[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what is your opinion of ya boy now that the dust has settled?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 13

File: enzo.png (49KB, 150x288px) Image search: [Google]
enzo.png
49KB, 150x288px
So what is your opinion of ya boy now that the dust has settled?
>>
>>30733040
Boring antagonist imo
>>
the voice of reason
>>
File: 1481141496454.jpg (106KB, 960x847px) Image search: [Google]
1481141496454.jpg
106KB, 960x847px
>>30733040
Cute boytoy.
>>
surprisingly lack of hand movements and flamboyant walking that his grunts possessed
>>
File: hot.jpg (32KB, 489x477px) Image search: [Google]
hot.jpg
32KB, 489x477px
>>30733040
>>
>>30733040
I think we set the bar way too high but he's still good
>>
File: image.jpg (10KB, 128x204px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10KB, 128x204px
Even though I had higher expectations (and honestly? A lot of the alola trainers too) for him but I was satisfied enough with it
Not what I wanted but it's still good
>>
I want his glasses
>>
>>30733040
He wuz a good boi dindu nuffin just wokin fo da company
>>
File: IMG_8814.png (36KB, 151x134px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8814.png
36KB, 151x134px
>>30709218
>>
He was cool. The abusive home he came from and the fact he NOPE'd out of Lusamine's plan when she went full bonkers make him easy to relate. Not that I can blame him for going along with it at first, see >>30733122
>>
>>30733302
>the abusive home

wut
>>
>>30733040
I like him. Just disappointed he turned out to be a lapdog for Lusamine.

Of all the theories of what Team Skull and Aether would be pre-release, Team Skull working for Aether was my least favorite.
>>
>>30733040
surprisingly relatable
I wish there was more to his story then just ending up in the battle tree
>>
>>30733345
House on Route 2 near Berry Fields.
>>
>>30733345
Just some speculations some people present as fact because they have some hurt-comfort fetish.
His family's home had some'broken and bent ' golf clubs in a bag - and no further info on that- and people made assumptions. Also the fact that his father wanted to set him straight when he was leaving or something like that but he got beaten up by Guzma instead.
>>
>>30733492
>broken and bent golf clubs
these are Guzmas, bent them out of frustration while golfing
He's always been a Hot Head
>>
>>30733428
Yeah so?
>>
>>30733492
>subtext is just speculation
>nothing is true unless it's explicitly spelled out

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess you don't subscribe to book clubs or read a whole lot
>>
>>30733566
Yeah would have made more sense than continuously beating your children with golf clubs (not even one weapon of choice, which would have been a more obvious hint), shown in a children's game. Unless the creator preferred to be on the edgy side all the way this gen.
>>
>>30733659
>u don't read lol
Yeah thanks for the convincing argument. And yes that is very much a speculation. No i do not subscribe to fanfic sites.
>>
File: 78563786.png (136KB, 500x331px) Image search: [Google]
78563786.png
136KB, 500x331px
I thought for sure that they would be related
>>
Had high expectation, but he barely did anything.

Still don't get what's so good about him.
>>
>>30733802
Who?
>>
>>30734304
He has a nice design to be fair. And the subtleties they added to his personality are always cool, pokemon included. I think the idea is that people consider him down to earth and relatable (even though he is clearly a sociopath, but i assume women love those)
>>
File: 1480793759313.png (259KB, 900x819px) Image search: [Google]
1480793759313.png
259KB, 900x819px
>>30734389
>Sociopath

Okay buddy.
>>
>>30734389
Sry, bad expression. I get why he is loved (had the same reason when I was hyped), but he was just an anti-social meanie (as you say, I understand what you mean with sociopath).
>>
GUZMA, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU!?
>>
>>30733122
This is so hot, holy shit.
>>
He didn't fucking do anything.
>>
>>30733040
His expressions are gold.
>>
>>30733492
i'm pretty sure in the japanese version his dad tells you that "if you ran away, you'd get beaten black and blue" or some shit like that
i do think the golf club thing is a bit of a stretch though, i'm pretty sure something would've ruptured before the golf clubs would break
>>
>>30733040
Refreshing after Gen VI's pathetically weak and bland Lysandre.
>>
>>30733040
He's kind of unremarkable desu. I was surprised he was such a jackass. I did find his backstory/motivation kind of compelling though. He's not a goofy idiot like people expected, dude has serious issues.
>>
>>30734727
I like the fact he was holding back on purpose. He never ever uses a Z Move, and despite that, he was still my 2nd hardest match after Mimikyu.
>>
I guess after a bunch of 'actually has good intentions' villains Guzma feels refreshing by being just a frustated asshole doing shit for the lulz. Even after the game he is pissed because they forced him to disband team skull
>>
>>30734626
Yes, i think people try to justify his behaviour because well, that is usually what average fandoms do with their favourites. I was very tempted to do the same, but they simply presented him as an obsessed asshole that might git gud. I'm guessing the franchise is trying pass a premise that people aren't fully evil and can always change.

>>30734760
I couldn't find the japanese version to confirm this, so i prefer to keep it as speculations for now. People tend to add their ideas to the story if noone can fully confirm it.
>>
>>30733122
DELET THIS
These two have the best fanart so far though, both paired together and separate.
>>
>>30734760
>>30734897
I play in Japanese so I just checked what his dad says

子供の旅はうれしいが
飛び出したままなのはいかんです
なのでとっちめてやろう! としたら
コテンパンにされてのう……

Basically he says Guzma kicked HIS ass and not the other way around
>>
>>30733040
Disappointed that his relationships with Kukui, Plumeria, and Gladion weren't explored further. It's actually pretty annoying for Gladion and Kukui. Plumeria I can understand as being a fangirl who ended up impressing Guzma enough to become an admin, but what was the situation like with Gladion joining Team Skull? Why did Guzma specifically mention that both he and Kukui failed at becoming Trial Captains? What the fuck was his beef with Kukui anyway.

Outside of that he was a good character with a dope theme and a cool team. Really stupid that he didn't use Scyther/Scizor though what the actual fuck?
Speaking of, I was also disappointed by him only showing up ONCE, post game. He doesn't even keep his promise of beating you down after you beat him at the beach. Guzma would have been a perfect opponent for your title defense, it's just another dumb missed opportunity
>>
>>30735146
WOW, does that mean we have all misunderstood his background?
>>
>>30735146
Either Guzma snapped on his dad after years of abuse (not necessarily physical abuse), or he's just crazy and attacked him for no good reason.
>>
>>30735146
In english the dad says "But I was the one who got beat," meaning he was trying to deliver a beating to Guzma. Plenty of Japanese players seem to think he was beaten too, plus Guzma's chracter is a textbook example of an adult with a history of child abuse. It's also thematically appropriate too, given the fact the other villain in this game is an abusive mom.
>>
>>30735227
nope, the last beating ended with Guzma beating the shit out of his dad and leaving.
>>
>>30735227
No it means Anon cannot into subtext.
>>
>>30735252
>Plenty of Japanese players seem to think he was beaten too
Could you show examples of sites where they discussed it? I don't think the beating was anything more important than establishing Guzma was capable of overpowering his own dad and fleeing his home without saying goodbye, to make his character more intimidating -Japanese culture doesn't seem to have a problem with treating children harshly in a physical way, so i don't think they would not hint more on the abuse, especially in a pokemon franchise. Look at Lillie's or N's story. Let's not forget the main reason people believed in the abuse is the supposed culprit that are broken golf clubs and that seems too unrealistic and over the top.
>>
>>30735274
Sorry that not blindly joining a fandom circlejerk is a no-go for you, but you can't call things 100% true simply because it suits your theories. People keep forgetting that there are as many opinions are there are themselves for a reason.
>>
>>30735664
*as there are
>>
File: 9lightning 11.jpg (374KB, 972x1033px) Image search: [Google]
9lightning 11.jpg
374KB, 972x1033px
>>30733040
I love him, no homo. He's not a bad guy, he's a good guy at heart.
>>
File: 1481328983639.jpg (106KB, 1000x635px) Image search: [Google]
1481328983639.jpg
106KB, 1000x635px
>>30735664
> Game where child abuse is a major theme
> "I tried to set my boy straight, but I was the one who got beaten."
> Dusty trophies in Guzma's room, none of them first place
> "GUZMA WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!"

>>30735518
The broken golf clubs aren't meant to be the weapon, they're meant to show the father is an angry man who physically acts on that anger in a destructive way. Think of a stereotypical angry golfer who gets frustrated with the game and breaks his club. As far as elaboration goes, Guzma frankly just isn't as important a character as Lillie and N are; elaboration would be nice.

I dont have screenshots of japanese players discussing it, but anons have come through the /guz/ thread saying that and art coming out of Japan seems to confirm they think he was beaten. pic related. There's blood in there by the way.
>>
>>30735856
Shit I meant to spoiler the image
>>
>>30735664
No one said they were 100% true. As soon as the theory was brought up, you accused the ones who believe or support it of being fetishists.

Sorry that disagreeing with you doesn't make make sexually dysfunctional.
>>
Lovable goof, like most of his team.

What little we get from his backstory made me feel for him, especially the subtext of Guzma's catchphrase ("Guzma! What's wrong with you!?" was beaten into him by his abusive father.
>>
>>30733040
Only good for taking bug dick.
>>
>>30733040
He's definitely the most fun antagonist if that makes sense. Plus it was nice to have an antagonist that wasn't bent on destroying, taking over, or reseting the world. He just likes to be a dick.
>>
>>30735926
Kek, i wrote that because that is what i saw on /guz/ threads, so that was what i assumed made the motif so popular, so don't take it personally. Doesn't change the fact you wrote it as if you already accepted it as truth. Also having a fetish isn't a dysfunction, sheesh.
>>30735856
>> Dusty trophies in Guzma's room, none of them first place
> "GUZMA WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!"
Those two can also mean Guzma was very ambitious and wont accept second place - thus his lack of respect for the opponent. His conversation with Hala was explicit about it and frankly i wouldn't expect more from this game - if it started writing something interesting with the characters it made sure the player understoood it completely with notorious hammering it into their eyes. I don't see how would they suddenly change the pattern for one character.
>>
If you sit in his chair in the mansion in Po town, it says something about the arms of the chair look like they'd been punched hard several times. I thought that was pretty interesting touch.

Poor guy has some anger issues.
>>
disappointed how TS just ended up being lapdogs for Lusamine. was hoping there'd be a "path of redemption" for TS near the end and Guzma and his crew would join you to help take down Aether
>>
File: 1477348772835.jpg (234KB, 640x720px) Image search: [Google]
1477348772835.jpg
234KB, 640x720px
>>30733040
He wasn't at all what I expected him to be, considering how silly the rest of Team Skull is, but I actually liked him a lot. Once you get all the background info on him and Team Skull and why they are they way they are, they felt like some of the most "real" antagonists in the series. No weird cults based around ancient death monsters, just a bunch of goofy idiots who do bad shit because of the way their lives turned out.
>>
>>30733189
This. He's not /our/ boi, but he's still okay.
I'm glad he didn't win the banner contest.
>>
>>30736399
But there's a ton of shit in previous games that isn't over-explained. There's the old guy in XY who asks to take care of a low level pokemon for you. Later he's gone, your pokemon is in a pokeball on the floor, and you find an escape rope nearby. There's also N's room in Black/White, and what happened to the abandoned ship in ORAS.

You're basing your argument on GF being incapable of subtlety, but they clearly are.
>>
>>30736399
It's really not changing the pattern. Especially with Cyrus's backstory being a commentary on a lot of Japanese parenting techniques. Guzma getting beat by his dad isn't really anything special- they've implied bad parenting on characters all the time, and with "deepest darkest lore" Ohmori in charge, having that sort of backstory for Guzma'a character is really the easy implication, and stays true to form.
>>
>>30736607
>>30736614
Ok, good points. Now that i think of it they gave some psychological depth to the grunts (although as s comedy relief, sadly), so why wouldnt they go further with it on their boss. Im heading to sleep so i can admit i just wanted to provoke discussion so i can review what people really know about ya boi - the japanese translation was helpful info too. No hard feelings and pls no bully
>>
He's meh. Didn't appear as much as I thought he would, and didn't really do much plot wise. Not really memorable except for YA BOY.
>>
File: 1480970240130.jpg (92KB, 500x557px) Image search: [Google]
1480970240130.jpg
92KB, 500x557px
>>30733122
This, I want to make him my personal little bitch
>>
He needs to chill. He keeps on threatening me and I'm like boi????? What is your deal? Just stop. At least he was somewhat tolerable post game.
>>
>you will never restrain an angry Guzma
How do you get him to show up in the Battle tree?
>>
>>30740168
Did you battle him at the beach?
>>
>>30740180
yes
I heard he and plumeria were exclusives
>>
Im confused

Who beat who with golf clubs?
>>
>>30740388
Apparently Guzma beat his dad. But Guzma as probably verbally abused from the way he acts? I honestly have no idea, sounds like a bunch of headcanons at this point.
>>
>>30733040
Loved him, really wish he was harder and had more screentime though

Funny personality and lines, amazing music track, with an actually interesting/fucked up backstory

Good character, I would love to see more of him in a sequel (if that ever gets made)
>>
>>30736614
>Cyrus's backstory
What?. He had one?. Its been a while since i played platinum....
>>
File: 1473006710961.jpg (52KB, 554x483px) Image search: [Google]
1473006710961.jpg
52KB, 554x483px
>>30733040
>that file name
>>
File: 60240190_p0.png (844KB, 1000x875px) Image search: [Google]
60240190_p0.png
844KB, 1000x875px
Actually has an interesting backstory, which is helped by requiring you to assemble the pieces yourself. The secret passwords help establish his interests, especially Golisopod.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.