[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Fairy type too strong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 17

File: fairy_type_confirmed.png (134KB, 530x292px) Image search: [Google]
fairy_type_confirmed.png
134KB, 530x292px
Is Fairy type too strong?
>>
Wee bit
>>
>>30883655
It'd be a bit of a stretch to call it TOO strong, but it is definitely one of the strongest typings in the game. Heck, almost every team has a fairy now.
>>
>>30883693
Steel is
>>
>>30883655
Are water-types wet?
>>
Too many resistances and not enough hard counters. If your opponent has a fairy and you don't have a poison or steel that can 1hko then you're fucked
>>
>>30883741
this
>fairy resists bug
>fire resists fairy
why is it like this
>>
File: 1424097151519.png (125KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1424097151519.png
125KB, 256x256px
I think its fame as a really strong type depends entirely on how good dragon types were until its introduction.

As a type with pretty much no weaknesses, of course the meta was overrun with dragons, so it was only natural that a type immune to them and SE against them would be felt as OP, even though it's only effective because of how dragon-heavy the meta was.

Let's also not forget that most dragons are not only faster than the majority of fairykind, but have also access to fire type moves, on top of moves that can be SE against the fairy's secondary type, so I really don't get the doomsday "Dragon-type is over" naysayers
>>
2strong or not, there was no good reason to add it
Dragons would be fine if you nerfed outrage or buffed ice
Fighting would be fine steel wasn't weak to it
Dark was completely fine

And even then entry hazard meta is a MUCH more serious problem than type imbalance, and Game Freak has done almost nothing to nerf it.
I mean fuck it'd be as simple as making them disappear after a set amount of turns
>>
>>30883792
fairies also ruined other types, you know
>>
I'd make it so ghost resists fairy, that would be a start.
>>
File: 1481163569635.png (121KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1481163569635.png
121KB, 700x700px
>>30883655
One of the most OP types in the game held back by Pokemon with really shitty stats.

Basically the opposite of Dragon-type. Go figure.
>>
What the fuck even is fairy
Stopled after gen 5 it looks gay as fuck imho tbqh senpai
>>
>>30883792
>2x damage to dark, fighting, and dragon
>Takes half damage from Bug, dark, fighting
Only weakness is steel and poison both of which lack offensive presence as they were always the tank or status-stall and GF doesn't understand that you can't just slap conjure up strong poison or steel moves when neither of those type of pokemon are that great offensively

Did dark and fighting NEED something else to get raped by? Did bug NEED another type it wasn't effective against?
>>
>>30883877
It's a type for fairies
>>
>>30883871
>held back by Pokemon with really shitty stats.

Most pokemon which are part fairy only get better. Idk what you're smoking.
>>
Fighting and Dragon Pokemon needed nerfs.

Note how I said Pokemon. Not the typing themselves. Dragon isn't even that good of a type. The problem was with maybe two or three exceptions, every Dragon-type was a 600+ BST monster.

GF can't into numbers.
>>
>>30883877
Game freak pulled a publicity stunt to make the game appeal to little girls and manchildren defend it as fixing the metagame when in reality it just broke it in a new direction.
>>
File: 1481507656893.png (374KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1481507656893.png
374KB, 680x680px
Why the FUCK did they buff Outrage to 120 BP anyway?

If they didn't do that, none of this would be a problem. AT ALL.
>>
File: Clefable.png (52KB, 260x240px) Image search: [Google]
Clefable.png
52KB, 260x240px
I wouldnt call it broken but it's definitely one of the best types in the game.

Like take for example Clefable, in Gen 5 it was a really obscure RU mon, but with the adition of Fairy it literally became god.

The good thing is that there arent a lot of fairy types and most of them have shit stats/are outclassed by Clefable so I think Gamefreak did manage the type well at not making it broken.
>>
>>30883849
Dark is better now. Dark was honestly a slice of shit on it's introduction. It was the cool edgy type which people still liked but it was shit. More moves and no more steel resist has brought it up a bit.
>>
>>30884065

Dark is only good because Knock off.
>>
>>30884065
All of those comparisons are to gen 5 for the record
Gen 5 Dark was good enough at what it tried to do with shit like Liepard and Zoroark
>>
Why does it resist bug reeee
>>
>>30883940

And what is your reasoning for Fighting-types?
>>
It needs to lose its resistance to Bug, Ice needs to resist it as a buff to that type, and it needs be hit super-effectively by another, more common typing that Steel or Poison.
>>
make it weak to Psychic
>>
Fighting was a legit mess
>lots of good moves
>fantastic offensive typing
>only two weaknesses
>had some god-tier 'mons like Lucario and Blaziken
Now was fairy the solution? Not necessarily, there are many angles to tackle gen 5 fighting from and this is the solution Game Freak chose. I personally disagree with this decision but you could do worse
>>
>>30883792
>I think its fame as a really strong type depends entirely on how good dragon types were until its introduction.
Sure.
>As a type with pretty much no weaknesses, of course the meta was overrun with dragons
Well, it had Ice and Dragon itself as weaknesses. The problem was that they never made even one good (fast sweeper) Ice Pokemon to counter them, and gave most Dragons a Fire move as well.
>it was only natural that a type immune to them and SE against them would be felt as OP, even though it's only effective because of how dragon-heavy the meta was.
To be honest I think Fairy is ridiculously overpowered and I only use one Dragon. It resists Bug for no reason, it resists Dark even though Fairies are meant to be innocent and susceptible to Dark. Fair play to Fighting I guess but that doesn't make much sense either.
>
Let's also not forget that most dragons are not only faster than the majority of fairykind, but have also access to fire type moves
Which aren't super effective. What's your point?
>I really don't get the doomsday "Dragon-type is over" naysayers
No one says that. Dragon is still basically the best type. One shitty weakness doesn't break them in the slightest, the introduction of Fairy just fucked over the other types instead. Ice got cucked out of being useful, Bug got worse, Dark got worse.

The only good thing about Fairy was that Fighting got a very minor nerf and Fire got a very minor buff. They had the tools to fuck Dragon already; Ice as a type achieved nothing in five generations. It's no wonder it feels cheap when the brand new type just happens to beat everything just because.
>>
File: IMG_3299.jpg (59KB, 818x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3299.jpg
59KB, 818x640px
>>30884433
>these two conveniently are not affected to Fairy
>>
File: sure jan.gif (841KB, 450x254px) Image search: [Google]
sure jan.gif
841KB, 450x254px
>>30884433
and yet they aren't affected by the Fairy introduction because lel steel and fire types. Ironic how the type's most viable are also those not fazed by the nerf that's supposed to take them down a notch
>>
>>30884064
Fighting types ran amuck in gen. V.
>>
Fairy helped take Poison types out of obscurity. Also, for some reason Gamefreak wanted Steel types to be even more of mandatory inclusions
>>
>>30884437
Dark is evil in Japanese, fairies are hard to trick by nature, heck most myths have the hero that tricked them into defeat as on who pulled of a really hard feat.

You can't kick a fairy in the groin and expect to win.
>>
>>30884642
Steel was nerfed by being hit by Ghost and Dark type moves for neutral damage.
>>
>>30884573
>>30884613
And that's why I disagree with the idea of fairy type, it fails at what it supposedly tried to do.
>>
>make psychic and ghost resist fairy
>make fire also hit them for SE
>give them a weakness to ice too just to throw ice type a bone

now things are less shitty in the meta
>>
>>30884667
Fairy didn't fail at what it tried to do. Garchomp, Latios, and Latias can't expect to win if Clefable can come in safely on them.

Game Freak needs to buff Poison Pokemon like Arbok and Weezing.
>>
File: d4382.jpg (189KB, 1416x708px) Image search: [Google]
d4382.jpg
189KB, 1416x708px
It sucks being a Dragonbro
>>
>>30883655
not this shit again
>>
>>30884711
Weezing is a decent wall in NU
>>
>>30884698
>buffing Ghost
No.
Give the resist to Grass.
>>
>>30884698
Ice doesn't need offensive buffs, it needs defensive buffs. Fire is already a damn good offensive type too, much better off than most. I also personally don't think Ghost needs a buff either. How about helping some really shit types like Grass or Bug? Psychic could do with the resist though.
>>
>>30884437
You can't punch the fairfolk, they rip you to shreds before that. Fighting type.

You can't out trick the fairfolk as they weren't playing by natural rules from the start. Dark "evil" type.

Nerf to u turn was needed, also fairies where above nature and several controlled plagues and swarms in myths. Bug type.

Learn about the fairfolk before talking.
>>
>>30884658
What, so they can't be defeated by the "hero" type, and can't be corrupted by the "evil" type? What are these fucking things? It makes no sense. They're impervious to fucking everything.

They should be weak to Bug at least; in all the stories and movies they have insects as antagonists because when you're as small as they are, they're fucking strong and scary. I'm thinking FernGully or The Leaf Men and the Brave Good Bugs.

Like who exactly is Dark meant to beat? Just Psychic? Psychic is a shit type now. It doesn't even make sense that a literal mind-reader would be tricked by a sucker punch or "durr underhanded techniques".
>>
Yes

Should be weak to bugs
>>
>>30884767
So change its stats and movepool. Weezing lacks a reliable recovery outside of Black Sludge. Gen. 6 would've been the perfect time to buff it and yet Game Freak did nothing of the sort as from what I recall. I'd also buff its special attack a bit as well.
>>
The real solution is to play inverse battles
there types are very balanced!
>>
>>30884856
Fairies are Eldritch abominations, at least the precedent to them.

You can't win in a fair fight or out truck them, you have to use a plebothinum like cold steel or a very specific substance to harm them.

They where above plagues and the natural order as well. Many fairies even commanded dragons and gave heroes the weapons to harm them.
>>
>>30884856
Psychic is supposed to represent the mind. That's why it's weak to Bug and Dark because bugs are creepy and evilness corrupts.
>>
>>30883767
>implying they wanted mega charizard to get hit by fairy

el oh el
>>
>>30884064
>Like take for example Clefable, in Gen 5 it was a really obscure RU mon, but with the adition of Fairy it literally became god.

Clefable was amazing because of it's god-tier abilities and movepool. Giving it a good defensive typing was all it needed to become relevant.
>>
>>30884792
Give Ice resists to either Ground and/or Grass. It's SE against them, so resisting them would make some sense.

Have Bug resist Dark, the fuck's a dark type gonna do trying to fight dirty against a fucking bug anyway?
>>
>>30884856
Also dark doesn't corrupt, is the underhanded combat style. It's all about groin kicking, being an asshole and testing your sword on poor unwary peasants.

Blame the awful localization but dark is about being a combat pragmatist.
>>
>>30883655
Compared to Water? No. If you wanted to call it the 2nd best type, I think you could frame an argument. You could also frame an argument of it being too strong in Alola OU, as opposed to PokeBank OU.

Fairy is a well-balanced type offensively/defensively, but Steel was a common type already to check Dragons, so it's been around. Poison is an uncommon offensive type much like Grass, so it's lacked presence boosts Fairy's, akin to Water's buff.

It resists 2 common offensive types. It is weak to uncommon offensive types. It's resisted by uncommon defensives types.

It shouldn't resist Bug because Poison resists. It should be neutral. Lele should take SE damage from U-Turn.

It's not so much too strong as other types just need more tools to work with.
>>
Dark typing is strategic and deceitful hence why it has moves like Pursuit, Knock Off, Feint Attack, Snatch, Beat Up, Assurance, Fake Tears, Fling, Foul Play, Memento, Payback, Punishment, and Sucker Punch.
>>
>>30884882
Its movepool doesn't need much fixing besides giving it Recover and maybe a decent dark type move or Rapid Spin 2bh.

Having to rely on Pain Split is a pain in the ass
>>
>>30883939
Exactly. What's stopping Fairy is that even a lot of amazing Fairy types (like Clefable) have so-so stats.
>>
>>30885023
U turn was a balance choice, fairies did control plagues in myth, so them resisting their bug underlying does make sense.

Fairfolk was often beaten by either a crippling weakness to a substance or cold steel, so a steel weakness and a poison weakness is justified.
>>
>>30885125
It learns Payback and Dark Pulse.
>>
GET GOOD NIGGAS
Have a Stamina Mudsdale with Earthquake and Heavy Slam and watch Tapu Kek and Lel get BTFO
>>
File: 1449917283300.jpg (137KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1449917283300.jpg
137KB, 500x500px
>>30885213
>Weak to cold steel
>>
I'd be okay if Fairy resisted Dragon instead of was immune to it next gen. Also if it were weak to say, Psychic.
>>
>>30885252
>Dark Pulse
Really? wew lad I didn't even know that
I always run it defensively with WoW, Pain Split, Sludge Bomb and either Toxic, Destiny Bond, or Explosion for the memes.
>>
>>30885383
An Esper being supper effective against an Eldritch like beast...

Considering Japan is the country this is made this won't be happening at all.
>>
>Introduced to nerf dragons
>End up hurting dark, fighting, ice, bug, and psychic more than dragons
BRAVO GAMEFREAK
>>
>>30885213
Fun Fairy Fact: The reason fairies in folklore are weak to steel is because steel is something that does not occur in nature; it is artificial, manmade. The same goes for poison - poison Pokemon such as Koffing, Muk, or Garbodor represent manmade artifical pollution, so it makes sense that Fairies would be weak to Poison using the same folklore logic. The poison pokemon who's poison typing represents natural toxins or venoms get to hop along for the ride, I guess.

I suppose I'd like to see fairies be weak to Psychic. Psychic is a mediocre offensive typing, and I think it could be seen as a "science dispels magic" kind of thing.
>>
>>30883655
No. It just finally received some strong and versatile members.
>>
>>30885540
If only this was the to aru verse and Espers would win vs magic.

Sadly in Japan apparently the notion of Espers going vs nature isn't popular.
>>
Any logical reason why Fairies don't resist, but rather are IMMUNE to dragons?

Also what's the reasoning behind their weakness for poison and steel?
>>
>>30885686
Fairies gave humans the weapons to harm dragons, some fairies commanded and ruled over dragons.

Fairies could be harmed by cold steel. A plebothinum substance, often an alchemical compound or something from their own nature outside the world could be fatal for them, the plebothinum was used as a poison on a weapon or on their feeding habits.

Fairfolk can be quite Eldritch, some where harmed when their areas where burnt down or in post 20s retellings they would be weak to sudden temperature changes.
>>
>>30883655
t. dragonfag
>>
>>30885540
>it is artificial, manmade. The same goes for poison
Do you know what a snake is?
>>
>>30885686
Gamefreak thinks they know how to balance things, but they can't do shit.
>>30885751
No idea what this autist is on about.
>>
>>30884131
>Crunch
>Dark Pulse
>Darkest Lariat
>Pursuit

The fact it can slap things like Aegislash, Metagross and go neutral on Steel in general is what makes it great, not just Knock Off.
>>
>>30883792
Thank you for bringing light to these morons
>>
>>30883655
>>30883655
They should have called it "Superior Psychic" because thats what it is.
>"Well guys how can we make fairy different from other types?"
>>"I know lets take psychic and rmake resist all its weaknesses , but make it super effective against dark so then people will really know it's different!"
>>
>>30885787
In most myths the poison that harmed or rendered a fairy powerless either came from their realm, was crafted by a magician or was obtained from another mysterious figure after a long quests.

Old school fairies where pretty much the Authors cheat button in folklore to be honest.
>>
>>30885787
Nice reading comprehension there numbnuts. You literally just had to go one sentence further.
>>
>>30884966
thats the point he was trying to make
>>
>>30885540
That's why I'd like to see it weak to Psychic too!
>>
>>30885797
Try reading some fairy tales man, they aren't the Disney tinkerbell shit you apparently mistake them for.

Be prepared for loads of fetus/bone eating shit, pulling people apart from their insides and weird plagues falling on poor people. Often with Downer endings as they where cautionary tales to boot.
>>
>>30886012
That's against Japan perception of ESP abilities, blame their beliefs for that one.
>>
Why does Fire resist Fairy but Grass doesn't? Is it because GF didn't want Mega Charizard to be weak to the new type?
>>
>>30883655

No. If it was, then every Fairy type would dominate in its respective tier, like how Psychic+Normal dominated in Gen 1 and how Dragon and Fighting dominated in Gen 4+5
>>
>>30886188
Did Hypno dominate in R/B/Y?
>>
>>30883886

>fighting

yes. it only had two weaknesses and one of them was borderline irrevelant and the other one was risky becasue every other fighting type carried a rock move because Fighting+Rock is great offensive presence.
>>
>>30886237
My man Terrakion.
>>
>>30886214

Hypno was simply outclassed, and would have been very good in OU if other Psychic types didn't exist because Psychic is that OP in gen 1.
>>
>>30886287
Would Psychic be OP if Psychic Pokemon with overbearing stats were nerfed a bit in R/B/Y?
>>
The Fairy type felt like a good addition to combat Dragon types to some degree, and it helped Poison types be relevant again.

However something I don't understand is why are they strong against Fighting type mons. I mean, I guess thematically it makes some sense, but in-game did they really need another weakness?
>>
>>30886237
But what about dark. I mean, everything with any physical presence and their mother gets Knock Off, so you don't really need a dark type pokemon on your team.
Anyway, did the small prankster nerf help at all? I haven't played much gen 7 yet.
>>
File: 256px-Psycho_Boost_XD.png (97KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
256px-Psycho_Boost_XD.png
97KB, 256x192px
So what's everyone's favorite type(s)?

My favorite is Water and Psychic is my second favorite.
>>
File: 1455601990500.jpg (15KB, 337x275px) Image search: [Google]
1455601990500.jpg
15KB, 337x275px
>>30886413
I love Grass Pokemon.

As you can imagine, competitive Pokemon isn't fun for me.
>>
>>30886305

Yes.

Only resisted by itself
Psychic had a 30% chance to lower special
Amnesia, Reflect+Light Screen
Poison was still a common typing
Psychic ran off the special stat.
Psychics also had wide movepools and most of them had a secondary typing which benefited them

And then you'd still have to worry about the equally as broken Normal types with their fighting """""weakness""""", huge movepools, great offensive presence and utility.
>>
>>30886413
Always been partial to Normal and Electric types
>>
File: 1480754567259.jpg (302KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1480754567259.jpg
302KB, 1280x960px
>>30886413
Icefag here.
I take monotype teams to Battle Spot, and I only win around a third of the matches I get.
>>
File: 250px-628Braviary.png (54KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-628Braviary.png
54KB, 250x250px
>>30886413
I love Normal types. Dual types are also great.

They're the jacks of all trades but masters of none and I can relate.
>>
>>30885809
Agreed, but I'd like to add that sucker punch is still one of my favorite priority moves. Maybe there's risk involved in using it, but the power makes it a one hit KO priority against frail ghosts or psychic types that aren't expecting it.
>>
File: and that he's the sheriff.png (10KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
and that he's the sheriff.png
10KB, 480x320px
>>30886459
same
Thankfully it ties with Psychic for me so I'm allowed to have some fun in this meta
>>
File: Pokemon Deoxys vs Mewtwo.jpg (428KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon Deoxys vs Mewtwo.jpg
428KB, 1200x900px
>>30886459
>>30886413
>>30886534
>>30886496
>>30886536

Oh and my favorite Pokemon is Deoxys.
>>
>>30886413
I like dark, ghost, and steel types the most (in that order)
But I also really like poison and bug types

I guess I don't really have a favourite type 2bh
>>
File: 1481662928656.jpg (306KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
1481662928656.jpg
306KB, 500x700px
>>30886413
It's all about the Ghosts.
>>
File: 250px-210Granbull.png (51KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-210Granbull.png
51KB, 250x250px
>tfw when no Strong Jaw
>>
>>30886413
Fire
>got a new resist in Fairy thanks to Charizard and Blaziken
thanks so much
>>
I've played since Genwun and I only now just realized that Fighting resists Rock.
>>
>>30886413
Psychic, Ghost and Flying
I find it weird how my favorite types are also my waifus specialties.
>>
>>30886413
rock... we try really hard
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.