[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your opinion on Hoenn's geography?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 3

File: HoennIIIE.png (216KB, 500x325px) Image search: [Google]
HoennIIIE.png
216KB, 500x325px
What is your opinion on Hoenn's geography?
>>
I think it's neat.
>>
too much water
>>
>>30897005
5/7 perfect
>>
It's good and every area makes sense within the geography of the region.

Unlike X/Y or B/W which both had areas that didn't make much sense within the game.
>>
Based on best Japanese Island
>>
>>30897105
That'd be Hokkaido/Sinnoh tho
>>
>>30897078
I agree with you except for sootopolis and the desert. Sootopolis has no reason to actually exist and the desert is just kind of there
>>
I like it
Wish it was bigger...
>>
>>30897121
>actually liking the frozen shithole that is Hokkaido
>>
>>30897139
The desert makes great sense actually, look up "rain shadow"
>>
>>30897121
>Its the only island name that I know so ill post it to be a contrarian.
>>
>>30897188
oh neat. Still sticking with the fact that there's no reason humans would have a functional city in sootopolis
>>
>>30897256
Well, for sootopolis I don't have an explication but i don't really care about this one, because rule of cool.
>>
>>30897256
I think it's more or less based in Fira, Santorini. Although it looks slightly different as that crater is way more open. Coincidentally Hoenn actually has a superficial resemblance to Greece
>>
>>30897005
it's a yin-yang
>>
>>30897256
ancient stuff, probably
>>
i always thought it was weird that they changed Sootopolis's formation or whatever from an ancient volcano in RSE to a meteor crater in ORAS. i guess to push the whole rayquaza/delta episode story
>>
terrible like the game
>>
>>30897078
I've never been more jarred a videogame's geography than Kalos.
The transition from Route 19 (Very green and swampy) to Snowbelle City is just stupid.
>>
>>30898165
Snowbelle city is only frozen because of the gym. Stupid, I know.
>>
>>30897005
Literally too much water

Like image you're playing and then all of a sudden you can't use your bike anymore

You lose a party slot essentially

And you're always in Grass
>>
>>30898374
*oh and everyone suddenly only uses water types
>>
>>30898374
>Like image you're playing and then all of a sudden you can't use your bike anymore
The surfing speed was pretty fast wasn't it?
>You lose a party slot essentially
Do you not use water types or something? Surf is basically the best water type move in the game. It does suck having to teach waterfall to a mon though.
>>
>>30898470
Between Dive and Waterfall and Rocksmash
>>
>>30897005
I like it.

the least liked one was Sinnoh for me.
but Hoenn was really nice, except for the last "city" in the far east. it's one pokemon center and a fucking cave. that's not a city. such a crapshot. I think they had time constraints so they ditched that in the last minute. I don't know.
>>
>>30897005
SEVEN
>>
Favorite region and I like the water. I'll take it over mountains of Sinnoh every day of the week.
>>
>>30898489
Oh shit, forgot about dive. sorry.

Until gen 5 I just got into a habit of always having at least 1 slave on my team. I played through Emerald last year with a team of six, I just swapped out the two over-leveled party members with tropius and wailmer when necessary. Peliper is pretty good too.
>>
>>30897005
Needs more islands.
>>
File: 300px-Hoenn_ORAS.png (164KB, 300x212px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Hoenn_ORAS.png
164KB, 300x212px
>>30897005
How does the ORAS map art manage to look more angular than the original art?
>>
>>30898500
Pretty sure it was just meant to be like the pokecenter in front of Mt. Moon, like a kind of rest-stop thing for trainers going through victory road to challenge the league.
>>
only thing I'm missing is a whole different region as post-game content.

pkmn gold and silver really went through the roof and set the bars really high for this particular game and they didn't come close because of that.
>>
>>30897256
I kind of forgot how this worked, but it's probably just a random volcanic island created by the likes of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surtseyan_eruption , and afterwards broke off with the magma source.
As for why people settled there, probably due to it's geographic location, close to the main island. Pacifidlog town seems more weird to me than Sootopolis.
>>
>>30897005

There's too much water
>>
>>30897005

It's perfect
>>
>>30898830
It's also worth noting that farms are often built near volcanoes because of the quality of the soil after the ash has fallen in. Once the lava source gets cut off, Sootopolis was likely an extremely thriving city due to access to water, fish and good soil.

Lack of accessibility is the biggest danger.
>>
>>30899771
Wait... then how is there a desert next to the active Volcano
>>
>>30897005
Too many fucking Water HMs
>>
>>30897005
my favorite region desu
>lots of places to explore
>dive
>regis
>that entire optional route after you get Surf
>hidden bases up the ass
This region was really fucking fun.
>>
>>30900328
Because rain shadow.
>>
Sinnoh was better.
>>
>>30900897
>literally the worst region
>better
>>
>>30898599
Because ORAS a shit.
>>
>>30897256
Rule of cool
>>
>>30898599
It's more accurate to the actual in-game map

Alola makes the tropical setting better, but Hoenn is still pretty nice. Water routes are boring, they had a good thing going with watter currents and diving, but it could use more diversity
>>
>>30900897
Sinnoh as a whole is a terrible region.
>>
>>30900436
>scorched slab
>hidden hex maniac under cycling road
>underwater caves linking diving spots
>fire/water/leaf stones hidden in the aforementioned caves
>sunken ship (also my favourite track from any pokemon game)
>regi puzzle
>desert underpass
>hidden circle of tall grass that's filled with jigglypuff

There's a few more that I can't remember.
>>
>>30901048
>It's a white rock.
>>
>>30901048
This is why Alola is shit. Any exploring you can do during the main story is invariably blocked off by a trial gate or some other faggot. I like the region, but I grew very tired of not being able to explore freely.
>>
>>30897121
Hokkaido is an Ainu island, not a Japanese island.
>>
>>30901200
'kay
>>
>>30901032
They made no attempts to differentiate it from Hoenn.
>>
It's a region. You walk around on it. That's all I know.
>>
>>30902890
Ahah upvoted bro! xD
>>
>>30900945
Unova is the worst faggot
>>
>>30897005
I only wished it was bigger. But >>30900436 >>30901048 sum it well.

and then ORAS fucks it up by making it >>30898599

>>30901028
Sometimes, developers need to concede a separation of lore/story and gameplay.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (119KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
119KB, 1280x720px
>>30900897
>geography that makes sense
>each town/city is distinct from one another
>Mt Coronet servers as a centerpiece that is present throughout the whole game, allowing for a more consistent experience (nothing jarring like walking straight into a desert)
>token gimmick is taken very seriously, each route has air vents to the underground to make it more immersive
>cold, lonely routes that aren't present in any other pokemon game, and also;
>DEEPEST
>LORE

It reminds me of my home country so it gets bonus points. I love Sinnoh
>>
>>30902846
Well, there's fog. Even then RSE had "fog" in some areas only without the stupid fucking RNG enabling.

You know, I like Mt Coronet. Exploring caves is fun. But everything else in Sinnoh makes me detest it.
>>
>>30902846
What similarities does Hoenn have with Sinnoh? I see them as opposites
>>
>>30897005
From an artwork perspective, the gen 6 map has everything with straight pathways and just looks weird unnatural
>>
I know
Sun/Moon = Hawaii
X/Y=France
What are the others?
>>
>>30897005
People say too much water, i disagree

Hoenn is the nicest region
>>
>>30903526
They're both shit regions
>>
>>30897005
comfy/10
>>
>>30903597
Unova is meant to be most of the US.
Orre is the like western deserts of US or some shit.
Gens 1-4 are all regions of Japan near Kyoto and Tokyo.
>>
>>30903677
What's your favorite region Anon? Contribute some discussion.
>>
Both Hoenn and Sinnoh are my favourite regions geographically. Something about them just makes me feel like I'm travelling the world and seeing the sights. Every other region I feel like "this will be your next path for today: green (or maybe brown if I'm lucky)"
>>
>>30900328
Soil and sand are different environments.

Volcanic ash won't do shit for the desert, but on soil it is the world's best natural fertilizer
>>
>>30900897
>boring and generic rock everywhere
>snow and swamp are the only places this differs in the main game, and they are trash because of slow downs
>worst HMs in the series. Not only do you have shit like defog replacing flash (just kidding lol you still need flash) but you constantly need them to traverse the world
>Mount HMnet
>only time the environments are diverse is when they are jam packed into the small post game area
>slow

the only thing the region does right is that it has a good amount of exploration, but Hoenn is better on that front as well.

I'm 100% convinced the only people who like Sinnoh are nostalgiafags
>>
>>30903836
>Both Hoenn and Sinnoh are my favourite regions geographically. Something about them just makes me feel like I'm travelling the world and seeing the sights
This.
>>
>>30897005
Totally fucked if a Tsunami ever hits
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.