[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know it's just to appeal to kids with ADHD but does Pokemon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

File: pokemon-z-move-193089-640x320.jpg (54KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon-z-move-193089-640x320.jpg
54KB, 640x320px
I know it's just to appeal to kids with ADHD but does Pokemon really need flashy gimmicks like Z-Moves or Megas? Why can't it just be simple creatures doing reasonably cool things instead of DBZ tier explosions? I feel Pokemon is just losing itself y'know?
>>
File: Corkscrew Crash.jpg (831KB, 890x1202px) Image search: [Google]
Corkscrew Crash.jpg
831KB, 890x1202px
>Not wanting your Bisharp to have the closest thing to a Rider Kick
https://youtu.be/-pDiG1W8MSk?t=12m51s
>>
Personally, I'm not really against them in concept, but I hate how it feels like they're introducing these gimmick concepts to the core gameplay and then just stop working on refining them after the generation ends. To be fair it's literally only been 1 generation since Megas were introduced, I'm just concerned they'll introduce some other gimmick thing to the battles in gen VIII and we end up with this really lopsided clusterfuck where a select few Pokemon have Megas, some have Z moves, etc. If you're going to introduce big game changers like these at least keep working on them, you know?
>>
File: Super Crosslord.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Super Crosslord.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>I feel Pokemon is just losing itself y'know?
Shit like this is how you know OP isn't actually a Pokemon fan, he probably follows the series very loosely and still thinks his opinion matters just as much as someone who's been playing the series as each gen comes out.

Also, explosions are cool as fuck, you're an idiot with no taste.
>>
>>30913468
fuck off you nigger I've bought all the games since BW2 day 1. I've been playing since Yellow.
Shit like your post is how you know someone's a fanboy faggot.
>>
Megas and the concept of Z-Moves are fine, the execution of Z-Moves are shit and besides a small handful of Status ones only really exist to entertain people who like big explosions.
>>
>>30913090

The anime and merchandise are the real moneymakers for this franchise, and stuff like Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves are perfectly suited for anime and merchandise.
>>
File: 1480334455358s.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1480334455358s.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
>>30913090
>I know it's just to appeal to kids with ADHD but does Pokemon really need flashy gimmicks like Z-Moves or Megas?
That's not how ADHD works Anon. ADHD makes you unable to retain information that isn't pertinent to your current task. Rather than being able to hold onto information and recall it later, it's completely deleted, as if it were never there at all. It appears as though people with ADHD a lazy or not paying attention, when really a part of their brain which handles executive functions is missing, it's really terrible, and because it is so over and misdiagnosed in perfectly healthy kids there's a stigma against it, especially in adults, preventing them from recieving adequate care.

Usually people with ADHD excell at video games though. Because video games give immediate feed back, rather than requiring you to hold onto information long term, it's very easy for someone with ADHD to sit and play a video game for hours without even noticing, because it remains 'the task' in their mind, and their brain has conveniently lost all information not related to preforming that task.

If nothing else you learned something today OP.
>>
File: Kamille.gif (658KB, 280x212px) Image search: [Google]
Kamille.gif
658KB, 280x212px
>>30913732
Not OP but I learned something today. Thanks random autist anon!
>>
File: 1475674653116.png (29KB, 270x188px) Image search: [Google]
1475674653116.png
29KB, 270x188px
>>30913090
>I feel Pokemon is just losing itself y'know
They take nothing away from the core gameplay and are just adding new things. You didn't complain when they introduced Blast Burn or cross-gen evolutions, why complain when they just introduced something slightly stronger and slightly different cross-gen evolutions?

Calm your autism.
>>
>>30913732
Oh no i think i actually have adhd. I though i just had shit memory what do i do do i kill myself
>>
>>30913973
Take calm pills, then your life actually gets better. Chill, get diagnosed if you think it is real.
>>
>>30913973
>Get diagnosed
>Sell your medication to college students around finals time for $10/pill
>Buy some cheap ass posted notes and teach yourself to write down literally everything you need to do in a day
>Train yourself to look at your notes frequently so you remember shit
>Spend the rest of your profits on vidya
>>
>>30913090
The new gimmick add to the experience. If they added nothing new it would get boring. Thats why we get a new mechanics each gen
>>
Megas are cool, Z-Moves are shit.
>>
>>30914642
Megas are shit, Z-Moves are more fun
>>
>>30914646
Galvanize doesn't even work with normal type z-moves, and won't even register the moves at all if you try an electric type. Probably works the same for abilities like pixilate too.

Some z-moves actually lower the base damage on your attacks because the game is afraid you are 2 stronk.

Its pretty fucking lame.
Megas are baller as fuck though and actually work the way they are supposed to.
>>
File: 1300044776986.jpg (34KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1300044776986.jpg
34KB, 600x600px
>>30914646
>>
>>30913316
This.
>>
>>30913732
If anything, Z-moves fuck with my ADHD because they take so damn long.
>>
>>30913316
The thing is, z-moves were introduced because they didn't like how mega's had turned out. From what I remember, they are actually very satisfied with how z-moves had turned out, so it could be something that's going to stick around while mega's will be slowly nerfed and forgotten.
>>
>>30915192
The funny thing is they think Megas didn't help any old, useless Pokemon become usable while they think Z-Moves make "every" Pokemon usable.

Also changing how Speed is calculated or whatever actually buffed Megas.
>>
>>30915240
Well, more or less. With TM, you can ensure the z-move can be viable for any Pokemon, abeit at a cost. With Mega, since it's Pokemon-specific, it's either going to be game-breaking or not, and basically forces a cookie-cutter build. Mega's idea basically got thoroughly fucked when they realize they had to give it to Pokemon that didnt need it but had to get one due to how popular they are. You really can't apply that same standard to z-moves since moves don't get merchandise.
>>
>>30915192
That's a lot of speculation there anon.
>>
>>30915389
>you can ensure the z-move can be viable for any Pokemon
No you can't.
Especially since it requires the loss of an item slot without any extra benefit. Using Z-moves is actively weakening yourself.
>>
>>30915425
I remmeber someone posting an interview with someine important in GF that talked about this. Basically, they hated how Mega's had turned out and z-moves was more or less what they had originally imagined Mega's to turn out as.
>>
>>30915447
Right, which is the 'abeit at a cost' line. There's a trade-off as compared to Mega's.
>>
>>30915457
Which means z-moves are essentially useless in most if not all scenarios.
>>
>>30915450
Sauce or BS
>>
>>30915457
That "cost" is a huge detriment to a player anon for a single use attack. Megas on the other hand were both considerably more useful and versatile which is why people used them and still do.

The only thing that failed when it came to megas is the fact that GF didn't make more of them.
>>
>>30915450
>Basically, they hated how Mega's had turned out and z-moves was more or less what they had originally imagined Mega's to turn out as.
>megas, while flawed, were reasonably fun and at least got people excited for their bro to get a buff
>z-moves are complete shit
sometimes i'm glad game freak is incompetent because i fear for what we'd have if they weren't
>>
Whatever happened to that supposed Psyduck Z-Move.
>>
>>30915475
Don't have one since i geneuinely don't remember where it was posted on /vp/. All I remember is that someone had asked posted it, explaining away why there isn't any new Mega in S/M. You're free to say I'm lying but I really did remember reading about it.

>>30915522
Except unless your bro is already one of those exceptional good ones before it got a Mega, he will still get outclassed by them. Mega is fundamentally a good idea, that got derailed in execution when they gave Mega to Pokemon that really didn't need them.
>>
>>30915703
>he will still get outclassed by them
Only if your bro was a shit mon to begin with.

Most megas can be matched with a mon holding an item. There are a few exceptions such as Khan, Ray and Luke.
Other than that megas aren't really over powered
>>
>>30915192
The only thing I ever read was that they didn't make new Megas because they wanted to "focus on Z moves" or some shit like that (which sounds similar to every single excuse they've given in every interview ever, see "ORAS didnt have customization because only French people ever change clothes"). That doesn't really indicate much of anything. Outside of loud contrarians on 4chan Megas were generally well-received and that's reason enough for them to keep making them. Wouldn't be surprised if that's also why they made sure customization made it into SM.
>>
>>30913732
ADD fag here. It's similar for me. People think ADD means you can't pay attention to ANYTHING. Which isn't true. I just really need to be into something(Vidya/Pokemon) to be able to concentrate on it and not lose interest in seconds.

The most fucked up part is people lumping ADHD and ADD together. The two share many similarites, but are different. What's similar is the trouble to remember stuff. I can come home from school, put my keys on the table and literally forget I put them there the moment I turn around and do something else. The biggest difference is the hyperactivity.

It's in fact, the key difference. Someone with ADHD can have trouble sitting still and keeping his energy in check, while someone with ADD will wonder off into his own little world and not notice 3 hours have passed once the "fantasy" ends.

It sort of sucks, since ADHD is easy to detect, but ADD can easily be seen as many things. A child being stupid, or disobedient. Having so many thoughts at once, and a million more sensory inputs from outside can be overwhelming, and sometimes we just can't filter out what's important and what's not, so it looks like we're not listening or ignoring someone.
>>
> ITT: People calling Z-moves failed because Smogon doesn't use them

They are very succesful in VGC. Every team packs at least one Z-move user. The option to pretty much delete one mon of your opponent is devastating in a format where you use 4 mons, with 2 of them on the battlefield.
>>
>>30913090
>he doesn't turn off battle animations
Saves you a lot of time in addition to your autistic hatred of them.
>>
>>30913090
>I feel Pokemon is just losing itself
Very few will agree with you, but I know exactly what you mean.
Nowadays it seems like GF is obsessed with keeping the attention of the kids/young generations, and they've started to do things that they avoided in the past but many other franchises did for years.
In my opinion they're losing part of what differentiated them from the rest. It's been interesting for now though.
>>
>>30915842
>Only if your bro was a shit mon to begin with
Isnt that the original point of Mega in the first place? To make shit mons not shit?
>>
>>30916018
adhd and add are the same condition, you have no idea what you're talking about.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.