[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 15

File: black-white.jpg (44KB, 469x210px) Image search: [Google]
black-white.jpg
44KB, 469x210px
Gen V appreciation thread. Anti-genfivers go make your own thread we've heard it all before anyway.
>>
I remember beating Gen V
but I don't remember any of it. Except for one N fight where he kicked my ass multiple times.
>>
Been playing Black 2 till i can get the cash for a 3ds and Sun. Hoping to spread it out til i can get the Shiny Gible to transfer over
>>
> Unova is based on the land of the free and the home of the brave.

> N

> Cheren and Bianca are perfect foils for each other.

> N

> Calls one of the base foundations of Pokemon - that the little critters are willing friends and not pitfighting slaves - into question in a thoughtful and complex manner.

> N

> Antagonistic team with sympathetic goals.

> Ferris Wheels.

> Gym Leaders that actually do shit.

> N Fucking Harmonia.

Just to name a few.
>>
>>31171530
I never got why people here love N so much. Out of all of the great Gen 5 characters he seems like the most bland one, or am I missing something?
>>
>>31171448
>gym leaders do something in the plot
>N is at least competent and is a decent final obstacle
>Ghetsis being a cunt
>Bianca and Cheren having okay character arcs
>new Pokemon only in BW (might not be good for some people)
>experience scaling system
>B2W2 being a sequel and not the same games with a few minor differences
>PWT, Memory Link, hard mode
Not my favorite but I liked it.
>>
>>31171552

The dude was raised with practically no human contact and has next-to-zero social skills, and all the autists here can relate.

Also, he's an antagonist with noble intentions which is a first. He proves himself every bit the player's equal in befriending a Title Legendary. Sexual tension with Hilda on the Ferris Wheel. The list goes on.
>>
>>31171448
By keeping the story linear, things were allowed to occur in a meaningful way.
Despite being linear, there was enough in the way of little secrets and nooks to avoid being Hallways, The Game.
The postgame was substantial, though it did feel a bit hollow in B/W 1.
PWT is literally the best battle facility. If the Subway had been removed for the PWT, I would have still been a very happy camper. Why isn't there more PWT? There needs to be more PWT.
At the time, Zekrom and Reshiram were kind of a relief from the lore-power creep that had been taking place. Zekrom and Reshiram wern't gods, they were just dragons with lore and powers.
The BW 1 Dex brought you out of your comfort zone when making your ingame team. I have had more fun with pokemon games since BW, both later generations and previous, because of the way BW made me change the way I built teams.
Coolest desert, with ruins and everything. Even if it is off the main highway.
>>
File: unlimited powaaaaaaah.png (771KB, 1919x816px) Image search: [Google]
unlimited powaaaaaaah.png
771KB, 1919x816px
>>31171448
Best thing with Kyurem is that its B/W forms are fucking permanent and changeable at will, something Complete Zygarde wish it was.
>>
File: wnl.jpg (86KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
wnl.jpg
86KB, 500x572px
>>31171448
best gen for grass pokemon

>waifu lilligant (great for in-game)
>prankster whimsicott
>stall mushroom
>solid as fuck ferrothorn
>contrary snake
>NEET bug
>cute cactus
>colorful deer
>virizion best design among the swords of justice
>and uh simisage
>>
>>31171448
Were the first pokemon games to actually get me interested in competing with other people and made me think breeding is fun.
GTS abuse too
Also the first where i actually caught them all.
I loved how the region felt really new, with old pokemon, even Pikachu being unavailable until post game
Music was god tier for me, second best in the main series.
The games were fast unlike gen4, and graphics were looking really great at least on dsi, old ds made the games look awful.
Story actually made me give a fuck, not pmd tier but good enough - outside of the story game was still fun, unlike sm, and yet somehow the story felt complete
I loved the sequels, a direct continuation of the story was something we didn't get since gen 2, and was done even better this time.
Also, PWT.
>>
>>31171686
and bugs
>>
It wasn't gen4
>>
Gen 5 is my favorite but N fucking sucks
>>
>>31171646
PWT isn't that great. pretty much any battle frontier facility is better
>>
>>31171448
>appreciation
>ion
>n
>N
>>
>>31171974
Fuck, I can't remember if this was caused by the Zoroark meme.
>>
>>31171686
One day I will do a playthough using Maractus.
>>
>>31171448

>made the enemy team feel important because they were THAT close to achieving their goal
>Veteran Shaun
>Entralink was pretty cool, being a prelude to O-Powers. Really should have had Internet capabilities.
>introduced the battle box
>unlimited TM's being the no brainer
>even Gen 5's shitmons are far and away better than Gen 2 and Gen 3's shitmons
>>
>>31172209
>>even Gen 5's shitmons are far and away better than Gen 2 and Gen 3's shitmons
This. Even Basculin and Maractus are okay, compared to shit like Beedrill, Delcatty, and Gumshoos.
>>
>>31171448
>large dex
>forced you to try out new pokemon
>good gym leaders with relevance
>infinite TMs
>repel prompt
>>
>despite BW having a smallish dex thanks to being only new mons, distribution was good and type variety was reasonable for most types, especially compared to Kanto and DP
>best plot and characters (SM is second for me)
>some of the coolest Pokemon (subjective)
>pace of the game in terms of battles and menus and the like is incredibly fast and fluid rather than DP's sluggishness so it doesn't feel a slog
>BW2 had a giant dex with every generation at the time yet still focused on the Unova Pokemon and didn't pander to anything else that much
>god tier music
>Audino grinding is so easy
>most interesting Gym Leaders and a memorable E4
>BW1 had the best climax of any of the games, while BW2 instead had an awesome frigate
>freshest experience, even more than Gens 6 and 7
>>
>>31171448
>What went right?

Amazingly, nothing
>>
>>31172789
See, this is why nobody agrees with you. The most staunch haters of gen 6 will be able to identify one or two positive things about it, or even say it was a mostly decent game. The fact that you can't do the same shows that you aren't actually trying to grade based on content.
>>
>>31172832
Reusable TMs were good and BW2 was good because of access to non-shit pokemon. Now go have a cry about it
>>
>>31171448
>Wanting to make a fresh take on the formula by soft-rebooting the franchise with 150 brand new pokemon without any older one in the regional Dex
> A more 'realistic' city designs, with GYMs that were other things, like restaurant, bars, schools, etc.
>Actually setting up GYM leaders. There were no longer random dudes. They had more personality than any other before.
> PWT
> Best compelling storytelling overall
>>
>>31171777
The PWT is pretty much the entire gen 4 frontier but better.
>>
Having played black 1 on my ds but never played b2 is it better to emulate it or buy it for dream sequences poke bank etc
>>
I didn't buy BW/BW2 until 2014, and hate that they'd already taken down the WFC.

Someone, tell me what its online features were like. I wish I'd been able to experience it :(
>>
>>31172994
memory link not dream sequence
>>
Everything, really.
Best story in the franchise.
Best pokemon designs in the franchise.

Only thing that went wrong is Black and White 2 being pieces of shit and ruining the story.
>>
>>31173006
The dream world was just minigames for HA mon. Other than that it was the standard stuff.

Connecting with players put NPCs of them in your join avenue so you can level it up which is why we had the magnemite trades. But you can level up join avenue without connecting.
>>
>>31173022
Who cares if BW2 had a worse story when it had the best gameplay?
Acceptable losses dude.
>>
Nothing , lenora a shit
>>
File: 30360999_p5.png (215KB, 600x427px) Image search: [Google]
30360999_p5.png
215KB, 600x427px
>>31171448
>Cities felt huge and full of life, like seeing comments made by others running down the road
>Gyms leaders actually have a life outside of the gym
>Rivals are some of the best of the series
>Evil team actually manages to catch the mascot legendary, forcing you to catch the other mascot.
>HMs not shoved down your throat like Gens III and IV.
>Battles are fast compared to Gen IV and even VI.
>Regional pokedex consisting of the new Pokemon only.
>>
>>31171448
I liked N as a char
>>
>>31171448
>Take everything good from Gen IV, including the music, and improve it
>Add in an actual story and great characters
>Make each and every city and Gym Leader unique and memorable
>Balance the fuck out of it all and make over or underleveling almost impossible
>A new batch of 150+ Pokemon and make it a world of its own
There you have it.
>>
>>31171448
N is one of the best chars in the pokemon universe
>>
>>31173072
>>Battles are fast compared to Gen IV and even VI.

>halfway there to a full 60fps game again
>tfw 6 set us back
>tfw 7 is even worse
>>
>>31171777
CHECKD
>>
>>31171777
PWT would work well as a facility. >implying that battle palace is better
>>
>>31171448
I regret selling this game.

>>31171599
>Sexual tension with Hilda on the Ferris Wheel.

Kek.

>>31171646
>Coolest desert, with ruins and everything. Even if it is off the main highway.
>Despite being linear, there was enough in the way of little secrets and nooks to avoid being Hallways, The Game.
>The BW 1 Dex brought you out of your comfort zone when making your ingame team. I have had more fun with pokemon games since BW, both later generations and previous, because of the way BW made me change the way I built teams.
>>
>>31171448
It added the most pokemon to the cast
>>
>>31171448
Cynthia has a appereance. Rest is shit
>>
>>31172981
The PWT is the battle tower with ebin references, did you ever even tough the gen 4 frontier?
>>
File: Wrong2.jpg (70KB, 400x236px) Image search: [Google]
Wrong2.jpg
70KB, 400x236px
>>31173158
>>
>>31171448
That battle zone bitch from Johto is now a E4 member. That was cool
>>
>>31173177
Checked and this. What was her name again?
>>
>>31173164
Have you ever used the PWT before?
I bet you didn't even know it had other formats.
>>
It's amazing how they Gen V was worse than Gen IV in almost every imaginable way. Usually a series progresses to become better with each installment, but not here definitely. Shows in the sales as well with Gen V being by far the worst selling generation, as it should.
>>
File: 1483308203996.jpg (33KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
1483308203996.jpg
33KB, 500x334px
>>31173208
Shit taste
>>
File: caitlin.jpg (45KB, 800x821px) Image search: [Google]
caitlin.jpg
45KB, 800x821px
>>31173190
Caitlin. The comfiest
>>
I replay gen 5 the most simply because gen4 battle take forever

As much as i love hg ss its a fucking slog
>>
>>31173223
Thx Anon, i always found her cute.
>>
>>31173208
>It's amazing how they Gen V was worse than Gen IV in almost every imaginable way
Agreed.
Well, except for story, content, replayability, variety, accessibility, speed, exploration and music.
Other than that gen 5 was a shit show
>>
>>31173232
The pokemon were also better
>>
>>31173249
Oh yeah that too.
>>
>>31173232
>>31173249
>>31173259
The funny thing is guys, there are actually dumb redditors who think this
>>
>>31173325
>Reddit likes IV more then V.
Yeah, they have shit taste
>>
>>31173341
Looks like you mixed up your V and your IV there buddy
>>
>>31173349
Oh excuse me. You have a bad case of shit taste and liking V more then Iv doesn't make me Reddit. Kys or fuck off.
>>
>>31173349
Nah he's right. Reddit honestly thinks 4 is better than 5.
>>
>>31173366
>Kys
That makes you Reddit
>>
>>31173349
>>31173366
>>31173373
>that blatant samefagging
>>
>>31173366
Wow triggered. Maybe you're right and you're not reddit. May be from a place of even worse taste, tumblr. That would make sense actually seeing as the overall tone of Gen 5 was that of a tumblrite's terrible faux-manga.
>>
>>31173373
>That makes you Reddit
Nah, fuck off GenIV-Baby

>>31173401
GenV is based.
Shit taste my dude
>>
>>31173388
Literally only one of them is me
>>
>>31171448

Anyone else feel that B/W > B2/W2? The sequel may have been mechanically superior but it feels like they threw away everything that made the first game so special and fresh.
>>
Champion Alder.
>Great encounter theme.
>Catchy and fitting battle theme.
>Actively participates in the plot.
>He really looks like a champ, unlike those overrated bitches, like cuntboy Steven or miss everybody loves me despite me not taking part in the plot whatsoever simply because I am a woman Cynthia

The only bad thing about this guy is the fact that he's not challenging at all, other than that, best champion in the franchise.
>>
>>31173436
There was nothing special or fresh about BW1 so no, BW2 is in every way superior. Actually clawed its way up from being a Gen V game to being decent.
>>
>>31173436
Only in the fact that BW didn't let you use older mon. Other than that 2 was a straIght upgrade.
>>
>>31173453
>>31173455
BW1's story was better then BW2
>>
>>31173453
>There was nothing special or fresh about BW1
I was essentially SM done right.
Gyms and their leaders were given some flair and stood out for once.
The story was there but wasn't hyper intrusive.
And only new mon something that hasn't been done since.
>>
>>31173443
>Liking Mr Jobber who still has no place in the plot Alder
>Attacks the 2 champions which make him so vastly inferior in comparison

Why are Unovafags the saltiest cunts alive lmao
>>
>>31173473
No, SM was BW done right. Some people on this board, I swear.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIq_ENEHRfA

How about the OST? I feel like these games have easily the best OST in the series, many memorable tunes, like Aspertia, Castelia, Accumula (specially with piano and drums), the elite 4 fight, champion theme, Ghetsis, N, and of course, vid related.
>>
>>31173476
t. mad Sinnohfag
Your game is shit, stay salty
>>
>>31173484
Oh god, that gym battle batlle theme was god-tier. Especially when the gym leader only has 1 pokemon left and the music gets more hypier.
>>
>>31173476
>Alder
>no place in the plot

Wow, this guy is even worse that denialfags were back in the day.
>>
File: Lacunosa_Town_BW.png (307KB, 428x394px) Image search: [Google]
Lacunosa_Town_BW.png
307KB, 428x394px
>>31173484

Lacunosa is low-key the comfiest song in the franchise.
>>
>>31173484
Castelia city will always have a special place in my heart, there's something about that tune that is very nostalgic. I used to head to the Café Sonata and enjoy the music there.
>>
>>31173495
>Turn up
>I am le champion of Unova xD
>Hey come help me fight these evil peeps lmao
>Oh no I lost

Name one thing Alder did that Steven and Cynthia didn't do in Emerald and Platinum except for job to Masuda's fujo assistant's fanfiction OC
>>
N was a great story element, because he was a deconstruction of the "im so mysterious and 2 steps ahead of youu lolololol" character. He acted like the totally-wise and mysterious person he thought he was, but when he was told about how socially retarded he really was by his own dad, he was left speechless.

Also, YOU got to prove the "mad genius trickster XD" wrong in glorious combat, but it was done in a way to steer the encounter away from being mean-spirited. It felt more therapeutic for N more than anything, or at least to me.

People really don't give N enough credit.
>>
>>31173484
Village Bridge with all the Dark Musicians in sync is GOAT
>>
>>31173601
The bad thing is that what you wrongly excuse as a deconstruction was actually a genuine attempt at making that kind of character.
>>
>>31173607
>Dark Musicians

I know we're talking Gen V so it's very easy to confuse with Yu-Gi-Oh stuff, but that wasn't their name
>>
>>31173589
Okay, Steven was okay in Emerald, I'll give you that.
About Cynthia..

>Turn up
>Hey give food to these ducks :3
>Nao fight the bad guy while I watch despite me being tecnically better prepared than you for any fight XD

At least Alder activelly foguth Team Plasma and he tried to slow down N despite being obvious that he had no chance to win (lore-wise) just to give you time to get your own legendary dragon.
>>
>>31173615
I'm not sure about that, everyone in game pretty much called him a retard.
>>
>>31173628
Exodia the Forbidden KEK
>>
>>31173635
Cynthia has tits so it doesnt matter dude
>>
>>31171448
> ITT: Sinnohfetuses and Univabortions shitpost at each other

Oh you children.
By the way, Black and White came out 6 years ago. So, you underaged kids can't be here. Go to Reddit or something. 4chan is an 18+ site.

Thanks.
>>
>>31173482
You mean SM was BW done wrong.
>>
File: 200px-Black_2_White_2_Colress.png (47KB, 200x301px) Image search: [Google]
200px-Black_2_White_2_Colress.png
47KB, 200x301px
This guy. They're usually really on the nose about whether a character is stereotypically 'good' or 'bad' but Colress had his own motivations and skirted the line between ally and for. Plus, GOAT battle theme of the series, easily and hands down.
>>
>>31171448
The legendaries went right. After gen 4 jumped the shark, gen 5 brought it back to earth with a pretty interesting concept too. N was the perfect rival for this concept. Everything fits so well, you can tell GF loved these games a lot.
>>
>>31171448
Nothing
>>
>>31173656
Fortunately gen 5 was only popular among veterans of the series. Younglings didn't quite like that their meme tier mons weren't in.
>>
>>31173766
>veterans of the series
What?
>>
>>31173766
can confirm. 26 year old genwunner and five is easily my second favorite in the series.
>>
>>31173772
As in the older ones that played the game as a game rather than just a fad.
>>
>>31173705
In a world that's mostly black and white, you could say he's Collorless
>>
>>31173705
>tfw his battle theme
1....2.....3.....4 !
>>
>>31173729
>Sinnoh legends
>Main legends focused around the pokemon creation myth with neat thematic powers centred around spacetime, and other legends also all have cool lore and strong ties to the region
>All look good

>Unova legends
>Main legends some mythical dragon remnants that separated because of the barely elaborated on differences between truth and ideals and whose story was left hanging permanently. Other legends some ponies, some copypasted sprites, two uguu blob pixies and a robot bug which all have barely any ties to Unova except for the robot bug
>All look garbage except the dragons and the robot bug, some so bad they had to retcon them with new forms in BW2
>Also the Kyurem fusions are shit in principle for being incomplete even though W does look kind of neat.
>>
>>31173897
S H I T
T A S T E
>>
>>31173897
>because of the barely elaborated on differences between truth and ideals
That was literally the point.
Truths and ideals are interchangeable.

Meanwhile gen 4 just had the first literal gods, an area pokemon should never have gone, with lore that doesn't tie into said gods and they all look like horrendous abominations.
>>
>>31173940
You sure have it
>>
File: 1478132162117.png (1MB, 773x772px) Image search: [Google]
1478132162117.png
1MB, 773x772px
>>31173790
>>
>>31173897
>Sinnoh legends
>three Pokegods with the dragon type slapped on because GF couldn't think of anything else with little lore outside of the statue and cave paintings and they all look like shit
>three moe blob clones
>some kind of psychic duck thing with the aesthetic of a broken rocking horse/duck
>a hedgehog but green and white
>poorly designed and utterly pointless regi addition
>a moe blob that can breed into a moe blob the can't evolve
>darkrai

At least do a good job of it anon
>>
>>31173954
Groudon, Kyogre and Fug are all the same as Dialga, Palkia and Giratina, the latter just have cool spacetime powers. There is nothing overreaching about anything in gen 4, it is only a creation myth. You are just autistic.

There was no message about truth and ideals being the same, because they aren't. GF was just lazy but for some reason couldn't leave it at gay fire dragon and cool lightning dragon.
>>
>>31173957
No u
>>
>>31173983
>Fug
IT'S CALLED RAYQUAZZA.
This meme needs to stop
>>
>>31173983
>There was no message about truth and ideals being the same, because they aren't
Did you miss the entirety of N's development?

Also there's a huge difference between pokemon that can create land over several generations and literal deities of the elements of the universe
>>
>>31173897
>are shit in principle for being incomplete
That's because BW had common, unlike DP.
>>
File: FUGTRIO.jpg (11KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
FUGTRIO.jpg
11KB, 320x240px
>>31174001
>>
>>31174001
Its name is Rayquaza, you dyslexic shitlord
>>
>>31173766
>>31173778
> Lying on the internet to hide your age

Why do you do this?
>>
>>31171448
everything besides the monkeys and non-snek based starters
>>
>>31174009
At the point where you have dieties of the land sea and sky you're already on such a grandiose level that you may as well do Time and Space. The biggest criticism you can give to that is not "omg they jumped the shark", because they didn't, it's that they didn't do enough with it in regards to moves and abilities.
>>
File: IMAG0266.jpg (843KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0266.jpg
843KB, 1520x2688px
>>31174047
>>
>>31173954

>Not liking Freudian Space Godzilla
>>
>>31174066
>dieties of the land sea and sky you're already on such a grandiose level
One, they weren't deities they were just super powerful pokemon which us why I specified them making land and what not over time. And on that note Ray was a guardian not a creator.
Two, that's actually a step back from the previous generation if you remember right Ho-oh can bring things back to life.

How can you even place the Lords of creation on the same level as that? Comparing it to Groudon and Kyogre who didn't do any damage to the region despite being out for a longer time Dialga and Palkia literally started warping time and space from the moment they were summoned.
Once again they are deities of the elements of the entire universe. They ARE time, space and anti matter without then they don't exist.
Remove Groudon and Kyogre and you still have land and water.

Are you starting to understand?
>>
>>31174066
>sky
Rayquaza is no "deity of the sky". It just chills on the atmosphere. It didn't create anything, if it died tomorrow, nothing would happen.

Groudon and Kyogre are just retards with a lot of power. Their work is done, if they died tomorrow, nothing would happen.

Way different than "emotions were created with this pokemon" or "this pokemon was here to start the universe". That's just retarded... I mean, people had as much of a role on shaping the planet as Kyogre, Groudon and Regigigas.
>>
>>31174092

>5' 8"

You don't know what you just walked into.
>>
>>31174121
Don't you even compared that mistake to based space godzilla.
>>
>>31174126
>How can you even place the Lords of creation on the same level as that?

I'm not. It's such a level above humans that they are functionally the same from a story standpoint.
>>
>>31171448
I liked the story, some charachters and a good number of pokemon. I need to buy pokemon white since my black cartridge just won't work anymore and I prefer Zekrom over Reshiram.

My biggest complaint is obviously the genies of healthy meta. Fuck the genies.
>>
>>31174212
That's like saying 1 is equal to 1000 because they're both numbers.
Yes they both play the same role in sense that they're mon that are sought after by the antagonist however that doesn't place them on the same scale. Any way you spin it Dialga and Palkia far exceeds previous legendary pokemon.
>>
If Gamefreak wanted to jump the shark sooner, do you think Megas or Z-Moves could have been implemented in gen 5?
>>
>>31174619
Gems are non-broken Z-Moves.
>>
>>31174619
Megas.
Z moves wouldn't achieve that flash in a 2D environment. And that's all they're good for.
Thread posts: 129
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.