[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the hell happened to having puzzles in Pokemon games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

File: icepath1.png (5KB, 304x224px) Image search: [Google]
icepath1.png
5KB, 304x224px
What the hell happened to having puzzles in Pokemon games?
>>
>>30832738
Hurts kids and autists brains. Can't be having that in easy games
>>
>>30832738
There were never really real puzzles anyway. If you spent more than 5 minutes on one, you might be retarded
>>
>>30832738
They were too hard. We must make the games easier
>>
>>30832738
it is literally impossible to get stuck for any amount of time in gen 7

it took me a couple of tries to get the ice puzzle in sootopolis right in ORAS because I had forgotten it after 10 years, but at least it was a puzzle
>>
>>30832738
You grew up.
>>
>>30832738
It was always simple baby shit that was just fluff.
It's like people who complain that modern pokémon lacks exploration. Most people who replay the games usually always take the same path as last time.
>>
>>30832738
They went to Zelda where they belong. Who plays Pokemon for the puzzles?
>>
>>30832738
The internet created a need for instant gratification.

We saw it the most in Mass Effect 1. To open a locked container you needed to play a minigame. In ME2 all you needed to do was hit a button.
>>
Counterpoint: Paina Desert
>>
File: seafloorcave.png (5KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
seafloorcave.png
5KB, 240x160px
>>
>>30832855
>Who plays Pokemon for the puzzles?

Who plays Pokemon for the puzzles?
Who plays Pokemon for the music?
Who plays Pokemon for the graphics?
Who plays Pokemon for the waifus?
Who plays Pokemon for the story?
Who plays Pokemon for the battles?
Who plays Pokemon for the breeding?
>>
Seriously that was in my top 3 favorite things about pokemon.

Granted they were never really HARD but still they were fun.

Sucks that now that it's in 3d it's harder to have puzzles, unless you go the Zelda temple route but that may prove a bad decision what with the fact that you'd either have to buy a million repel or deal with a million annoying shits like golbats or something with sturdy.
>>
>>30833097

Or just do something reasonable like drop the encounter rate a little in the puzzle room.
>>
You didnt like the 3 password puzzle in the skull mansion?
>>
>>30832815
>it took me a couple of tries to get the ice puzzle in sootopolis right in ORAS because I had forgotten it after 10 years, but at least it was a puzzle
it wasn't even the same as it was in RSE
it was easier actually
>>
File: impossible puzzle.png (309KB, 594x392px) Image search: [Google]
impossible puzzle.png
309KB, 594x392px
>>30833069
Hoenn was weird
>>
>>30832753
>implying kids wouldn't just consult the internet
>implying autists don't deserve it for playing children games
>>
>>30833134
But I said like Zelda, Zelda doesn't have a puzzle room. The whole area is like one big puzzle, stuff you do in one room affects stuff in the other and everything fits together to open a path.
>>
Remember when we had to figure out Brail to get to catch legendaries?

Remember when you thought you were gonna get Raikou but then he pulled some bullshit where you're both on adjacent roads so every time you went towards him you just switched location?

Then Gen 4 happened and it was a fucking legendary fest.
>>
removing the grid was a miatake
>>
>>30833258
How is that impossible?
Push bottom centre one to the right, middle centre one up, then top left all the way up.
>>
Ice Path's puzzle fucked me up as a kid.

Victory Road is probably the worst thing about Sun/Moon. That mountain route doesn't count. Victory Roads used to be frustrating, annoying slogs that you would just want to fucking end and just when you were about to give up on these motherfucking Strength puzzles it'd finally be over, sometimes by your rival coming out of nowhere and BTFOing you.

I don't know if I actually miss that or not, but the absence is conspicuous.
>>
>>30833475
>bullshit where you're both on adjacent roads so every time you went towards him you just switched location

Gen 4 had more of this shit than any other generation.
>>
>>30833235
>it was easier actually
Wrong
>>
>>>30833811
In oras you can move diagonally so it's far easier and forgiving
>>
File: 911.jpg (15KB, 314x320px) Image search: [Google]
911.jpg
15KB, 314x320px
>>30833502
>missing the point this hard
>>
>>30832738

Too challenging for the current generation of children.

I'd like to see the people who say "the old games only seemed difficult because you were young!!!" defend this
>>
>>30832738
You didn't actually liked those fucking sliding puzzles, right? Every time an RPG adds one of those, it's a fucking slog.
>>
>>30832738
puzles on RSE are the best 4me
>>
>>30833258
hoenn was the best
>>
>>30832738
You say that like that picture is representative of the entire game it was taken from. Even in previous gens, there were barely any puzzles. And even then, they were all the same boring, easy, ice sliding puzzles, teleport puzzles, and rock pushing puzzles. The series has never been about that.
>>
>>30833258
I miss that double/single battle system so much
>>
>>30833497
>miatake
Am I the only one who laughed at this
>>
>>30834656
SM has literally zero puzzles. Shoving 3 rocks doesn't count.
>>
>>30834739
Shitto desert where you get to do weather cancer SOS for a gabite is kinda a puzzle.
>>
>>30834739
Yeah because, again, the series has never been about that. If they removed all of the puzzles from a Zelda game, then I think we would have reason to worry. But Pokemon? Who cares? Like I said, there were barely any to begin with and they weren't very good.
>>
>>30834799
Desert is cool, reminds me of turnback cave desu.

That being said, I'm pretty sure Game Freak has very little experience with creating puzzles that aren't based on a grid.
>>
>>30834811

>remove something that has literally been a staple of the series for 20 years
>"s-so what nobody ever really cared about those..."

there is no extent to which people won't defend GF.
>>
>>30834970
How are they a staple, you autist? How often do you see people saying things like "Hey, remember the puzzles in Gen 2? They were the best puzzles!". The only time anyone even brings up the puzzles in pokemon games around here is as another pointless thing to complain about for current gens.
>>
>>30834811
Just play Pokemon Showdown
>>
>>30835039

they are a staple because they were IN EVERY GAME.
>>
>>30835044
Or I could play Pokemon SM, since what you idiots are crying about is precisely that the puzzles that I don't give two shits about aren't in the game and so I don't really have a problem with it?

>>30835085
So were HMs and everyone hated them. What's your point? Like I said, no one fucking cared. Whining genwunner threads like this are the only times you ever see people talking about the puzzles. There's never any other kind of discussion about the puzzles.
>>
>>30835162

grasping at straws, nobody hates puzzles like people hated HMs. I don't think anyone was ever begging GF to get rid of puzzles.
>>
>>30835194
No, but they also weren't particularly enthusiastic about them. There really never is any discussion about them and they really weren't a big part of the game at all. Seriously, when's the last time you played one of the older games?
>>
>>30835233

I was playing Platinum a couple weeks before Sun/Moon came out. I played B2, HG, and Emerald earlier in the year. I play through some of the older games at least once or twice a year.
>>
File: 1409145897273.jpg (37KB, 497x859px) Image search: [Google]
1409145897273.jpg
37KB, 497x859px
>Get to that machamp block puzzle in the tapu shrine
>"man machamp is slow as balls and there's probably going to be a few rooms of this shit"
>there's just the one easy puzzle
>>
>>30835298
Good. Then you probably remember how few and far-between the puzzles are and how easy they all are. I think the only really involved puzzle in any Pokemon game was the Regi hunt in AS without a guide. Other than that, they're kind of mindless.
>>
File: 1438907370357.gif (909KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1438907370357.gif
909KB, 200x200px
>>30835356

>Clearly there's gonna be a puzzle
>You just move a block and the rest are for show

If that doesn't scream rushed...
>>
>>30835413

removing puzzles in Sun/Moon just made them feel even more linear and easy. I don't like their removal and I'm sure a lot of others don't either.
>>
>DPPt was supposed to have the Azure Flute, an event where you simply obtained the thing, were given the implication to go to Spear Pillar, go there, move up one tile and say yes to a prompt to play it to encounter and capture Arceus
>scrapped for being too confusing

>ORAS has Regigigas, who can only be fought at Daytime a day after capturing the last Regi with all three Regis in the party, and Regice must be nicknamed and be holding an Ice-related item and the only indication of what to do is a random NPC in Pacifidlog, the Literally Who Town of the game
>not to mention the other legendaries who require things like a Level 100 Pokemon, three Pokemon with all of their EV Points Spent, three Pokemon with max happiness, being on a random Mirage Island or carrying around fucking Castform with no indication whatsoever regarding anything, and then you need the version exclusive legends to get the third version's so good fucking luck trying to get such an endeavor to happen in the abyss known as GTS
>this is somehow acceptable
>>
>>30832738
Everything. Enjoy using Tauros to use Rock Smash, it isn't going away.
>>
>>30835604
Look, it's not that I enjoy removing content. But what I'm saying is that these puzzles are really not worth being mad about. If Pokemon caves were big, Zelda-like dungeons with puzzles that affect the whole thing and build up to something, then yes, that would be awesome. But that's never been the case. Things like the ice sliding puzzle in the OP are just disjointed wastes of time that are haphazardly thrown in to stall you. Hell, look at the puzzle in the OP again. It looks complicated when you just look at all the turns you have to take. But if you really look at it, you'll notice that the first few steps are actually unnecessary because you'll end up in the top right corner no matter what you do. And from there, the rest of the way consists of choosing between two directions (since a rock is always blocking one and another is the way you came from) and the solution is obvious. Not exactly a brain twister, is it? And that's one of the more complex puzzles. Most of them were just pushing rocks with Strength along the only possible path. Or the same 3 rocks lined up where you push the two to the sides first and then the middle one. You know the one. Is something as pointless as this really, really worth being nostalgic about?
>>
>>30835791
rock smash was never a puzzle anyway

use a better example like machamp
>>
you can only do so many sliding ice puzzles before they become predictable
>>
>>30834811
>who cares
>entire thread is about caring

sick meme, faggot
>>
>>30835606
There's no way all that stuff for ORAS is real
>>
>>30835939
It is real.
>>
>>30834158
Based Ron Damon.
>>
Everyone always bitched about them so now everything has to be totally brainless.
>>
File: 1480050740775.jpg (36KB, 600x581px) Image search: [Google]
1480050740775.jpg
36KB, 600x581px
>>30832738
>>30832738
>Gamefreak can't figure out how to make puzzles without using a grid system
>Gamefreak replaces gyms and their puzzles with trials and 12FPS totem battles
>realize the game is short as fuck without puzzles so they pad the game with hours of cutscenes
>there are human beings who consider this the best pokemon game
>>
>>30833235
It was exactly the same because I did it all at once by muscle memory alone and then dropped down to face all the trainers because I didn't want to miss any EXP.
>>
>>30835939
except it is
>>
>>30835985
It has Nihilego so it IS the best pokemon game.
>>
>>30835887
This isn't a thread about caring. This is a thread about "muh cut content". Most of the people saying idiotic things like "gotta dumb it down for the kids" don't actually remember any of this shit and how mindless it was. It's the same as people who were complaining about how they removed Join Avenue even though now we have it back and everyone hates it. Or the people complaining about how they removed the slot machines because "muh censorship" or the special rules in the Safari Zone even though they were possibly the two worst ways to get pokemon. So stop pretending to care about pointless things just to bitch about something.
>>
>>30836065
Lusamine pls go
>>
>>30836066
the difference is that join avenue didn't force you to go through it if you wanted clothes because of some retarded version exclusive clothing rule. it also did not add pointless shit to interfere with the online of the previous game, nor did was getting shops entirely fucking random. plus, you forget join avenue actually let you upgrade shops.

That's like saying "Hey, let me order a sandwich, i'll have the usual, like i had yesterday" at your favorite deli, and they respond by shitting into your open mouth. however, your usual isn't having shit deposited directly into your mouth, it is a sandwich. the shit is a downgrade in every way.
>>
>>30836188
No, because B/W didn't even have clothes. Getting shops was just as random, since you mostly got them from guests, which is the easiest way to get them now too. Except then, you actually had to level them up with the requests, which was even more random. And we didn't have Wonder Trade, so getting visitors was more of a pain. If anything, Join Avenue was even worse.
>>
>>30832738
8+ directional movement killed them.
>>
>>30835831
I specifically remember it fucking you over if you mess up a strength puzzle with it in RSE Victory Road.
But c'mon. I don't want straight paths that branch off for dungeons. This isn't my prescription doc.
>>
>enter the desert in Sun
>don't know what the fuck is going on
>hate it
>look up a guide online

I've gotten dumber and less patient.
>>
>>30836065
Pedophile detected
>>
>>30836066
>defending Festival Plaza
Good lord.
>>
>>30836390
I'm not defending Festival Plaza, retard. Read the posts properly. I'm saying that Join Avenue was even worse, but it's mostly the same shit that everyone hated then, people started whining about when it got removed next gen, and now everyone gets a chance to hate all over again.
>>
I don't really care for sliding puzzles in the main story, but I do kind of miss postgame ones. Finding the Regis as a child with no easy internet access in Ruby and raiding the whole of the Abyssal Ruins in White 2 are some of my most cherished memories from both games. I thought I was going to get something similar with the Tapus but their puzzles fell so disastrously short that they might as well not have even been there.
>>
File: 1469586087652.png (325KB, 553x449px) Image search: [Google]
1469586087652.png
325KB, 553x449px
>people would want dumb shit like all of Silph Co. back

I am glad most of the tedium is mostly cut out.
>>
>>30836678
Tapu puzzle being so ehh is disappointing but there's always gunna be that vocal minority that'll complain.... Le sigh.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.