[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mega Evolution Dark Retcon: Thoughts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

I know most people hated mega evolution; but now that Gen 7 has retconned mega evolution into being this darker thing that turns pokemon into mindless battle monsters, scarring them physically and physiologically...I dunno. Feels rather odd after Gen 6 made it seem like it was a good thing...what do you guys think?
>>
>>30560128
Feels cheap. Like an excuse to abandon the concept
>>
File: 1473690463340.jpg (123KB, 728x576px) Image search: [Google]
1473690463340.jpg
123KB, 728x576px
But I don't want to make my mawile a mindless monster.
>>
I feel like that was always implied.
That's why is such a big deal that you need to have a powerful bond with your pokemon to overcome the stress of mega evolution and keep them under control.
Besides the obvious anime citation, in Mystery Dungeon when you Mega Evolve, you go berserk after a few turns.
>>
>>30560128
>I know most people hated mega evolution
>>
Is Professor Sycamore the absolute stupidest motherfucker ever?

>Hon hon hon, it is about le bonds and friendship!

>your bro screaming and wringing in pain
>>
>When bathed in the energy of Mega Evolution, Shellder converts into impregnable armor. There is virtually no change in Slowpoke.
>>
>>30560128
> most people hated mega evolution
> /vp/ is most people
>>
>>30560280
is /vp/ the only place where people hate mega evolution?
>>
>>30560128
Gonna need a citation on that op
also in the XY anime they had a whole arc about how mega evolving fucked up your pokemon if it wasn't well trained and in sinc with the trainer.
>>
>>30560128
They always were dark, did you not watch the anime to see why you need a good relationship with your pokemon?
>>
>>30560295
/vp/ ability is contrary
>>
>>30560295
/vp/ in general hates everything about pokemon that isn't gen 1 or 5
>>
>>30560257
I'm sorry, I wasn't listening, I was staring rapturously at his incredible hair.
>>
well if youre regarding the volcanion/magearna movie, youd be correct with the mega wave where theyre clearly in pain. however, the regular method with a keystone and a mega stone, and a bond between trainer and pokemon, seems to be harmless to them.
>>
File: Mega_Lucario_vs_Pikachu.jpg (448KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Mega_Lucario_vs_Pikachu.jpg
448KB, 1280x720px
>>30560128
Uhh
It was literally always that way. That's why bonds and friendship and whatnot is so important.
>>
>>30560374
In the anime, Mega Evolution turned Lucario into a Bloodthirsty killing machine.
>>
It was a bad gimmick that they just should never have talked about again.

Z-moves are a bad gimmick too.
>>
>>30560224
When mega glalie was first revealed, the promotional text with it mentions that it breaks its jaw, so I didn't think this stuff was that retcon-y.
>>
>>30560398
Because it was it's first time mega evolving with it's training. It literally had no experience with it prior to then. That's also why, due to the bonds it had with whatsherfuckinname, it was eventually able to control itself.
>>
>>30560398
That's because it was, ironically, too proud of its power.
>>
I wonder what gardevoir's is
>>
>>30560128

You realize it wasn't Gen 7 that did this, right? Super Mystery Dungeon did it first.
>>
>>30560493
Gardevoir becomes hypersensitive to the thoughts of those around them. However, due to the impure thoughts of humans it cannot shut out, it quickly grows to despise humanity.
>>
File: IMG_1724.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1724.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>30560457
But it sure did like to thrash about.
>>
>>30560128
But that's exactly the reason why bonds are needed to stablize them. What >>30560224 said
>>
File: skullgreymon.png (390KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
skullgreymon.png
390KB, 640x480px
>>30560698
Think of it like Digimon, whenever a character has tried to brute force a digivolution, it always resulted in a terrible abomination that threatened to destroy the world.
Same deal.
>>
How about in Pokken where they basically just go Super Saiyan as a finishing move?
>>
>yfw Rotom-Dex is just jealous of Megas and is trying to make it uncool
>>
>>30560836
Isn't that what changing to your Z-Powered forme for a finishing move literally is.
>>
No new megas, darker dex, cant get them all. Hmmm.
>>
But my bro Mega Ampharos...
It's impossible. It's anything but a mindless freak
>>
>>30560661
CARLOS
>>
>>30561464
It's a fabulous freak!
>>
>>30560398
you got me there
>>
How did Gen 7 retcon Megas if Dexio and Sina give you the key ring and a mega stone in the game? Explain Red having Megas and mega stones?
>>
>>30560128
Truth be told, everyone and their mother should've seen it coming
It's a near instantaneous change during combat that only alters the current body
Normal Evolution takes it sweet ass time, change the entire body and allows them to get comfortable in that time
Literally a few only look like it wouldn't fucking hurt, but that's like 3 or so
>>
>>30561902
Vp doesnt even know what retcon means.
>>
File: amph.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
amph.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>30561464
>>
>>30561902
I think what OP is referring to is that the dex entries for Megas depict them as being in tremendous pain and somewhat crazy. See; Lucario, Gyarados.
>>
>>30560128
You realise there is mega evolution in Sun and Moon, right?
>>
>>30561969
Yes, but a bunch are removed.
>>
>>30561991
Not avaiable =/= removed
Trainers still use these unavaiable mega evolutions
>>
>>30561969
Did you read the post? He said they retconned it to be dark, not retconned the whole thing.
>>
I'm pretty sure the writers are trying way too hard with making the material more mature.

The best pokedex entries are toned down and naturalistic, the worst are shit like "This thing kill fucks the universe whenever it blinks". The point of the series is to make these weird creatures your pets/friends, but all these do is make me wonder how literally any living thing survives.

There's also way too much "end of the world" escalation in the stories.
>>
>>30561464
"Overwhelmed by the energy of Mega Evolution, Ampharos' pride reaches never seen before levels. It will violently lash at anyone who dares touch its hair, even its Trainer."
>>
>>30561961
Aerodactyl, Salamence, garchomp, glalie
>>
>>30562049
wait what
>>
I don't know. It seems pretty logical to me. A trainer must have a bond with its pokemon so it doesn't go completely berzerk
This also explains why mega evolution is temporary. It's basically like an adrenaline boost that overloads a mon with power and it wears out over time
>>
File: af4.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
af4.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>30562113
Is this a JoJo reference?
>>
>>30562079
>There's also way too much "end of the world" escalation in the stories.
Gen IV was the worst about this. Gen VI started to bring it back, but Gen VII brings us back to "nah, the only issue is that she's an evil bitch"
>>
>>30562265
Pokemon should never have gone into god territories. That was one of the many mistakes 4 made.
>>
>>30562173
All is fun and explosion until one of your foes in the royale/tree sends it mega mawile.
>>30562079
Yeah.
Fuck Lugia.
>>
>>30562265
I mean, Gen VII has a salient threat, Lusamines UB obsession brings at least 8 UB's into Alola, who threaten towns are are stopped by the skin of Anabel's teeth. Gen VI had two world-ending threats.
>>
Mega evolution is basically radiation.
>physical mutation
>degrades mental functions
>"temporary" (half life)
>activated by alien materials radiating energy
>>
Reminds me of how stupid kalos inhabitants were. They were all in lala land
>>
>>30560128
>Gen 7 has retconned mega evolution into being this darker thing that turns pokemon into mindless battle monsters

keep hearing this stupid meme and it's based off of fucking NOTHING
>>
>>30563736
Ghetsis should have tried to conquer Kalos. Thanks to the stupidity of the Kalos inhabitants, he would have succeeded in 5 days
>>
>>30560295
Most people hate mega evolution
>>
>>30563829
Gen VI never mentioned that mega evolution turned pokemon into agony ridden bloodthirsty monsters.
Gen VII does.
Put it together?

>>30563870
No they don't.
>>
>>30563931
>Gen VII does.

nice source you mong
>>
>>30563965
go and see the entries for megas, M-zam has the skeleton of a paper
>>
>>30563965
>Garchomp
>Its vaunted wings become scythes, sending it mad with rage. It swings its scythes wildly and slices the ground to pieces.
>Salamence
>Mega Evolution fuels its brutality, and it may even turn on the Trainer who raised it. It's been dubbed "the blood-soaked crescent."
>Metagross
>Mega Evolution stimulated its brain. It emerged as a ruthless Pokémon that will clutch at any means of ensuring its victories.
>>
>>30563931
Yes, they do. The vast majority of evolutions look like shit and they have done nothing but add even more power creep to the game
>>
>>30560128
It was literally always implied as >>30560224
stated. There are numerous episodes in the XY Anime touching base on Korrina and her Lucario, which almost killed her once or twice if I'm not mistaken.

Without a proper bond and adequate trainer in control, they go berserk, ignore orders, attack everything and anything, etc.

>>30560818
Yeah, that too. Wasn't there one dude in the Volcanion/Magearna movie that could control a shit-ton of Megas at once?
>>
>>30564120
>my opinions are shared by many

kek dumb fag
>>
>>30560224
>>30560426
>>30560698
>>30564171
XY always treated it as a good thing to be that close to your pokemon. If it's supposed to be something painful and maddening, then using it at all is monstrous, bond or not.
>>
>>30560241
Gamefreak seems to think so.
>>
What's with all the idiots thinking anime is canon to the games?
>>
>>30564478
Ash-Greninja and Pikachu with hats exists. Fuck off.
>>
>>30564851
>A promotional reference to the anime means it's canon.
Are you braindead? The SM anime has already begun to completely contradict the games.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.