[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 12

File: best gen.jpg (156KB, 530x327px) Image search: [Google]
best gen.jpg
156KB, 530x327px
What went right?
>>
>>31197480
Diamond and Pearl are awful.
>>
>>31197494

Found the kalosbab
>>
being a beta for Platinum
>>
Music was on point
>>
>>31197480
>prevos
>postevos
>lore
>champion
>physical/special split
>GTS
>>
The new Pokemon.

Besides Lucario. Even Rhyperior is better than Lucario.
>>
Their third version
>>
>>31197480

>best events in the series (darkrai especially)
>underground
>hardest champion/E4
>best soundtrack
>good mix of new and old pokemon

DP are great and anybody who disagrees started the series from black/white onwards.
>>
>>31197480
It's faster than Vikavolt
>>
File: 1483401400577.png (17KB, 512x192px) Image search: [Google]
1483401400577.png
17KB, 512x192px
>>31197514
This
>>31197583
And this. God, why doesn't GF add more postevos, they are so fucking great.
>>31197640
And this.

>>31197652
And this, kek
>>
>>31197480
Everything except speed.
>>
the split and the evo expansions are the crowning glory if gen 4, by a mile. the lore/story/e4 aren't bad, but who gives a fuck about that half the time anyway. the underground was a personal favorite, loved digging up fossils and evo stones by the fistful.
>>
File: 1433690332084.png (181KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1433690332084.png
181KB, 800x800px
>>31197822
>the underground was a personal favorite, loved digging up fossils and evo stones by the fistful
I remember spending hours and hours down there just digging shit up and planting the orbs so that they'd grow. I played Platinum way too much.
>>
This game is trash... But, I will say they probably had the best starters of any Gen, too bad all the other mons were complete shit.
>>
>>31197949
>>
>>31197640
They aren't enjoyable tbqh

They set the stage for a much better game.

Platinums speed is fine, DP on the other hand is much much worse.

Along with much shitter gym puzzles too
>>
>>31197480
>Hardest game so far, and that's without the all the 'mon switches in Alola

>Special/Physical split

>Underground

>Evil team almost destroyed the fabric of fucking time and space

>post evos

>Cynthia fucks you UP

>Torterra, the best grass starter
>>
>>31197958
No b8 m8. Simply just an opinion
>>
>Gen that actually introduced alternate forms
>Post evos from pre-existing pokemon requiring exposure to Mt.Coronet
>Pokemon requiring AncientPower to evolve into their prehistoric form
>Pokemon requiring to travel to certain locations in order to evolve
>Pokemon requiring a gender to evolve into something else
>Gamefreak tried to repeat this in Sun Moon but instead of giving some pokemon extra evolutions, they literally reworked them and called it a day
>>
>>31197480
The physical special split which is one of the greatest thing to happen in the history of pokemon.
It was the generation to make wifi battling, online trading, official competitions, and having multiple language interactions apart of its design.
Personally I feel it vomiting evolutions of older pokemon was a lazy and phoned in thing in theory but in execution it did make a lot of pokemon's lives better. Much as I despise togekiss design wise it did togepi's line wonders in competitive and took pokemon I already liked(roselia and magneton) and made them useful and electabuz fags would tell you the same.
It also had by far the most threatening evil team to date even if I hear some say its too extreme for a pokemon game, or at least a "kids game" and that is a fair point. Its the only generation and as far as I know the old DS game to take advantage of the GBA backwards compatibility function letting you catch different pokemon based on which GBA game you had and Gengar for using any.
It was the last generation to make its event Pokemon tie in as a side story in order to capture then which I strongly prefer with event pokemon over just being given them.
Black and White at least did this with victini but not the others sadly.
Finally its capture mini game attached to Pokemon transfer is less annoying than the one in Black and White speaking as a massive Gen V fag.
>>
>>31198285
>Gen that actually introduced alternate forms
Deoxys was Gen 3 m8
>>
DP are total shit. Platinum is one of the best in the series.
Fuck Eviolite, crossgen evos are the best.
>>
>>31197652
Those save times felt like ages. I was going to do a nuzlocke but holy crap it takes 30 seconds just to save at times
>>
>>31197480
>wifi
>some much-needed cross-gen evolutions even if some of them looked horrible
>I guess difficulty? I found it harder than gen 3
>>
File: comfyy.jpg (58KB, 601x601px) Image search: [Google]
comfyy.jpg
58KB, 601x601px
>music
>physical/special split
>some great designs (a lot were hit or miss though)
>C O M F Y
>>
>>31197480
Got a third game that fixed all it's problems
>>
Made it officially ok to want to fuck your pokemon.
>>
I didn't like D/P, they had a lot of flaws
But Platinum was okay. I still think HG/SS were the best out of the Gen 4 games
>>
DP was better than RS but too slow. Platinum fixed it
>>
it was atleast better than gen 2
>>
>>31199522
I always saw Gen 3 as an improved Gen 1 and Gen 4 as an improved Gen 2. And I don't mean the remakes
>>
File: Pokemon_-_Platinum_Version.jpg (190KB, 815x343px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon_-_Platinum_Version.jpg
190KB, 815x343px
>>31197480
Platinum
>>
>>31197480
>music
>all the legendaries were good
>best E4 and champion
>underground is fun

Only played pearl. What does platinum do that makes it way better?
>>
File: 1473610193944.jpg (40KB, 314x377px) Image search: [Google]
1473610193944.jpg
40KB, 314x377px
>>31199625
>>all the legendaries were good
worst opinion in this thread
>>
>>31197480
just a single mention of kanto and limiting genwun pandering to pokemon evolutions.
>>
>>31199674
It gave us our lord and savior Arceus. You are the one with the shit taste.
>>
>>31199625
Pokedex includes the crossgens which were the best new pokemon
>>
>>31199625
>Best Elite 4
>Aaron has a Beautifly and Dustox
>Bertha has a Quagsire and Sudowoodo
>Most of Flint's team couldn't be his actual type, so he filled it with two shitmon and a Steelix
"B-B-But Platinum"
This post's about D/P.
>>
>>31199729
>>Most of Flint's team couldn't be his actual type, so he filled it with two shitmon and a Steelix
i thought this was a good thing. all being the same type makes it easier. but it wasn't good that there was also a lack of fire types for the player
>>
>>31197480
The split, that was about it. Gen 4 was a travesty and caused everything that's bad about the series currently.
>people hated the evos so GF made no more evos
>People hated the convoluted region design, regions are circles now
>>
>>31197505
kalos? those are still hoennfags, bitter that their shitgames were still shit.
>>
>>31198285
>>Gen that actually introduced alternate forms
Gen 3, technically 2 with Unown.

>>Post evos from pre-existing pokemon requiring exposure to Mt.Coronet
No one wanted that which is why people just want them to evolve by stone.
It's also fucking ridiculous to evolve a mon in low level areas after EV training.
>>Pokemon requiring AncientPower to evolve into their prehistoric form
Ruining the previous designs and themes of the mon afflicted.
Then there's mon like Lickilicky. Why didn't it evolve with something like Belly drum rather than the dumb choice of, what was it, Power Whip?
>>Pokemon requiring to travel to certain locations in order to evolve
That's the same as the other one you just change the word and became less specific.
>>Pokemon requiring a gender to evolve into something else
Adding an extra level of tedium because those mon require rare stones to do so or now have an absurd encounter rate.
>>Gamefreak tried to repeat this in Sun Moon but instead of giving some pokemon extra evolutions, they literally reworked them and called it a day
You mean like Combee and Vespiquen?
>>
>>31199773
I'd put more blame on 5 for taking out features you apparently liked

And if you didn't like them I don't know why you'd think them being gone is bad
>>
>best looking starters
>Best regional bird
>Best soundtrack
>Best champion
>Best pseudo
>Best region
>Best E4
>Best MCs
>Platinum
>Best series in the anime

Honestly don't get the mixed feelings people have about DP. It is literally 50/50 with people.
>>
>>31199901
>best regional bird
real talk, toucannon giving some serious competition.
>>
>>31199901
DP is shit

Platinum is god-tier

get that shit right, fucking idiot
>>
>>31199878
>I'd put more blame on 5 for taking out features you apparently liked
Despite the fact that the poor reception of them in gen 4 is the direct cause.

>And if you didn't like them
Key word being "you" I don't mind them for example the Gen 2 cross gen evo's were great with the exception of probably Scizor because they carried the theme of the previous mon and went with a simplistic yet appealing design philosophy. Gen 4 went and made them hideously cluttered although one good thing came out of it, GF toned down the random lines and zigzags in later gens.

As for the region design, regions like Hoenn were fantastic in terms of both exploration and discovery. Sinnoh as a region was a reflection of their evolutions, cluttered and overdesigned. Which left many japanese players confused when they traversed the region. It had an extreme over reliance of HMs compared to past regions. Then again GF in Gen 5 made a linear region with optional exploration so it's clearly possible they just don't want to do it.

Anyway, to sum things up, I don't mind the ideas but it comes down to the execution. GF went too far and people hated it now they're backpedaling on the mistakes gen 4 made to a disgusting degree.
>>
>Pokemon requires both happiness and a certain time of day to evolve, and learns better moves at its evolved form so you have to limit how much you play to only that time of day so you can evolve it as soon as possible
>>
>>31200136
Fucking Riolu.
>>
>>31200136
>not just catching the Pokemon and immediately running back and forth in an area for 20 minutes to artificially raise happiness
>b-but the time of day
>not changing the DS's clock to the right time
>level up your Pokemon once
>change the time back to the right time
o-oh no, how d-difficult
>>
...t...h...e...s...p...e...e...d...
>>
>Saving a lot of data... Please don't turn off the power...
>>
>>31200379
>buying the game
>>
Had the best postgame of the start of a generation, a very solid main adventure, didn't really cut anything from RS although some features had questionable changes, introduced online play, good overworld soundtrack with the time based variants, lots of little details like many new evolution methods and the slight gender differences, and it perfected the core mechanics which haven't been altered since, only added on. Its only real flaws are related to the regional dex, like how a big chunk of new Pokemon can't be obtained until postgame, and some of the new evolutions actually require a transfer. I hear the slow complaint, but I replayed it recently and other than the saving length after checking the PC it wasn't any worse than the rest of Gen IV.

A much better anniversary title, being released the year of the 10th, than SM was.
>>
>>31197480
Nothing. The recent showing of love they're getting are the kids that started with them coming out of the woodwork, just like what happened with Hoenn.
Everyone that actually played them after a previous game unanimously agrees they're the franchise's lowest point.
>>
>>31200459
You mean you think that way, you egotistical faggot
My first game was FireRed and Platinum is better
>>
>>31200499
Platinum isn't D/P, you cockmongler.
>>
>muh speed
I played throught Diamond AND Pearl (after playing Gen II and Gen III, mind) and I never even noticed that the battle scenes were slow. I want ADHD-riddled autists to fuck off.
>>
File: 1483134162113.png (32KB, 1124x896px) Image search: [Google]
1483134162113.png
32KB, 1124x896px
>>31200540
No, I played B/W after D/P and going back to D/P after that makes you realize it really IS slow
>>
>>31200459
Having started with Crystal and having played every game after on release, BW1 and maybe SM are the low points of the series. SM is worse for the most part, but at least has PvP easy to get into.

DP was and still is fine. No reason to play it over Platinum if you have the choice except to critically compare the two or really wanna use Glameow, but it's still a fine game and I'd even go as far to say it's the best kick off of a generation we've had.
>>
File: 250px-Platinum_EN_boxart.png (118KB, 250x224px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Platinum_EN_boxart.png
118KB, 250x224px
>>31197480
they birthed this
>>
>>31200538
Not him, but my first game was Red and I thought DP was one of the better games in the series at the time. I know of many others who started with Gen 1 were brought back to the series with 4 after falling out with 3.

>>31200540
I didn't mind the speed in my initial playthrough. Didn't really bother me until I was trying to grind for the E4. And with Platinum there's basically no reason to play DP now.
>>
When the primary criticism people have about a game is "The battle animations are slow", it's probably a pretty good game.
>>
>>31198340
>D/P were total shit, but Platinum is one of the best in the series!11!!
Keep on parroting things you have no understanding of, retard.
>>
>>31200643
>I know of many others who started with Gen 1 were brought back to the series with 4 after falling out with 3
To be fair, that has less to do with game quality and more with the fact that pokémon made you a pariah during gen 3 and by gen 4 people had gotten the fuck over it for the most part.
>>
>>31199967
Fuck off faggot
>>
>>31200715
Yeah, I agree. Gen 3 was actually good. People just hated it for stupid reasons.
>>
>>31197480
OST
>>
File: 1442191811906.jpg (58KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1442191811906.jpg
58KB, 1024x768px
>>31197480
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq742Ip5Tbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALbsX5oXHc8
>>
>>31197480
I unironically think that most of the crossgen evos are not only good, but among the best looking Pokemon in the series.
>>
>>31200715
>To be fair, that has less to do with game quality and more with the fact that pokémon made you a pariah during gen 3
Fuck yes. This happened to me. It wasn't so bad with Ruby & Sapphire. There was still dwindling interest. But if you played FireRed/LeafGreen, or worse yet Emerald when they came out, then god help you.
>>
>>31197640
>hardest champ/E4

That's BW2 challenge mode.
>>
>>31200762
I like that they gave me a bit of replayability. I'd do multiple playthroughs to try to use all of them at some point. It was a lot of fun despite some being more shit than others, but I never really bothered with Pokemon like Snorunt, Swinub, Yanma, Duskull, Tangella, or Lickitung in the past.
>>
>>31200730
It was cool for normies to hate Pokemon during Gen 3. They were the original target audience and got bored of it by middle school. So they started picking on people who still liked it, saying it was for babies and shit. Even though those middle schoolers berating others were still prepubescent faggots whose balls haven't dropped yet.

Liking Pokemon was a death sentence between 2005 - 2006.
>>
>>31200833
>difficulty setting is unlocked after you complete the game
The "added difficulty" is offset and then some by the fact that you already know pretty much everything that you're going to be facing and can build your team accordingly.
>>
>>31200611
>BW1 and maybe SM are the low points of the series
They're some of the highest points for me, desu
>>
>>31200611
>Having started with Crystal and having played every game after on release, BW1 and maybe SM are the low points of the series. SM is worse for the most part, but at least has PvP easy to get into.
I started with Red in 98 and say you're wrong. R/S was the low point of the series.
>>
>>31200762
Me too. The good ones are the best in the series (Magnezone, Gliscor, Porygon-Z, Mamoswine, most of them actually)
Sure, there's a Lickilicky here and there but that's the minority.
>>
>>31200933
That applies for every game. You can figure out everything they have with a simple google search. Besides, they have more items and better stats/IVs, which should keep you on your toes either way. Plus, if you really need to build a team around countering them specifically, doesn't that show how tough they would be to deal with regularly?
>>
>>31201037
Still upset about leaving that Charizard behind, huh?
>>
>>31201051
>You can figure out everything they have with a simple google search
Sure, if you're a faggot. With Challenge mode you HAVE to have completed the game, so you can't choose not to be a faggot. You already know.
>Plus, if you really need to build a team around countering them specifically, doesn't that show how tough they would be to deal with regularly?
Sure, but you never deal with them "regularly", that's the point. Not unless you're going out of your way to gimp yourself, which really isn't much fun beyond not using legendaries and setting the battle mode to "Set".
>>
>>31201143
???
Sorry, but this doesn't make the league any easier from a gameplay perspective. Even if it is made easier from a knowledge standpoint, it's still harder than the Sinnoh E4 from a gameplay perspective. Also, just building a team around countering them wouldn't be enough because of all their absurdly high levels and items, which still makes them harder.
>>
>>31201203
>Even if it is made easier from a knowledge standpoint, it's still harder than the Sinnoh E4 from a gameplay perspective
You can't just separate the two like that, they intimately connected. If you what you're facing, it's going to be easier.
>>
>>31201203
Also they're only a few levels higher than they are on normal mode.
>>
>>31201233
Yes, but I already said that their levels and items make them harder because the former makes them harder to catch up to (thus making them harder overall) and the latter gives the extra power/equipment to deal with you, making them more difficult.
>>
>>31201143
>Sure, if you're a faggot. With Challenge mode you HAVE to have completed the game, so you can't choose not to be a faggot. You already know.
>not hacking the game to make it so you start on challenge mode
>>
>>31201233
also, most of the items that can help them straight up one shot you aren't available in the normal game. therefore, you have no knowledge of them, thus giving them another edge over you
>>
>>31201075
>RBGY/GSC Pokemon non-transferrable
>night removed
>worst region
>shitty soundfont (everything is trumpets)
>ugly graphics
>worst story and villainous team
>>
>>31201289
If you've got a team built with their team in mind (an advantage that the AI does not possess), you're going to crush them regardless of them having items and being a few levels higher.
>>31201301
Absolutely, playing through BW2 Challenge mode first time is harder than the other games. Very, very few people will have done that though. Even people with hacked games probably played through it on normal first.
>>
>>31199729
you're acting like previous E4 didn't use shitmons, at least they gave then decent moves
>>
>>31201382
>Even people with hacked games probably played through it on normal first.
I didn't. Also that was the only thing I hacked.
>>
File: 1479404245970.png (16KB, 320x230px) Image search: [Google]
1479404245970.png
16KB, 320x230px
>>31200833
>challenge mode
>where everything you catch has 3IV guaranteed
>hard
>>
>>31201411
You know as well as I do that you represent a tiny minority of the people who played the game.
>>31201334
Okay. They get some items that you don't know about from a normal difficulty playthrough (that you can also use). You get to know their entire team ahead of time. I think I can see who's got the bigger advantage.
>>
>>31201462
>You know as well as I do that you represent a tiny minority of the people who played the game.
Yeah, I wasn't trying to claim otherwise
>>
>>31201382
which implies that you'll keep their team in mind for the entirety of the game and specifically choose a team around countering them all, which most no one ever does. also, choice scarf Chandelure and flying gem acrobatics Drifblim can fuck you up regardless. even if you do have a type effective counter against them, there's still a very realistic chance of getting oneshot by them. if you don't know about these items in advance, that will likely lead to the loss of whatever mon you were trying to sweep with. even then, the sweep isn't even guaranteed if you know what you're dealing with and there's a very slim chance that you actually retained most of the information you learned about them from the first playthrough aside from typing
>>
>>31201366
>objectively true
>objectively true
>not kanto or sinnoh
>opinion
>opinion
>sinnoh again, or kalos
>>
>>31201483
Well it wasn't really a particularly helpful point, then. Nice story I guess.
>>31201489
Use literally any Sturdy mon lol.
>>
>>31201451
Why would you lie on /vp/?
>>
Nothing. Sinnoh is the second worst region and games next to Kalos.

Oddly enough I spent 700 hours of my life on Diamond when it came out
>>
>>31201542
>any pokemon with sturdy
which in gen V is...Sawk, Gigalith, and Carracosta. during only the post game, so he doesn't count. two mons don't exactly give you a real edge.
>>
>>31201589
>Oddly enough I spent 700 hours of my life on Diamond when it came out
At least half of those were probably waiting for the battle animations to finish
and I say this as someone who likes Sinnoh
>>
>>31200459

I've been on this ride since red and diamond is my second favourite game. Get out
>>
>>31201605
And Crustle. Or just use a Focus Sash. Or just have at least a couple of Pokemon on your team with high physical/special defensive stats. These are the basic things you should be doing anyway to counter the unexpected, it's not asking much.
>>
>>31198351
you don't really need to save in a Nuzlocke, just leave the DS in sleep mode when you aren't playing
>>
>>31197480
>Best Music
>Best Starters
>Best Lore
>Good Postgame (but it was then outdone by Platinum)
>Set the stage for platinum and HG/SS
>Cynthia
>Gyms had actual puzzles
>Companion quests
>Cool events
>good new mons
>ball capsules
>underground
>>
>>31201662
Crustle, nor any of the mons I mentioned, would be able to effectively sweep the E4 mons. The focus sash argument contradicts your own point because not only does it require a lot of battle faculty investment to get, but it's also something you would only think to get if you knew about the E4's set up beforehand, which a first time challenge mode player would not know unless he looked it up first.
>>
>>31201781
I often run a Focus Sash on on eof my Pokemon, I don't need to have a specific Pokemon in mind to do it. The entire basis of the game, the thing that NPCs try to hammer into your head time and time again, is that you should have variety in your team. If your entire team is getting sweeped by a fucking Choice Scarf Chandelure or whatever, that's entirely on you, whether or not you knew they had the scarf.
>Crustle, nor any of the mons I mentioned, would be able to effectively sweep the E4 mons
Why does it need to be able to "sweep" them? That's got nothing to do with being able to withstand a hit from a particularly troublesome Pokemon. Although actually, it gets Shell Smash, so you probably could put a heavy dent in most enemy teams if not sweep them outright.
>>
>>31197822
Fucking hell, I miss the underground
>>
>>31201885
No one would put in the amount of work necessary to get a focus sash during the main game, especially considering that it's a one use only item. Unless you were fully aware of the set up, it's highly doubtful that you would bother getting the sash and saving it for the specific E4 member that you think would give you trouble because, again, you have no clue what items they have so you wouldn't even think that they'd set ups dangerous enough to oneshot the mon you planned on destroying them with.

Also, Crustle has 45 base speed, so shell smash would get it killed on account of it having even weaker special defenses and not being able to outspeed anything to properly make sure of the shell smash boosts. Even with white herb, it'd be near death either way.
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.