[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just got Sun and the linear-ness is killing me. I just want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: Mimikyu_1.png (607KB, 2167x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Mimikyu_1.png
607KB, 2167x2000px
I just got Sun and the linear-ness is killing me. I just want to train these pokes so I don't have to rely on my starter all the time, but there's always some NPC dragging me from place to place.

Does it open up more later and let me do my own shit or is it linear like this the whole game?
>>
its linear if you always immediately follow the objective, yes

you can explore all you want
>>
>>30827248
The post game is slightly less linear.
>>
>>30827290
>you can explore all you want
This is basically what I want. So later on every time I walk out of my house there won't be somebody waiting to yell at me if I try to go in any other direction?
>>
>>30827324
Sounds like you're barely an hour in, out course it's going to be super linear that early in. It's an rpg
>>
>>30827526
Pokemon wasn't this linear before.
>>
>>30827248
good think you realize now that pokemon games have always been linear
>>
>>30827557
Not overbearingly though because they had minimal stories, right out the gate you had plenty of time to just run around and train/explore while taking the game at your own pace.

This game is taking forever just to get through the basics and the NPCs scream at me for wanting to go grind my level 3-5 Pokemon before I run into grass full of level 7s.
>>
>>30827547
Yes it has, all of them have except for maybe RBGY because I guess you aren't hand held to get oaks paracel or whatever it was
>>
>all Pokemon games are super linear
>I HATE S&M'S LINEARITY

if you were complaining about the hour long unskippable tutorial I'd give you a point
>>
>>30827547

Someone's never played Gen 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, or 1 before.
>>
>>30827634
I mean, if that's what it is then that's what I'm complaining about. I'm basically asking if it ever stops being an unskippable handhold.

I've played Mario & Luigi Dream Team, I know what current Nintendo is capable of.
>>
>>30827646
>Nintendo
>>
>>30827634
B-But I can do some gyms out of order in some games therefore they're super open all the time.
>>
>>30827602the
no, this is as linear as ever (wich isnt bad) , the only diferrence is this time the story is good
>>
>>30827646
>Nintendo
>>
>>30827248
a little bit but it stays pretty linear for the whole game. the whole 'walk 10 steps, read a bunch of text, walk 10 more steps and get more text' keeps going throughout the game

there's also very little in terms of side paths to explore
>>
>>30827248
It's as linear as the last couple of generations have been. I would say it less linear than XY since I feel like it has more optional areas like just Hau'oli Cemetery, Seaward Cave, Kala'e Bay, Ten Carat Hill and Melemele Sea on the first island, even if all of them individually are rather small. If you're looking for big dungeons then they're completely absent expect from Vast Poini Canyon.

The game does feel more linear but that's mostly because it has a lot more dialogue obligatory dialogue than previous ones, rather than actually being more linear. It has decreases what's left up to your imagination as well as the replay value.

The kind of free roam from gen I where you can basically explore the whole mid-game in whatever fashion you want you'll have to look a long way after, but pokémon games haven't really been like that ever since gen III.
>>
>>30827640
Someone has definitely not played Gen 1 before.
>>
>>30827659
>>30827669
Are we pretending Game Freak doesn't make Nintendo games?
>>
>>30827764
>>30827660
>>
>>30827767
No we're knowing Nintendo doesn't make Pokemon games.
>>
everyone got the concept, this thread is now close
>>
>>30827248
It stops being so hand-holdy once you hit the second island.
>>
>>30827783
And? They still follow Nintendo's design philosophies when making the iconic franchise exclusively for Nintendo consoles. Are you pretending Nintendo doesn't own the trademark for Pokemon? Or that Pokemon games aren't published by The Pokemon Company which is owned in part by Nintendo?

Are you claiming it's a coincidence that Pokemon games became tutorial heavy at the same time as Nintendo's RPG franchises?
>>
>>30827774
Stuttering doesn't make that any less true.
>>
>>30827809
No, people need to complain about how Pokemon has never been open world even though nobody ever claimed it was.
>>
>>30827844
Not really saying any of that, I'm saying Nintendo doesn't make Pokemon games.
>>
>>30827868
Nobody claimed otherwise though, so what is your point?
>>
>>30827877
That Nintendo doesn't make Pokemon games.
>>
>>30827896
But nobody ever claimed otherwise.
>>
File: tyuirtyuirt.jpg (59KB, 400x241px) Image search: [Google]
tyuirtyuirt.jpg
59KB, 400x241px
>>30827856
its our nature
>>
>>30827905
Okay.
>>
>>30827660
Nobody is saying super open, nor even open world.
Just that they were less linear, which the first games absolutely were.
>>
>People making rebuttals to things nobody said
>the thread
>>
File: metal gear rising.jpg (47KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
metal gear rising.jpg
47KB, 360x240px
>>30827961
>He actually thought Nintendo made Pokemon games
>>
>>30827961
Welcome to /vp/, where every discussion boils down to who can throw the most strawmen at the other.
>>
Are the people in this thread just kids that think the only thing a game can be is open world or linear because of modern open world memes?

A game can have varying amounts of linearity but still be a linear game.
>>
>>30827764
>gen 1 remakes
>beat surge
>leave gym, misty appears
>Hey now that you have all the badges meet me at that weird tree, I put it on your map
>go north to cerulean
>cut scene triggers of misty cutting down the tree
>meet me at rock tunnel now :)
>get to rock tunnel
>cut scene with misty plays
>hurrr I'm scared help me get through the cave
>whole cave is double battles with misty's starmie using surf and winning every match for you while misty heals you
>rock tunnel redesigned to be just 2 floors and no darkness
>get to lavender town
>gary appears
>why don't you meet me at that spooky tower for a battle? smell you later
>area blocked in by tauros until you battle him
>after battle
>looks like you can't catch ghosts here! you will need the silph scope, which you will find in the game corner in celedon city! I put it on your map
>get to celedon, a cut scene starts immediately and gary takes you to the game corner
>something is fishy! I bet team rocket is here! Why don't you check behind that poster?
>>
>>30828122
Kek
I wouldn't even be mad, though.
>>
>>30828122
Map marking aside, this eerily resembles how Pokemon games have been ever since BW.
>>
File: 1426823068106.gif (176KB, 517x343px) Image search: [Google]
1426823068106.gif
176KB, 517x343px
>>30828122
>mfw I can absolutely see this happening
>>
>>30827547
Yes it was, you just didn't have an npc telling you where to go.
>>
File: SuspiciousPokemon2.jpg (59KB, 477x431px) Image search: [Google]
SuspiciousPokemon2.jpg
59KB, 477x431px
>REEE WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT! LET ME EXPLORE GODDAMMIT FUCKING GAMEFREAK
>>
>>30828588
Are you autistic by any means?
Just because an NPC gives you hint where to go next does not mean you have to do so. Many of these characters that tell you information like that were optional too. Even the most open games have people asking you to go here or there. If the game actually enforces it is what matters.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.