[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what do I have to do/know to not be trash at competitive play?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

So what do I have to do/know to not be trash at competitive play?
>>
>>30445882
EVs and IVs are a given.
What moves are good, what moves are bad, coverage.
Speed is king.
Most importantly, know your metagame.
>>
>>30445882
I'm struggling with this as well. I've known about IVs and EVs since gen. 3 and finally tried making a competitive team in gen. 5. I got stuck and gave up and here I am again in gen. 7 trying to make this work. I have no idea where to start so I just watch other players on Showdown. Yesterday I finally created a team but I doubt it's really all that good.
>>
>>30445882
Know the limits of "pokemon you want to use"

Right now we're still in an evolving meta, so experimentation is fruitful but can be misleading. Something you like that works now can suddenly find itself being checked by something way more popular.

Adapt.
>>
>>30445969
>Yesterday I finally created a team but I doubt it's really all that good.
Have you played a lot with it?
Find out what beats your team, and work in something to beat it. Continue doing this until you go full circle, then give up and start crafting more teams.
>>
>>30445969
Just curious, what's your team?
>>
File: 1480220331611.png (596KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1480220331611.png
596KB, 1600x900px
>>30446166

Here it is.

http://pastebin.com/GkSPuwC2

>>30446066

I guess I should take notes with Notepad then?
>>
>>30445882
Watch battles, see what others do/use

Then use that knowlage to build an original set

It's common sense really
>>
>>30446728
How long did you do that and how good of a player do you consider yourself?
>>
>>30445882
>easy way
watch videos of what they do and how they play
>hard way
do the work and make teams, fail, change team, fail, keep trying till you make something that sticks
>>
>>30446856
>>easy way
>watch videos of what they do and how they play

Hope I can memorize all that shit.
>>
>>30446293
Absolutely everything shits on Excadrill right now.
>>
>>30446970
not play by play but pick up things like
>team composition and roles
>type coverage
>when to switch
>when to gamble
>how to predict(this becomes easier as you remember how certain pokemon are always ran. stated and such)
>how to use opponites over prediction to your advantage
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.