution of design.
>>
>>31205706
Persia, Geodude line, Dugtrio are all worse. Significantly. The others are good though.
>>
>>31205706
They should've made more than 18 Pokemon and and given a form to Pokemon not from Kanto.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.