[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First Month Anniversary Discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

File: sunmoon.jpg (82KB, 625x350px) Image search: [Google]
sunmoon.jpg
82KB, 625x350px
As of today it's been a month since these games were officially released. So what do you think of them, /vp/? What did you like? What did you hate? What would you change? Let's get some discussion going.
>>
>Lillie leaves
>Can't just turn my Nihilego into another lillie
They can't just drop plot elements like that it makes no fucking sense
>>
>>30885286
t. Lusamine
>>
>>30885239
im a johtofag so i don't know what kids like these days with their battle facilities and whatnot

but i liked the story and the introduction of the ubs
and the soundtrack was fucking rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rASHViBwBw
>>
>>30885239
Only flaws are new Pokemon availability and the festival plaza. Too much Kanto pandering again and the festival plaza is worse than the PSS in every way.
>>
>about to catch a poke
>HELP APPEARED

I really wish SOS battles could only start from adrenaline orbs.
>>
>>30885239

I mostly disliked them, actually. Small things like forced story cutscenes and the like were ok, but removing the national dex, four battle types, making fishing limited to one spot, and removing the PSS in favor of a tedious plaza(which is fun by itself, but not as a hub of wifi connections) says the games are a major step back game mechanics wise. That and only kanto mons got new forms.

Very flawwed games in my opinion, also among the worst of them in my opinion. Not horrible just...not good.
>>
>>30885358
Don't worry anon, they'll be gone by Gen 8.
>>
>>30885239

SOS battles are garbage. Plaza makes friendcode trades shit. Only 300/800+ pokemon apparently matter enough to get a pokedex entry.
>>
One step forward, one step back. Typical Game Freak.

>tfw game freak won't stop adding and removing features like they have since gen 3 so they can make "every region feel unique" instead of trying to make the ultimate pokemon game
>>
>>30885337
same, i've been playing since crystal and lack of full battle frontier has never been too much of an issue for me.
i just wish i could have fought lusamine's nihilego form instead of her team. otherwise it's a comfy game and it's the first time i've ever sought to complete my dex. miles and heaps and lightyears above anything gen 6 had to offer
>>
>>30885424

No I can get trying to make a region free unique with following pokemon and shit, but removing *core* features like the national pokedex and battle types is 100% unforgivable. That's not making a region feel unique anymore, thats cheating you a pokemon experience.
>>
>>30885431
also fuck the festival plaza
>>
>>30885452
That's why I put it in quotes, it's a retarded excuse.
>>
>>30885431
>miles and heaps and lightyears above anything gen 6 had to offer

Wut.
Also it figures you'd just now go to complete a pokedex when its not even half of the pokemon.
>>
>>30885471

No I could get it as an excuse before, but this isn't something that can fall under that excuse. Seasons/following pokemon/etc.. weren't core mechancis that needed to return, but SunMoon are game shitty enough to remove things that have been standard for almost ten years and have the balls to call it an anniversary game.

I miss gen 6 already and thats a fucking travesty.
>>
>Pros
+Region is nice
+Music is really good
+Feels like a breath of fresh air after X/Y/ORAS(Fucking terrible generation honestly)
+Felt like they finally managed to have a balance between adventure and story
+Regional variants are a great idea
+Trials are unique
+Great QOL features

>Cons
-New Pokémon aren't really given much of a focus outside of totem battles. A lot of routes are crammed full of old Pokémon and just 1 or 2 Gen VII ones.
-Festival Plaza is a load of shit why did they remove PSS
-Regional variants are confined to Gen 1 Pokés and it feels like there are too few of them
-Lack of rematches/good grinding areas/tutors/improved battle facilities because GF is too autistic to put those into games that are the first of their generation

Sounds overly negative maybe but they're probably some of my favourite games in the series.
>>
File: 1.jpg (64KB, 540x668px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
64KB, 540x668px
I just wish they'd update Pokebank to work with gen 4 and 5 games too instead of having to use some pointless intermediate programs.
>>
>every time you Wonder Trade it still takes you out of the menu and makes you reconnect again.

come on game freak i have 9 boxes to trade away. :/
>>
>>30885239

I hate the hand holding. I thought it was bad in X/Y, but this game takes it to new level.

Music is kinda OK, but thats a given for pokemon.
>>
>>30885424
can't blame them
people would complain much more if nothing new was added rather that if they just added new stuff and took other stuff away

if they try to make the ultimate pokemon game in every new one they'd eventually run out of ideas and pokemon would go back to being de-normified
which would mean only sad fuckers from the chins would play them and that'd hurt them alot
>>
>>30885479
Gen 6 is garbage
>>
>>30885239
I hated how fucking linear they were, I wanna explore for fuck sake, stop putting shitty arbitrary blockades in my fucking way
Also fuck Hau, he was more of a nuisance than anything else
I would've loved to see more of Gladion and the Aether Foundation's background
Zygarde deserved more than it got
Also more than just 7 fucking UBs would've been amazing, and speaking of, leaving Necrozma out there without any explanation whatsoever is a stupid way to sequelbait
>>
The good:
>First time I actually gave two shits about the story/characters in years
>Rock-solid soundtrack and worldbuilding
>Breeding/EV training/general Pokemon eugenics have been streamlined to the point where anyone can get into it without much fuss
>Most of the new Pokemon were pretty great, Ultra Beasts are one of the best things to happen to the franchise in ages
>the Kanto pandering was more creative and less obnoxious than XY's
>Ride Pokemon are a great step up from HMs
The bad:
>Festival Plaza is obnoxious and unwieldy
>No decent ways to grind EXP in the postgame
>Fishing is a chore
>Rotom Dex was ultimately just a useless attempt to ape the ghost from Yokai Watch
>Rematching prominent NPCs in the postgame replaces their unique themes with the generic trainer battle theme

On the whole, I thought it was the best new-generation-pair since Gold/Silver, but it was also frustrating because there were a number of flaws that would've taken all of five seconds to fix.
>>
>>30885560
>leaving Necrozma out there without any explanation whatsoever is a stupid way to sequelbait
They've been doing this since Emerald dude. Not that it's an okay thing for them to do.
>>
>>30885239

I don't like them at all. They try to halfass some "Story" but sacrifice the entire adventure aspect to do so. The region is already small/fairly spacious because of the 3DS limitations, but compared to forcing you down a linear path, removing the national pokedex, and even centralizing fishing to certain spots it's like they dont even want you to explore anymore.

This played more like a visual novel than a pokemon game, and that pisses me right off.
>>
>>30885239
Was super refreshing after playing through Y, enjoying it. Enjoying post game, then starting to collect. Playing Alpha Sapphire, enjoying the small changes, still collecting. after getting a living dex and banking it, playing Sun was super super refreshing. Being so entrenched in it and seeing the alolan pokemon being drastically different, seeing the competitive meta heavily altered just from the smaller pokemon selection/no megas, plus all the npcs in sun are way more rewarding to speak to.

Now I'm finishing this dex before the bank opens to obtain the shiny charm, its enough fun for me with the SOS battles and stuff that I don't mind recatching golbat and shit - even though I can just gen if I want. Then I hope to get to atleast 100 battles in the battle tower with my girlfriend in multi-battles, I'm looking forward to that bit of fun.
>>
>>30885479
>Also it figures you'd just now go to complete a pokedex when its not even half of the pokemon.
i'm more casual but i just finally have the time and genuinely have enjoyed the region. but suit yourself man.
>>
Enjoyed the story, cutscenes and music but felt like the route/city design was bland and nothing really stood out to me. Festival plaza was a pain in the ass and I hated that certain Pokemon appeared only in certain patches along each route, without any NPC telling you so. (Unless I just missed them.)

Overall an improvement upon xy/oras but other than that, average
>>
Good
>Music
>Alola Forms are fun, even if limited to kanto creatures
>Breeding and Hyper Training make team building actually fairly fun now
>no hms

Bad
>fishing
>exp grinding/trainer rematches still non existant
>story is hit and miss
>the region is kind of bland
>removal of national pokedex
>removal of PSS for plaza

It really took playing these games to realize how good we had it with X/Y/OR/AS, and I'm going to miss them.
>>
File: 1383440397535.png (78KB, 529x327px) Image search: [Google]
1383440397535.png
78KB, 529x327px
Regarding customization

>exclusive clothes
>have a 1/6 chance of buying a specific piece of clothing from a plaza guest
>can't buy glasses or hats from opposite gender players
>can only get bright dye from 5 star shops, can't use berries for that
>dying understandably replaces the white clothing used, but you can't buy another of it so you have to use the same one for every color replacement
>>
>>30885502
Yeah obviously not every single feature added to Pokemon should be in the game. For example going from Gen 2 -> 3, removing the radio was fine, removing day/night and post-game until FRLG and Emerald was retarded. And they keep doing similar things for every new generation

>>30885539
Well I never said they shouldn't add new features. Problem is they remove features that actually worked well and people liked just for the sake of being "different" instead of improving on them. The most obvious example for Gen 7 being the online system.
>>
>>30885608

I'm max casual myself, but shit removing the pokedex is horrible. It's the one thing I liked doing: catching them all.

It's like gen seven is trying to punish you for leaving it's linear plot path.
>>
I'm drunk and i thing sun/moon were good. There are obvious troubles with it, like FPS drops and missing horde battles (interrelated yeah), but overall moon for me personally was great. I liked characters and plot. Region as it is isn't THAT memoriable (liked Kalos better), cause all roads are boring. Massive con that new pokemon are fucking slow as hell. Like, why the fuck vikavolt would have 43 base speed? I'm really salty about it. Bit I hope GF takes bast from SM into gen VIII.
>>
>>30885625
Literally the only good thing in XY was PSS.
PSS was an amazing feature, can't think of anything else I miss from it except maybe the training bags.
>>
>>30885607
also admittantly yes the game is so small I could probably draw you a map somewhat accurate of every single route, but this seems like a more feasible adventure in terms of scale.

Of course I feel like Johto was the penultimate existence because of the built-in NG+ with the Kanto section, but fuck that game spoiled us all. This is a nice companion to the previous games and was more intriguing than Black or Diamond, those fucking sucked.
>>
>>30885645
>The most obvious example for Gen 7 being the online system.

No making the national pokedex paid DLC is by far the shittiest move.
It's like they read all the hate for generation six and tried to make these games shittier to spite us.
>>
regardless if you didn't like the story/gameplay, i think gamefreak did a good job with characters this gen in the least. the majority of characters were memorable and were more than just standing in their gym/trial site, which was one of the shortcomings of gen 6.
>>
>>30885677
Never said it was the shittiest just the most obvious example that came to my mind. The Pokdex is definitely another flaw.
>>
File: 1464576428346.jpg (98KB, 430x350px) Image search: [Google]
1464576428346.jpg
98KB, 430x350px
It's been 3 games so far and we haven't had the game corner or traditional safari zone come back.
>>
>>30885662
>Literally the only good thing in XY was PSS.

And what does this game offer to have that one "good" thing?
I miss triple/inverse battles, yes, but I had no idea they removed the pokedex until people bitched about it here.
Really the worst part about Sun/Moon is that they could have very simple things FROM ALMOST EVERY GAME IN THE LAST TEN YEARS that even X/Y managed to have.

They may not be native to X/Y, but X/Y fucking had them.
>>
>>30885678
Yeah XY had super forgettable characters. Everything feels kind of "saturday morning cartoon" with SM characters and I mean that in a good way.
>>
>>30885239
Lack of post game content makes me sad
>>
>>30885707
Game Corner is never coming back because of the European rating system.
>>
>>30885678

I disagree. Finding a character "memorable" is one thing, but the game shoving them down your throat is a flaw that carried over from X/Y. The game forcing you to interact with them does not make them memorable, and really the only characters that stood out are Nanu and Kukui. Rest are your standard fare smiling not people pokemon is known for.
>>
>>30885707
>He doesn't know
>>
>>30885741
>>30885723

This is a problem with the 3DS games in general. X/Y started a bland character outbreak that has just carried over to here. Trial captains are essentially gym leaders in both function and personality, and it kind of makes me sad that "changing the formula" didn't amount to NPCs becoming actual people.

I'd also argue Guzma, but that may just be /vp/ pregame hype speaking.
>>
>>30885239

May be an unpopular opinion here, but all pokemon games have felt like progress in some way(even with most taking huge steps back).

S/M just didn't take enough steps forward for me to be able to say that this time. They are clearly going for the casual Yokai Watch crowd and abandoning the roots that made the series popular in the first place. Why allow you to port pokemon from Red/Blue/Yellow if you cant view their dex data? Do they not count as part of the anniversary/franchise anymore? What the fuck?
>>
>>30885560
>Also fuck Hau
you're a shit-tier fucking human
>>
>>30885632
This. All of this.

>dying understandably replaces the white clothing used, but you can't buy another of it so you have to use the same one for every color replacement
I swear they only did this to make you grind FC forever. As if getting 5* dye shops + having to beg from other players for version exclusive clothing wasn't difficult and tedious enough.
>>
>>30885560
>Also fuck Hau, he was more of a nuisance than anything else

Friendly rivals have always been a mistake. I thought it couldnt get worse than X and Y, but these games managed it.
>>
Aside from the shitshow that is Festival Plaza, there are lame subtle changes to the GTS. There are times when someone deposits a Pokemon, but it can't be found. Not human error (shit happens), and not as a snipe either - the person will take it out of the GTS & redeposit (even using Pokemon specifics to make). Unfortunately it ends up being the same result. I've seen this happen in a lot of threads for these Gen 7 giveaways as well, most will get confused about what happened and not really question it. I think it ties into the "deposit" option too. With Gen 6, one could just idle in the GTS and wait for their shit to get traded. Can't do that anymore with these games, as it'll just take you to a summary of the deposited Pokemon - traded away or not.

It's an overall minor detail, but it is fucking annoying to deal with especially when doing giveaways
>>
>>30885560
STAR "Z" ;)
>>
>>30885239
Made this 2Dfag believe 3D is a good direction. Loved the battle menu overhaul, too. Liked a lot of the new mons, just wish there were more. Alola forms were a neat idea, then again wish there were more. Z-Moves are dumb, need more Megas. Would make the game harder though. So many trainers only had one Pokemon, and then two. Why? Battles felt weak overall. Totems were more annoying than challenging. Miss the gyms, loved the characters. At the beginning the game was too hand holdy and I relied more on the Rotom map to get around. Why is there no free swinging camera? Lockcam is not necessary at all in this 3D world. Oh and they made some dumb choices on Pokemon stats. Not bad, I admit I liked it more than I thought I would.
>>
Hmm it's that time already? Alrighty

Region is quite nice
Story is entertaining
Characters are wayyyy better than XY
Route one is an actual route with grass again
Kukui yeah?
Masked royal woo!
Music is great again after XY butchered it
Legitimately challenging without the EXP share on
Full sized models > chibi models
Poke Pelago is surprisingly useful and convient
Festival Plaza is great...when following guides to exploit it
The "champion" was a big improvement over Diantha
Title defense matches are great
The new breeding mechanics for passing down pokeballs is nice
Being able to deposit eggs into the PC when the team is full is a big time saver
Pokerides is one best things GF has ever done to get rid of HMs
Being able to switch the time of day any time I want for evos and pokemon.
No Lucario Pandering

And for the negatives...

Minor grievance but the slowdown in doubles is annoying
Tauros not having auto run is a pain for egg hatching
No real way to level up pokemon to 100 if you want to use bottle caps aside from knowing how to cheese festival plaza
Festival plaza in general is a mess
Putting online features behind festival plaza was stupid
Grind for coins the "normal" way is mind numbing
Type matchup missions are the only ones worth playing
Not much to do post game
Rotom dex is cool but wastes the greatness that was PSS
Fishing is just plain annoying since magikarp is so absurdly common.
No old rod/good rod/super rod to fix the above issue
No free destiny knot like in XY and ORAS
Plumeria is so underdeveloped despite being skulls's admin. She's just...there.

Think that's it. Despite the negatives it's one of my favorites along with gen 5
>>
>>30885239
Fucking great so far. I've been fucking around with trades, the pelago, plaza, etc. that I just made it past Akala.

I now also have a box of mostly UBs from just trading certain pokemon.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.