[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wtf

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

Where do all these battlefags come from? This used to be a comfy place.
>>
>>30825502
Battling is a part of Pokemon.
>>
Newfag
>>
>>30825521
To be more specific where did all these smogonfags come from?
>>
File: 1481260349239.png (80KB, 355x369px) Image search: [Google]
1481260349239.png
80KB, 355x369px
>>30825502
Literally the biggest and main focus of the games, anime, trading card games, etc.

>"Why are people talking about it so much, lol."
>>
>being retarded
>>
not even worth any (You)s

kill yourself
>>
>>30825544
What's wrong with smogonfags? It makes sense that players want to get more into competitive since it's about the time in the cycle when most players finish in-game and want to battle.
>>
>>30825628
Pokemon is not meant to be a competitive game. If you take it seriously you should literally nuke yourself
>>
>>30825628
well, there are some people here thinks that Pokemon can not be a real competitive game.
>>
>>30825628
>following some fan made meme rules
>faggot spergs out cause I put 2 of his pokemon to sleep

What a joke
>>
>>30825645
Why? Because you say so? You could apply the faults of competitive Pokemon to many sports.

>>30825654
Competition is fun and puts your building to the test.
>>
>>30825628
i would like to battle but i don't want to battle only using celesteela and the tapus. crazy, huh
>>
>>30825628
>Pokemon
>Competitive
Chose one
>>
>>30825666
Well, Satan, Smogon wasn't the first to implement a sleep clause. Pokemon Stadium had a sleep clause too. GF itself has taken more preventative measures against sleep because they acknowledge it as a problem, hence the Dark Void nerfs, Electric Terrain, and Misty Terrain.

>>30825699
That happens in VGC too. Crazy, huh?
>>
>>30825696
There is nothing competitive with smogon. Its just a fan made try hard bullshit mess. how is it fun seeing the same set of pokemon over and over in one team??? there is literally no variety.
Pokemon is not meant to be competitive its unbalanced because its a child game
>>
>>30825628
Vgc - muh genies
Smogon-muh protean
Top kek
>>
>>30825696
>Competition is fun and puts your building to the test.

yes, i know. I play competitive for myself. You just don't want to stir up a debate here in /vp/ about competitive.
>>
>>30825740
You sound like a definitive outsider, considering Smogon is far more diverse than VGC. The reason tiers exist is to further allow diversity within each tier so that Pokemon can shine better in each, but it's not restricting you from using lower tiered mons in the higher tier, since they can and do have functionality there.

There's nothing tryhard about it, considering every measure taken is done to try and bring some semblance of balance to the 6v6 metagame, something GF gave up on long ago.
>>
>>30825789
I don't mind talking about it, since they're all uneducated on the matter. Usually when one of the (non-bait) Smogon bashing threads would come up, I'd clarify all the misconceptions they'd have. It's pretty pathetic that this community is so poor at battling. I wish I had been there when that famous footballer came here to battle and went like 13-0 and finally lost to a guy who challenged him again and with a literal counterteam.
>>
>>30825645
How do you nuke yourself? I don't have access to nuclear weapons.
>>
>>30825734
i don't give a shit about vgc either. i just like playing with friends
>>
>>30825856
They will defend being shitters in various reasons, they hate being a hivemind (like /r/pokemon), yet they spout bullshit and be a collective of contrarian autists themselves.
>>
>>30825793
>The reason tiers exist is to further allow diversity within each tier
In theory yes, but we all know everything centralizes at some point and everyone is using the same top Pokemon of their tier
>>
>>30825856
>famous footballer
He was a third string lineman who got dropped from the league after 3 years. Not famous at all. But yes he was sweeping everyone with a Honchcrow
>>
>>30825699
Then play UU
>>
>>30825905
Yeah it makes me question where they come from, since there always seems to be more. I agree. I just don't like to condone it when I see it, since if it discourages any furthering of it in some capacity it feels good. Especially considering they even went and scared off /cpg/ with their torches and pitchforks.

>>30825936
Some Pokemon may be more effective and reliable than others, but the pool is still open to a healthy number when the metagame has calmed down. There's also room for adapting, but some people just like to complain in the moment since they're too lazy to effect change and just want to look up for instructions, i.e. people complaining about stall after the Hoopa-U ban until M-Hera was ''''''''''''''''''''''discovered'''''''''''''''''''''''''.

>>30825956
Well famous enough for him to be featured in #Pokemon20 but yeah that guy.
>>
>>30825882
>having friends at all
kys
>>
>>30825628
Autists with different opinions will always be at odds with each other.
>>
>>30825740
Smogon is the most diverse metagame that competitive Pokemon has.

It's a literal fact (just look up usage stats) that more people use different mons in Smogon.
>>
File: 1481819638790.jpg (89KB, 325x433px) Image search: [Google]
1481819638790.jpg
89KB, 325x433px
>>30825699
>>30825740
I can't believe how many people still don't know what they're fucking talking about.

The whole point of Smogon is to make competitive Pokemon fun and balanced, they even make tiers so that you can use your bros in a format where they won't get squashed by the better species like what Battle Spot allows.

I wish GF had more of their mindset, or at least included matchmaking for 6v6 singles/doubles.
>>
>>30828934
Never mind everything else, how long has it been now and we still can't queue up a random 6v6? Why? For what purpose? Is it so difficult to include both 3v3 and 6v6?

Fucking Gamefreak, I swear to god.
>>
>>30825645
90% of competitive games weren't meant to be. Get over it. You can still enjoy comfy shit, just ignore VGC or Smogon shit
>>
>>30829047
They are just afraid of making the same mistake, remember ñ the wobbuffet vs wobbuffet incident? This was the turning point.
>>
>>30828934
>The whole point of Smogon is to make competitive Pokemon fun and balanced

Except in the end everyone ends up using the same teams and pokemon anyways.

The problem with turn based games like Pokemon is the dominant strategy.
You have no reason to step outside of it.

The true idea of competition is the POSSIBILITY of winning with whatever you want as long as you have enough skill (say, Fighting Games) and this isn't the case with Pokemon.

800 Pokemon and only the same 10 are usable.
>>
>>30829129
>800 Pokemon and only the same 10 are usable.

To paraphrase everyone else in the thread, "This is why tiers exist"
>>
>>30829155

Tiers don't work for Pokemon.

In Street Fighter, even Low Tier characters can win against S if the player is good enough.
Tiers in Pokemon aren't inclusive and limit who can fight who and god forbid using your favorite low pokemon against Celesteela.

On other news, I'm fucking sick of this captcha. I check every traffic sign and still gives me some other shit to check.
>>
>>30829208
Why would you be battling Celesteela if you're playing in a lower tier?
That makes no sense.
>>
>>30829129
Tiers alleviate this, battle spot and VGC don't have this and it is a complete cluster fuck of 15 mons at it's best.

I love shit like Quagsire, they can be used in multiple tiers as your middle finger to physical set up sweepers from NU - OU . Something being low tier yet having a viable niche is the best of both worlds.
>>
>>30829129
At least tiers give mons that aren't Uber or upper OU the chance to be used though. One of the reasons VGC is infinitely known for the "healthy meta" memes is because there is only one "tier"
>>
>>30829208
Tiers (or restrictions or clauses or whatever you prefer to call them) are the only way to attempt any sort of balance, so by default they work?
>>
>>30829208

captcha is the fucking worst, especially these new ones.

>trace the outline of this sign
>sign is a circle
>only allowed to use straight lines
>>
>>30828934
>The whole point of Smogon is to make competitive Pokemon fun and balanced, they even make tiers so that you can use your bros in a format where they won't get squashed by the better species like what Battle Spot allows.
It's pretty safe to say they failed there.
>>
>>30829230
Because I have favorite pokemon I'd rather to use?
>>
>>30829208
Tiers aren't about strength, they are about usage, that's a better metric.

You are thinking about tiers in fighting games, not about Smogon tiers wich are about viability and splashability on team construction.

The only reason an NU mon would go against a Celesteela US because you brought an NU mon to an OU fight, probably because you liked it instead of it having a real niche on your team, if it doesn't work it is your fault.
>>
>>30829290
If you're playing in RU, the opponent literally cannot use Celesteela because Celesteela is an OU pokemon.
>>
>>30829208
except Tiers in Smogon are extremely different than most fighting games.

Tier lists for Smash or SF are basically just a ranking of who's easy to win with or not, but there's not separate tier fights like Smogon.

In Smogon tiers, they prevent overpowered shit from being brought down to lower tiers so you can still reasonably use your favorite without getting fucked by Mega Rayquaza. And if you really want to you can bring lower tier mons into higher tiers. I use a Tsareena in OU doubles despite her not being OU
>>
There's nothing to do in the games anymore but battle other players so it's no surprise
>>
>>30829290
>but muh favorites

literally the only game where people complain about using their favorites in top tier play. Imagine if some professional poker player started complaining about how the 2 of spades is his favorite but he has to fold it every hand so the game isn't fair. that's literally what you sound like right now
>>
>>30829331
I also use Tsareena in OU singles, u turn on an anti priority spinner is just too good for my team, the added bonus of fucking bulky grounds and in general working well with spdef Marowak is nice.

Tsareena niche is small but useful.
>>
>>30829327
>>30829322
And why would your friend next door care about Smogon tiers?
People just want to battle each other, they don't care for that shit.
>>
>>30829290
Than play your favorite in the tier it belongs in if it can't handle Celesteela (or run a good counter to it)

It's not that hard
>>
>>30829371
So you're saying I'm NOT ALLOWED to have a favorite pokemon?
I'm not allowed to LIKE THINGS?
>>
>>30829396
Then it doesn't matter, since you're playing against friends. What are you arguing?
>>
>>30829396
Smogon rules are only enforced on Pokemon Showdown you dumb fuck.
Those rules are not for playing on cart.
>>
>>30829420

just because you like something doesn't mean you're entitled to win with it. some pokemon just suck, it's okay to like them, but don't be mad if you lose because you chose to use them over something else
>>
File: 1481776641987.png (324KB, 529x372px) Image search: [Google]
1481776641987.png
324KB, 529x372px
>>30829396
Then just battle without worrying about tiers, jesus christ.

Smogon rules only apply to showdown.
>>
>>30829396
Why would my friend next door care? Sorry chicks never cared about games in my hood. But my coworkers and students love smogon, heck I was introduced to smogon in high school and it made everything better than people just trying to see who could set up their Darkrai first.

Dunno man, people have to actually beg for a double battle in my city, almost everyone just prefers smogon OU or NU of all things when we meet up to play on Sundays at our local gaming plaza.
>>
>>30825699
did you even watch the EU VGC streams?
Fuck off.
>>
I play competitive pokemon
for fun
>>
>>30825699
Then ideally you want to play on a lower tier like UU, on Smogon.

Really makes you think.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.