[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hoenn Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10

File: pokemon-emerald-version.png (307KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon-emerald-version.png
307KB, 720x480px
In this thread I listen to you discuss Hoenn.

Ruby was my first proper Pokémon game, I played Yellow but I never finished it or gave much or a shit until Ruby. Hoenn is my favourite for obvious nostalgia related reasons, but ORAS sucked ass so hard I have a hard time actually pinpointing what's wrong with Hoenn, and I know it has its faults.

What are the objective flaws in Generation 3? I have no Gen 1 or Gen 2 experience to compare it to, so I don't know what's missing or what changed for the worse.
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 572x399px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 572x399px
>>30926078
I want to fuck Latiass.
>>
>>30926087
Also acceptable posting behaviour.
>>
>>30926078
I started with Red back when Pokemania was going crazy but my favorite's still Hoenn even if ORAS was bad.

ORAS' issues aren't really related to the region though, they're more because of how fucking stupid gen 6 in general was.

The only objective flaw I think is that the teams are kind of retarded but that's present in most games anyway. The most down to earth villains are Team Rocket and even then it's just a bunch of mooks following Giovanni.
>>
>>30926078
>What are the objective flaws in Generation 3?
That's a good question.
Maybe the sheen mechanic and the dumbass Blender AIs.
>>
>>30926078
>>30926159
I'm actually suprised that I can't find any flaws right now.
>>
>>30926078
Gen 3 graphics have for the most part not aged well
>>
>>30926363
Dunno man, I quite like them, always have.

What I don't like the most is the music. I'm a massive soundtrack nerd and while gen 3 was incredibly memorable there was nothing remarkable about it. All the themes are too similar, they all start with the classic opening as well, something sun and moon really did away with.

Not nearly as bad as X&Y's soundtrack, which was absolute fucking dogshit.
>>
>>30926363
I wouldn't say that's objective especially since it's still the only full 60fps pokemon game
>>
>>30926431
You think Deoxys theme is bad? That's a new and rare one.

>>30926436
What are fps and why is that important?
>>
>>30926078
No Day/Night Cycle
Lack of trading over old Pokemon ( I know there were limitations in the game engine but that still pissed me off)
Contests were meh
Feebas was impossible to get
A LOT of HM's. (And to a lesser extent, the two bike mechanic made some areas annoying that you had to go back to)
The Battle Frontier was gimmicky as hell
The Regi puzzle sucked. (Braille? Really?)
Uhhh, think I got most of them. Most of these are nitpicks.
>>
File: 1480732775538.jpg (47KB, 487x432px) Image search: [Google]
1480732775538.jpg
47KB, 487x432px
>>30926363
but it runs like butter
>when you get the mach bike and you're peddling at 60 fps
bike simulator never felt so fantastic
>>
>>30926465
>I know there were limitations in the game engine
No you don't.
There were no limitations game engine wise but rather hardware wise.

The issue was with how the GB/C linked up. It basically sent information one at a time. So say a bulbasaur would be sent to another system and once that was done the charmander from that system would go to the first system.
With the GBA everything occurred simultaneously. So the Bulbasaur and Charmander would appear on the systems at the same time.

And yes, those are subjective nitpicks.
>>
>>30926431
>Not nearly as bad as X&Y's soundtrack, which was absolute fucking dogshit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFT_B06qKdk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tlDYJaCO8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFT_B06qKdk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zIMgjDOuew
It had some good ones
>>
>>30926465
>the regi puzzle sucked
Nigger I will fight you
>>
>>30926465
>Feebas was impossible to get
No just a pain in the ass.
>>
Proud to be a hoennbaby

Sapphire holds so many childhood memories for me

>>30926522

Fuck off kalosperm, that last music triggers my PTSD
>>
>>30926551
What was it, 6 random tiles in the whole game that change on every playthrough, and even then it still has only like a 5% chance to appear on a tile? So actually finding one to play with was a fucking aneurysm in the making.
>>
>>30926460
frames per second. The more frames, the smoother the game plays. Most Pokemon games are locked at 30 fps (and sun and moon struggles with that at times) while RSE play at 60 fps. Doesn't really mean much in an RPG except what >>30926500 said when you're going ridiculously fast on the mach bike. There's no real reason to have it at 60 fps and that's a good reason why the graphics haven't aged well. Could also be the reason why the cries are muffled and the soundfont is so weird with the trumpets.
>>
>>30926572
Is there a reason you're shitposting
>>
>>30926518
Yeah that is what I meant, issues with how the games ran.
>>30926540
Okay, I assume you must be the only blind person on /vp/ to like the damn thing. I caould take on a blind man
>>30926551
If someone had told me how to get Feebas, i would not believe him.
"Yeah he only appears in six spots on one route and these spots are determined by the pass phrase you give them in Dewford"
It sounds like something a person says if their uncle works at Nintendo honestly. I suppose impossible is a stretch, but it's less unlikely then a shiny to get it, so eh.
>>
>>30926619
>There's no real reason to have it at 60 fps and that's a good reason why the graphics haven't aged well. Could also be the reason why the cries are muffled and the soundfont is so weird with the trumpets.
You realise that these things have nothing to do with each other right?
The sound in particular was due to what the GBA was capable of.
>>
>>30926644
How do you not like the regi puzzle? Fuck, the key to it was in the manual. It's probably the best thing you unlock in the entire series and really rewards you for paying attention and exploring the region.
>>
The worst thing about 3rd gen is ORAS. Not even kidding. The 3rd gen games were the best. Even the spinoffs were top-tier in quality. Try and tell me you didn't cry bitch tears at the end of the first PMD.
>>
Mon variety was mediocre. Zigzagoon and Wingull were placed everywhere in the region, while mons like Tropius, Vulpix, Shroomish, Jigglypuff, Seviper and Natu were all contained in one or two routes. Water routes only having 5 wild slots also gave the ocean no variety, and you were stuck encountering nothing but Tentacool and Wingull's lines there. Trainers' mons were also mediocre, with the evil teams using overleveled Poochyena instead of actual water types like Sealeo, Seadra and Huntail.
Emerald "fixed" the wild Pokemon problem by replacing half the wild Zigzagoon with Poochyena, but still didn't bother to remove Team Aqua/Magma's Poochyena with more fitting mons, and removed some wild mons entirely like Roselia.

Berry blending sucked, and some time-based events are gone once the battery dies, meaning you will never get a Snorunt if it dies at the wrong time.
>>
File: banette.png (580B, 64x64px)
banette.png
580B, 64x64px
>>30926363
The overworld looks fine, as do the trainer sprites. Some of the pokemon sprites are atrocious though, pic very related.
>>30926465
>>30926644
>not liking the regi puzzles
Fuck you, they were fantastically cryptic.
>>
I'd say that a huge portion of the region being barren water routes with little to find via surfing (literally Wingull, Pelipper, and Tentacool, with a 1% chance of Wailmer on Route 129). I always hear "Just use Repel", but you shouldn't have to remove the key gameplay mechanic of a game for half the routes just to make it bearable.
>>
>>30926078
you can't buy ethers, or revives early on, so if you want to play without the pokemon center you can't. the environments while varied in kind actually use the same tiles quite often. HMs are a device that connects your pokemon to the world but otherwise become boring and/or tedious very quickly. Pokemon that swim should be able to swim, those with claws being free to cut without an HM. The trainers have poor AI and unless your pokemon are similar in level there is very little challenge or risk. Also, I would like if there were no generic classes but rather unique trainers that move around and develop their teams and their relationship with the player, living in the cities at night and having their own involvement with the story.

Gamefreak want you to form an attachment with your pokemon but its hard to when they're stuck as mid-iv trash forever. on the other hand i think the variations in a pokemon are for depth and anyway they don't really expect you to hunt for perfect pokemon. that's why finding rare pokemon is painful: it's supposed to be fortuitous, not calculated, that you run across skarmory on rote 113. i don't think gf wanted players to run around in the grass except to get from town to town. at least, you don't have to. the game features a strong variety of favourites and underused pokemon and you can train basically whatever you like. there's an abundance of trainers that you can ignore and fight later with new, underleveled pokemon. also secret bases, the pokenav, contests, and the battle frontier add meaningful depth to the game. i think these things could have been implemented a little less awkwardly but i'm happy to have them. the game doesn't hold your hand or get bogged down in story, and really does feel like its about the pokemon first and foremost. it's also the fastest game with an unflinching 60 fps.
>>
>>30926825
I mean, encountering wild Pokemon is a thing for every game in the series. If it annoys you just use a Repel. It's what they're for.
>>
>>30926840
>you can't buy ethers, or revives early on, so if you want to play without the pokemon center you can't.
That applies to literally every game.
>>
>>30926840
>>30926860
Have you ever been able to buy Revives/Ethers early on?
>>
>>30926522
They're all a bit flat and dull
>>
>>30926883
no. in fact i don't think any game allows you to buy ethers
>>
>>30926883
No.
No game even lets you purchase Ethers.

With that said, RSE was the game to introduce the Leppa berry.
>>
>>30926825
Also, I dislike the overworld graphics. They leave nothing to the imagination but manage to be really generic at the same time. The rocky wall/mountain tileset bores me to tears and it's everywhere. The addition of 3D and perspective changes in Gen IV helped it stand out more to me. In Gen I and II, I think that the primitive graphics actually leave a lot to the imagination and makes unique graphics and tilesets like the truck near the S.S. Anne and the National Park stand out really well.

As for characters, your rival gives up after Lilycove and you never see the final evolution of their starter. Team Magma and Aqua are also stupid beyond belief.
>>
>>30926965
>Team Magma and Aqua are also stupid beyond belief.
Only Aqua is.
>>
>>30926465
The trading was so fucking bullshit, at least Emerald had a decent selection of avaliable pokemon

If you're playing Ruby you can use Nuzleaf, he covers half of the obligatory TMs in the game, them you can either get dedicated dive/waterfall and fly mons or train a dragonite to use all four moves. And lets be honest here, Hoenn's situation was still better than Sinnoh's Defog and Rock climb bullshit

Battle frontier was alright but the RNG crap made getting the golden symbols a pain in the ass, they could have at least given the player three strikes in case of he having bad luck and going against some pokemon with OHKO moves
>>
>>30926850
My point is that 16 water routes is like 16 caves. Every tile is a potential encounter. I don't have to use repels on grass routes because grass is scattered in patches and battling is generally kept to a minimum. But there is no relief on the water routes other than the occasional sandbar.
>>
>>30926965
>The rocky wall/mountain

Out of all the shit to complain about and this is what you choose. That's stupidly insignificant.
>>
File: 1481400803270.jpg (234KB, 640x720px)
1481400803270.jpg
234KB, 640x720px
>>30926998
>Let's flood the world
>Why?
>...
>>
>>30927031
>Maxie wanted to help land dwellers by doing something legitimately useful
>Archie wanted complete anarchy for no reason
>>
>>30927031
my friends always just say like "who gives a shit they're retarded pirates" and that helps me understand them a little better
>>
File: wrassle it.jpg (108KB, 600x740px)
wrassle it.jpg
108KB, 600x740px
>>30927031
>implying he didn't just wanna wrassle with an orca whale
>>
Hoenn and RSE are great. However, most of their fans, that hate ORAS just because it isn´t a carbon copy of RSE, are really dumb.
>>
>>30927072
No no we hate it like this:

>HG:SS
>Same game with even more shit
>OR:AS
>Somehow less content than Emerald
>>
>>30927009
Any game where there are 5-8 HMs requires two HM slaves, so I never really got the hate for Sinnoh having 8 HMs when you need just as many HM slaves in every other game. I know that in Platinum, you could get Tropius and Gyarados to cover everything, but I'm not sure about all the other games.
>>
>>30927092
You do realize that:
a) It is much easier to top Crystal, than Emerald
b) ORAS has more content than HGSS in every department, aside of the Battle Frontier vs Battle Maison
c) ORAS are RS remakes

...right?
>>
>>30927109
>so I never really got the hate for Sinnoh having 8 HMs when you need just as many HM slaves in every other game.
Because unlike the other games it's a near constant presence.
>>
>>30927092
What was missing from ORAS that was in Emerald, besides Battle frontier?
>>
Listen, born in 96, I've grown up with this series.
Hoenn, coming at some of my best years to get nostalgiaboners for, always was... lukewarm to me. When X/Y came out, I actually debated Kalos or Hoenn being the #4/6 region. OR/AS HARD cemented it as #4, Kalos at 5. Which... isn't to say now that it's bad. It's just felt... average, and a bit underwhelming. Kanto, Johto, Unova, and Alola have hit me harder.
If I had to really dig into the problems of Hoenn, trying to group it to "when it was introuced."

R/S
Sceptile was horribly outclassed despite me loving it most in design.
So much of the last like 25-30% of the game are huge, empty sea routes with swimmers/fishermen who use the same pool of 10 or so pokemon.
Everything else is grunt fighting and one of the more infuriating Victory Roads.
Despite this, most of the new water type Pokemon which you basically need to carry two water type HMs are bad.
Contests are the worst thing to be introduced into the main line games.
Stupid villain leaders.
Altaria's existance.
Torkoal being the only fire-type besides
Blaziken introduced besides Groudon.
Feebas's encounter method.
Berry blending's AI companions. I loved the minigame otherwise.

Emerald
Scott's obnoxiousness for being a shoe-horned in character is only beaten by Mr. Medal
Fuck Wallace as the only Champion worse than Diantha.
Battle Frontier's raw stupidity. I know postgame ultraboners but christ you have the bullshit of Battle Subway, Maison, or Tree that you funnel through gimmicks across about a half-dozen facilities.

OR/AS:
Should've been better balanced to the EXP-share.
Wish more megas and cross-gen evos were possible before postgame.
Mega Lopunny, Altaria, and Audino existing.
>>
>>30927157
Not him but
>Trainer Tower
>Mirage Tower
Which admittedly wasn't a big loss
>Desert Underpass
See above
>Gym Leader rematches
That's about everything worth noting.
>>
>>30927109
Spheal covers Rock Smash, Waterfall, Dive, and Strength. You can use Surf on your watermon if you have one. Fly can be used on your flymon (again, if you have one).

Cut is only for optional places, I think.
>>
>>30927183
They also made it easier

Never forget May 2 on Route 110. Mudkip users left for dead.
>>
>>30927157
Dewford Cave had its layout modified for an exposition dump. It also locked you out of Sableye/Mawile until you get to Mauville.

Sky Pillar was also pretty much scrubbed clean in exchange for an exposition dump.
>>
File: 1482036120086.png (89KB, 259x335px)
1482036120086.png
89KB, 259x335px
>>30927109
I just used Swampert for most of them (Surf, Waterfall, Strength, Dive) those were the only ones you really needed to begin with. Looking back, yeah HMs were pretty fucking terrible (except waterfall which I still use with Swampert to this day) and i'm glad gen VII got rid of them...for now
>>
>>30927209
Eh, technically ORAS is "harder" than Emerald.
>>
>>30927177
>Listen, born in 96, I've grown up with this series.
fucking kek
Nah, you didn't grow up with the series. You grew up after Pokemania died.
>>
Swampert is goat. Every rom hack i play i always hack to get mudkip because i like having him on my team. Emerald i played before ruby or sapphire. I liked the fact that maxie realized the err of his ways before archie. The trick house was extremely helpful for getting exp and also the implenentation of that battle toeer like facility that was a litlte away from mauville. Www called trainer tower i think. im gonna download and play again just for nostaliga reasons.
>>
>>30927233
He would have been about 2 or 3 when pokemania hit the west. 4 or 5 when it ended mid gen 2.
>>
>>30927232
Explain

I don't remember it
>>
>>30927183
>>Trainer Tower
DESU, Trainer Tower in Emerald is just a (nerfed) copy of FRLG´s Trainer Tower, that was introduced earlier that year. Just like how ORAS added XY´s Battle Institute.
>>
>>30927311
Not him, but megas and some tweaked levels after the first half of the game are potentially harder than some of Emerald's battles.

But that's pretty irrelevant given that you're given broken shit as well.
>>
>>30927329
>Trainer Tower in Emerald is just a (nerfed) copy of FRLG´s Trainer Tower
They're the same thing.
>>
>>30927330
Yeah, that's what I was thinking
>>
File: 1478435232184.png (694KB, 768x576px)
1478435232184.png
694KB, 768x576px
>>30927220
>Swampert HM slave
christ man one of the most OP Pokemon in the game and you used him for fucking HMs
>>
File: 1421601732308.png (263KB, 484x468px)
1421601732308.png
263KB, 484x468px
>>30927109
Bibarels help a lot but even with two of them you will still need a flying type for fly and defog and (optionally) an electric for flash, another problem with the bibarels is distributing the moves, in Hoenn you can use Nuzleaf for all the non surf related moves which is wonderful because you will never need to use strength or rock smash while diving or (almost always) surfing, but with Sinnoh you end up needing to bring both slaves because you will end up missing at least one move if you want to explore everything

Here is how i balanced my slaves in platinum:
bibarel1 - Cut/Rock Climb/surf/waterfall
bibarel2 - surf/Rock Climb/rock smash/Strength

One is focused in the overworld while the other is focused in caves, i need to give both of them Rock Climb because the fucking things show up everywhere, waterfall is very occasional but i can't replace it with RS or Strength because i will end up missing the other while exploring a cave, i can't drop 1 because i might find another CUT area between a cave and another town, see what i mean?

This is different from Hoenn where all you needed was two slaves and that's it, there were only three areas in the game (two being optional) where you used waterfall and dive was only required in the ocean so you could just get a third slave, teach the moves, box it and bring it whenever you felt like exploring these areas
>>
>>30927177
Adding onto this.
I actually forgot how underwhelming the lack of gym leader refights actually was.
And how bullshit Granite Cave's redesign fucked me out of my Mawile until I got to Mauville.
>>
>>30927340
Not really. Emerald´s Trainer Tower (actually called Trainer Hill) has only double battles, and also has LESS floors to challenge.
FRLG´s Trainer Tower has Single Double and Mixed modes, and more floors (7 dloors iirc).

Also, my point was that Emerald´s Trainer Hill is not an Emerald feature per se, so much as just a Gen III feature that Emerald benefited from, just like how ORAS benefits from XY Battle Institute.

My point is that Trainer Hill is not something that ORAS should have had, as it is not really a Hoenn feature.
>>
>>30927378
I might be wrong but you don't even need CUT after Lillycove, so by them all you really need is a mon that can use surf, fly, RS and strength
>>
>>30926431
>>30926522
>>30926895
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvpdqiROrQg&t=586s

I CAN CONQUER THE WORLD

Team Flare also has a fucking cool theme.
>>
>>30927360
I was a stupid lazy kid anon, I also overleveled the shit out of it while the rest of my pokemon were underleveled. Won the elite four with like a lv 80 swampert, a taillow, a zigzagoon, a shroomish, a numel, and a Kyogre caught in a master ball.
>>
>>30927486
Not gonna lie to you, Flare and Lysandre are great themes because they're like other Pokémon games. Listen to the Gym leader or Pokemon trainer themes, that's where everything is shit.

Sounds too flat. THIS that you just posted however is absolutely lit, thanks for posting it.
>>
>>30926965
you may appreciate that I'm making a hack that varies the graphics. there's about 10 different outdoor tilesets so far including new caledonian beach, alpine snowfields, manroves, fern rainforest, grassy slopes. i removed a lot of caves like fiery path and now every building in a town is unique with its own interior. i'm trying to make the environments cohesive, particularly different water tiles
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.