[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: the "eh" Pokemon games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 12

File: 250px-Platinum_EN_boxart.png (118KB, 250x224px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Platinum_EN_boxart.png
118KB, 250x224px
We always like to talk about the best/most popular games in the series, but what about the ones that are just kind of sitting in the middle? For example, pic related, or even the first Black and White games. What held them back? What allowed them to be better than the really shitty games? Discuss.
>>
>>30989228
Platinum is pretty popular and good though
>>
>>30989228
What? Platinum is fantastic, what the actual fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>30989264
The "eh"tier is definitely Fire Red/Leaf Green.
I see barely complaints, but isn't seen as the best games either.
>>
>>30989228
This bait is eh/10
>>
>>30989228
>people defend gen 4
Platinum wasn't eh, it was shit
>>
>>30989264
yeah, so was FR/LG, but it wasn't the best.

>>30989296
see above.
>>
I'm replaying it right now. Barry and looker are spastic adhd fucks that contribute nothing(admitidly Barry may be improving? Going up the mountain now), the gyms are fucking jokes(besides the fucking frostless, fuck double team), team galactic using only 3 Pokémon is causing my rampardos to hog all the exp, half the trainers are using nfe pokemon that should've evolved ages ago, and the region feels pretty boring. I remember gen 4 being better than this.
>>
>>30989228
Platinum is one of the most popular games here, shitlord. You calling it eh-tier doesn't change that. And objective /vp/ eh-tier game would be FireRed/LeafGreen, nobody ever talks about those.
>>
>>30989444
>>30989511
nostalgia is a crazy thing, no?
>>
>>30989567
Yes for gen 1.
>>
>>30989444
Meanwhile I'm here replaying FireRed, and every single route I enter has an austic fuckton of Trainers that takes ages to get through, and they all use nothing but fucking Pidgeys, Ekans and other non-evolved shitmons. Sometimes they only have 2 Pokémon, and sometimes they have 5. It's pretty 50/50, actually. And the level-curve is spastic as fuck. At Silph Co., the first 8 floors is nothing but Lv. 25 Rattatas, and then all of a sudden they get cranked up to Lv. 33, and then your rival barks in and fights you with a team of 5 x Lv. 36-40. The region is boring, there's never anything to do than just go to the next area, nobody ever send you on your missions, you just casually walk into every single event that ever happens. You don't even infiltrate Silph Co. or try to help anyone, you just randomly walk in and find yourself in a mess you didn't know would be there.

Are all Pokémon really bad? Both the old, the new and the in-between? Because I really feel like they all suck, just in their own ways.
>>
>>30989567
I'm not talking about my own opinion for Platinum. Learn to fucking read, idiot. It's just that the general consensus here is that Platinum is good, and that's a fact whether you like it yourself or not.
>>
>>30989228

>replayed HG for a nuzlocke
>still the fucking best remake
>>
>>30989372
Nah, FR/LG are not popular by any means at all, Platinum is, though.
>>
>>30989640
Name 1 (one) thing, HGSS did better than ORAS. And no, Kanto does not count as postgame.
>>
>>30989264
It's only seen as good by a very vocal minority. Gen 4 in general is held up by HGSS. Everything else ranges from bad to okay.
>>
>>30989683
GB Sounds
>>
Platinum saved sinnoh
>>
>>30989737
No, it isn't the only reason Gen 4 is seen as anything other than trash is because of how well Platinium saved Sinnoh and how HGSS mildly improved the problems of Johto.
>>
>>30989683

borrowing platinum's mini battle frontier (still better than ORAS's FUCK YOU answer fans about BF)
>>
>>30989683
Gym leader rematch
>>
>>30989228
Eh is FRLG, ORAS and SM.
>>
>>30989683
inclusion of events from the tird version
>>
>>30989228
What the fuck are you on about you worthless retard? Platinum is the best mainline game in the series, none of the others come anywhere near it.
>>
>>30989683

>battle rematches
>following mons
>GB Sounds
>no shit megastones
>Pokenav
>a postgame beyond catching legendaries
>>
>>30989683
It has a postgame.
>>
>>30989616
The level curve on Silph is because the idea is to be able to handle a bunch of low level shit all at once because it begins to wear on your team. If you made each of them as high a level as possible, you'd just be forcing players to either take multiple trips to the building or remove any semblance from the stronger trainers in the building. This is Pokemon, not Dragon Quest. If you think that fighting an autistic fuckton of Trainers is "boring" and "takes ages" is a problem, then you certainly can't be expecting grinding wild pokemon is the solution.

I'm not going to deny the other parts, but that is absolutely how you would design Silph Co. But it's fucking Pokemon, so you can just leave and heal, or eventually stumble upon the room with the beds because Pokemon is easy as piss with no actual threats of failure.

>>30989683
They changed things to make the games better and not easier.
>>
>>30989683
It has the better pallete and tileset, better music, a better region, better postgame, gym leader rematches, actual story related to it's legendary encounters in postgame, and tied to Sinnoh in a far better way than ORAS tied to Kalos. It has more personality and more effort put into background lore. It has more things to do.

Some of this is my opinion, and some of it is the truth
>>
>>30989783
The biggest thing wrong about Platinum is that it's based on such a shitty pair of games. It's amazing how they constructed something even halfway decent off of DP
>>
>>30989627
>A bunch of Sinnohfetuses claim that gen 4 is the best
>This somehow is a fact

You're retarded.
>>
>>30989616
Im playing FRLG for the first time and this is exactly my experience. My only fun so far is the Gyms and Sevii. I'm at Sabrina now.
>>
File: 1482475380883.png (53KB, 571x618px) Image search: [Google]
1482475380883.png
53KB, 571x618px
>>30989859
>>
>>30989992
>Reddit
>liking gen 4
>>
>>30989616
>Are all Pokémon really bad? Both the old, the new and the in-between? Because I really feel like they all suck, just in their own ways.
You just realized this?
>>
>>30990011
it was more directed at how he was being a rude and mean bully for no reason, and bullies like that usually come from reddit
>>
>>30989316
Yeah FRLG was good for getting the Pokemon missing from RS but it didn't even have a Battle Tower.

Of course, it's still the superior version of RBY but that's about all it is. There was still no attack split, it's on the pre gen5 exp system, and the old mons won't evolve until postgame so it's basically just RBY with better graphics. Nobody really used it as a main game after Emerald since Emerald had way more of an endgame. And honestly even RS had more of an endgame.

Since you can transfer from Virtual Console to bank now they are going to be even more forgettable.
>>
>>30990210
holy fuck, not only are you a weeb, you're literally acting like a child. "bully"? are you 9?
>>
>>30989783
It's really not. Most people see HGSS as the only redeeming factor of Gen IV, and for good reason. Platinum is better than DP, yes, but it's still held back by the fact that Sinnoh is an awful region and that Gen IV in general has a terrible dex.
>>
>>30990340
friendly reminder that this is what sinnohfetuses are like
>>
>>30989737
Platinum, BW2, and HGSS are pretty consistently seen as the top 3 mainline Pokemon games. Obviously not everyone has those 3 as their favorites (Emerald, Crystal, BW, and probably now SM are pretty popular too) but they're the most common games to see mentioned as the best games.
>>
>>30990237
FRLG did have a battle tower, underage shitposter.
>>
>>30990419
in all the voting /vp/ has done, BW2 and HGSS have come out as the 2
two best games. Platinum and Emerald are usually in 3rd or 4th place.

I know we recently had a poll where people voted platinum as the best, but one single poll released right after a massive influx of underage and newfags from the new games doesn't really mean much.
>>
>>30990396
>Most people see HGSS as the only redeeming factor of Gen IV
Johtobaby detected. HGSS isn't even better than Platinum
>>
File: f7FdEdG.jpg (10KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
f7FdEdG.jpg
10KB, 260x194px
>>30990396
holy shit this
>>
>>30990476
I thought that was the generation poll and that the second poll pretty much confirmed that HGSS holds up gen 4 rather than Platinum.

Also, you can't deny that people who played DPPt as kids are now able to post here and so they think their first games are the best. The same thing happened to RSE.
>>
>>30990421
Look it up again you idiot. It didn't have a battle tower. Before you insult, try to actually be right. Shitposter.
>>
>>30990503
>y-you're a johtobaby

when will the underage sinnohfetus trend end? Im getting sick of it already.
>>
>>30990503
You can whine all you want but I'm not wrong. Most people do see HGSS as Gen IV's sole saving grace. Both normies and this contrarian wasteland share that same opinion for the most part.
>>
>>30990531
Give me anything HGSS has that's better over Platinum. Everything to the rematching of Gym Trainers is better in Platinum. I started with Red version. HGSS is a piece of crap with a retarded level curve somehow worse than the original games.
>>
>>30990396
>I see it like this
>"most people"
Off yourself, you are the minority
>>
>>30990535
If majority indicated what I should think then I'd be listening to Beyonce and playing Red Blue because da original 150 are the only gud 1s.

Platinum is a better game.
>>
>>30989683
>Region comfy as fuck
>gba sounds to increase comfy
>following mons
>>
>>30990561
a well-designed region.
>>
>>30990561
The fact that I don't have to look at dppt's disgusting designs
>>
>>30989228
Fire Red & Leaf Green for sure. The artstyle was chunky/blocky, it had literally none of the features Ru/Sa had (and yet people said these remakes were the better games so Gen1 wankery existed way back then), and the redone soundtrack was pretty poor. They existed just to bring old pokemon into the other Gen 3 games and that's about it.

>>30989264
>Platinum is pretty popular and good though
Platinum is still D/P, therefor it still sucks. Slightly speedier surf speed doesn't make it suddenly good.
>>
>>30990639
>Kanto
>well designed

wew lad
and so well designed they couldn't even get the trainer levels right
>>
>>30990639
>Johto and Kanto
>well designed
Not even the Sinnohfetus you were replying to but holy fuck, you sure are delusional.
>>
>>30990661
Yeah you have to look at Johto's bla-oh wait, no you don't
>>
>>30990661
Thanks for admitting you are just plain biased and don't have an actual argument. So your opinion is basically worthless and just that, your own personal dislike of Sinnoh.
>>
>>30989228
RBY
>>
>>30990677
God you're one of ignorant people I've ever seen
Completely ignore everything it did and say "huur duur it just sped up surfing"
>>
File: 1481555624084.jpg (28KB, 667x670px) Image search: [Google]
1481555624084.jpg
28KB, 667x670px
>>30990677
>Ru/Sa
>>
So in two years are we going to get people saying DPPt sucks again and that Unova is the best ever once more? And then we'll see XY suddenly be hidden gems and SM be trash?
>>
>>30990787

pretty sure XY will always be considered the worst in the series unless they somehow fuck up even worse
>>
>>30990787
In /vp/ yes, this will most certainly happen. Everywhere else, nope; Gen 5 will always be seen as a mistake while literally no one will ever care about Gen 6.
>>
>>30990787
XY are forever shit. Not even nostalgia goggles can save it. Most of us can agree on that. The game is basically UNFINISHED. It's not even complete. There isn't even a backstory for the legendaries outside of the Pokedex. But that's just scraping the surface. Can't even get into it without writing a giant essay.
>>
>>30990787
>XY suddenly be hidden gems and SM be trash?

SM and XY are games with tons of flaws , but XY had better replayability.
>>
>>30990787
I unironically like XY. They're not the best, but they aren't bad.
People who hate Lysandre are retards who didn't read the plot and don't understand metaphors.
>>
>>30991004
Lysandre's motives don't even make sense. His team is at odds with his own goals.

He wants to keep the world beautiful rather than see it degenerate over time but what happens when you blow shit up? Welcome to the wasteland moron.
>>
>>30991180
You do know what he meant by "beautiful world" right? It doesn't have anything to do with fashion or shit like literally everyone says.
Also, wow, the Grunts misinterpreting the leader's goal. More news at 11.
>>
>>30990934
>Not even nostalgia goggles can save it.
Not even GF could save it.
>>
>>30990396
this
I tried Platinum after finishing HGSS and found it kind of boring, it had none of the comfy atmosphere but all of the other things I didn't like.

The Pokétch was a good idea though, I wish Gen 8 would include something like a smartphone or PDA with the same app-driven model.
>>
>>30990625
He's not even correct anyway. HGSS is probably more popular but Platinum is also well liked.
>>
>>30990758
>movement speed still slow
>extremely noticeable "hiccups" when moving between the invisible town/route borders still there
>text speed still slow even on the fast setting
>battle speed still crippingly slow
>region still a complete chore to navigate around
>super contests still shit
>still takes for fucking ever to save your game if you so much as catch a pokemon or even take a glimpse at at pc
>the much hyped up distortion world is a one and done in 2 minutes event
>expanded regional dex still severely lacking in fire types
>scrolling through your bag still takes ages
>>
The only thing i didnt like about platinum was that you didnt get the battle cheren or dawn. Cheren was a cocky fuck though. Refreshing the Vs seeker and my pokes are GOAT.
>>
>>30990508
>I thought that was the generation poll and that the second poll pretty much confirmed that HGSS holds up gen 4 rather than Platinum.
Platinum still got second place though, slightly more votes than BW2.
>>
>>30991265
Whatever "beautiful world" was supposed to mean, I doubt a post apocalyptic wasteland fits it.
>>
>>30989228
SM. It's actually even worse than DP and RS, but all the "story" made people like it more.
>>
File: 290px-Trainer_Tower_FRLG.png (26KB, 290x97px) Image search: [Google]
290px-Trainer_Tower_FRLG.png
26KB, 290x97px
>>30990528
Not him but you're wrong
>>
>>30991842
battle tower for ants
>>
>>30991842
>trainer tower
Not the battle tower. How can so many people be this stupid?
>>
>>30990630
>comfy
God I'm sick of this "argument". Comfy is my dick in your ass.
>>
>>30993122
oh, anon, tell me more~
>>
File: 1480520033800.jpg (43KB, 632x469px) Image search: [Google]
1480520033800.jpg
43KB, 632x469px
>>30990639

>Kanto
>Johto
>well-designed
>>
File: 1480583307473.jpg (68KB, 562x600px) Image search: [Google]
1480583307473.jpg
68KB, 562x600px
>>30990661

>personal bias: the argument

And this is why these discussion never yield anything, because it turns out faggots like you aren't arguing anything objective, but for some reason the argument was presented as if it was.
>>
>>30990787
Stop forcing the Zelda Cycle on Pokemon
>>
>>30993184
>>30990687
Johto is much better designed than Sinnoh
>>
>>30990396

Tbh people just loved HGSS's follower-system and having 1.5 regions for extra content.

Platinum was a superior game overall imo, although the additional content route-wise would deifnitely favor HGSS. The follower system was very cute for immersion but had absolutely no depth and really didn't mean anything.

Also having a Gyarados/Onix be as tall as your 10-12 year old protag. wew lad
>>
>>30993254
Adding desu to your assumption doesn't male it true
>>
>>30991483
>movement speed still slow
It's the same as any game bar the surfing speed, are you retarded?
>>
>>30990340
Why are you so hostile?
spic
>>
>>30990787

SM will only be trash if a game takes it's concept and does it better

If they revert back to gyms or get rid of special powerful Pokémon SM will still be considered good

The entire gimmick of gen 6 is Mega evolutions and they stayed
>>
>>30993242

No it isn't

Hell no it isn't

The only thing wrong with Sinnoh is the swamp
>>
best part of frlg was how godlike the sevii islands were

one of my favorite parts of any pokemon game
>>
>>30994020
No, the overuse of HMs, the fact that you have to cross the map to go to each gym, having to cross mount coronet several times and the generally tedious routes are all problems as well.

Johto has good spacing between each town, a very good ratio of sea to land, and the region is set up compactly in a way that gives you an idea of how the entire region is, as it has the least empty space between locations outside Alola.

Most of the HMs were for optional areas besides Cut. Interesting areas without being too theme park-y.

Johto is a fantastic region design-wise. I dont even hate Sinnoh, it's one of my favourites too, but its certainly not better than Johto.

>>30994031
Agreed
>>
>>30993184
>Hoenn
>well-designed
>>
>>30993210
There is plenty of objective stuff though. Johtobabbies just don't want to go there since they can't take criticism. The level curve is an objective fact.

Platinum also has underground and contests.
>>
>>30994363
The level curve isnt a problem since if you play the game normally your progression will match it.
>>
>>30994472
Johtobabbies say the darndest things. I swear you played a completely different game than everyone else.

Where's this amazingly designed region with level curve that doesn't matter? Where's the great pokemon selection? Cause I'm only finding Sentret and Hoot Hoot.

Argue about any other gen and you can get legitimate dialogue, points for and against, but argue with a Johtobabby and they just say "it doesn't matter" and "x is objectively just better because it is".
>>
File: 1473270738056.png (133KB, 642x288px) Image search: [Google]
1473270738056.png
133KB, 642x288px
>>30994552
Nice try buddy but you're trying too hard there.

Johto did this cool thing where the region was immersive and so you found pokemo in many different locations. Some cool pokemon like Heracross and Fortress were found in trees. You got some pokemon from the bug catching contest or Safari Zone (I got Azumarill before the 5th badge).

Sentret is only found on Route 29 in the day time by the way, so if that's all you're seeing maybe play more of the game
>>
How exactly do people even rate the games? They all play the same. They all have the same exact gameplay. They all essentially function in the same way. Everything else can be seen as subjective - Pokemon design, region design, extraneous features and facilities. Right?

So how do you objectively say one gen is superior to the other? It's not like the gameplay is changing. You're still playing Pokemon.

Genuinely curious, what determines how good a gen is beyond opinion when all games pretty much play the same way?
>>
>>30994702
>Johto did this cool thing where the region was immersive and so you found pokemo in many different locations. Some cool pokemon like Heracross and Fortress were found in trees. You got some pokemon from the bug catching contest or Safari Zone (I got Azumarill before the 5th badge).
WOW
You got me there. I didn't realize Johto was the only games with these things. I guess you're not delusional!

It's not like you get Munchlax from trees, or Carnivine and Skorupi from Safari Zone. And I guess Platinum isn't as immersive as Johto just because, am I right?

What the fuck is this shit?
>>
>>30994705
none of it is objective
>>
File: 51WFQHP8TNL.jpg (36KB, 314x475px) Image search: [Google]
51WFQHP8TNL.jpg
36KB, 314x475px
>>30994819
I never said other regions dont have these things, you literally just said Johto is the only one that doesnt though
>>
>>30994705
What are you expecting from a board whose average user's best "argument" is a greentexted list of shit he doesn't like without providing any explanation in the first place?
>>
>>30994852
>you literally just said Johto is the only one that doesnt though
Not just playing a different game, you're also reading a different thread too. Nice delusions.
>>
>>30994900
I'll make a new thread and see what people think then.
>>
>>30994705
I think what sets them apart is the actual experience in the regions, the routes, cities, characters, the Pokemon seen there and whatnot. A trip through Hoenn can be a fairly different experience from Unova as the former is more tropical and features a lot of sea routes while Unova is a lot more urban and rural by comparison, it's all up to preference and how the routes are handled.
>>
>>30994705
>It's not like the gameplay is changing.
Yes you catch pokemon and press A to attack in each one. However the flow and structure of each game is very different. Roadblocks, detours, unexpected challenges, things like those are certainly not the same in each region.

Plus gameplay refinements, largely in the QoL areas. Compare exp bar speeds in Gen 4 against Gen 5's. It ain't pretty in the former, that's for sure. Or dealing with PC's in Gen 1 vs Gen 7.
>>
>>30994904
>>
>>30989228
>but what about the ones that are just kind of sitting in the middle?

Because there's literally no reason to talk about Diamond and Pearl.
>>
>>30989444
>I remember gen 4 being better than this.
Nope, that's about right. Wait until you go through the mountain again and BRONZONGS FOR YEARS!

And yeah, Looker was hideously badly written in that game. The whole translation in general was pretty bad, they took too many creative liberties.
>>
>>30995108
>Diamond and Pearl
>middle
No, those are sitting right at the bottom of the barrel alongside XY.
>>
>>30994702
Wait, hold up. Azumarill is gen 2? I always thought it was a gen 3 evolution.
>>
>>30995191
Yes, and Slugma and Skarmory are gen2 Pokemon. You wouldn't know because they put all these mons out of the way and made them unusable thanks to the terrible level curve anyway.
>>
>>30995191
Azurill is Gen 3.

Azumarill was always Gen 2.
>>
>>30995136
and Ruby and Sapphire
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.