[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So how do you think the Janurary Pokebank Update is going to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

File: beeh.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
beeh.gif
1MB, 320x180px
So how do you think the Janurary Pokebank Update is going to go? I mean, there's no national dex in SM, you think they're gonna patch it in?

Are people gonna flip their shits when the pokemon they played with on their VC R/B/Y have shit natures/IVs?
>>
Bank has the National Dex tracker, so no patch.

Yeah probably.
>>
>>30642212
>How will the pokebank update go?
Virtually nothing will change. Competitive players are going to pick up where they left off in XY/ORAS (although most of them are on showderp now anyway), casuals are going to consider the $5 wasted unless their favorite mons didn't get into SM, and everyone in-between is just going to do whatever they planned on doing anyway.

Wonder Trade will probably have a bunch more weird shit in it for a week or two, then we'll go back to Donald Trump jokes and Abras.

>Do you think they're gonna patch it in?
If Gamefreak patches in actual content, I will buy a hat for the express purpose of eating it. Patching in the NatDex would be the best thing they could do, but I'm not holding my breath.

>Are people gonna flip their shit when the VC RBY mons have shit natures/IVs?
No, because casuals don't give a shit and competitive players already have those mons anyway. Besides, story teams are almost always garbage in comparison to the shit you breed by hand.
>>
>>30642212
When I transferred from yellow to gold, I was kinda surprised my pikachu ended up female and holding a light ball. Same with my twistedspoon alakazam.
I think VC transfers will have neat things like that to make up for the random stats. I don't think anyone is going to expect transfers from a gen 1 game to be competitive.
>>
>National Dex

Well look at it this way, there still is technically a National Dex in the code, so to speak, so a patch would be very easy. There's just no visible National Dex mode or entries for non-Alola Pokemon in the game.

The in-game QR's default function allows you to scan Pokemon so they're marked as "seen" in your Dex, but not caught. You can only get these QRs from someone who already has it caught in their Dex, however we had ProjectPokemon generate these QRs for all the Pokemon. You can scan them and it may seem pointless if they don't show up in the Alola Dex, but it's still registered in the code as seen. This is the same case as Pokemon caught/seen through the Island Scan. You can view all the seen/caught data for all 802 through PKHeX.

So a Nat Dex patch is totally possible. Literally anything they'd need to implement is text based, which is on par with things they usually do in previous Pokemon patches. It's nothing that'd corrupt data(muh patched mythicals/Frontier) if you booted the game after removing the patch, the NatDex would simply revert to being invisible. That being said, I find it odd that the NatDex wasn't just there to begin with, so my hopes aren't entirely up, but perhaps it's just their idea that a NatDex isn't needed until the PokeBank update is released so we can transfer old mons. That, and the fact I don't really trust GameFreak to always make the right decisions.
>>
File: 1473720946738.png (228KB, 613x560px) Image search: [Google]
1473720946738.png
228KB, 613x560px
>>30642473
I'm really hoping for a patch.

I mean, GF wouldn't make such an incomplete game on purpose... right?
>>
>>30642473
>You can view all the seen/caught data for all 802 through PKHeX.
Is this for real? The game really keeps track of seen/caught for non-alolan pokes?
>>
>>30642516
They're fucking retarded with some things, so I simply can't rely on them to do the right thing.

The point still stands though, the NatDex is in the code, so making a menu mode and adding entries wouldn't be that much effort if they wanted to

If the don't do it, we could get someone with the knowledge of patching, like SciresM, to help make our own patch. Either use old entries or a bunch of us could contribute our own. Could be fun.

>>30642534
Yes, it's all there. Only a Dex menu mod and entries are missing. Easy patch
>>
>>30642516
Anybody with an ounce of knowledge on game design and development could tell you that this game was obviously pushed out the door so that they could drop a new gen for the 20th anniversary.

How BAD it was rushed is where the real arguments start, but this game was clearly put out before it was completely ready.
>>
File: 1478534008215.png (24KB, 200x200px)
1478534008215.png
24KB, 200x200px
>>30642637
Even if that might be completely true, those rushed things can be patched, right?

It's just a thing of GF realizing and doing the right thing.

Maybe if we riot...
>>
>>30642637
>this game was clearly put out before it was completely ready
Have there been any reports of bugs/glitches/holes in the code?
>>
>>30642671
They can only patch things that wouldn't give you corrupt data if you deleted the patch/used a 3DS without the patch. National Dex and text based things are all I can see of, like an NPC that aknowledges Marshadow since it oddly has none like other mythicals did. We won't get new Pokemon or areas patched.
>>
>>30642691
there's a battle tree win condition bug, and then the kadabra level up bug.
so, yes.
>>
>>30642691
It's more the darksouls kind of unfinished. They had to cut alotof ideas and tie it together hastily. It's why the ultrabeasts suddenly disappear after the climactic cutscene of lusamine unleashing them, with no explanation to why they so closley resemble human characters. Along with necrozma in general and all those following pokemon models. There was obviously a much larger story planned that had to be cut for time. The ultrabeast mission was tossed in because they'd already marketed the hell out of them
>>
>>30642757
I was hoping for stuff like making certain NPCs "fightable" again like the trial captains (after fighting then when you find them in their rooms) or Wally (I think you can battle him twice and that's it)
>>
>>30642691
Apparently sections of the code do weird roundabout calls to other sections that don't need to happen in order to get shit done. GF isn't exactly best-known for their coding prowess, but SM brings new levels to the inefficient coding structures, which leads me to believe that there were a number of cases where the staff was told to just leave shit out and come back to it later if they had time, then proceeded to never have time.

Don't take my word on this, though. I've not looked too hard into it myself. I'm getting this as hearsay from a buddy who has.

>>30642671
In theory, yeah. The game already creates data on your SD card, so any intensive patches could go there, but >>30642757 is right in that the game can't be patched TOO hard. The only way to get around it is to have the cart check its patch version against the update that the system has, and locking you out if you aren't updated. Some games do that (Sm4sh comes to mind), but it can be frustrating.
>>
>>30642757
Can you catch marshadow, or is that like an event thing?
>>
>>30642837
It'll probably be like Magearna, where there's a QR code that "unlocks" the data already on the cartridge.

On-disc DLC is pretty stupid, but much more tolerable if you don't have to pay for it.
>>
>>30642834
I like to think the coding inefficiency is a symptom of an industry-wide problem, due to games being super expensive to make and development time being so fucking short, that not everything can get done/has to be removed/become DLC fodder.
>>
>>30642760
>a battle tree win condition bug
>the kadabra level up bug
please elaborate
>>
>>30642899
No doubt it's an industry-wide problem, but in this case I think even if the industry wasn't fucked this game would be pretty shaky in its stability, what with the 20th Anniversary and all.

SM has a lot of good shit in it, but the implementation leaves something to be desired. It feels like Gen IV all over again, so hopefully SM will make like DP and get redeemed by a third version.
>>
>>30642980
>get redeemed by a third version.
Oh, please no.
I don't want to buy the same game again.

If anything, make it like an online upgrade or huge patch.
>>
>>30643000
With the rumors what they are, it's more likely that any third version would be on the Switch, so TECHNICALLY it's not buying the same game again.

I definitely would rather just have the game we already spent $35~40 on to get a big patch, though.
>>
>>30643060
Buying a new console just for it is worse IMO
>>
>>30642671

Just like how they patched the rushed things in XY and ORAS, right?
>>
>>30643060
If they fix some of the issues in SM and bring back removed content that were originally intended to be in the games (but removed because it bricked the 3DS), such as triple/rotation battles and hordes, I would not mind paying for the superior third version.

Especially in the weird off-chance they decide to add more Alolan forms or even completely new Pokemon to entice fans into buying the third version.
>>
>>30643078
The Switch's lineup of games looks promising, even if there are Wii U ports. Those ports are for the fans who knew better than to buy a Wii U.
>>
>>30642899
Fuck no. Gamefreak has been shit at coding since FOREVER.

It's been specially noticeably lately because of the jump from 2D to 3D which they had pretty much no experience with before XY.
>>
>>30642980
Yes, the 20th anniversary really did not help matters. Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't try to extend Gen 6 longer with Kanto re-remakes, THEN move onto Gen 7 via the Switch.
>>
>>30642212
Expect a 3 month delay in us and europe and a lot of prease undehstandu
>>
>>30642212
>Are people gonna flip their shits when the pokemon they played with on their VC R/B/Y have shit natures/IVs?
Natures, maybe, but IV's literally aren't a problem
>>
>>30643151
This. Though that said, what was described >>30642834 is best argument I've seen made for SM being actually unfinished in a big way, and not just in the typical videogame way where people always plan for more than they can actually implement. People have been going on about shit like a golf course you can't reach since Gen fucking I with the grass near Bill's House.
>>
>>30643151
I'm aware of their track record with coding. But it's definitely become more noticeable with the jump.
But now with the Switch inevitably replacing the console and handheld, thus consolidating the two teams into one giant team, perhaps they can finally give GF more experienced developers to help out?
>>
>>30643208
I'm honestly not surprised they never had time to get back to finish some parts of the code. They had to meet an unreasonable deadline because "muh 20th anniversary get on it slaves"
>>
>>30643168
It would look bad for GF if the 20th Anniversary release was a rehash or remake. It'd also enrage their existing and dedicated playerbase to be Gen 1 remakes, which is a big no-no when you can't guarantee a dedicated playerbase to replace them. People already gave GF shit for making all of the Alolan forms Kanto-exclusive.

From a development perspective, I agree with you, but from a marketing perspective, there's just no fucking way. Better to put out a semi-finished new product and fix it later than to put out a rehash of old content and call it an anniversary game. It sucks, but in the end it's the bottom line that defines the future of the franchise.

>>30643150
To give credit to nay-sayers, the WiiU's lineup looked promising. Then it ended up being mostly WiiU remakes of games that the other consoles got a year and a half earlier, Sm4sh, Splatoon, MH3U, and Mario Kart 8.

There's definitely reasons to be apprehensive about the Switch.
>>
>>30643269
I mean, they should've been working on it since before XY launched, which is a typical schedule for Pokemon games. The shift to 3D just didn't work well with Gamefreak's staff. For me, it's pretty apparent in the overworld design of the 3D games. Heavily grid based in Gen VI, and when it gets much more natural in Gen VII, suddenly there's a complete lack of anything resembling the overworld puzzles we had in the previous games. Gamefreak is just an aging studio that hasn't been able to innovate terribly well with the times.
>>
>>30643311
Well, as the saying goes, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I'm apprehensive about it too, but I'm more excited about the Switch unveiling than I was with the Wii U's unveiling.
>>
>>30642779
>Necrozma

I can't wrap my mind around why people unironically keep mentioning/asking why Necrozma wasn't explained at all. Is this your first generation? Do you remember Rayauaza, Giratina, Kyurem, and Zygarde? Looker even aknowledges him before and after you catch it, which is more you can say about the others bar Kyurem in the games they debuted in.
>>
>>30643329
SM indicates that they WANT to try new things, but don't really seem to know where to start.
>Let's try making shit not so much about speed!
>...except all of the slow mons have virtually no redeeming factors to make up for their lack of speed.
>Let's do away with Gyms!
>...except we tied the Totems and the Trials to the region, and made them too complicated for League play, so we'll never be able to revisit this mechanic again unless we just keep going to "fledgling" regions.
>Let's make trainer AI actually utilize real strategies!
>...except the trainer mons still only have 2-3 moves each, and smaller teams to compensate for the "increased difficulty", meaning that only postgame trainers will pose legitimate threats.
>Let's make everything pretty!
>...except the poor coding and the game's desire to render EVERYTHING puts huge strain on the system and causes lag everywhere from double battles to the fucking boxes.
>>
>>30643604
This. You can make an argument for the UBs seeming shoehorned into a postgame sidequest, and even for the following animations, but Necrozma is just something to throw your Master Ball at if you didn't use it on the Cover Legendary.
>>
>>30642837
It's gonna be your typical event mythical distribution. There isn't any NPC that gives it to you like Magearna.
>>
>>30642779
>with no explanation to why they so closley resemble human characters

maybe because they don't. what the hell does anything match up with besides nihilego and lillie (and only because of her hat)?
>>
File: 1405813685319.png (112KB, 335x295px) Image search: [Google]
1405813685319.png
112KB, 335x295px
Pokebank servers crash from influx of users.
Pokebank gets taken out of service again until March.
>>
>>30642691
Partshot kills your 3ds
>>
>>30643608
>...except all of the slow mons have virtually no redeeming factors to make up for their lack of speed.
I wouldn't say that, so much as they made things without Speed, but then didn't change how fucking vital speed is to battle. There's plenty of worthwhile mons, but Speed creep still rules the overall game because it works exactly like it always has and he older speedy shit still exists. You can't just go "oh man, speed is starting to get out of control, lets make a gen with a lot of low attack mons" and then not change all the other high speed mons that exist and how speed mechanics function.

Speed needs to be addressed in a more fundamental way than "lets just not make a lot of really fast Pokemon."

>...except the trainer mons still only have 2-3 moves each, and smaller teams to compensate for the "increased difficulty", meaning that only postgame trainers will pose legitimate threats.
I disagree with this. For one, a quick perusal of Serebii seems to show they typically have four moves, even if they don't use them. There's also plenty of pre-post-game trainers that pose legitimate threats, depending on your team make up and how much you're using that EXP Share. I also question the logic of making every single trainer battle a pitched fight for your life. That honestly makes things pretty tedious and drawn out. There's no particular reason every route trainer needs to have even a mostly full team. The way they handled it this time where there's fairly common "boss" trainers on a route was fine for me.

The plot battles, on the other hand, could've used some more meat. I know Team Skull is pathetic, but their battles didn't have to be so one sided either. I feel like there was never anything outside of Guzma or Lusamine in the plot important battles that ever presented any danger. The AI in general could also use some touching up, even with the improvements and additional tools they've been given this gen. Spamming Pain Split, for instance.
>>
>>30643782
I agree that not everything needs to be a threat, and many praise the Totems for being varying degrees of threatening, so I'll leave those be.

That said, the Kahunas are very much "Can you check me with SE moves? Yes? Alright, here's the Z-Crystal." They needed better AI, ESPECIALLY when we had the E4 roll around. I shouldn't have been able to beat Olivia with the exact same strategy both times, although I mostly attribute that to Rock just being a shit type in too many aspects.

Team Skull definitely needed to be more of a threat, too. Plumeria can give you a run for your money, but you fight her a grand total of twice, both fights being well before the climax, so the threat really falls flat. Guzma has a decent team, but he fails to utilize the shit he's got properly (Really, Guzma? You're gonna triple-stack Swords Dance on a mon that can be forcibly switched out with ITS OWN ABILITY?).

I mentioned it before, but the E4 is mostly a checklist of type coverage. One of them will give you trouble (Khalil and Hala have both been cited as being potentially difficult depending on the team). The first Champ fight isn't anything special outside of the narrative and thematic appropriateness.

AI definitely needs brushed up.
>>
>>30643150
> How I wish fuckers knew better than to buy Sun and Moon.
>>
>>30643653
Nihilego is very obviously designed to look like Lillie
Pheromosa is Lusamine
Xurkitree is Guzma
You'd have to be pretty retarded to not notice
>>
>>30644257
SM needed to be bought. It's completely retarded and 100% marketing bullshit, but if SM had flopped, GF and Nintendo would've pulled the plug on any potential third game/sequels and just gone to the generation's remake, or worse, done nothing until they were ready to drop a new gen.
>>
>>30644283
That's because Lusamine raised Lillie to look like Nihilego because of her fangirlsm with it.

Maybe she altered her hair because of Pheromosa.
>>
>>30644307
>needed to be brought.

No. No. This fucking mentality infuriates me my god. The only power we have as consumers is to turn away en masse from their product to show them they need to try harder. But instead like a bunch of fucking junkies gamefreak sheeple go out in droves and buy a game because they feel like they have to? What the actual fuck is wrong with this fanbase.

Let a game flop ffs people. Gamefreak need some fucking comeuppance before they start to think about getting their A-Persian sized head out their ass. Wtf is wrong with people who buy something they dont like or agree with and then expect developers to respect them or what they are willing to spend their money on.
>>
>>30644459
I agree on an ethical and moral level, but too many marketing teams see "it didn't get bought" as "Absolutely EVERYTHING about this is trash and should be junked", which causes problems when a game has a good concept but poor implementation, or vice versa. It's a stupid, bipolar way of looking at things, but it's the one that people use.

Not buying a game is basically saying "I don't want this and will never want this".
>>
>>30644569
Fuck marketing teams then. I didn't buy this game because I informed myself of the pros and cons and decided I didn't want to buy this game because the cons outweight the pros. Surely to have such a black/white view of how people respond to a game is stupid?

Would I buy pokemon games in the future again though? Yes, maybe. What in the fuck about this dont developers understand? But the direction gamefreak are taking with their abhorently lazy/sloppy development rushed out to meet deadlines, I don't think I will bother.

Buying a game as a 'show of support' is such an insidiously drone-likd thing to do. I can't believe it happens.
>>
>>30644697
Marketing has to assume that most consumers are morons because most consumers are in fact morons. People that do research into product before buying it is much more common these days, but it's still not the norm.

Also, the dev team and the marketing team very rarely interact beyond marketing approving/disapproving of specific things, or asking for stuff to field test for marketability potential. No, Poliwhirl can't be the mascot because we've found that Pikachu is much more popular and will get us the female buy-in as well as the male buy-in.

>Fuck marketing teams
Said literally every dev ever, and some marketing guys, too.
>>
>>30643653
>>30644283
I still think it's making very vague connections that aren't a tended to be made. I do not think Lusamine looks like Pheromosa at all, but Lillie and Guzma could be seen to have resemblences, though I still think it's a stretch
>>
>>30647116
Intended*
>>
File: 1477689614423.png (1MB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1477689614423.png
1MB, 1280x1280px
>An update is available for this software
>All it does is add the remaining Mega Stones to the Battle Tree kiosks

this is my prediction
>>
>>30647198
To be honest, that's better than I'm expecting. At least I can keep using Mega Mawhile to fuck shit up in the Battle Tree. And maybe i'll get over my hatred for Mega Gardevoir.
>>
File: 1480348008072.jpg (28KB, 615x457px) Image search: [Google]
1480348008072.jpg
28KB, 615x457px
>yfw RBY pokemon all come with hidden abilities
>>
>>30647302
they're technically hidden so it would almost make sense.
>>
>>30647302
It'd be a reason for me to even bother buying ports of 20-year-old games that I've already played and have physical remakes of.

I mean, I liked Yellow as much as the next guy, but the game shows its age. You can't expect me to actually want to replay a game that I had balance concerns about at age 5.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.