[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you feel about how monotype teams work in-game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

So that Flint thread got me thinking:

It's always seemed weird to me that being a type expert is so common in the game and anime, yet it's completely detrimental from a strategic standpoint. I mean, from a flavour perspective it makes sense. Each type has their own mechanics and niche outside of weaknesses and resistances. I don't even like using certain types because they don't fit my play style. It also makes sense that a person growing up where those types of Pokemon live or having a job that's benefited from that type of Pokemon would have an affinity for it.

So basically what I'm wondering is do you guys think monotype teams should be given increased viability?

Like maybe there is a mechanic that gives a percentage stat boost to every Pokemon of a type for every Pokemon of that type on your team? Like you Water Types get a 1.5% stat boost for every one on your team.

Or maybe you could select your expertise like you do your battle style or something, and all Pokemon of the type you select get a 10% stat boost but only as long as that's the only type on your team? Basically exchanging diversity for raw power.

I'm curious to know how you guys would feel about this or if you have any other ideas yourself.
>>
Game Freak won't do it, sadly, although exchanging 'diversity' for a raw power buff would probably be how they do it if they were forced to at gunpoint.
>>
>>30551762
Monotype teams already have a fuckton of versatility.

Unless you mean PURELY monotype, like Pure fighting. Dual typed Pokemon with a common type as a theme make amazing teams.
>>
>>30551864
Yeah, I don't ever expect them to do anything about it. It's just hypothetically I feel there is a better way to have the whole type expert thing coincide with game mechanics.

>>30551963
No dual types are included.
I think that can be true for some type, but for example mono-ice is definitely harder to pull off than mono-water. Would you really say that a good monotype team out preforms a good varied team?
>>
>>30552226
I think some monotype teams can outperform varied teams, but it really depends on which type you're using. If you're using some shit like Ice you're gonna get cucked by any team you see. If you use something like, I dunno, ghost or maybe steel, you're gonna have a much easier time.
>>
>>30551762
Didn't the PWT have a monotype tournament thing? They could bring that back. But you're talking about a whole game where you pick a specialty from the start... I would enjoy that.
>>
>>30552283
That's true. I guess a lot of it comes down to what Pokemon are available for each type and how detrimental their weaknesses are.

I do think that there are two significant inherent disadvantages of monotype teams though:
1. More limited STAP coverage
2. More limited ability to answer certain types defensively (exceptions being dual types where one type grants immunity to the other's weakness, this isn't that common though)

>>30552354
Yeah something like that, with an impact throughout the whole game. It wouldn't just be for the player character either, which I think would make gyms and NPC battle more complex than picking a type their team is weak to and sweeping them.

Maybe a certain expertise gives you a Lusamine style team boost when you send a Pokemon out. Like Rock experts Rock type Pokemon get a Special Defense boost or something.
>>
>>30551762
>It's always seemed weird to me that being a type expert is so common in the game and anime, yet it's completely detrimental from a strategic standpoint.

>It also makes sense that a person growing up where those types of Pokemon live or having a job that's benefited from that type of Pokemon would have an affinity for it.

People in the 'actual pokemon world' have monotype teams because monotype teams are easier to care and provide for. You as the "video game character" obviously don't have to worry about this, but you as the "actual real life pokemon trainer" would have to feed, clean, and keep your pokemon healthy and this is significantly easier if they're not all some varied or exotic animal.

Not trying to shit on the fun or detract from your point- just dictatin' my view on that certain piece of fluff.
>>
>>30551762
>yet it's completely detrimental
Maybe if you suck.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.