[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we fix the type system?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 892345.jpg (260KB, 1428x741px) Image search: [Google]
892345.jpg
260KB, 1428x741px
>Top tier

Fairy, Ghost, Steel, Water

>High tier

Dragon, Electric, Fire, Fighting

>Mid tier

Dark, Flying, Ground, Poison

>Low tier

Grass, Normal, Psychic, Rock

>Shit tier

Bug, Ice
>>
Well if Fairy and Ghost and Steel and Water are good and Bug and Ice are bad then make Bug beat Fairy and Ghost and Ice beat Steel and Water to fix?
>>
>>31119972
Bug beats Fairy, Ice resits Deagon, Ground, and Water.
>>
>>31119972
>Ice shit tier
Is that a defensive type list? Because ice as an offensive typing is top or high tier due to the threats it is super effective against.
>>
>>31120017
>Ghost and Ice beat Steel and Water

Realistically, I mean. How are these weaknesses justified?

Also, I'm talking about more than just the elemental rock-paper-scissors. Water is pretty average as far as that goes, but they have tons of other features (e.g. Rain Dance, Scald) that make them good.

>>31120096
Ice looks good offensively on paper. In practice, we have two problems:

1) Most Ice types have terrible coverage. The one's with good coverage (e.g. Mamoswine) usually get it by virtue of being dual-typed.

2) Ice moves have large distribution outside the Ice type itself. In particular, almost every Water type can learn Ice Beam, Ice's best STAB move. This and the fact that Ice is defensively a straight-up liability means no one ever considers Ice types when team building. Why run an Ice type on my team when I can just teach my bulky Water Ice Beam?
>>
>>31120035
Bug really should beat Fairy or at the very least do normal damage to it.

It's in a really awkward spot in the type system where it doesn't really have any niche. It's designed as a pretty bland offensive type, yet it's resisted by nearly half the chart and doesn't hit anything relevant.

At least Grass has a bunch of team support options. Bugs don't do anything aside from being mediocre sweepers most of the time.
>>
>>31119972
Let Steel resist Dark and Ghost again
Ice resists water
>>
>>31121352
Nerfing Steel defensively and buffing it offensively was a huge mistake.
>>
>Ground and Dark only mid tier

Nope
>>
>>31121495
>dark
Shittier ghost type, but with better moves.
>ground
offensively good because of earthquake, defensively average
>>
A type weak to Normal, Dragon and Bug and that is super effective against Fairy, Ghost and Steel
>>
Nerf Fairy by making it weak to and resisted by Psychic

Instead of resisting Bug, Fairy will now resist Ghost

Bug and Ice are too far gone to save without tearing it all down and starting from scratch. Bug might become worthwhile if you just give it another target type to be SE against. Ice might be improved it it got 1 or 2 more resistances not shared with Fire, Steel or Water. For example, it could resist something like Ghost and Flying and become unique in that respect.

Hail also needs to not be shit
>>
>>31121699
>weak to Normal

Terrible idea. Normal is the vanilla type, as it should be. Everything learns Normal moves, and Normal types themselves make up for that by having greater movepool diversity than other types.
>>
>>31121979
>Hail also needs to not be shit

The problem with Hail is that it doesn't synergize with anything but Ice types. Hail teams are practically synonymous with mono-Ice teams. Hail runs non-Ice types not because they benefit from the weather, but because they'd otherwise have glaring defensive holes in their team.

And even for Ice types, it's pretty underwhelming. All it does is trigger a few abilities (which have equivalents in other weathers) and make Blizzard actually usable. Why does Sandstorm boosts Rock type's SpD, but Hail doesn't give Ice types a Def boost?
>>
>>31122137
This I just can't understand. Why is it that Sandstorm provides a unique defensive boost and rain and sun provide type bonuses but Ice does neither? It's so fucking annoying how gamefreak just shit on Ice so badly.
>>
Make grass immune to fairy
>>
>>31119972
Bug isn't shit tier. It's one of the most balanced types defensively.
>>
>>31119972

>introduce sound type

>it has no weakness

>it isn't super effective against anything

>bug is immune to it

>soundproof mons are immune to it
>>
>>31122137
>The problem with Hail is that it doesn't synergize with anything but Ice types. Hail teams are practically synonymous with mono-Ice teams. Hail runs non-Ice types not because they benefit from the weather, but because they'd otherwise have glaring defensive holes in their team.

the problem with hail is that it offers NO benefit to ice-type inherently. Instead, it hinders every-type except Ice, which isn't the same thing. Yes, there are abilities that work with Hail, but it is not unique in this regard either. There's Swift Swim and Chlorophyll and Sand Rush just like Slush Rush.

Meanwhile, the other 3 weathers buff their respective types:
>Sun/Rain: Additional 1.5x modifer on those moves
>Sand: embiggens Sp. Def of Rock-types
>Hail: ???

Give Ice-type moves a damage boost or even increase their chance to freeze in hail or something. Give ice-types a Stat boost in Hail. Widen it's scope so it doesn't just work with ice-types. Give Slush Rush and Snow Cloak and shit to some non-ice types. Hell, My mom's dog gets Sand Rush. Make some bear that isn't a shitmon and give it Snow Cloak because hibernating or something. Boom, done
>>
>>31122640
The problem is Bug types aren't designed as walls/tanks. Going off the moves and existing Bugs, it's obviously meant to be an offensive type. And offensively, it's hot garbage.
>>
>>31122714
Speaking of freeze, why not make it a proper status for Ice types to abuse? As is, it's just a slightly better sleep status. Increase the unfreeze probability, then make Ice type moves that freeze more reliably and a freeze equivalent to Hypnosis. Ice types benefit in that they would be the only things bar Smeargle to use these moves while simultaneously being immune to freeze themselves.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.