[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

concepts digimon did first and better.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 33

File: ExTyrannomon_b.jpg (74KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
ExTyrannomon_b.jpg
74KB, 320x320px
concepts digimon did first and better.
>>
File: Solarmon_3-020_(DJ).png (227KB, 295x430px) Image search: [Google]
Solarmon_3-020_(DJ).png
227KB, 295x430px
>>
File: 6-27_Analyzer-07_JP.png (862KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
6-27_Analyzer-07_JP.png
862KB, 1280x720px
>>31173529
no backlash
>>
File: Omekamon_b.jpg (89KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Omekamon_b.jpg
89KB, 320x320px
>>31173520
At least post the right parallel.
>>
File: IMG_3881.jpg (20KB, 529x312px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3881.jpg
20KB, 529x312px
>>31173520
>>
>>31173768
Kek
>>
File: 1482390113453.jpg (117KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1482390113453.jpg
117KB, 720x960px
>>31173520
Absolutely NOTHING
>>
>>31173934
>look ma, I'm contrarian cause contrarian
>>
File: 1482390057204.jpg (273KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1482390057204.jpg
273KB, 800x800px
>>31174576
I fucked your dad stfu cunt kys
>>
File: 40767673_p.jpg (781KB, 1223x1305px) Image search: [Google]
40767673_p.jpg
781KB, 1223x1305px
Honestly, the one big thing Digimon still always seems to do better is the scale of threats.
I'm not just talking the size of the monsters (though that certainly plays into it some). You're first introduced to the Champion and Ultimate Digimon, and their powers seem really impressive and dangerous at first. Then Megas come in and just mop the damn floor with them. Then these homicidal maniacs want to bring their brand of terror beyond the borders of the Digital World, and suddenly the scale of danger skyrockets.
The closest Pokemon's ever come to matching Digimon's scale of power are Mega Evolutions and the Ultra Beasts, but Digimon still dwarfs them by a long shot.
>>
>>31174847
This desu
>>
>>31174576
>disliking digimon is contrarian
that implies digimon is in any way popular
>>
>>31174847
>The closest Pokemon's ever come to matching Digimon's scale of power are Mega Evolutions and the Ultra Beasts
Dude, Gen 4 legends were pretty much Neo tier.

That's why people say Pokemon jumped the shark with 4
>>
File: Giratina_Altered_Forme_anime.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Giratina_Altered_Forme_anime.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>31174913
The power scale is pretty close, but the designs...
Honestly, I think part of the key of how Digimon tend to be more intimidating comes down to design. Giratina does not intimidate me at all. It just comes off as a flying gray and red blob thing with gold bits. Guzzlord isn't intimidating. For that matter, not of the UBs are.
>>
>>31174913
Pokemon legendaries are manlets compared to ultimate digimon and above. Metal Greymon would destroy every Pokemon for example.
>>
File: HNI_0013.jpg (103KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
HNI_0013.jpg
103KB, 400x240px
>>31173529
>>
>>31175116
its not intimidating because you haven't walked down the street to see a giant walking mouth with tendrils and spikes that starts chasing you down.
>>
File: IMG_2170.jpg (118KB, 400x338px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2170.jpg
118KB, 400x338px
>>31175274
Nope kys
>>
>>31175274
Pokemon are living things
>>
>>31175274
>Metal Greymon would destroy every Pokemon for example.
Almost any Pokemon.

The Dialga, Palkia, Giratina and Arceus are at least mega level tier. However they're the only Pokemon that could stand up to a Digimon and even then there are far more Digimon that outstrip their power like Chronomon, Millenniummon, Apocalymon, Dexmon and so on.
>>
>>31174847

Ultra Beasts intentions weren't to match digimon in threat

It is to have a different design philosophy they can't have as a normal pokemon
>>
File: Gekomon_b.jpg (19KB, 290x290px) Image search: [Google]
Gekomon_b.jpg
19KB, 290x290px
>>31173520
Did someone say digimon thread? Because this creature is the only digi.mon I need.
>>
But can Metal Greymon beat Madara?
>>
File: 799Guzzlord.png (835KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
799Guzzlord.png
835KB, 1280x1280px
>>31175274
Essentially, yeah.
When people compare a three-stage Pokemon evolution to Digimon, they go for Rookie--Champion--Ultimate. But when you scale it based on actual power, it's more like In-Training--Rookie--Champion. Pokemon's Mega Evolutions are Digimon's Ultimate stage, and Digimon's Mega stage is still far and above any non-legendary Pokemon.

>>31175326
No, Guzzlord isn't intimidating because he's not fucking intimidating.

>>31175389
Well of course they weren't designed to match Digimon. Also, it's part of their problem. The story peddles UBs as incredibly powerful and dangerous entities from another world, but once you catch them, they're just regular Pokemon that look kind of weird.
>>
File: patamon.png (30KB, 200x194px) Image search: [Google]
patamon.png
30KB, 200x194px
desu I'd lilke pokemon to adopt this guy and Terriermon
>>
>>31175443
>incredibly powerful and dangerous entities from another world

Well they are. Even if they can't match Digimon an untamed super buffed mosquito who attacks humans and other Pokemon is no joke
>>
>>31175443
Don't forget the fact that a Pokemon wouldn't drop forum if it lost, though.

A powerful Digimon de-volves, where a powerful Pokemon could simply rest. It takes time and energy for a Digimon to get to its full power, and it needs to never lose to maintain that power. A Pokemon simply needs to train and it stays powerful, with some Pokemon, like legends, just always being strong.
>>
>>31175505
There's also the fact that some digimon battles result in the 'Mon actually getting killed. Pokemon usually just faint if they're beaten.
>>
>>31175543
What about Raticate and Marowak
>>
>>31175580
>Raticate
Fan theory
>Marowak
Killed by gangsters who were attempting to harm its child

That's not too say that there have never been fights where Pokemon died (we do have two confirmed wars) those are just shit examples.
>>
>>31174908
it is popular, just not AS popular, and not everyone who isn't that familiar with digimon hates it. It's very hard to argue that pokemon has better design and """story""" than digimon really if you'd just be honest with yourself.

Pokemon does simplicity better, if that is your preference. One thing to note about it though is that humans and Digimon weren't meant to live harmoniously, so if Pokemon were designed like Digimon there would be a problem in terms of plot and what feels/looks more natural or believable. Pokemon works because it's toned down, Digimon works because they are literally separate worlds. At least in Digimon it makes sense why most people only have one partner, I still can't wrap my head around why the fuck pokemon has the 6 rule, even for villains. It also makes 0 sense why you can send pokemon to a box but cant retrieve them at any given time.

Anyway, imo Digimon trumps Pokemon in almost every criteria, but Pokemania hit hard too fast. They also won't make good enough handheld games. I played a few but eh, I suppose it's hard to play when there's nobody to talk to about it and stuff. I still think Digimon World 1 is better than every pokemon game thus far tho, that shit was fucking hard.
>>
>>31175505
That varies. In the anime, Digimon partners drop down to their initial form because it's easier for the animators to deal with. In the games, Digimon keep their evolved forms.

>>31175484
In terms of story, sure. But nearly any flying type Pokemon can one-shot the damn thing with Brave Bird.
It's intimidating and a legitimate threat in the story. In the battlefield, they're just weird looking Pokemon on par with anything else you can catch. For Digimon, they maintain their level of threat in the fight. That's the key difference.
>>
>>31174913
And Kyogre/Groudon/Deoxys weren't? Pokémon objectively jumped the shark with gen 3 by the way. That much is undeniable.
>>
>>31175667
>And Kyogre/Groudon/Deoxys weren't?
Of course not, lore wise they're just basic level legendaries that had a fight.

>Pokémon objectively jumped the shark with gen 3 by the way. That much is undeniable.
How do you figure? The only real difference was that there was a semblance of a story other than that Pokemon never went above their previous levels like they did in gen 4 with the Gods of the entire universe.
>>
>>31175443
I want they original dragon to be a thing in game but after seeing how guzz looks I'm scared
>>
>>31175693
>Of course not, lore wise they're just basic level legendaries that had a fight.
Yes but their fight threatened to destroy the entire world, rather than being almost without lore like the Kanto legends, or with a very limited scope like the Johto legends. They are the definition of "Neo tier".

How do you figure? The only real difference was that there was a semblance of a story other than that Pokemon never went above their previous levels like they did in gen 4 with the Gods of the entire universe.
I mean the franchise in general jumped the shark. It was the first gen with remakes, showing an increasing reliance on nostalgia to push sales. The games themselves were no longer fun (and no, don't tell me "Emeral fixed everything!" The damage was already done). The franchise's cratering sales in gen 3 are a testament to that. Everything stopped being fresh and exciting, and gen 3 was probably the first set of games to REMOVE features in previous installments without adding anything substantial in return. I guess running was cool(?), but that's just about all I have to say in gen 3's defense. Most normies will tell you they stopped with Gold/Silver.
>>
>>31175667
>Pokémon objectively jumped the shark with gen 3 by the way. That much is undeniable.
That's like saying they jumped the shark in gen 1
>>
>>31175766
Whoops, meant to greentext your quote. Oh well.
>>
>>31175443
I'd say its pretty intimidating as far as pokemon go.
>>
>>31175766
>Yes but their fight threatened to destroy the entire world
Region.
They were never world scale mon. You could argue they retconned that in ORAS but they still don't show any kind of power like that.

>I mean the franchise in general jumped the shark. It was the first gen with remakes, showing an increasing reliance on nostalgia to push sales. The games themselves were no longer fun (and no, don't tell me "Emeral fixed everything!" The damage was already done). The franchise's cratering sales in gen 3 are a testament to that. Everything stopped being fresh and exciting, and gen 3 was probably the first set of games to REMOVE features in previous installments without adding anything substantial in return. I guess running was cool(?), but that's just about all I have to say in gen 3's defense. Most normies will tell you they stopped with Gold/Silver.
You do realise that's not what "jumping the shark" means right?
It just seems like you had a personal gripe with Gen 3 rather than it going way beyond what Pokemon should be.

Also this part in particular
>and gen 3 was probably the first set of games to REMOVE features in previous installments without adding anything substantial in return
Still goes to gen 2 in that in gutted Kanto and removed the Safari Zone and added nothing in return.

Oh and I hope you're not one of those people who called graphics a feature.
>>
>>31175719

Scared of what?

Guzz was made the way he was on purpose as the entire point of UB's being different designs

If they did make the original dragon it is most likely staying similar to the 3 dragons it spawned
>>
>>31175800
Not the same anon, but remakes were jumping the shark
>>
>>31175812
But guzz is too catoony if that makes sense, he just looks goofy overall instead of intimidating
>>
>>31175825
That's not what jumping the shark means. That's like saying Pokemon was always more than it should have been.
>>
>>31175842
Jumping the shark means a franchise doing something crazy to think and increase interest and sales/views/e.t.c, which remakes arguably are
>>
>>31175853
>Jumping the shark means a franchise doing something crazy
The keyword being "crazy".
Just to let you know, doing something extremely predictable isn't a crazy move.
>>
>>31175667
>Pokémon objectively jumped the shark with gen 3 by the way
>the gen that literally set the standard for all future games and kept the franchise alive
>>
File: 1480831737215.png (248KB, 410x408px) Image search: [Google]
1480831737215.png
248KB, 410x408px
>>31175885
>Remakes were predictable
>>
>>31175622
>it is popular, just not AS popular,
digimon is barely popular in japan
>>
>>31175919
>RS is totally incompatible with gen 1 and 2
>no way to get the pokemon exclusive to it
What did you think was going to happen?
>>
digimon is the better series.
>>
>>31175936
they did release all of them in Colosseum and Gale of Darkness though
>>
>>31175936
Some sort of wierd link cable, not remakes
>>
In game counterpart: Liligant

While I enjoy Liligant for remaining a true "monster" by not being too humanoid, I think Lilimon comes out on top as the winner. It's following digivolution Rosemon could be compared to Tsareena, which I have to say Rosemon also comes out on top. The problem is that Digimon often looks more like superheros, super-villains or summons from a Final Fantasy game. They don't paticularly look like "cute little friends" we collect or have in the home unless they're below champion level.

These comparisons though are only based on objective design. Liligant is a waifumon flower lady, so is Lilimon etc. Outside of plain aesthetic comparison, I have to say that both fit their respective story-based objective. Their looks being rather suited to their power level, because Lilimon is an Ultimate, where Liligant is a final evo that's basically equal to champion or a big rookie like Renamon. Remember also that Lilimon if powered down, would end up as a giant fucking lesbian freedom fighting cactus, then Liligant would definitely win in terms of aesthetics, but objectively the cactus isn't bad for what's supposed to be an ugly thing turning into a beautiful thing later. If Liligant had a mega, it might be able to be compared with Lilimon more fairly.

It's hard to make fair comparisons, it's especially unfair because digimon have more stages that can all be accessed at any given point desu.
>>
Stop saying desu you fucking weebs
>>
>>31175945
Digimon is a shit series objectively though. They can't even please their fans half the time.
>>
>>31175825
>remakes were jumping the shark

Do you know what jumping the shark means?
>>
>>31175853
Literally digimon appli bomba
>>
>>31175885
Remaking a 6 year old game is crazy. It's probably unprecedented for any gaming franchise to rely on nostalgia as a crutch as much as Pokémon has after gen 3.

>>31175886
The franchise survived, but as a shadow of its former self. No game has passed 20 million since gen 2. Arguably the end of the fad was inevitable, but you can't deny that gen 3 drove a lot of normies away.

>>31175800
>It just seems like you had a personal gripe with Gen 3 rather than it going way beyond what Pokemon should be.
In a way my personal gripes were everyone's gripes. Again, falling sales bear this out. Hoenn was just an exceptionally weak region with shit designs. Natures arguably ruined the key premise of these games: the ability to choose your party without having to worry too much about competitiveness. It got rid of swarms, day/night, weekly events, backwards compatibility, apricorn balls, and so much else that was special in gen 2. If it weren't for the Genius Sonority games gen 3 would have been an unmitigated failure in my eyes, but it was the beginning of the end for gamefreak.
>>
>>31175800
>Still goes to gen 2 in that in gutted Kanto and removed the Safari Zone and added nothing in return.
He was probably referring to gameplay features. If we're including locations as features, then Gen 2 actually removed the least amount of content since half of the previous game was in that one.

Also, the Safari Zone was replaced by the Bug Catching Contest, though there weren't as many Pokemon to catch there. You could argue it's inferior but not that they added "nothing in return".
>>
>>31175996
I would've said adventure tri, but yeah that as well
>>
>>31176002
>The franchise survived, but as a shadow of its former self.
But becoming better?
>>
>>31175957
Colo had a few of the Johto mon but next to none of the Kanto mon. Remember you could only catch the shadow Pokemon anything else you had to trade over.
Not to mention Colo and the GC sold like shit compared to the GBA.

GoD came after the remakes and Emerald.

>>31175964
Which was impossible anon, the GBA and GB transferred data differently.
In other words they were totally incompatible.
>>
>>31175992
In what way are the remakes NOT emblematic of a creatively bankrupt franchise??? Do YOU not realize what jumping the shark means?
>>
>>31175766
>The games themselves were no longer fun (and no, don't tell me "Emeral fixed everything!" The damage was already done).
This. I didn't bother to play Emerald until 2012 because RS was so disappointing after GS. I disagree with you about the remakes though, FRLG were actually good (it helped that they had a post-game unlike RS).
>>
>>31176057
That would imply that Pokemon was running out of ideas in gen 3 and that's the generation that set the standard for the Pokemon games.

Also they weren't remade because they were running out of ideas but to make those pokemon easily available to players.

I don't think you understand what jumping the shark means.
>>
>>31175116
I read somewhere that Ken Sugimori (or one of those guys) said Pokemon have to be designed to do 2 things which is they have to be able to visually show they can fight and that they can also be a companion and friend to the protagonist. I feel like for the most part this is true in almost all pokemon designs. So that might be part of it
>>
>>31175766
>They are the definition of "Neo tier".
Dumbass, Neo was literally a universal tier threat in Digimon Next and threatened to destroy and recreate both the Digital and real worlds.
How on earth are they "Neo tier" threats? They barely fucked over a region let alone the world.

>or with a very limited scope like the Johto legends
You mean Lugia that could wipe a town off of the map without trying?
Or how about Ho-oh that makes life and death trivial because it can revive things whenever it likes?
Gen 2 had some absurd legendaries dude but they were all in line with each other until gen 4 came up with literal pokegods.

>It was the first gen with remakes, showing an increasing reliance on nostalgia to push sales
Okay?
How is that "jumping the shark"?
For starters Pokemon nostalgia was never needed at that time because merch sales and anime ratings were finally starting to level out after gen 2 dropped the ball in nearly all of those areas, which is why Crystal didn't sell particularly well.
Two it wasn't even made due to nostalgia but literally because those Pokemon were completely cut off from the new games due to the GBA's hardware.

>The games themselves were no longer fun (and no, don't tell me "Emeral fixed everything!"
I won't then.
I'll just tell you that RS fixed just about every mistake GSC made and even brought back the shit it left out.

>Everything stopped being fresh and exciting,
Contrary to what was said then. If you look back on old forums and magazines everyone found it more fresh and exciting because of the fact it was set far away from the last two regions and everything looked substantially different as opposed to a Johto which was just downgraded Kanto sprites.

>and gen 2 was probably the first set of games to REMOVE features in previous installments without adding anything substantial in return.
Nearly all of the Kanto dungeons were removed.
Birds were unavailable
No wild mon in Seafoam at all
No Safari Zone
Routes were shortened
>>
>>31176083
>Also they weren't remade because they were running out of ideas but to make those pokemon easily available to players.
Not him, but the reason they left those Pokemon out of the game was probably so they could make more money by making more games to complete the Pokedex. You make it sound like they were doing us a favor when it was just a money-making scheme.
>>
>>31175853
>Jumping the shark means a franchise doing something crazy to think and increase interest and sales/views/e.t.c
So what you're saying is that GF jumped the shark with GSC.

After all no one saw a sequel coming.
>>
>>31176073

>I disagree with you about the remakes though, FRLG were actually good (it helped that they had a post-game unlike RS).
FRLG are the best version of gen 1 out there, I am not disputing that. They are "fun" for first-timers or even people giving it another go after 1X years. But they came out in 2004. Yellow came out in 1999, a difference of just 5 years. It goes to show how rapidly the franchise decayed into a state of self-referential, nostalgic stagnation. If these had been one-off remakes, that would have been forgivable. But gen 3 established patterns that the franchise follows to this day. I don't doubt we will continue to get useless remakes nobody wants in the future. The problem with remakes is never that they're actively bad, but that they have such a high opportunity cost. Imagine if Gamefreak were giving us two new regions each generation, or god forbid giving us sequels again. The failure of gen 5 to match gen 4's sales will prevent that, but the problem was in execution, not the sequels in general.
>>
>>31176136
>After all no one saw a sequel coming.
lol
>>
>>31176136
>Thinking they wouldn't release a sequal to one of their most popular games
>What is super Mario 2, LoZ 2, e.t.c
>>
>>31176133
>but the reason they left those Pokemon out of the game was probably so they could make more money by making more games to complete the Pokedex
Actually the reason they left them out was because they were going to make them compatible with the previous games but then found out it wasn't possible due to the hardware differences.

You're making it sound like everything they did back then was just for a money grabbing scheme.
>>
>>31176002
It's true about gen 3, I'm not sure if it was gen 3s fault entirely though. A lot of kids were now hitting their teens, or late teens even. It was now uncool to enjoy pokemon, and would remain uncool until people gained confidence in not giving a shit anymore (or were reintroduced). Gen 3 is when I stopped playing really, and that's after I already began I did play it but I didn't return until 2009 when I saw a picture of Platinum in an old K Zone magazine when I was waiting in a room for something. I was like holy shit look at these pokemon Ive never seen, and then I saw Shaymin and bam I was dragged into it. It was also gen 4 that got me into breeding mechanics, evs, etc and even got me into looking at mechanics in previous gens/ understanding what is possible/impossible etc. I realized then that Pokemon was not as simple as I thought it was, I mean it was still simple but yeah.

Anyway, as I said it wasn't just caused by gen 3, but probably due to the pokemaniacs maturing and outgrowing it (or getting bored).
>>
>>31176152
That's the point I'm trying to make you idiot it was extremely obvious that both a sequel and a remake would happen at their respective points in time.
>>
>>31176165
Sequal, yes

Remake, no
>>
>>31176165
Speak for yourself. I remember being both surprised and actively pissed off at the blatant cash-grab FRLG. The prevailing wisdom at the time was that if the money-grubbers at gamefreak had just given us BC to gen 2 we wouldn't need the remakes. Even then they could have given us a sequel in the same region rather than the laziest of all options, remakes.
>>
>>31176057
>In what way are the remakes NOT emblematic of a creatively bankrupt franchise???

Yeah, they totally should have made brand new games with tons of new Pokemon set in a completely new region instead.

Oh wait...
>>
>>31176154
>>You're making it sound like everything they did back then was just for a money grabbing scheme.
>Yeah if by "everything" you mean "one specific thing I mentioned"
wow, how do i keep fucking up this post
>>
>>31176192
>had just given us BC to gen 2 we wouldn't need the remakes.
Anon, they literally couldn't.
You know how you can't use an American two prong plug into a European three prong socket?
That's what compatibility was like with gens 1 and 2 to 3.

The only reason it's working now is because we don't have that hardware issue and it's entirely digitial.

As for a sequel, that's GSC. If you go between that you might as well have a remake because it's implied that nothing of importance happened between those years and that TR had only just made a resurgence.
>>
>>31176002
>Hoenn was just an exceptionally weak region with shit designs.
Well I guess that confirms that it's your own personal gripes.

>Natures arguably ruined the key premise of these games: the ability to choose your party without having to worry too much about competitiveness.
Despite the fact that it was still entirely possible to do so? Just like with the previous generation competitive didn't matter in the slightest.
>It got rid of swarms, day/night, weekly events, backwards compatibility, apricorn balls, and so much else that was special in gen 2.
At this point it's obvious that you're that one shitposter who goes into threads shitting on gen 3 with obviously false statements like the above one.
In any case
>Swarms were shown on the TV
>Day and night were still there just not represented graphicaly
>Weekly events were still there and used for things like the slateport and lilycove sales as well as the blend master, berry master and his wife and so on
>Transferring was a HARDWARE ISSUE that was totally out of their hands yet it was obvious they were attempting to work around it given the data in the game
>the working apricorn balls were replaced with Hoenn equivalents like the Dive and Nest balls
This is where you're also going to list rematches even though Trainers Eye was literally the rematch system, right?

>If it weren't for the Genius Sonority games gen 3 would have been an unmitigated failure in my eyes, but it was the beginning of the end for gamefreak.
That would be gen 4.
All of the improvements that gen 3 made on GSC were removed for gimmicks and other intrusive features that made the game a slog and the same applied to HGSS as shown by the extreme dislike for the Safari Zone and noted lack of fixes.
>>
>>31176106
>I'll just tell you that RS fixed just about every mistake GSC made and even brought back the shit it left out.
Everything you listed at the end of your post that GSC left out, with the exception of the Safari Zone, was not in RSE either

And it's interesting that you're saying the removed Kanto areas were major omission that GSC left out of their previous game. If that's the case every other game is even worse since none of them had any previous regions at all.
>>
>>31175841

Yes and? Like I said they made that intentional with guzzlord

Are you implying they can't make intimidating designs? Because Guzzlord came in the same gen Golisopod did
>>
>>31175841
They aren't related, though. Kyurem looks plenty intimidating, though I don't know if "intimidating" is how the original dragon is supposed to look.
>>
>>31176334
Sounds like you have as much as a personal gripe against 2 and 4 as he does against 3.
>tfw you like all the generations for their own reasons
>>
>>31176661
You do realise the difference between a game not featuring staples of Kanto and a game that's set in a different place right?

Basically RSE and any subsequent game not featuring Kanto had no reason to have those elements because they're not Kanto.
However GSC DID in fact feature Kanto albeit in a dumbed down and feature stripped state.

Understand now?
>>
>>31175841
Shiny Guzzlord looks scarier than normal Guzzlord for some reason. Look at their third animation in the Pokedex, is what i mean.
>>
>>31175841

Your implying guzzlord is related to kyurem
>>
>>31176745
Not really.
I enjoyed them to say the least but I can come to terms with their mistakes and faults.
The problems start when people starts saying "my opinion is an objective fact" like that anon did for various elements of gen 3 not to mention he's still also passing around false statements about it.

In other words, if you're going to voice complaints at least make sure they're real complaints and not ones you made up.
>>
>>31176019
no.
>>
>>31176795
I guess that explains why gen 6 and 7 are shit.
>>
File: 1483070158722.jpg (1MB, 1000x1412px) Image search: [Google]
1483070158722.jpg
1MB, 1000x1412px
Waifumons. No contest.
>>
>>31176752
I understand your viewpoint but I don't really agree. You're criticizing them for leaving features out when they actually went above and beyond most other games by bothering to include another region at all. If we're counting removed areas as omissions from the game, GSC actually removed the least from its previous game, since every other game has no areas whatsoever.

I agree with you that it could've been done much better, but I still give it credit for even trying, unlike RS where the only post-game content was one dungeon where you find a legendary like in Gen 1.
>>
>>31175988
we got cyber sleuth last year and are getting a new digimon world game this month so I feel pretty good to be a digimon fan.
>>
>>31176896
>You're criticizing them for leaving features out when they actually went above and beyond most other games by bothering to include another region at all.
The problem being that it not only removed several places that gave the area substance, that were also fan favourites, it also negatively impacted the game as a whole leaving us with an incredibly short main and post game. You have about a 10 to 15 hour game which is incredibly short for a Pokemon game.

>GSC actually removed the least from its previous game, since every other game has no areas whatsoever.
You need to understand this, there's no logical reason to judge those games for the removal of an area that was never an area in that game.
Kanto on the other hand WAS a part of GSC and was recreated unfaithfully.

>unlike RS where the only post-game content was one dungeon where you find a legendary like in Gen 1
And a non glitchy tower mind you.
With that said RS more than made up for the post game with it's optional content which far outstripped previous games even before Emerald.
>>
>>31176896
>when they actually went above and beyond most other games by bothering to include another region at all.

>Shoved in an incomplete Kanto at the last minute when Iwata saved their ass for free nostalgia points instead of making new and fresh content
Yeah, "above and beyond".
>>
File: Eater Eve.jpg (83KB, 426x554px) Image search: [Google]
Eater Eve.jpg
83KB, 426x554px
In Cyber Sleuth, Nihilegos fuse with several different characters. You can actually fight against a Nihilego-Lillie fusion.
>>
>>31177077
Man, the eater designs were neat but the game as a whole was underwhelming.

Such a shame.
>>
>>31177034
>that were also fan favourites
>was recreated unfaithfully
Not him, but now you're grasping at straws. All the towns are there, there is Diglett's cave, Mt Moon (with a secret place now) and go on.
There are no legendary birds because Red catch them all in gen I (gen III also removed that). There is no point on going to seafom islands since Articuno wasn't there. One Snorlax is still there and the other one is part of Red's team.
And most Battle towers are repetitive. The only good one is the battle factory in Emerald, where you change your team after every battle. Hoenn could give us another region in the post-game, anything, yet Masuda decided to give us just one battle tower and one legendary.
>>31177076
>last minute
wtf. Just say that you don't like gen II and that's it.
>>
>>31177076
I've never seen any proof of that being true. Other than that Iwata made "Pokemon compression tools" which people assumed was for Gold and Silver. There's even less proof of "shoving in Kanto at the last minute", when you look at the game as a whole it seems like it was always intended to have Kanto.
>>
>>31176821
sorry, we have salazle ,tsareena and primarina.
>>
>>31175986
Not sure if troll, but in case it's not
>lurk moar
>>
>>31177179
>And most Battle towers are repetitive. The only good one is the battle factory in Emerald, where you change your team after every battle. Hoenn could give us another region in the post-game, anything, yet Masuda decided to give us just one battle tower and one legendary.
I can understand not including a whole other region, but they could have at least given us SOMETHING. Kinda like the post game areas of Gens 4 and 5. Not a whole region but at least part of one.
>>
Cyber Sleuth is pure fanservice for me, and i hate the fanservice a lot.
>>
File: Venusmon.png (310KB, 342x499px) Image search: [Google]
Venusmon.png
310KB, 342x499px
>>31177208

But in fairness Digimon did do them both "first" and "better".

>Pokémon are wild animals; Digimon have human level sentience and can therefore give consent
>Digimon tend to resemble humans more closely, especially at mega level and when traditionally female-looking

Pic related is a modern example, but stuff like Angewomon has existed since the Digimon equivalent of Gen I.
>>
>>31177179
>wtf. Just say that you don't like gen II and that's it.
Nigga GSC was literally in development hell and at the time they were rushing about trying to get something out. They even made Blue, Yellow and the Pokemon Pikachu to buy time.
Add in the fact that the game was obviously restructured at least once given that Silent Hills was never in the full game, they only had a total of four developers at the time and Kanto was in a stripped and butched state then you get a pretty obvious quick addition.

>>31177196
> which people assumed was for Gold and Silver.
There's no assumption about it dumbass.
Iwata not only helped out with GSC but also Stadium and RBY's localization.

All of this shit is literally in the Iwata asks about HGSS.
>>
>>31177208
spotted the furfag
>>
>>31177441
>but also Stadium

helped? He literally remade the engine from scratch and even fixed all the bugs RBY had.
>>
>>31177441
Yep. But not last minute. This is just a meme.
Last minute was for example Mew in gen I.
And Iwata was there to help with compression. Don't came here saying that they only called Iwata "in the last minute".
>>
>>31177441
>All of this shit is literally in the Iwata asks about HGSS.
I know, that's what I was referring to. They don't specifically say which game the compression tools were for. GSC wasn't the only game they were discussing.

>>31177496
Also this.
>>
>>31177496
>>31177543
So we all agree GF team are mediocre and they should let Genius Sonority handle the main games?
>>
>>31177577
No, because Colo was even worse. (never played XD though).
>>
>>31177594
Colosseum was alright for a spin-off, just look how much love they put on XD, Battle Revolution and Shuffle. All of them are allright games.

I say GS needs a real chance to prove themselves.
>>
>>31177577
Yep.
GF should have been pulled from Pokemon after Gen 1 in all honesty.
>>
>>31177577
I wouldn't say Genius Sonority, but yes, GF is incompetent.
Pokemon is easily one of the greatest franchises ever.
>>
>>31177640
I liked the concept of Colosseum but the slow battles and shadow Pokemon mechanics were really annoying and caused me to drop the game. So I will say there's at least potential there.

I dunno why he brought up GS though considering Stadium 1 and 2 were developed by Nintendo EAD and HAL, which is why Iwata was involved, and that I'm skeptical he worked on GSC. I wouldn't be surprised if he did since Pokemon was important to Nintendo, just that I haven't seen anything besides the Iwata Asks interview which is vague.
>>
>>31177757
And by GS I mean Genius Sonority, not Gold and Silver.
>>
>>31175622
>I still can't wrap my head around why the fuck pokemon has the 6 rule, even for villains. It also makes 0 sense why you can send pokemon to a box but cant retrieve them at any given time.
Game mechanics and balance retard. If pokemon was an anime-only series and never had games to go with it, I can guarantee there would be no "only 6 pokemon" rule or any other bull like that.
>>
File: arceus.gif (972KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
arceus.gif
972KB, 500x250px
Oh hey don't mind me just being near OMNIPOTENT.
>>
>>31176002
get off the board if you hate the games so much fuckwad nobody wants to listen to your complaining. almost everything you said is completely subjective anyway so im not sure if this is bait honestly
>>
>>31177179
>All the towns are there, there is Diglett's cave, Mt Moon (with a secret place now) and go on.
That's about it for note worthy places
Cerulean cave was gone.
Pokemon Mansion and Cinnabar are gone on and explained by an invisible volcano.
Viridian Forest was merged into route 2 and shortened horribly. Mt. Moon was shortened horribly too mind you.
Seafoam had no mon whatsoever.
Pokemon tower was converted into a one floor "tower"
The Power Plant is no longer the dilapidated dungeon we knew it as but rather just another room.
Even Diglett's cave was cut down to a ridiculous degree
And so on.

>There are no legendary birds because Red catch them all in gen I (gen III also removed that).
This is literally an invisible volcano tier of justification. There's no indicator at all of Red catching them especially since they've made subsequent appearances in later games like Plat and if Oak's word is anything to go on they're the same ones from Kanto.
Of course you could say something like
>there are multiple!
Which then raises the question as to why there were none in Kanto until HGSS.

>There is no point on going to seafom islands since Articuno wasn't there.
How about exploration. You know, the thing the single player portion of Pokemon is based around?
And if GF were any good at what they did they would have placed something of worth there.

>And most Battle towers are repetitive
And no one is denying that, however the Tower in RS was the first working version of it as it would constantly glitch out and reduce the stats of Pokemon.

> Hoenn could give us another region in the post-game
It could have, at the cost of the improvements and content within the game. So we would have no bases, contests or blending, a lack of exploration like the previous gen, possibly no safari zone, trick house, natures, abilities. You get the picture and that is certainly more preferable to an empty region.
>>
>>31173934
This
>>
>>31175886
Gen I and II are a completely different set of games from III and onward.

I and II has a lot in common, not just gameplay-wise but even spiritually in terms of the mood and etc., with games like Earthbound and Dragon Warrior.

I think people often forget Gold and Silver were meant to be the end of Pokemon. R/B weren't necessarily setup for a sequel but G/S had a lot of things it could use to build on top of and run away with. The battle against Red on Mt. Silver is essentially a definitive final battle.

R/S/E is a reinvention in a lot of ways in the aftermath of that. It wouldn't have made sense to just do a straight sequel in the aftermath of G/S.

>RB
start

>GS
intended as an immediate sequel and a concluding story to RBY

>RS
a refresh of the series meant to set it up as a sustainable multi-generational franchise that supports a video game series, video game spin-offs, an anime, a series of trading cards, etc.

>DP
Masuda had several interviews where this game was meant to act as the 'ultimate' Pokemon games. Hence why they went all out on the legendaries, and the box trio deal with the fundamental physics of the universe itself

>BW
Similar to what RS was following from, you can't really 'escalate' on top of what DP just did. You literally just introduced the God of all Pokemon. Instead, BW is another 'reboot', actually a harder reboot than RS was, that seems to have its inspiration around the idea of what Pokemon would look like if the franchise had been developed in 2009/10/whenever, instead of 1997/98.

>XY
It's easy to forget how chock full of content these games are, but they get knocked because they're the first games that seem to have been made with no fucking direction. It introduced Mega Stones, and the first games to go really hard with Genwunner pandering. It fooled around with the idea of a cross-game story with ORAS, but didn't commit to it in any satisfying way.
>>
>>31174576
Liking digital monsters is the contrarian opinion since it's regarded as a flop
>>
>>31177962
>I think people often forget Gold and Silver were meant to be the end of Pokemon.
They were never meant to be the end of Pokemon.
It was meant to be the end of Ishihara's involvement with Pokemon. In other words he was planning on quitting but the series would go on.
Jesus, so many of you take that quote out of context.
>>
>>31177577

GF is still the heart and soul of the series

If anything get another company to design the overworld and graphics while GF still does what they normally do
>>
>>31177962
>Masuda had several interviews where this game was meant to act as the 'ultimate' Pokemon games.
Oh and this was GSC
>>
>>31175622
This delusion
>>
>>31177962
cont

>>31177962
>SM
I really think these games are a spiritual successor to Colosseum/XD, than they necessarily are BW/B2W2, in terms of deciding that the way to create a literal series of Pokemon games is to focus on a different subset of Pokemon each time, and be a primarily story-driven affair.

This is probably the most sustainable way of continuing the series, because it doesn't put as much focus on quantities of new Pokemon, but rather their qualities, which allows their number to grow at a controlled pace. Remember, all this shit needs to be tracked by an anime, card game, and a fuckton of other merchandising. The TCG has already started to have some - admittedly more autistic nitpicking, but still - problems keeping up with the number of new Pokemon each gen.

As well, if the games do continue in this direction, it lets you build an entire world of fully-fleshed characters that would be recognized across these merchandises. Instead of constantly bringing back Looker every single time and having some convoluted continuity, or constantly making call-outs to Gen 1, it lets you focus on cute waifus that attracts a niche but older target audience (here's looking at you, /a/, and your Skyla NTR doujin) with cash to spend, while also letting the anime and other franchises do interesting things (anime couldn't keep doing what it was doing, and the card game has gone fucking mental with Full Art trainer cards that fetch up to $100 dollars on EBay).
All this has fuckall to do in common with Gen I/II anymore except for the Pokemon, that have gone through drastic changes in design concept to be easier to model in 3D/be easier for children to draw/be cuter to better attract casual fan purchases.
>>
>>31178067
He's not wrong.
>>
>>31177929
>still grasping at straws

>There's no indicator at all of Red catching them
Look at the cover. It's literally written "Gotta Catch 'Em All". And again, look at snorlax. There are 2 snorlax in that game, exactly like gen I. And like I said before, Gen III killed the "Gotta Catch 'Em All", so Red didn't catch them in gen III, and that's the reason you could found them in gen VI. No, I'm not saying any bullshit like: There are multiple.
>How about exploration.
Of what. An empty cave? We already got an Ice cave in gen II. Exploration is good in the beginning of the game, but after 12 badges do you still want empty caves?
>at the cost of the improvements
Nope. Gen II give us the most important improvements of the franchise, and the re is still another region. If they could do that in a GBC cartridge, why couldn't they gave us in a GBA one? Also, see the post >>31177251
>>
>>31176002
>implying selling millions is a flop
Digimon would kill to have the numbers of this "shadow of its former self" franchise. Reach harder
>>
>>31178033
Definitely not. The quote was in the context of talking about Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina as in control of the matter and antimatter of the universe and they chose that as it seemed appropriate for the idea of being 'ultimate', as well as talking about the amount of content stuffed in the games in terms of the Poketch.

>>31177990
GS in no way set up for the franchise to go on. It was a sequel to RB and definitively ended the story that those games started, and didn't do much else.
>>
>>31178168
Source for Diamond/Pearl as "ultimate games": http://www.gamespot.com/articles/pokemon-platinum-qanda-giratina-anti-matter-and-emc2/1100-6205772/
>Junichi Masuda: We produced Diamond and Pearl as the ultimate Pokemon titles.
>>
>>31178133
>Look at the cover. It's literally written "Gotta Catch 'Em All". And again, look at snorlax.
Okay so you have evidence for Snorlax because it was a mandatory encounter to progress.
What of the birds?
And for that matter how does a west only tagline affect a japanese game?

>And like I said before, Gen III killed the "Gotta Catch 'Em All"
See above.

>Of what. An empty cave?
>And if GF were any good at what they did they would have placed something of worth there.
Even then exploring an empty cave would still be better than exploring next to nothing.

>Exploration is good in the beginning of the game
Exploration is always preferable anon. It's literally the substance of the RPG genre without it you might as well be watching a movie.

>but after 12 badges do you still want empty caves?
Why would I not want more to do in a game I like?
The extra 8 badges basically amount to 30 minutes of content given the short nature of Kanto so why wouldn't I want something else to do?
Hell they could have added new areas to them in addition to the old ones.
Instead they either got rid of them or shortened them considerably.

>If they could do that in a GBC cartridge, why couldn't they gave us in a GBA one?
Because
1) GSC was built up on RBY's code and copy and pasted the majority of Kanto and the assets.
2) Contrary to what you believe GSC didn't add much revolutionary mechanics. There were two new types, breeding, Pokerus and the split three of which being extremely easy to implement into the game.
3) RS was essentially built up from scratch and used entirely new overworld assets as well as more unique NPC sprites compared to the previous generation. It doesn't take a genius to realise how ambitious RS truly was compared to GSC.
>>
>>31175505
Are you dumb? Only the protags have the power of friendship crap to force evolve.
Digimon who digivolve normally just die.
>>
>>31178378
Aren't digivices like emotion converters or something?
So they convert the emotions of the tamer into temp data for the digimon to Digivolve.

I don't remember where I read it or if it was a theory but it does make a lot of sense.
>>
>>31175988
*Cant please Americunts.
Its pretty successfull in jap world.

They have terminals in public places for certain games exclusive there.
In 2016 they had a game similar to Pokemon Go, but you could actually battle and it was a real game.
>>
>>31178363
>killed Gotta Catch Em All
I don't think they've ever literally killed this idea. It was dropped from North American marketing for a while, and changed in its meaning, but you've always been pushed to collect all the Pokemon/buy all the merchandising.

catch em all:
RB: catch all 150 Pokemon
GS: catch another 100 Pokemon ontop of the 150
RS: catch all the Pokemon, eventually, across Ruby and Sapphire, and/or any combination of Emerald/FRLG/Colosseum/Gale of Darkness
DP: catch em all, again! all the Pokemon are available again in a similar multi-game setup
BW: catch all of the new 150 Pokemon. fuck you the old ones are inconsistently available in a sporadic manner
XY: fuck
SM: we cant keep doing this. catch em all, but a subset of them all. we'll introduce a few new pokemon each time but under limited Pokedexes so it's in manageable portions, while still maintaining support for any of the older Pokemon. if you're fucking autistic, the bank will have its own Pokedex
>>
>>31178363
>And for that matter how does a west only tagline affect a japanese game?
oh yeah, they added this and the nips never knew about it.
>What of the birds?
I'm not gonna explain this for a third time.
>Even then exploring an empty cave would still be better than exploring next to nothing.
So, still nothing? You will saw Pokemon that you already saw before and nothing else?

You know, this is bullshit.
>30 minutes of content
>copy and pasted the majority of Kanto
now this is easily the biggest bullshit in your post. First, you said that they changed Kanto, now you're saying that is a copy pasted version. Holy fuck, the whole Kanto was remaded, just look at the graphs. Enough with that pointless discussion. Hate Gen II how much you want, but don't think that people believe in that shit that you're posting.
>>
>>31178363
>>31178539
>>And for that matter how does a west only tagline affect a japanese game?
>oh yeah, they added this and the nips never knew about it.
You're correct. Japanese tagline was "Pokemon Getto Daze" which basically means the same thing. It just wasn't on the boxart.
>>
>>31174847
That's literally just bad powercreep.

It's like the Saiyans coming from Toriyama's ass and wiping the floor with Piccolo.
>>
>>31178590
Doesn't Ash shout Pokemon Getto Daze at least once in every single episode of the anime? Again, I don't think they'll ever kill it.
>>
>>31178605
He shouted it in the first Japanese opening, at least. And he still says it in the episode previews today, IIRC (not 100% sure because I don't watch the anime)
>>
>>31178539
>I'm not gonna explain this for a third time.
You have no explanations anon. You've literally just gone
>but Red caught them
Without providing anything other than a mandatory Snorlax encounter.

>So, still nothing? You will saw Pokemon that you already saw before and nothing else?
One more time
>>And if GF were any good at what they did they would have placed something of worth there.

>First, you said that they changed Kanto
Hence why I said majority and not all, keep up. Having some areas be a copy and pasted doesn't mean that they all are. With that said reducing the size of the areas is easy once you've copied them over.
>now you're saying that is a copy pasted version.
See above.

> Holy fuck, the whole Kanto was remaded, just look at the graphs.
You do know how graphics are placed right? Again that doesn't mean it wasn't just ported over.

>Hate Gen II how much you want
Oh I don't hate gen 2. I just have no attachment to it because I wasn't five years old while playing it.
In other words I can accept where it went wrong and where it didn't unlike yourself by the looks of things.
>>
>>31178590
>Japanese tagline was "Pokemon Getto Daze" which basically means the same thing.
That just means something along the lines of "I've got it". So catching them all was never a thing in Japan.
>>
>>31178703
what? how does 'pokemon getto daze' translate to 'ive got it'. why would the word pokemon translate into anything other than pokemon
>>
>>31178729
Because it's not "Pokemon Getto Daze" but "Pokemon, Getto Daze"
As in
>Pokemon, I've Got it!
>>
File: IMG_0949.png (328KB, 800x445px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0949.png
328KB, 800x445px
>actual discussion on this board for once
>it's about digimon
>>
>>31178815
Duh, Digimon has more to talk about than Pokemon.
Like how Appmon is pretty good.
If only it had Wada's music RIP
>>
>>31178363
>2) Contrary to what you believe GSC didn't add much revolutionary mechanics. There were two new types, breeding, Pokerus and the split three of which being extremely easy to implement into the game.

You forgot held items, shinies, friendship, and the clock system. And it's not surprising that Gen 3 has new assets since it's on a completely different system.
>>
>>31178949
>You forgot held items, shinies, friendship, and the clock system.
I admit I forgot Held items but the rest had no purpose to begin with.
Hell friendship was literally just to pad out the evos.
>>
>>31175800
>Region.
>They were never world scale mon.

Two seconds of googling and screencapping
>>
>>31178687
>Oh I don't hate gen 2. I just have no attachment to it because I wasn't five years old while playing it.
>In other words I can accept where it went wrong and where it didn't unlike yourself by the looks of things.
Where DIDN'T it go wrong?
>>
Is it safe to call most Digimon overdesigned? I'm not hating but a lot of then seriously have too much shit going on.

I don't know what it's called but that giant robotic wolf with guns all over its body is a perfect example.
>>
>>31173520
this is a very nice design

>>31173529
this one not so much
>>
>>31179719
Breeding for starters because now you don't have to restart the game for a new starter to complete the dex. Then again, it came with babies attached.
Daily events were a novel idea at first but didn't really transition well into real time due to the waiting.
Held items were always good but the trainers in game should have utilized them.
>>
Digimon was good until it became saturated with cosplay waifus, mecha dragons and hollywood goombas. I haven't watched Yokaimon yet, but the more it does away with the above three samefag categories, the better it'll do.
>>
>>31180102
Don't forget mecha dragons that turn into cosplay husbandos. It was cool when I was a kid and they weren't so predictable, but it's a bit disheartening now that pretty much every important line ends with a human in armor.
>>
>>31178378
>Digimon who digivolve normally just die.
They actually degenerate and become a digiegg, or in other words they reincarnate.
>>
File: digimon bible quotes.jpg (365KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
digimon bible quotes.jpg
365KB, 1920x1080px
>>31180443
depends on your definition of reeincarnation, they may not be the same mon when the egg hatches.
>>
>>31180443
In some Digital Universes
Adventure they reincarnate.
Tamers they straight up die if they're not absorbed.
Frontier I never watched
Savers they could be killed by the Gizumon
Xros Wars is reincarnation
Appmon we don't know yet
>>
>>31176784
No I'm not but I am saying their designed by the same company
>>
>>31178815
>expecting any sort of discussion on 4chan
>>
>>31180567
Well if Digimon World is to be believed, then it is the same Digimon with the same memories, just in a new body, and it can grow into something different than what it previously became.
If it dies of old age (a natural cause), it keeps a certain percentage of its stats and remembers all of the moves it knew in its previous incarnation. Should it die in battle or from illness, and the next incarnation might not be as strong or forget some techniques.
Actually, on that note, I really liked how once you learned a technique, it was catalogued so you can pick and choose attacks. It really doesn't make sense why Pokemon hasn't done that yet.
>>
File: 1468928559838.jpg (137KB, 991x621px) Image search: [Google]
1468928559838.jpg
137KB, 991x621px
>>31175853

No, jumping the shark is doing something stupid, half-assed or contrary to the basis of the media in order to revitalize interest.

Jumping the shark and "They did something I don't like" aren't related.
>>
>>31182509
>No, jumping the shark is doing something stupid, half-assed or contrary to the basis of the media in order to revitalize interest.
Agreed, but that means the guy he was replying to who claimed Gen 4 legendaries were jumping the shark is also incorrect
>>
>>31182553
>Agreed, but that means the guy he was replying to who claimed Gen 4 legendaries were jumping the shark is also incorrect
Hold on now, because that's partially what the Gen 4 legends set out to accomplish.
And it was also a stupid and half-assed way to one up the previous generation.
>>
>>31182664
>It just seems like you had a personal gripe with Gen 3 rather than it going way beyond what Pokemon should be.
Sounds like a personal gripe to me as "going way beyond what Pokemon should be" is purely your opinion. As it being stupid and half-assed. Like >>31182509 said, jumping the shark and "They did something I don't like" aren't related.
>>
>>31175933
this. Digimon even clings to nostalgia sales even more than Pokémon is accused of doing for genwunners. See the Tri movies (which are actually not bad)
>>
>>31182553

"Jumping the shark" is one of those vague, subjective concepts that gets thrown in a lot by people who don't know how to explain why they don't like something.

I think the idea of pokegods can go either way. To me, personally, its one of those inevitable things but at least it didn't come out of nowhere. DP seemed to have a slight mystical bent, what with team galactic being a cult, that giant cathedral, all the shit about creation and ancient times.

It would have felt more jarring if it suddenly pokegods showed up in the endgame, but here it felt like it had a purpose ad lead-up too.

Its fine and legit for a person to say that they found something to be bullshit and turns them off from a series, even if they can't explain why.

I never liked breedings and IVs and think they make things unfun
>>
>>31175443
That was the point. They are seen as horrific insults to existence by characters, but when they become understood are no different than the familiar.
>>
>>31182772
>"Jumping the shark" is one of those vague, subjective concepts that gets thrown in a lot by people who don't know how to explain why they don't like something.
Yeah, that's true. I did find Dialga and Palkia stupid, though I also found Groudon and Kyogre stupid, but I wouldn't claim that either of them "jumped the shark".
>>
File: 1482450803300.jpg (212KB, 1072x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1482450803300.jpg
212KB, 1072x1500px
>>31182786

phermosa a cute

CUTE
>>
File: 1481687072766.png (251KB, 957x612px) Image search: [Google]
1481687072766.png
251KB, 957x612px
>>31182836

I think its because RS didn't have as much to take serious. I mean Team Magma/Aqua were complete idiots.

It seems like 4 is when the games started taking themselves a bit more serious.
>>
>Mascot gets a bunch of one-shot alternate versions
>>
>>31182772
>I never liked breedings and IVs and think they make things unfun
Can we finally take the next step and just admit that EVs, IVs, natures, and all of that bullshit make Pokemon alienating, boring and overly complicated?
This is one of those reasons why Digimon still sticks with me. It takes a page from Tamagotchi's book and shows the Digimon's strength and personal growth visually instead of behind an arbitrary system of numbers that need calculators on third party websites to find out.
You train your Agumon to get all of his stats up and make sure to care for him properly? Congrats! You get a Greymon! Stay on track and you can get a MetalGreymon or something else awesome. You fuck up super hard? Here's a Numemon. Now if you want something decent from it, you're going to have to REALLY work for it.
With Pokemon, you have two of the same mon at level 100, same attacks and all, but one overlooked little thing like IVs or their nature will mean one is secretly better than the other. And new players who come in who just want to train a monster and win fights suddenly stumble on all these arbitrary invisible numbers and suddenly wonder if they're playing the game wrong by having fun. Because now if they want to get the absolute best version of their favorite monster, they have to spend days breeding, hunting for specific items, trading, and a whole other mess of shit.
>>
>>31183075
The intent is to have different Pokemon be unique even if same species, but that also means that there are better versions. With the virtual pets there were factors into how good your's was even with same species, but it was easy to cap out in the original ones so became entirely match-up probability and in Pendulum the largest influence in battles was the curve for shakes to ideal and attribute which were tied to species.
>>
>>31182975
I'd say 3 and 4 are about the same in that regard. They both have an "epic" save the world plot and evil teams with retarded plans to use the legendary Pokemon for their own purposes.
>>
File: 2agqygo.gif (441KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
2agqygo.gif
441KB, 400x300px
>>31175975
Objectively great taste.
>>
>>31183075
>Pokemon alienating, boring and overly complicated?
That is what makes pokemon good. On the surface it's simple and accessible but it has borderline arbitrary aspects that make the game enjoyable for a niche portion of the fanbase that will be there when everyone else outgrows it.

Take shinies for example. They make absolutely no difference in gameplay and sometimes little difference in appearance but people spend hours and days seeking them out. Pokemon strength lies in it's balance between accessibility and depth.
>>
>>31177208
You have furshit. You do not get to claim any sort of high ground over fucking furshit.
>>
File: machamp gal.png (757KB, 900x845px) Image search: [Google]
machamp gal.png
757KB, 900x845px
>>31183510
Shines won't make or break a mon. Those hidden stats will. They are two totally different ballparks. Let the fanatics keep shinies, but IVs are garbage.

>>31183075
I look at EVs sort of how the training in Digimon worked only instead of risking getting a numemon you just risk having to retrain all over again because you decided a magcargo really needed speed for some reason.

EVs I can handle as anyone can do those with time and dilligence. The IVs need to go, however. It's to the point literally everyone in tournaments cheats to get perfect IVS either directly with injection or indirectly with breeding hacked mons. When something is so tedious that people just say "fuck it, I'll cheat!" that's a sign it's bad.
>>
>>31173663
He might be referring to Banette
Which I doubt

And Omnimon was rad, but was he ever really a beloved mascot?
>>
>>31183600
How will you differentiate wild pokemon and make them more than clones of each other?
>>
MUH BROS. It's something people here like to spout a lot about pokemon, but digimon really drives that point home better and stronger. There isn't any IV bullshit like in pokemon and rather than having 6 mon, you have one "soulmate" you're bonded to. Also Applimon is doing a great job of washing the bad taste Xros left in my mouth, whereas SM isn't doing that for XYZ.
>>
>>31183655
I got to play Moon before playing X. Let me tell you, X feels so unplayable in comparison.
>>
File: 1483066508603.jpg (38KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1483066508603.jpg
38KB, 600x338px
Stat and type her /vp/
>>
>>31183683
Im not saying SM is bad, but I feel it doesn't wash away how bad XY was. Xros was fucking atrocious (worse than anything pokemon could ever put out), but luckily Applimon does a better job than SM of washing away the bad taste the other put in my mouth.
>>31183716
Who cares? I just want to fuck her and Lilithmon.
>>
>>31183716
Redundant shit version of Minervamon
delet
>>
File: inside pokeball 1.png (833KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
inside pokeball 1.png
833KB, 750x750px
>>31183649
That's what the training is for. Pokemon that are wild could get EVs appropriate to their level.

Levels 1-5 don't get any extra EVs so give newbies a running start but from level 6+ wild pokemon get some EVs. It could be done either as an overall gain like when you just randomly battle mons or the stats could be randomized so one wild one might be slightly faster or stronger than another.

This gives a good reason to breed: level 1 pokemon won't have EVs added so you can avoid having to retrain. It also gives some reason to catch and bother with low level wild mons.

As it's just training it could be undone and re-trained using whatever methods are in the game (ex: bags & berries) so mons found only late in the game won't be totally screwed up unless bred.

This will extend to legendaries/events/ect though at level 50+ in the wild so they will always have EVs trained keeping them difficult to catch.
>>
>>31180607
>Appmon we don't know
I swear if they kill any of the main cast's appmon I won't forgive them. The digi-protags this time around are pretty good, especially compared to Xros, Adventure S2, and Savers.
>>
>>31183824
>4-unit combination resembles a Leomon, de wasu
>>
>>31183735
>Xros was fucking atrocious
Shit taste dude.
>>
>>31183921
Fucking defend those awful digi fusions with nostalgia pandering harder than anything GF could ever pump out. Because I sure as shit can't.
>>31183895
what did he mean by this de wasu?
>>
File: Oujamon.png (644KB, 790x979px) Image search: [Google]
Oujamon.png
644KB, 790x979px
>>31183978
>>
>>31184009
Thats a meda bot
>>
>>31173619
Fnaf
>>
>>31183978
>Fucking defend those awful digi fusions
>Not modding your digital monsters

>with nostalgia pandering
What nostalgia pandering? The closest thing to pandering is the last two episodes of the entire series.
>>
>>31183780
That seems pretty boring. The little ones and zeros need something to set them apart and make them unique. I see no reason why I should have more than one of each pokemon if they are all identical. There is also no reason to care about any pokemon if I can just get an identical one in the wild. There are people who transfer their pokemon from the old games all the way up to the new ones.

In my opinion pokemon games have never had a better than mediocre story. The story you create yourself is always great and varies from game to game in part because of the variance between pokemon.
>>
>>31184044
>Fusion always uses Omnimon head/sword/gun cannon
>Let's call on these LEGENDARY digimon who all happen to be from the first season
>All the digifusions look like odd trashyard horrors often in the shape of a centaur with uncreative names.
It's trash
>>31184009
Forgivable given that it evolves into poseidomon.
>>
File: Lifetime together.gif (69KB, 360x1760px) Image search: [Google]
Lifetime together.gif
69KB, 360x1760px
>>31184109
It's personal attachment that makes any pokemon special. That is literally the real reason people bother with multigen transfers.

Something like IVs just forces players to give up pokemon they are attached to because they will never be able to compete thanks to crap IVs (I'm looking at you, starters!). That cruel choice between being able to actually do things postgame outside of shiny hunting (read: ditch your bros because they have crap IVs) or keeping your old mons (read: you will never be competitive outside of NPCs ever) is what turns pokemon into numbers instead of creatures. People dispose of their pokemon just to be able to keep going. This ruins the personal narrative.

Being able to salvage ANY mon so it can hang with the big boys allows you to create more stories as the same mons can be with you from the beginning and still be as tough as any others of their type. Yet those mons will always be special as they were there for your personal story. Removing IVs will enrich the personal narratives, not take away from it!
>>
>>31184148
>>Fusion always uses Omnimon head/sword/gun cannon
The only thing that resembles Omegamon is the white color and the fact it has three horns. Aside from that it's head is an entirely different shape when compared to Omegamon.
The sword is made of Starmon and looks nothing like Omegamon's Grey Sword even when it's X4K.
And it's never used a Garuru Cannon type deal.

>>Let's call on these LEGENDARY digimon who all happen to be from the first season
You mean like Marine Angemon, Impmon, Darkdramon, Guilmon and Leviamon? Also you do know that a lot of these digimon had more appearances outside of the first season right? Hell, Agumon in particular was a partner digimon in at least 3 different series. Those being Adventure, Savers and Next.
Which is probably why that Digimemory had 3 of them.

>>All the digifusions look like odd trashyard horrors often in the shape of a centaur with uncreative names.
>>Not modding your digital monsters
As for the names, they're combos not digivolutions. and the Cross represents how many and what shoutmon is Xros'ed with.
Like X4K which is X4 + Knight mon.
>>
>>31182770
>>31175933
Source: Your ass
Thread posts: 205
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.