[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The problem with Gen II

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

File: mWhKx8l.jpg (347KB, 780x1048px) Image search: [Google]
mWhKx8l.jpg
347KB, 780x1048px
How come there isn't an equivalent for the really shitty Gen II games??
>>
>>30859993
Every gen had problems. This graph was just to meme on genwunners. I do agree Johtoddlers need to be taken care of. Actually, there should be one for every gen but I'm way too fucking lazy.
>>
As obnoxious as Gen 2fags are on this board it was mainly made because of normies always shitting on non genwun games
>>
>>30859993
Problems:
-shitty level curve
-new pokemon hidden in Kanto
-elemental stones
-apricorn balls are useless gimmicks
-a bitch to level up since you only have the Elite Four at level 40s
-new pokemon hidden while Kanto stuff is everywhere
-day/night only pokemon
>>
As a guy who grew up and loved Gold, I can admit it had some problems despite having a lot in a small cartridge:
- pitiful difficulty (Claire's pokemon were in the 30s! Kanto gyms were a joke despite good teams)
- roaming legendaries were a huge hassle
- Special split was good but since types (not individual moves) were designated special/physical, this caused a lot of problems with STAB (pokemon like Dragonite, Gengar, Sneasle and Gyrados could not use their STAB effectively)
- many new Pokemon just had crap stats (Murkrow, Stantler, Delibird, Azumarill for example)
- no real postgame until Crystal
- Kanto in general barely had anything to do
- story was probably the weakest in the series
>>
>>30859993
SHITMONS
>>
>>30860066
>Actually, there should be one for every gen
That would have been great. I would even volunteer to shit on my two favorite gens, III and V.
>>
>>30859993
Because Johtoddlers aren't as obnoxious as they were. These things are made in retaliation to shitposting.
>>
>>30860484
It was originally pasta someone made on SA about a decade ago for the purposes of shitposting.
>>
>>30860551
The point kinda stands for the ORAS one at least.
>>
>>30859993
No one can capture the sheer JUST this image has. The only other attempt, an ORAS version, is chock full of opinionated garbage and memes instead of it being solely genuine flaws like this one is.

If you want a version of this for the Gen II games, you aren't gonna have it made properly here at /vp/.
>>
>>30859993
if you kill someone with diaper beam lol
>>
>>30859993
They shouldve brought back speed-based crits desi
>>
>>30859993
>the "problem" (singular) with Gen 1
>lists more than one issue
>>
>>30860066
>graph
>>
>>30860724
Post it.
>>
>>30860179
You forgot
- Two new types near impossible to get
- Headbutting trees
-Half the pokemon are easily mistaken for being in another generation
>>
>>30859993
Because the Gen 1 pic was made due to overhype as the only good gen. Fans of Gen 2 are more rare and typically less cancerous
>>
You don't need a info list to state how awful gen2 was. If it wasn't for revisiting kanto it would probably be the second worst gen
>>
>>30861636
Probably cause gen 2 was actually pretty bad
>>
>>30861536
I didn't save that shit because it's garbage.
>>
How come there isn't an equivalent for every gen?
>>
>>30861801
I saw one for ORAS somewhere.
>>
File: 1473614612045.png (228KB, 893x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1473614612045.png
228KB, 893x1200px
ORAS version
>>
Johtoddler here.
Because gen2 wasn't as broken as gen 1 mechanics wise, a lot of them just passed over from gen1 but nothing original. The closest thing to a move being broken when used is Belly Drum basically granting you a +2 if you use it when below half hp and Marowak's attack rolling over to 0 when swords dancing.
Maybe Sleep Talk hitting Rest healing you all over but that isn't a bug just a fucktarded design decision.
People who think "oh it didn't add as many OU staples as other gens" probably think Gamefreak had their competitive viability in mind when they made them. By the way gen 2 OU is 1/2 gen1 mons 1/2 gen2 .
As for newer Pokemon being distributed like shit. It was because at that point in time "new" Pokemon were actually a new concept. We didn't know we would get that shit once every three years and they treated that in a way where you'd be rewarded for exploring and discovering the most interesting of these new Pokemon hidden away in bumfuck nowhere rather than making them mostly available to you.
The level cap? There's no excuse, that was downright awful. I feel like they were trying to aim to give the player a bit more freedom past Ecruteak and didn't want them to get in a complicated situation so they kept the levels low and then after you beat Lance they didn't want every Kanto trainer to be stronger than him so they kept them low leveled which is kind of awful for a person who wants a challenge.
Besides that most complaints about gen 2 seem to be regarding alternative catch methods which aren't even that painful or obnoxious compared to future shit or completely irrelevant shit like some gym leaders using Kanto Pokemon feel free to correct me though.
>>
>>30861959
>All these petty complaints trying to match up to the gen I version

I don't even like ORAS but that image is fucking dumb
>>
>>30861959
There's a lot of nitpicky things here. And a bunch of stuff that doesn't even have to do with the game at all. Like, yeah, no incentives to buy the remake sucks, but it's not an actual part of the GAME
>>
>>30862365

This is why there isn't really one for Gen II. They never really made another game that was THAT shoddy, and all attempts to fill infographics with walls of text will just be forced and petty.
>>
>>30859993
These "what's wrong with" graphs are just bait images, you retard.
>>
>>30861959
ORAS sucks and these are major contributors as to why, but this type of image just doesn't work as well because 90% of the issues listed in the Gen 1 version are objective game altering bugs. A lot of this is just "I don't like the design" "they didn't add this thing" "it's too easy". Those are fair complaints, but they aren't objective. The cherry on top is trying to compare the game not inventing a Mega Flygon to gen 1's stupid special stat.
>>
>>30862481
much like this one? >>30861959
>>
>>30862564
If you follow the reply chain, you'll see that's the image they were talking about to begin with.
>>
Hahahahahahaha Whitney's miltank
>>
>>30859993
1- gen two isn't constantly pandered to so it's not really on anyone's hate radar.

2- gen two improved on absolutely everything gen one had. no matter how much you might want to call gen two shit for whatever reason, it will by default still be a much better game than anything from gen one.

There is pretty much no reason to make a list for gen 2.
>>
The only problems plaguing Johto is the poor level curve and distribution of gen 2 mons. Its honestly a very well made gen for its time. The level of which it improved over gen one is the biggest margin of improvement in the series so far.
>>
>>30863377
the elemental stones and getting the new pokemon types are also serious flaws
>>
>>30863608
Ok, elemental stones not purchasable is a problem, but the new types helped alot to balance out the typechart.
>>
>>30863664
Same anon, actually, the no elemental stones isn't even a problem. Nitpick at best.
>>
>>30863704

It did drive me nuts when I wanted to use Ninetails back in the day though
>>
>>30863704
>can't evolve your favorite mon
>nitpick
>>
>>30863664
Reread what he said.
It's not the fact that they exist - it's actually ACQUIRING them. The only one that's anything close to being decently obtainable is Magnemite, with the others being version exclusives, trade evolutions, postgame, or evolved from the sole Eevee you get in game.
>>
>>30861959
this one is a lot more subjective than OP's image. Not saying I don't agree with it, but still
>>
>>30863854
You can breed the eevee, but you're pretty likely to fuck up evolving to umbreon if you don't know the secret the first time around.
And let's break down the steel/ghost distribution
Steel:
-Steelix, Trade evo needing an item you only get one of (who thought this was a good idea?)
-Scizor, as above, same item
-Forretress, Super forgettable, evolves from a semi rare pokemon that can only be gotten from headbutting trees. Oh, and that pokemon likes to explode IIRC
-Skarmory, VERSION EXCLUSIVE AND ON THE SECOND TO LAST ROUTE OF THE GAME. WHY
-Magneton line, HOPE YOU LIKE IT, CAUSE IT'S THE ONLY STEEL TYPE YOU CAN GET EASILY. Oh, and does this thing even LEARN any steel moves in gen 2? I honestly forget
Dark:
-Umbreon, as stated before, easy to fuck up
-Houndoom line, Postgame only, in one route, with a tiny patch of grass, at night only.
-Murkrow, As above
-Tyranitar, third stage evolution of a pokemon that not only evolves at a high level (Highest in the game IIRC) but also, it's only avaliable in ONE area in the postgame. This area just so happens to be considered the last area in the game. Fun
>>
>>30864051
Don't forget Sneasel! Who is also at Mt Silver and Right Before Mt Silver.
(I forgot about Forretress myself, honestly)
>>
>>30864210
Oh yeah. Sneasel kinda sucked in that game though, didn't sneasel have an abysmal move suite in GSC though?
>>
apricorn balls were useless and some effects didn't work at all
>>
>>30860179
>>30860367
>>30864051
>>30864520
If you like ROM hacks, Polished Crystal fixes most of this.
Red++ does the same for those Gen 1 problems.
>>
>>30864604
Nah. I'd rather not go back to gen 2. Even though I started in it, Gen 3 has my nostalgia (Although lugia will forever be one of my favorites)
>>
>>30864604
huh, that's interesting. Any other rom hacks like this? I might play Red++.
>>
>>30860179
>-day/night only pokemon
not a negative
>>
>>30864745
There's Nameless FireRed for Gen 3.
>>
>>30859993
Not popular enough, contrarianism doesn't give enough unearned smugness.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.