[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are these the peak of the series? If so, why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: 2016-12-12-16-29-09-1257876070.jpg (14KB, 333x152px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-12-16-29-09-1257876070.jpg
14KB, 333x152px
Are these the peak of the series? If so, why?
>>
why do they still cost $40-50 at every resale shop i go to
>>
>>30733660
They were until Sun/Moon by virtue of giving us the most content and being the most 'complete' games we've gotten.

B2W2 was nice but I really dislike much of the Unova Dex and graphical style of Gen V.
>>
Still can't get over the atrocious trainer re-designs, but yeah they were pretty solid, OP.
>>
It's the epitome of classic Pokemon.

Before 3D, before gimmicks like mega fusions and z-moves, before Game Freak changed design philosophies entirely by deciding to cater to a "new generation" of phone wielding normies and doing things like abandoning the idea of a postgame. It's the last hooray of Pokemon as it once was and is jam packed with content. It's both nostalgic and well-rounded enough to please both old and new players, and it even includes the Platinum Battle Frontier to truly shine as the ultimate gen 4 game.

It's just a 10/10 game. There's a reason it's so expensive and in demand.
>>
>>30733660
4th Gen in general was the peak of the series
>>
>>30733881
How does this not apply to Gen 5?
>>
>>30734495
>It's both nostalgic and well-rounded enough to please both old and new players
>>
>>30734495
Gen 5 had a very different feel, it tried to move away from the classic Pokemon aesthetic by completely throwing away old Pokemon and setting the region in an entirely different country.

It feels very different, very new. HGSS is pure classical Pokemon.
>>
yes

>>30733881
/thread
>>
>>30734609
>>30734673
Fair enough. Gen 5 still was able to feel new by the virtue of design choices and storytelling, not by new battle gimmicks.
>>
>>30734890
>>30734495
Gen 5 also was very big on wifi and BW had by far the worst bottom screen just for wifi and the entralink stuff or connectivity with Join Avenue

I still think they're the best games but Plat/HGSS have an older feel to them which can be more enjoyable to others
>>
I fucking love these games. Souls silver really hit me since Silver was the first pokemon I ever played, and nostalgia aside, it was just plain good. It was amazing to be reminded of all these events that I'd forgotten about in the years since I'd played Silver.
Too bad my copy just decide to say "no" and stopped working. Hope I can find a decently priced replacement.

Its ok, though, Moon has exceeded my expectations, so I'm more than happy to keep playing that for now.
>>
>>30733786
>Sun/Moon
>Best
Pick one
>>
>>30733660
No, the Johto games are overrated. Platinum is the only Gen 4 game really worth playing.
>>
Japanese Crystal was.
>>
>>30735404
Sure, Sun is the best then.

>>30735442
Platinum is overrated, really. If you didn't have the lackluster DP that preceded it, you wouldn't look at Pt in such an overly positive light. The Dex is especially horrible when you consider how many actually new mons we got and not cross-gen babies/cross-gen evos. It's the same shit as Johto at best.
>>
>>30733660
HGSS are the best because they were released when I was old enough to use the internet to find out all the secrets and understand all the secret mechanics, but not old enough to get into competitive Pokémon and get depressed about the unbalanced mecanics.
>>
>>30735607
Platinum fixed the issues with DP and doesn't have the level-scaling problems of Crystal.
>It's the same shit as Johto at best.
Hardly surprising when elements like Honey were originally meant for Generation II.
>>
GB Sounds
>>
>>30735607
Try to play through the game again. You'll realize how mediocre Sun/Moon is assuming you're not afraid to admit Game Freak fucked you.
>>
They're good games but they're also highly overrated.

Most of their flaws are in a gameplay standpoint, like the awful level curve and the terrible distribution of Johto pokemon.
>>
>>30735607
I'm pretty sure if people didn't play D/P they'd still like Platinum just as much.
>>
>>30736122
I did. Lurantis Moon CIA and Freeshop Sun CIA. The games are terrific, I don't know what trauma you went through to end up so jaded about them.
>>
>>30733660
Yes, it is. Silver was my first game and though I loved it, it felt incomplete. Kinda like how RS, FRLG, DP, and XY feel incomplete.
So when HGSS added a lot of the Kanto content like dungeons and Safari Zone pokemon in it perfected what was already a lot of game. Add in some Crystal side stuff, Platinum's lengthy Battle Frontier, and the genuinely fun Pokethalon as a sidequest that doesn't take forever like contests. Top it off with GB sounds, Gym Leader rematches, an even tougher Red and Johto Gym Leaders, walking pokemon and you get a LOT of game.
Also, the metagame was the healthiest i've ever seen it and the internet fandom was producing tons of cool content.
Gen 5 is up there, for sure, but HGSS and Platinum really set the tone for the Golden age of Gens 4 and 5.
>>
>>30733660
No. Definitely very up the mountain, but not the peak.

Great games, but overrated as hell.
>>
>>30737144
This. Holy trinity my ass, HGSS, B2W2, and Platinum still aren't as good as Emerald.
>>
>>30737221
Are you joking?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.