[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cold Areas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

File: Cold Areas.png (1MB, 1571x1742px) Image search: [Google]
Cold Areas.png
1MB, 1571x1742px
I was actually really disappointed in Mount Lanakila.

On the official map, it looked like it was gonna be a long and awesome snow route, but in the end it was just some dead tall grass, straight path Victory Road and then the League entrance.

Also, never noticed until I was making this image, Shoal Cave looks like fucking shit, how could they fuck up the ORAS tiles this bad?
>>
>>30973193
Also I suppose Cold Storage should also be here.
>>
I was pissed too, I thought TWO Ice-type Alola forms announced early on meant we'd have a major cold area like Sinnoh had.
>>
>>30974872
>>30974872
Exactly. And people posting the pictures of all the hawaii observatories surrounded by snow only hyped me further. What a waste
>>
File: 27-09-2015.jpg (332KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
27-09-2015.jpg
332KB, 1920x1080px
>>30975609
They separated and moved some locations for the sake of differentiating the overworld. Mt. Lanakila and Mt. Hokulani both take inspiration from the same mountain. The one with the snow and the observatories. Hokulani is the summit along with the observatories while it's just cold and not with snowfall. Lanakila added the league so no observatories, but it kept the snowfall and the brown grass and rocky, treeless terrain from the Mauna Kea Ice Age Preserve.
Shame that they didn't do more. Here's to hoping for better if they make a sequel/ remake.
>>
>>30973193
>I was actually really disappointed in Mount Lanakila.
It's literally right next to a desert.
>>
>>30975852
I dont see much space for things to change in any revisit honestly. I suppose they could add a section between the base and summit.

Then again, they did redesign Mt Silver completely, and it looks like one of the best places in the image aesthetically.

but that was back when the location was much more abstract in Gen 2. I dont see Lanakila changing much in a sequel/remake
>>
>>30975983
D-do you not know how biomes work?
The game is based around the hawaiian islands- places where jungle / desert / mountains / volcanos / bogs / hilly grasslands are ALL RIGHT THE FUCK NEXT TO EACH OTHER.
>>
File: Frontier_Access_HGSS.png (53KB, 424x394px) Image search: [Google]
Frontier_Access_HGSS.png
53KB, 424x394px
>>30975983
you know air gets cold when you're high up right?

Plus Pokemon geography is always dumb. They took the Jungles of the Battle Zone and placed it right next to Olivine CIty
>>
I wish Crabrawler evolved with an Ice Stone instead of waiting until the end of the game. He would've been way more fun to use if you could've accessed his final evolution sooner. His starts are nowhere need broken and also waiting so long to get both Alolan Vulpix/Sandshrew is bullshit.
>>
>>30976046
You know you can find Vulpix and Sandshrew in the grass near the Poke Center down in Tapu Village, right?
>>
>>30976046
he needs the Ice Rock to evolve?
>>
File: Big island biomes.jpg (38KB, 554x400px) Image search: [Google]
Big island biomes.jpg
38KB, 554x400px
>>30975991
I hear you, but there are a few things they missed up there. I really hope they pull a bw2 or a mount silver. Just say the lift broke, Blush Mountain erupted, or force the player to enter from another direction. Then again, I shouldn't expect much or anything at all based on wishing. I know they wouldn't make things so specifically.
>>30976028
>>30976044
They really were weird with what they did. Hokulani is where the mountain actually is.
Lanakila is the slightly shorter mountain that doesn't get as much attention.
Blush mountain is the super active shield volcano that came from Lanakila, yet it only has a geothermal power plant.
Wela volcano park isn't even really active in real life. Most people don't even know it's still active. It's mostly funky looking Alpine Desert.
Paniola town isn't exactly set in stone, but it should be on the Ula Ula. That's where the super huge cattle ranch is. Every island has ranches though.
>>
>>30976283
The just mashed up Maui and the Big Island into each other- as 90% of what you said is found on the Big Island.
There are no active volcanoes on Maui, but Kīlauea has been active again for a few years now.

Houkulani = Mauna Kea (has the observitories)

Lanakila = Mauna Loa (like you said- not much of shit besides the two offshoot mountains)

Blush Mountain is located where volcano national park is IRL, but is actually a better representation of Hualālai (which is to the west of the biggest two mountains (Also- the desert should be on the leeward side, not the windward side (it's also on the wrong side of the mountains))).

Wela = Haleakalā, but it isn't active the way Kīlauea has been the last few years.

I also concur that Paniola should be Waimea, but, again- if they'd stuck all that stuff onto the big island, then maui would have had fucking nothing.

Also; Personal opinion, but- I think that Po town should have been where the desert currently sits... That's roughly the location of Puna IRL, which is a tweaker-infested-shithole. Would have fit way better. But I really like the little town of Hawi (which is located where Po sits, currently).

Thanks anyone who listened to my rant- It's good to see some other people talking about the comparisons to the real islands.

Source: Born and Raised on the Big Island~
>>
>>30976283
If BW2 is anything to go by they probably would, just so we get a different Victory Road. The lift breaking or entering from another side are good ideas.

But honestly this is neo GameFreak and I dont have much confidence in them anymore, overworld-wise. It's a wonder Alola ended up alright, but it's still pretty flawed for me

They did the mountains pretty weird, huh. To be fair, Paniola Town isnt very large either.
>>
File: 1476372035779.jpg (78KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1476372035779.jpg
78KB, 700x700px
>>30976444
OP here, it was a good read
>>
>>30973193
Sinnoh>Unova>Johto>>Sevii>Kalos>Kanto>>Alola
>>
File: All smiles.jpg (11KB, 379x451px) Image search: [Google]
All smiles.jpg
11KB, 379x451px
>>30976444
Thanks for clarifying.
>>
File: IMG_2374.png (157KB, 536x303px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2374.png
157KB, 536x303px
>>30976444
I love posts like yours, thanks anon
>>
>>30973193
Obviously Sinnoh wins with the amount of wintery places and the climat in general

Then Kalos if only for Snowbelle (you also forgot sometimes its snowing in Dendemille and Anistar) but the cave is also pretty great

Then Unova

Then everything else
>>
>>30973297
The entire region should be there because of unova's winter season.
Which should be this month if I remember right.
>>
File: desert.png (503KB, 1350x501px) Image search: [Google]
desert.png
503KB, 1350x501px
>>30973193
Desert >>>>>>>>> Snow
>>
>>30976501
>>30976707
>>30976788
D'aww.
Thanks, anons~
>>
>>30976839
>Obviously Sinnoh wins with the amount of wintery places and the climat in general
Winter Unova says hi.
>>
>>30976444
Today, trips weren't wasted.
>>
File: snorunt.jpg (34KB, 500x312px) Image search: [Google]
snorunt.jpg
34KB, 500x312px
>>30976444
Any tips for a fellow anon about to live in Oahu for two months?
>>
>>30976926
Even though 5 gen is my favourite gen i had to give Sinnoh having better winter. Routes 216 and 217 and Mt Coronet feel more natural, wild and "real" with the storming Blizzard etc

And Kalos' Snowbelle city easily wins for the best Winter City of the series (so far) because of what incredible feel it has
>>
>>30976960
Holy Shit, I got trips?!
I think that's the first time that's ever happened... What do I do? I'm already posting rants...

>>30977008
Kinda depends on where you're staying / what the stay is for.
Downtown Honolulu fucking SUCKS during rush hours cause it's so damn crowded. Outlying areas are okay- but as Oahu is pretty much the go-to place for Hawaii vacationers (who don't go to maui), make sure you do any tourist-y things on a weekday (and stay the FUCK off waikiki during the weekends, holy shit I can't stress this enough). If it's your first time, though- definitely pick and choose which tourist-y things you ARE interested in, and plan / call ahead for them- cause you might get fucked over by a visiting group of thirty korean tour buses or some other unforseen bullshit.

Also: track down W & M burger while you're on the island. Best (shitty, cheap, hole in the wall) burgers you'll ever eat. Zippy's is fantastic, too.
(source: my dad grew up on papu circle (south east of diamond head there's a little peninsula right on the water- kupikipikio point)).
>>
>>30977145
I'm staying for an internship. I'm going to be living in Waikiki, so what's the issue with that?
>>
>>30977442
Crowds.
Maybe it comes from growing up on an island where the entire island's population would only fill about 10% of manhatten- but I absolutely hate big crowds / cities in general. It's even worse when they're all tourists / all trying to capture the same picture of the same landscape that it is almost impossible to actually take a good picture of.
If you're more of a city bloke, then you can probably dismiss everything I said re: crowds.
And when I mentioned Waikiki- i meant the beachfront, specifically. It gets freaking NUTS on the weekends. Though if the two months you're spending there is sooner rather than later, then it shouldn't be quite as bad (worst tourist times are mid summer and mid winter).

And neat- internship for whom?
>>
>>30976861
Yes, but not every route got snow in winter.
>>
>>30977028
Why the fuck couldn't Mount Lanakila be more like coronet. At least it felt like I was actually scaling something impressive.
>>
>>30976879
>no grass, entire floor acts like encounter zone
>wandering rustling sand encounters
>sandstorm the entire time
>confusing layout with looping gates
No. Fuck you. The sooner I can forget about Haina Desert, the better. And don't even get me STARTED on the shitshow that is Kalos route 13.
Desert routes a shit.
A SHIT.
>>
>>30976879
I'd say Unova did it the best, Hoenn introduced it and had some neat locals, Sinnoh for third, Haina for fourth, and Kalos dead last.
>>
>>30976678
Switch Kanto and Kalos and you got it.
Kanto is at least iconic and a first try, Kalos is just bad despite the years of experience.

Also, Hoenn where?
>>
>>30977541
Thanks for the info, mate. I was hoping to do some good swimming off Waikiki beach, but maybe I'll stick to primarily after work. It's a decent-sized office that does ship-related computational fluid dynamics projects that I'll be working for.
>>
>>30973193
>>30974872
>snow
>in a tropical region
>>
Iccirus and snowpoint look very comfy
>>
I think Sinnoh and Kalos have the best snow areas. They really felt cold and intense. Mt Lanakila could have been awesome, but it was so brief. It if had lasted a bit longer, I would have loved it. The music is so good. Playing through Unova in winter too, but there are few dedicated snow areas otherwise.

Honestly, I'd love a game with more snow areas scattered around the game, especially earlier on. I'm kind of sick of desert areas, mainly after that lame desert in SM. I loved the Hoenn and Unova ones, but the others just kind of suck.

I think it's time for a really cold region next game instead of another hot or tropical area.
>>
>>30973193
>Shoal Cave looks like fucking shit

What? You thought people were kidding when they said that the GBA games had better graphics? That's a common fact by now
>>
>>30976046
Honestly Crabrawler/Crabominable isn't fun to play with no matter the playthrough because it's slow and frail with a giant attack stat, and you don't get Trick Room until postgame. The only time mine ever made a showing for me was when the opponent was being dumb and spamming Psych Up or some shit.
>>
>>30976879
Desert resort is undeniably the best. In fact its ome of the best areas in pokemon, tons of awesome pokemon to find, the ruins and music
>>
>>30978800
And it's completely optional at first. It's just there for your enjoyment.

Gotta thank the good Doctor there for making the exploration go smoothly, though.
>>
>>30976879
Unova > hoenn > Alola > Sinnoh >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> kalos

I don't know how they did it, but they managed to create the WORST route ever
>>
>>30978783
>A cold region based on a scandinavian country or Canada
I'm all up for this, but I could do without DP's lack of fire types
>>
>>30978812
I think thats what so surprising, such a good early game area made completely optional, even though its way worth the time of anyone to go there.
>>
File: IMG_20161218_043105.jpg (133KB, 640x614px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161218_043105.jpg
133KB, 640x614px
>>30976879
>Route 13

Its not only the worst designed route in pokemon, its also home to the biggest amount of dissapointment regarding unfinished areas
>>
>>30973193
>Shoal Cave looks like fucking shit
Shoal Cave looks more GOAT than any of the previous "ice caves" we've ever had. Shoal Cave actually looks frozen, and not just covered in a small layer pf snow.
>>
>>30977145
Is there anything good about living in Hawaii? It seems really nice, but I'm going into biotech and I don't think there's any way I can get employment in that that justifies living there
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.