[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for suggestions for Trainers for Pokemon Tabletop campaign

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: pokemon tabletop logo.png (15KB, 260x124px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon tabletop logo.png
15KB, 260x124px
> First off, for anyone who doesn't know, Pokemon Tabletop United (PTU) is a fan-made Pokemon tabletop RPG system. It is a parallel successor to Pokemon Tabletop Adventures (which I will not discuss here because it is shite). It takes all the goodness of Pokemon and turns it into a fully-fledged RPG, complete with proper dice-based systems and a fully integrated Pokedex, as well as a large number of additional features and even options for playing in other settings and genres besides the modern-day setting of the canon Pokemon universe.

So I'm currently building a campaign with this system (I've already started it but I'm filling in more things besides the foundation and key elements as I go) and I feel I'm quickly running dry on ideas for Trainers I can throw at my players. Besides the fact that I just simply dislike making up random "generic" NPCs for things as "formal" as Pokemon battles, it's also much easier on me as the DM to create Trainers and their teams ahead of time. The process for building both Trainers and Pokemon is a pretty intensive one, just for the record. I don't need full-on backstories or even names (unless you're desperate to surrender your OC baby for someone else to use); I'm just looking for themes, personalities, and any suggestions for Pokemon they might carry.

Keep in mind that the PTU system is far more expansive than the normal Pokemon games; Trainers can specialize in a variety of battling styles and skills, and some can even learn certain kinds of Pokemon Moves (especially if they're Psychics, Channelers, Sages, etc). Pokemon can also be a lot different to the general members of their individual species in this game, provided they have the physical and mental capabilities; they can wield weapons, learn to speak (several can already use Telepathy), be born as mutants, etc. Basically, the system is a lot more like the manga or the anime than the games themselves. Lots of creative freedom.
>>
>>30451790
(( OP here. Full post was too long to put in the thread starter so continuing here... ))

The setting I'm using is the normal "modern day" Pokemon setting, just in a Region of my own creation (based on the area around the eastern part of the Mediterranean with Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, etc). It ostensibly takes place (I'm not really hard-set on the timeframe) around three decades after the events of Gold/Silver/Crystal. If anyone has any questions about my campaign that would help narrow down their suggestions, or even questions about the system in general I will try to answer them as best I can.

I'm also more than willing to receive suggestions for special wild Pokemon encounters, sidequests, and anything else of the sort that I can throw at my players. The more unusual and novel the better, and don't worry about the potential difficulty or level of mortal danger any of your suggestions you may have! The game has built-in rules for going well beyond the usual cartoonish damage limitations seen in the games or anime. I'm welcoming any and all ideas!
>>
Bumping for hope :c
>>
pity bump
>>
>>30451790
>Luchador that uses Hawlucha, Incineroar, and Steelix to grapple war pokemins while the trainer grapples the trainers, preventing them fro giving effective orders
>>
>>30451790
6 heroes of justice, who spring forth, the Prism Rangers! Pokemon? What're those? These color coordinated chumps take the fight to the player's pokemon directly. Remember your basic Sentai roles when giving them moves and stats. And Red's the leader.
>>
File: Hexagon_Brothers_XD.png (143KB, 457x224px) Image search: [Google]
Hexagon_Brothers_XD.png
143KB, 457x224px
>>30452532
>Prism Rangers
>not a complete ripoff of the Hexagon Brothers
>>
>>30452532
I'd definitely use this idea if I wasn't already planning on having several superpowered asshats that constantly harass the players. 'Course they have actual reasons to do so. Plus, the setting is a little too well-controlled to allow for random teams of chucklefucks to run around beating up Trainers unless they wanna get the law after them.

>>30452495
This is actually an excellent idea for a deputy in one of the Gyms I've already built. Thanks a bunch!
>>
Honestly might be a better idea asking on /tg/. PTU threads are rare, but when they do show up they typically last longer and do better than they do on /vp/.
>>
>>30452597
>Not inciting a turf war between the Prism Rangers and the Hexagon brothers the party doesn't want to get involved in, but is forced into anyways.
>>
>>30452532
See, I would give them type shifted pawniard or bisharp, at least as an ace, that match their color scheme

>>30452715
Could make a rock band out of sonic and social combat classes. One guy as provocateur, another a roughneck, a musician, a dancer, and an athlete roadie?
>>
>>30452736
Ah, thanks for the advice.

>>30452811
Would be funny, surely, but it would be a hell of a lot of work for a sidequest that would go literally nowhere. Still, I might condense that idea somehow...
>>
>>30452896
Re-create the Trojan war as an arc. Now you have roles to fill. PokeOdysseus would be pretty fun. Especially when you have the Odyssey as a campaign
>>
>>30452888
Sadly, I've already got two different "band" groups ready to savage certain players, so another would be a bit redundant. I do like your method of thinking on that, however, covering all the archetypal bases and whatnot. Actually, the idea for a roadie never even occurred to me. Would give me a good excuse to boost the numbers on one of the pre-existing groups.
>>
>>30452811
I may steal that one.
>>
>>30452967
I'm afraid the level of technology and the state of what amounts to a government in the Region would not really allow for a sidequest arc like that.

The campaign itself is a "hidden intrigue"-style plot regarding a new "Team", with the plot itself operating underneath the guise of the bog-standard Pokemon League Challenge as a way to encourage the players to venture about the Region.
>>
>http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Trainer#List_of_Trainer_classes
There are plenty of trainer types in the games to choose from with implied personalities and preferences of what pokemon they use.
>>
>>30453089
That's fair. Is your campaign going to take inspiration from contemporary events in the inspired areas or are you looking for something unique? Also is there a new motif to this new region?
>>
>>30453128
I'm well aware of all the canon Trainer types (and also how to use bulbapedia, thanks). What I'm looking for are novel, hopefully more unique and "characterizable" sorts of Trainers to keep the level of creativity in this campaign at a sufficient level. Besides, most of the commonly-seen Trainer archetypes from the games and such have already been turned into Classes for the system.

>>30453162
Except for the natural landscapes and habitats from the different real-world areas that make up the Region I'm barely taking anything from them to include in the campaign, let alone contemporary events of any type. To be honest I'm taking quite a few creative liberties on the habitats and landscapes as it is.
I'm not really certain what you mean by "motif" though. Elaborate?
>>
>>30453465
Well Unova had a very NYC feel to it with subways and skyscrapers. And france has the whole berry fields and eiffel towers.
Are there any stuff like that. Like say a town canals and gondolas or stereotypical egyptian desert city. Will the ruins in the Greek Area have a Greek architecture?
>>
>>30453646
Oh! Yes, of course. All towns and cities based on real-world locations, especially the major cities (Alexandria, Cairo, Athens, Venice, Rome, etc) will all have varying degrees of motifs specific to their cultures and histories. Of course, a lot of it is streamlined to work with the Poke-centric feel and history of everything, but for the major cities I'm definitely trying to keep to their more quintessential features. Lots of ruins, that's for damn sure.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.