[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are IV's still a thing exactly?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6

File: 1479931350597.png (115KB, 238x326px) Image search: [Google]
1479931350597.png
115KB, 238x326px
Why are IV's still a thing exactly?
>>
now that you can easily edit them in game without hacks who the fuck cares?
>>
>>30741407
We need pointless grinding to able to play the game online.

Never explaining to the player that there's a very important mechanic is smart. Yup.
>>
I'd guess the majority of players don't care about minmaxing stats, for them IVs are there to make every pokemon slightly different in stats
>>
>>30741407
To appease the smogonbabby crowd.
>>
Individual strengths are used to evaluate a Pokémon's potential in-game.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Individual_values

Stats judges reveal the potential in every game since Ruby and Sapphire.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Stats_judge
>>
>>30741430

>Doesn't pass in breeding
>Requires you to grind to level 100 in a game with no repeatable trainers past the 60's and scaled experience.
>Requires retardedly rare item that you can't reasonable farm until you get a proper competitive team going (getting a daily streak of 30 in the tree to get a cap a day)
>Easily.
>>
>>30741407
Masuda wanted every Pokemon to be unique. It's like how two dogs of the same breed act different.
>>
>>30741407
To separate the shitty whatever mons you find in the wild during the main story from the ones you spend time and effort selectively breeding in the post-game.
>>
>>30741490
This
It's to give pokemon minor variations, and reward serious players who know what they're doing
>>
>>30741524
IVs have existed since Red and Green, Anon.
>>
>>30741407
Hidden Power
>>
>>30741407
Because Gamefreak is retarded.

They want to get rid of hackers that inject Pokemon (even if the stats and moves are obtainable in game), then they make it extremely convoluted to actually get competitively viable Pokemon.
>>
>>30741509
>Stats judges reveal the potential in every game since Ruby and Sapphire.
Using vague terminology that can actually be misleading, based on the way the stats are categorized.
>>
>>30741656
IVs have never been a thing because of cheaters.
>>
>>30741407
IVs are needed in order to encourage hacking as much as possible.
>>
>>30741699
No but Hyper Training was made for people who didn't want to breed.

Then they pulled the 180 and revealed that you needed hard-to-find items and a level 100 pokemon for the IV boost. Worst of all, the change is entirely superficial, meaning you can't use that mon for breeding or transfer the stat changes to other gens.
>>
>>30741746
Yeah, I'm sure they were concerned about hackers when they added IVs in Gen 1.
>>
>muh hackers
>>
it's an archaic mechanic that no one actually likes that only exists because of tradition at this point

the people who defend IVs are the probably the same people who thought HMs or expendable TMs were a good idea.
>>
>>30741906
People in this thread have provided actual examples of how IVs have always been used.
>>
File: 1480189688777.jpg (83KB, 577x624px) Image search: [Google]
1480189688777.jpg
83KB, 577x624px
>>30741520
>>Requires you to grind to level 100 in a game with no repeatable trainers past the 60's and scaled experience.
Fucking hell, why is it so hard for them to do this? I grinded like 9 different pokemon to level 100 in BW from fighting everyone in the big stadium and small court every day.
>>
>>30741407
Nothing wrong with IV.
Everything wrong not making them easy to get to everyone instead of grinding a fucking egg for 500 hours.

This is why people hack their way and it's impossible to play online
>>
>>30741407
It's to corner people into focusing on pokemon they either like and want to do well with. What it's meant to do is force competitive players choose between using their favourites, or building a team that is more viable.

Of course, you're only complaining because you know there's an easier method and want instant gratification. IVs are a simulation, a small way for you, as the champion and a pokemon trainer to show the effort you put into certain pokemon you like - just like an actual champion would.

Pokemon, competitively, was never meant to be about constructing a team of thee best performers in battle. It was always and has always been pushed that you're supposed to use pokemon you actually like, and that you had a static team and some substitutes. Of course, now that we have so many pokemon it's understandable to love at least what? 30 - 60 pokemon depending on the person. They have accommodated this by making breeding easier, and allowing legendaries to now be able to be IV capped.

Sooooooo my point is, if you were to be able to just use any old pokemon, what is that actually teaching you? To use the same fucking "strong" top tier team as everybody else in the competitive scene - which IS quite frankly what is happening and it's horrible to see the lack of diversity.

I understand fully that people want to win, but there is 0 satisfaction for me to win using pokemon I don't even like just because they're strong competitively.

This is why ideally I like IVs, but it is quite literally the pkhexers that are destroying this whole concept. I mean, yeah sure whatever idc theyre cheating but most of the players now are obsessed with instant gratification and winning.

Long ass post. TL;DR: Pokemon has always canonically been about using your favourites and spending time on a select few regardless of them being weak or strong. Karenfags are canon.
>>
The same reason you still can't alter Natures, acquire and adjust EVs in a sensible manner, and access certain moves legitimately without whipping out your GBA and transferring from there.
Because Gamefreak is fucking retarded.
>>
>>30741925
no they haven't. not a single post in this thread gives an actual reason for why IVs should exist.

>muh slight variations
no one actually plays the game just to catch two of the same pokemon of the same level of the same nature just to go "omg this stat is 1 digit higher than this other pokemon's stat"

there's so many pokemon now that that bullshit isn't necessary. the sheer number of species alone is enough variety, let alone natures, EVs, moves, gender, and abilities.
>>
>>30742004
>IVs are about competitive
Enough of this shitty meme.
>>
>>30742004
>Karenfags are canon.
Cannon BTFO as of ORAS, when you are advised at the battle island that you are going to need to drop your favorites if you want to win.
>>
IV's were made to make every pokemon unique, at the time they didn't have competitive in mind.
>>
>>30742025
>no they haven't. not a single post in this thread gives an actual reason for why IVs should exist.
Learn to read.
>>
>>30742072
IVs were also important in Gen 2 since they determined gender, shininess, Unown form, etc. and were a way of keeping that data in Gen 1 when trading to the past.
>>
>>30742078
You first.
>>
>>30742121
examples of how IVs have always been used != why IVs should exist
>>
>>30742004
This entire post is so goddamn naive concerning human nature that it hurts. Unfortunately this is probably how Game Freak actually views things, so I guess the series is fucked until someone rolls up in there with some god damn common sense to shake shit up.
>>
>>30742143
Now you're just ignoring my point. I'm not arguing that they aren't used you retard, I'm arguing that they have no reason to exist.
>>
>>30742049
Flawed logic, because if your favourites are banned from being used e.g Legendaries, then you can sub in like I said for another fav.

>>30742028
I have no fucking idea what you're trying to say.
IVs are for competing, that's what pokemon is literally about - competing in every sense, even in the story. For legit breeders and gold bottle caps, both of which can take a lot of time, it again would force people into only wanting people to breed a handful of pokemon they either actually like or just plain want to do well with. Otherwise, if you were to suddenly decide "oh man I wanna use this now" and there's not enough time, you COMPETITIVELY would not have a pokemon at the peak of its performance if it didn't have IVs maxed. Which you would want regardless of being a karenfag or not?
>>
>>30742004
EVs alone would fit this perfectly fine. You take your favourite, you spend time training them.

IVs in fact would go against this idea of bonds and shit, because you just turn it into eugenics and dump a ton of defenseless level 1 babbies into the wild.

I don't see how this forces a competitive player to choose anything. There's simply no way a truly competitive player would think "Well, this pokemon has a mediocre IV spread, but I like this one in particular so it will have to do". No, IVs in the competitive sense are just the entry cost. There is nothing IVs accomplish for the competitive scene or karenfags that can not be accomplished by EVs, which is actually a choice the player makes in where they want to specialize their pokemon.
>>
>>30742183
>I have no fucking idea what you're trying to say.
IVs were not introduced because of the competitive scene. They were a way of storing specific Pokémon data in Gens 1 and 2. In Gen 3, they overhauled them but kept some old stuff relying on IVs, such as Hidden Power type.
>>
Yeah, it is kinda pointless. I just get 6 perfect IV's every time for no reason.
>>
>>30741524

Tajiri is to blame actually. E.V's and I.Vs existed in gen 1 albiet differently.
>>
>>30741762
>transfer the stat changes to other gens

Gen 5 and X/Y retained contest stat data on mons so I'm sure the hyper trained stats won't go anywhere.
>>
File: 1283556518630.jpg (27KB, 473x339px) Image search: [Google]
1283556518630.jpg
27KB, 473x339px
>>30742024
It because if you take out the 1000 hours of grinding arbitrary numbers, pokemon is as shallow as a puddle. Once you reduce pokemon to its base gameplay, you get showdown. People aren't going to pay for just showdown.

Gamefreak need to pad the game out with stupid garbage or else the pokemon experience is broken.
>>
I like IVs because it gives me reason to invest time into breeding and is a very crude but functional representation of selective breeding
Maybe they could replace it with a different system, but I would be sad if they removed it altogether
>>
>>30742305
dank meme my friend

>>30742315
IVs affect breeding but they were used to preserve Gen 2-only data when you traded Pokémon to Gen 1.
>>
>>30742305
That's fucking retarded anon.
>>
>>30741407
From IV's, HG/SS will always be a thing because they're the best games ever.
>>
>>30742347
Okay? So what? I like it because it affects breeding, I don't think there is any reason to be concerned about the gen 2 mechanics anymore
>>
>>30742209
You're thinking too hard, like yes you do "immorally" dump pokemon into the wild. But I'm talking species-specific favourites. To me it's simply rerolling your favourite species. That's the idea, Karen herself says "strong pokemon, weak pokemon. blah blah favourites", what was implied is that you use your favourite species because otherwise she'd be a hypocrite for using strong and trained pokemon herself. Thus we arrive at the definition of a karenfag and why it's canon and why it's the intended way to play.

Karenfagging is about using a SPECIES of pokemon that you actually like regardless of how it performs at its peak.
>>
>>30742376
Breeding is a Gen 2 mechanic, Anon.
>>
>>30742360
It is retarded, but that's Gamefreaks modus operandi. If you cut out the thousands of hours breeding, catching, comparing, fucking up and trying again, etc with pokemon the time consumed is nearly halved. People would complain pokmon has no "depth" anymore and leave. Believe it or not the autistic grinding experience is what some people play pokemon for.
>>
File: about to unleash.png (479KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
about to unleash.png
479KB, 480x640px
>>30742305
keep the story mode and allow for in-game genning after you beat the elite four

i do not know why this is such a fucking difficult concept for GF
>>
>>30741430
This isn't true.

And the funniest part is that if it WERE true, then at that point why have them? They are either an obnoxious mechanic or a pointless one, depending on how you look at it.
>>
>>30742418
Because you're basing your argument on wrong premises.
>>
>>30742434
They are just another mechanic. People who simply play the games don't care about them.
>>
>>30742418
It seems you are the one who doesn't get the concept of the game.

Completing the Pokedex and raising Pokemon is the endgame, you retard.
>>
>>30742399
And 3, and 4, and so on
Again, what's your point? I'm not sure what you are trying to communicate with me
>>
>>30742403
You are half wrong.
That's not the only way to enjoy pokemon,

In the end, the final goal in pokemon is "ggotta catch em' all"

If they fix IV into a less grinding way, most people would be happy and less people would hack their way to online
>>
>>30742403

You make it sound like it's a bad thing. That's the entire point of Pokémon.
>>
>>30742478
IVs don't need fixing because they are not even that important to online multiplayer.
>>
>>30742471
oh you mean mindlessly farming shit from GTS and "raising pokemon" by grinding with level 40 pelipper

sweet endgame retard
>>
>>30742510
That's your fault for thinking that's what the game is about.
>>
>>30742510
Then don't play it and get the fuck off this board.

That's Pokemon. It's hilarious that you accuse GF of "not getting it" when you can't even grasp what these games are about.
>>
>>30742025
back then it was fun to compare your pokemon to someone else's of the same kind to see which was better
>>
File: 1481235312635.jpg (249KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1481235312635.jpg
249KB, 700x700px
>>30741430
>grinding to level 100 is easy
>>
>>30742510

So, then quit the game. It's clear that your enjoyment is lost and you're bitching about nothing. That's like saying turn-based RPG's should die because hack and slash RPG's is a thing.

I just like grinding. why is this a problem?
>>
>>30742305

how has showdown not been c&d'd by ninty yet?
>>
>>30741946
All they need to do is add places like the Mansion from X and Y, or just give us the VS Seeker and edit some post-league teams for a trainer on every route and it'll be fine.
Gamefreak just can't be fucking assed to do anything smart.
>>
>>30742536
this gets obscured to all fuck because of the way EVs work. IVs literally do not matter.
>>
>>30742673
>he doesn't understand IVs and think they're here because of le competitive meme
>complains when GF doesn't get Pokémon
kek
>>
>>30742633

Because they don't give a shit about anything that's not Mario or Zelda.
>>
>>30742397
But IVVs have no impact on this whatsoever.

You can remove IVs and everything else will remain the same. I choose my favourite, someone else chooses theirs, someone else chooses a pokemon specifically for its competitive edge. We all engage in animal husbandry for our preferred IVs. What impact has this had on karenfaggotry?
>>
File: A Monster Hunter RPG.jpg (18KB, 400x255px) Image search: [Google]
A Monster Hunter RPG.jpg
18KB, 400x255px
IV's are not the problem, its the retarded 31 max value that you have to reach to qualify as a competitive-ready Pokemon that is the problem. If the max value was hard-capped at 10 or lower, maybe breeding wouldn't be such a fucking grind.
>>
>>30743090
Weren't IV's capped at 15 back in the first two gens?
>>
>>30741407
>Touhou fangame did breeding for IVs much better than Pokemon did
http://en.tpdpwiki.net/wiki/Reincarnation
>>
>>30741407
artificially increase the postgame with pointless grind for HIDDEN POWER
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.