[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you could break the traditional Fire-Water-Grass starters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 8

File: fighting-dark-psychic.png (420KB, 2386x1232px) Image search: [Google]
fighting-dark-psychic.png
420KB, 2386x1232px
If you could break the traditional Fire-Water-Grass starters with three different type that are strong/weak each other, what would it be? Mines would be Fighting, dark, and psychic because why not
>>
>>30794149
Rock-Flying-Fighting
>>
Steel-Ice-Ground, in a heavily industrialized region.
>>
>>30794149
>Mines
Are you a literal preschooler?
>>
Ghosts and Psychics, i wish they were glass cannons to each other, would make a fun rivalry
>>
>>30794149
Fairy, fighting, steel
Rock, fighting, flying
just noticed fighting-type is in a lot of these triads
>>
>>30794208

>I wish they were glass cannons to each other

what did you mean by this
>>
Bug/fighting/rock
>>
File: guess the city.jpg (501KB, 1750x1150px) Image search: [Google]
guess the city.jpg
501KB, 1750x1150px
>>30794192
I can totally see that.
>>
>>30794149
Pikachu Totodile Rock form of charziard.
>>
>>30794192
I think Rock would fit better than steel because of resistances.
>>
>>30794247
>bug is SE against figting
you tried
>>
>>30794149
>why not
>Alakazam used Psychic!
>It doesn't affects enemy Tyranitar...

Here's why.
>>
>>30794233
ignore what i said, it made no sense
>>
You aren't original op.

Back when gen2 was being announced, WAY before any of you faggots were born, and they announced the dark type, a good majority of us pokefans were under the impression we'd get psychic fighting and dark.
>>
>>30794225
And people who
Don't speak English as their 1st language, /pol/
>>
>>30794334
>WAY before any of you faggots were born
Anon please, you're projecting.

>a good majority of us pokefans
Nope, I just want to play more pokemon and was surprise that I got to the pokemon league eariler than expected, then got blown away that Kanto exist. Beside, most of the dark pokemon don't really appear until way too late
>>
Ground Poison ...
Holy fuck was poison seriously only super effective against grass before fairies came along?
>>
>>30794233

He wishes that they were both super-effective against each other.

I actually think that Fighting/Rock/Flying might be the only other 'perfect' triangle, where each one has the advantage over its counterpart in both offense and defense (without going to an immunity, like Fighting/Psychic/Dark).
>>
>>30794149
I would add a new type instead

Light type

Water is immune to it because light goes through water

Steel is immune to it because light reflects off metal

ghosts are weak to it

dark is weak to it

uh, idk from there
>>
I think fighting, dark, psychic would be a good trio.
Just that a lot of fire starters are also part fighting.
They should seriously branch out from the fire/grass/water shtick, there's only so many ways you can spin it, and considering how many fire starters are part fighting it's clear they're hitting that wall hard.
It's not like they've never acknowledged starters other than those three, in the show and in yellow gary gets an eevee and ash a pikachu.
>>
>>30794386
... Your response literally makes no sense in the context of my post.
>>
>>30794410
Not him but I usually take into account two points
-dual type
-the fact you start out with a normal attack and gain some attack that isn't the main type
>>
>>30794407
It was super effective against bug in gen 1
>>
Fairy
Dark
Ghost
>>
>>30794410
This anon
>>30794407
Just provided another.
>>
>>30794462
Yeah I mean I knew that but god damn I never realized poison had it that bad. Are they tied with ice for worst typing?
>>
>>30794430
shut uuuuuuup
>>
>>30794509
>What is Normal
>>
If we don't care about the original three being used then how about

Fire>Ice>Ground

For a prehistoric caveman pokemon game?
>>
>>30794430
Do Ghost and Dark really need a new weakness? Does Steel or Water need an immunity?
No.
>>
>>30794585
Correction,

Does Steel need another Immunity?
>>
>>30794462
It's understandable why someone might forget that.
Since all the bugs in gen1 have the durability of wet paper, and are weak to half a dozen other things including fire and flying which were far more common.
>>
>>30794546
Another shit typing I guess? At least they get more attention compared to ice or poison. It took 7 gens before we got our very first poison legendary, that's sad
>>
Steel-Rock-Fire
>>
>>30794149
It's almost like gen 6 already did this.
>>
>Steel/Dark
>Poison/Fighting
>Ghost/Psychic
Each has a double weakness to their better
All generally sinister type combinations
Poison/Fighting kinda gets shafted having no immunity though
>>
>>30794149
>>30794177
>>30794209
>>30794247
>>30794433
we've already had enough fire-fighting starters to invalidate keeping the fighting type in the running
>>
>>30794279
Fuck
Rock/Bug/Grass
>>
>>30794557
Only if when they do that, they also do the Ice type a favor and give it some actual resistances, including to Ground.
>>
>>30794662
Also evos will be Steel/Water - Rock/Electric - Fire/Ground
>>
>>30794718
poison has toxic immunity and absorbs toxic spikes, still pretty shitty comparatively
>>
>>30794736
>>30794718
>give it levitate
>>
>>30794149
Grass - Ground - Poison
>>
>>30794334

lol okay bud we are all REAL impressed
>>
>>30794773
yeah but that's not immunity against one of the other starters. Steel/Dark getting immunity to both the Poison in Poison/Fire and the Psychic in Ghost/Psychic is what fucks it up hardest. But the resistances are rarely actually balanced by the final forms for starters anyhow. I mean, hell, Torterra ended up having SE STAB ground against Infernape while Empoleon took normal damage from Fire.
>>
File: 1425244155105.gif (1MB, 552x434px) Image search: [Google]
1425244155105.gif
1MB, 552x434px
Dragon, Dragon and Dragon

Also I got Ghost, Ghost, and Ghost.
>>
>>30794803
Good babby.
>>
what if we had something other than 3 starters
>>
>>30794816
Dragon, Dragon, Dragon
evolve into
Dragon Grass, Dragon Water, Dragon Fire
>>
>>30794149
>why not
Because dark is 100% immune to psychic, making psychic the worst choice.
>>
>>30794853
Our own Nebby?
>>
>>30794858
when has resistance/immunity ever mattered in starter balance? what retard tries to hit the rival starter with their stab move?
>>
>>30794858
Just make its ability an auto Miracle Eye
>>
>>30794858
Well, Pokemon Prism is going to just give you larvitar right at the start.
>>
>>30794886
Fuck meant to post >>30794853
>>
>>30794858
Like all starter, they would just use tackle or scratch and learn some attack that is usually NOT in their main type. Actually, when I think about it, majority of any starter pokemon's attack aren't their main type attack but either normal, what they look like (any bird starter with peck ever) or their dual type.
>>
>>30794874
It's not balanced. It's not "mattered" previously because no starter has never had an immunity to another starter before.
Also, you're probably too young to remember this, but they used to give your rival the starter that BEATS yours. In those days, fighting/psychic/dark would make it literally impossible to beat the rival when you get your starter because they'd be immune to your only attack.
>>
>>30794430
Light and Dark are weak to eachother. It's weak to Ice Ghost and Ground.
Ice needs a good nerf
Ghost just makes sense in my head.
If your underground you can't see sunlight.
>>
Electric - Steel - Grass

A triangle where no type is SE on each other, but there are resists to the next type in the triangle.
>>
File: 250px-658Greninja.png (33KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-658Greninja.png
33KB, 250x250px
>>30794942
>no starter has never had an immunity to another starter before
>>
>>30794430
>light type meme
Literally kill yourself. Like, actually commit suicide.
>>
>>30794961
I like it
>>
>>30794285
>every time game freak wants to balance a type, it ends up vastly overreacting
>>
make Dragon super effective v. Normal
make Normal super effective v. Fairy

Normal>Dragon>Fairy starters
>>
>>30794942
If you're still trying to blindly play your age like you think it actually matters you're most likely on some cusp age like 18/19, 21, or 25. Either that or you're just emotionally stunted.
>>
>>30795022
>Drampa
>Goomy used Dragon Breath
>>
>>30795035
>18/19, 21, or 25
Point being those are all ironically still stupidly young
>>
>>30795035
>still
I'm not that other guy.
Also, the fact that you're so triggered by people implying that you're underage is pretty telling.
>>
>>30794149
Nope. Psychic has no effect on Dark, while Dark is not very effective on Fighting and Fighting is not very effective against Psychic.

The full triangle doesn't work perfectly, and would cause an "unfair" bias towards the dark type.
>>
>>30795005
>Water/Dark
>Fire/Psychic
>No Immunity
try again
>>
>>30794723
Water/Fighting Skink
Fire/Fairy Rabbit
Grass/Steel Alpaca
>>
>>30794983
Don't take into account secondary typings.

The Sinnoh starters could all OHKO each other hilariously enough because of their secondary typings (and given Empoleon running Ice Beam)
>>
>>30795099
Or, better yet,
Fighting Skink
Fairy Rabbit
Steel Alpaca
>>
>>30795050
You lack basic reading comprehension. The "still" isn't referencing a previous post, there is no previous post it could even possibly reference. It's saying that if [at your age] you still think your age is important, it's most likely indicative of you only recently reaching an age where you no longer feel looked down on as a child; hence the specific selection of ages. The alternative of being emotionally stunted suggests that if you feel the need to emphasize your age at any point beyond that, it's indicative of internalized insecurity rather than external pressures.
>>
>>30794149
Electric, ground and flying.

Even if flying isn't SE it still is immune to ground.
>>
>>30795123
Yeah, that was the point being made about resistance not mattering in type triangles. whether the types themselves resist in a full cycle is irrelevant because the actual pokemon typings can unbalance it.
>>
>>30795144
Good work, champ. Thing is, I don't think *my* age is important, I think the fact that you're either a 12 year old who puts effort into grammar or your first Pokemon game was Go invalidates any opinions you have on the subject.
>>
Water/Flying flying fish
Fire/Ice scorpion
Grass/Steel pangolin
>>
>>30795187
If you're trying to put someone down based on their age, it could only possibly be because you're holding yourself above them relatively speaking. Your emphasis on your own age is implicit, and if it somehow weren't the entire argument falls apart. You're apparently as bad as simple logic as you are at following a simple sentence.
>>
File: original.jpg (37KB, 500x412px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
37KB, 500x412px
>>
>>30795185
The primary typings gotta match man, you can't have them not be symmetric
>>
>>30795239
Oh boy, these times. Back when we had so little information of DP even after only a couple months before release. That rumour of the starters being Dark/Psychic/Fighting. Nowadays we know the whole dex as soon as the game is revealed.
>>
>>30794736

I still don't understand why ice is weak to rock, when rock should be weak to ice for the same reason that water is.
>>
>>30795389
If you throw a rock at ice the ice will crack.
>>
>>30794856
Severely fucking underrated would be cool as fuck.
>>
>>30795419

Water freezing inside rocks erodes the rocks.
>>
>>30794942
Anon, most starters have Scratch and Tackle as starting moves. It wouldn't matter at until later on and even then you will most likely have caught other mons. So again, why complain ?
>>
>>30795389
Rock is kinda odd, both offensively and defensively.

I don't get why Rock beats Fire.
Resisting it makes sense, but you don't put out a fire by throwing stones at it.
>>
>>30795547
>drop a rock on a fire
>fire put out
>build a rock circle while camp
>block fire from escaping and air from coming in
>>
>>30794509
No it's too good defensively to be considered bad.
>>
>>30794430
>both transparence and reflection make you immune to light
congrats anon the entire universe is immune to the new light type
>>
>>30795701

>Very hot fire
>rock melts
>>
>>30794256
are you the same Norilskposter from pgg?
>>
File: starter_final_evolutions_large.jpg (162KB, 1800x764px) Image search: [Google]
starter_final_evolutions_large.jpg
162KB, 1800x764px
Damn, good idea. They should totally make starters that have the types Fighting, Psychic, and Dark
>>
File: you.jpg (73KB, 700x701px) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
73KB, 700x701px
>>30796659
>very cold ice
>everything dies

>very hot fire
>everything dies

>very high current
>everything melts
>>
>>30799108
>using shitty, inaccurate fanart in a post in which you're trying to sound cool
>>
>>30795439
that's why ice is SE on ground
>>
>>30794149
>Machamp and Alakazam are both 3 stages with their final forms evolving from trade
>Houndoom is a duel type, and only has two stages
>Alakazam and Houndoom both have megas, but Machamp doesn't
>they have different BSTs
>Dark has an immunity to psychic, and neither of the other two types have an immunity.

Sorry, but this trio is triggering my autism
>>
>>30794462
>>30794611
Don't forget that being weak to poison was essentially pointless gen 1, since most bugs were poison types themselves and thus poison ended up being neutral overall. On top of the other problems.
They should've removed one of bug's other weaknesses (probably Rock)
Or made Water weak to Poison.
>>30795918
Being weak to Earthquake is never good defensively.
>>
>>30794334
I'm calling comet bullshit on this. They never announced there would be a new dark type until after the starters were released. Also, they didn't say what the type effectiveness of dark would be, so there is no way you could have speculated that combo.
>>
>>30794475
Nice, except fairies aren't weak to Ghost, and ghost doesn't resist fairy.
>>
electric - normal - ice

flying - poison - dark
>>
>>30794585
>ghost
>the only type with two type immunities
>also has an effect immunity
>only one weakness besides itself
>doesn't need "another" weakness
>>
>>30794858
yep, because stab moves are the only thing Pokémon get access too.

it's rough trying to beat Blastoise with the Charizard who whole has Fire moves that the game literally forces you to use without any other options.
>>
Next trio should be Ghost/Ghost/Ghost
>>
>>30794149
>Dragon/Dragon/Dragon
>Ghost/Ghost/Ghost
>Normal/Normal/Normal

>Ice/Ground/Rock
>Rock/Flying/Fighting
>Fairy/Fighting/Steel

All of these are more balanced than what you posted, OP. The best one would still be Grass/Water/Fire, but they need to buff grass up a bit.
>>
Next trio will be Light, Sound and Glass

Light > Sound (Light is faster than sound)
Sound > Glass (Sound breaks Glass)
Glass > Light (Glass distorts Light)

What do you think? :^)
>>
>>30794264
You have to be 18 or older to post on this site.
>>
>>30794443
Seems fair given your post literally makes no sense in the context of the thread.
>>
>2014+2
>People still don't understand the balance dynamic of Fire/Water/Grass
FUCK my autism is being triggered by you niggers.

The starter trios typings go in both directions.
Fire is strong against Grass AND resists it.
Grass is strong against Water AND resists it.
Water is strong against Fire AND resists it.

It's literally the only type triangle in the game that does so. OPs doesn't work because DARK is objectively better than the other starters, due to being immune instead of just resistant.

All of them also resist themselves, are neutral to normal types, and are all resisted by dragons, but those points have become less relevant over the years, now that the champions aren't dragon type only and route 1 mons are more than just normal types.

That said I wouldn't be opposed to new types being added that form a basic trio with other types, and using those for the starters
>>
>>30794856
Yes fucking please.

Dragon/Rock, Dragon/Flying, Dragon/Fighting is also acceptable.
>>
File: type triangles.jpg (114KB, 839x588px) Image search: [Google]
type triangles.jpg
114KB, 839x588px
If i had the choice:
>Water (final evo gets volt absorb)
>Ground (final evo gets storm drain)
>Electric (final evo gets levitate/flying typing)
>>
>Water/Rock
>Grass/Flying
>Fire/__:^)___
>>
Maybe we can just move away from the starter triangle crap?
>>
>>30801338
You have to be white.

Have sex, gain height.
>>
You know what I would love to see? A convergent evolution Pokémon. Like a reverse eevee type deal.

Starters are still Fire/Water/Grass for their first stage. Pure typing. Stage 2 becomes Fire/Dragone, Water/Dragon, and Grass/Dragon. Third stage is Dragon. Not three different dragons, just a single dragon that all 3 starters can evolve into. Learns tri-attack upon evolving even though that's Fire/Ice/Electric

Your choice of starter affects your final move pool, but not the actual Pokémon.
>>
No starter choice. You get Eevee.
>>
>>30794192
Would we make Ice resist ground?
Would Ice gain a resistance for the first time?
>>
>>30801877
But which starter do you get when you breed it? One at random, or the one you started with? What if you breed two of the final together that started from two different initial starters? Are any of the levelup moves egg moves?
Thread posts: 120
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.