[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Dragon types really overpowered before fairies were introduced?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

File: 149Dragonite.png (120KB, 431x431px) Image search: [Google]
149Dragonite.png
120KB, 431x431px
Was Dragon types really overpowered before fairies were introduced?
>>
>>30786727
yes
>>
>>30786727
Yes. To give you an idea, there was a viable strategy pre gen 6 that consisted of using a team of 5 dragons and a magnezone. You'd use the magnezone to remove any steel types on the opponent's team, and then just spam outrage/draco meteor until you won.
>>
If Dragonite DDanced and clicked Outrage it was over.
>>
File: 1481735134778.png (2MB, 754x749px) Image search: [Google]
1481735134778.png
2MB, 754x749px
>>30786727
Never played before x/y, huh?
>>
It's just Salamence and Smogon Cephadrome that overdid it. The typing itself is fine.

Fairies are a band-aid solution because someone in the game balance department jacks off to Cynthia x Garchomp during shift hours
>>
File: carlos.jpg (116KB, 625x409px) Image search: [Google]
carlos.jpg
116KB, 625x409px
Yeah, you could say they were Outrageous
>>
Gen 4-5 dragon was seriously the best type we have ever seen. Better than gen 1 psychic.

Only resisted by steel, which didn't matter as every dragon carried a fire and ground move for perfect coverage. It didn't matter before gen 4 because dragon had shit moves and were all special when dragon pokes had higher attack stats. Then gen 4 comes and boosts outrage to 120 base power and makes it physical and suddenly Garchomp and salamence are uber.
>>
>>30786772
I used that strategy a lot.
Moxiemence was great.
>>
File: Outrage.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Outrage.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
>>30786727
>>
In a way yeah. People tend to underestimate how good near unresisted STAB coverage is. Literally the only type that could resist was Steel and most Dragons carry Ground or Fire moves anyway.
>>
>>30786727
No then yes. Dragonite was the only dragon for 2 gens and he wasn't that good, he only became good after marvel scale was introduced.

Now the introduction of Salamence (Soul Dew Latios/Latias always being banned) followed by Garchomp, that was broken as all hell. I remember developing an intense love for steel types in those generations that carried over to the present. Forretress best bro.
>>
>Resisted only by steel, and most Dragon types had Fire/Ground moves
>Weak only to itself and ice, the worst defensive type in the game
>Pretty good resistances, almost any type made better by adding Dragon to it
>Dragon Dance
>Dragon-type overheat
>Well-rounded physical and special moves with Dragon Claw and Dragon Pulse
>Outrage
>4 of the 6 Psuedo legends were Dragons
>7/12 cover/uber legends were Dragon

It was easily the best type in gen 4/5.
>>
>>30786772
I miss 4drag2mag
>>
>>30786727
Before fairies Dragon moves were basically the Pokemon equivalent of Megido in SMT.
>>
>>30786949
>Dragonite was the only dragon for 2 gens
What is Kingdra
>>
>>30786727
Yes.

They alone justified the existence of ice, a completely worthless type otherwise.
>>
>>30787238
Got me there, I completely forgot about Kingdra. I only remember seeing it paired with politoed in weather-wars.
>>
>>30787319
Kingdra was always more manageable than dragonite, Garchomp, or salamence because it has less in the way of coverage. It's best options were either dragon dance with waterfall and outrage or Draco meteor
>>
Most dragon types are 4x weak to ice. Don't understand why Ice couldn't have just been given a dragon immunity instead of introducing Fairy types.
>>
>>30787763
hell, simply making more good ice glass cannons would have already been enough

short reminder that there is still no ice type (bar arceus) that has both special attack and speed above 100
>>
Fairies are more overpowered now than Dragons ever were.
>>
Quite literally gen 5 was press outrage and win
>>
>>30787912
I don't get this "fairies are overpowered!" meme. Sure, it's a good type in a vacuum but it still has a lot of shitmon. There are only 4 fairy types in OU, two of which being megas. Fucking grass has more, with 6 being OU.
>>
>>30786820
It's obvious that making Dragon Special was a way to balance it out especially when most Dragons had better Attack than Special Attack but then the split ruined everything.
>>
>>30786727
I like how the never learned anything from it. Then made fairies busted.
>>
>>30786772
Wasn't it 4 dragons and two magnemite evolutions?
>>
>>30786772
4drag1mag1mamo

Best team ever
>>
"Dragon types" yes, and they mostly continue to be really good. Last two Pseudos have been letdowns though.

"The dragon type" though, has never been op. Good resists and fantastic neutral coverage even with fairy and steel in the way. As a type, its pretty comparable to normal, but more resists for 1 less immunity and 1 more neutral hit.

The problem is that most dragons have pimp ass stats. They don't give a shit for type balance because they can just brute force through things. Like garchomp, dragonite and salamence.
Ice and fairy, the dragon counters, don't have the stats to properly compete.
>>
>>30788016
>the weakest type in terms of defensive capabilities has 6 OU reps
Woh
>>
>>30787649
Kingdra was way more manageable because of its stats. Compare Kingdra's stats to other Dragons like Salamence and Garchomp. Way less impressive/overwhelming. Same deal with Flygon.
>>
>>30788638
And of those 6, 4 are defensive. Really makes you think...
>>
>>30788616
The coverage/movepools some of them have help a lot as well.
>>
>>30788464
>balance it out
The only dragon move back then was a fixed damage attack. That makes no sense
>>
File: Risa (7).jpg (52KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Risa (7).jpg
52KB, 500x500px
>>30786805
This is horrible and I'm laughing anyways
>>
>>30787763
>Most dragon types are 4x weak to ice
Yeah but that's why YacheComp was a thing.

Every Gen 4 team was Ice Type 1 to burn the berry, Ice Type 2 to kill Garchomp, your own Chomp, and then three mons of your choice (usually stall mons like Hippowdon, Gliscor, Bliss/Skarm). Worst meta of all time.
>>
>>30786727
Yes.
>>
>>30786805
>>30788756
So much this.
>>
>>30788800
Shell Smash mitigated YacheComp a little, at least.
>>
ONE BUTTON

There is a reason the term pseudo came to exist and it was because of these things. They were basically designed to be superior in the first game, as Lance was the demi final boss. As he says "their powers are superior"

Even before gen4 they were some of the best mons in the game.
>>
>>30786727
Underageb&
>>
Remember when you feared me? I can still smell it.

HEIL HYDREI
>>
>>30786727
Short answer? Yes.
Long answer, the only actual problem with Dragon was the buff to outrage, the BST of certain problem dragons.
Dragons like Flygon or Kingdra were perfectly fine.
>>
>>30788016
Because in terms of matchups, Fairy is the most powerful type in the game. Outside a vacuum, it is actually even better, since it resists very important types (Fighting, Dragon, and Dark) While being weak only to horrible ones (Poison and Steel).
Moonblast is a very good attack, far better than most types get in terms of reliable offence.

The problem in gen 6 was that there were no good fairy types. Clefable and Gardevoir were the closest things to good faries, and even they rely on broken abilities. Faries were, without exceptions, shitmons or gimmickmons.
The Tapus are really the first good fairy types, and even if it weren't for the terrains, they would still be absolutely dominating.
>>
>>
>>30786727
Yeah I remember those two years in VGC where everything had to be EV'd to survive dragon gem draco meteor from timid latios

not that GENIES and PRINCESS OF HEALTHY META are an improvement though.
>>
>>30789886
>finally track down the source
>the artist never did any more than the ones that were in that thread where anon translated them
damn it
>>
dragmag was one of the most braindead playstyles in gen5, not that gamefreak would've known but i assume they realized that dragons were hard to deal with.
>>
>>30788613
"Enter the Dragon"

The greatest team of all Pokemon
>>
File: Aquaman Cool Story Bro.png (40KB, 627x555px) Image search: [Google]
Aquaman Cool Story Bro.png
40KB, 627x555px
>>30786805
>>
Dragon as a typing wasn't that overpowered, it was how every other dragon had stats that rivaled legendary Pokemon and most of those had access to ridiculously strong moves like Dragon Dance, Outrage, and Draco Meteor.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.