[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do I learn to make a competitive team every single team

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: 1467098104136.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1467098104136.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
how do I learn to make a competitive team

every single team I make on showdown gets stomped and I want to die
>>
Play 1v1 and Monotype.
>>
Go look at Smogon. Whatever your thoughts on them at large are, a lot of good advice, data collection, and understanding of how competitive Pokemon works can be pulled from them.
>>
>>30404876
>If one of your Pokemon has only attacking moves, and isn't holding an Assault Vest or a Choice item, you are doing it wrong
>If your team has more than two weaknesses to the same type, especially if that type is Ice, Rock, Electric, Fighting, or Ground, you are doing it wrong
>If you have two attacking moves of the ame type, and one of them does not perform a very specific secondary function, you are doing it wrong
>If you are pulling from tiers beneath the tier you are playing in, and you don't know exactly what you are doing, you are doing it wrong
>If you say "I don't want that, it's OP and everyone else uses it" to something that fits your team perfectly, you are doing it wrong
>If you are ignoring what is reking you, and not tweaking your team to counter it, you are doing it wrong

>Start with RU, NU, or PU. Fewer tryhards are in those tiers, so you can fuck around and lean more general skils on battling there
>>
>>30405043
Like half of this advice is shit.
>>
>>30405043
>>If you are pulling from tiers beneath the tier you are playing in, and you don't know exactly what you are doing, you are doing it wrong
I don't like this

I don't like using the really OP pokemon
>>
>>30405090
>you are doing it wrong
>>
>>30405090
So (assuming you're OP) you decide not to pick the best mons for your team and then complain about your team not being the best? A team is made up of it's parts.

Also part of the tiering system is not just how good it is, but how easy it is to use. Perfect for beginners.

If you have a problem with the actual Pokemon, try playing a lower tier. This worked for me. I had this "voltturn" team in ou, but it contained some uu and Ru Pokemon. So I decided to translate the team a tier down. All I can remember is that Forretress replaced scizor, but I learned well using that team.

Your initial team doesn't need to be perfect. Play with it a while, note its weaknesses, and fix it.

That's about all the advice I have for that
>>
>>30405357
>So (assuming you're OP) you decide not to pick the best mons for your team and then complain about your team not being the best?
no I just don't like using cookie cutter generic meta teams, and I hate that you pretty much have to unless you have some cheesy one-time strategy
>>
>>30405489
So don't play the game.
>>
>>30405505
ok
>>
>>30404876
I usually go for a theme team, so like pokemon that are have pinchers or pinch in some form. Kind of went from there and made a pretty decent team out of it.
Made a punch-out team with Hitmonchan, called it Lil'Mac. Fucking thing did some great meme magic.
Try and do the same thing, make a theme team and go from there. If it still sucks then I'm not sure what else to suggest.
>>
Make a team, get your ass kicked a bunch of times, replace the mon that makes you lose the most. Rinse, repeat.
>>
>>30405505
I can understand OP's feelings a little bit. There are like 400 fully evolved Pokemon and only ~50 are "the good ones". Obviously balancing everything to be viable is impossible but it's a bit discouraging for a new player to learn their favorites are hot garbage.
>>
>>30405043
>If you don't have your head so far up your ass you can stroke your own ego, than you're doing it wrong
>>
>>30404876
I would suggest using teams made by others for now. Just go and copy the team of someone from high in the ladder.
Try, see if it fits your playstyle and see if you can put it to good use. If face some problem, try fixing that problem instead of changing your whole team. If you don't overall like the team, try another one.
Most important of all, keep at it. Don't stop after a day or a week. Keep at it and you will get good. The more time you spend, the better you will be.

It worked for me. I didn't copy anyone's team, because I wanted to build a team around my favorite Pokemon, but I did learn a lot watching the ones at the top of ladder fight.
Felt great when I, someone who had no past competitive experience, beat everyone in a tournament we had on a forum I frequent, with only around 2 weeks of time to prepare.
>>
>>30405043
>If one of your Pokemon has only attacking moves, and isn't holding an Assault Vest or a Choice item, you are doing it wrong
What if that pokemon is Mega Metagross, Mega Manectric, Mega Medicham, or Weavile?
>>
>>30405866
I think Megas were obviously excluded
>>
>>30404876
Point is to have fun. Use your mons you like and try to compose decent teams with them. Also smogon is a good place to get an idea what is a good set.
>>
>>30405883
>Point is to have fun
Wait, what!? I don't think I ever got the memo on this.
>>
>>30405866
Well, Weavile can make good use of Taunt. Is Agility a thing on Megagross?
>>
>>30405883
so don't bitch when you lose.

Unfortunately, the reality is that most competitive games are like this. You play the meta to compete against the meta. Unless you're ridiculously better than your opponent (unless you're jap, you're not) then playing with OBJECTIVELY weaker pokemon will make your team weaker and reduce your chances of victory.
>>
>>30404876
Go watch PokeaimMD on youtube. He always explains what he's doing and for what reason and he'll usually have the team he uses in a pastebin in the description of the video.
>>
>>30405883
>How to make a competitive team and win.
>How to make a team with non-meta mons that you like.

These things are basically mutually exclusive at this point.

Make a competitive team with the goal of winning at all costs, minmaxed to to hell and beyond, and shit.

That, or you play with your fav mons, and unless your fav mon is smogonsword or something, just accept that the chances of you winning vs minmaxedtohellandbeyond teams are slim to none because your team simply can't compete.

pick one or the other.
>>
>>30405935
>Is Agility a thing on Megagross?
It can be but it's not that common. It's mainly to deal with Sand Rush Excadrill, but it helps against certain scarfmons as well. But most Metagross run Hammer Arm so Agility is usually kind of pointless.
>>
>>30405883
Karen go. There's nothing fun about losing using shitmon.
>>
>>30405090
That is retard advice anyway. Use what best fits your team. For example if your OU team really needs a kingdra for whatever reason then dont hesitate to use it. Just try and avoid pokemon 2 teirs or lower than the one you are playing in.
>>
>>30405489
You dont need to use cookie cutter teams. I got into top 500 using metagross, weavile, magnezone, excadrill, brabe birb and azumarill for a hyper offence team a while ago. You can do well without le ebin landorus and slowbro.
>>
>>30405672
>>30405672
This x1000
>>
>>30404876
showderp
>>
>>30405935
Most weaviles run ice shard, icicle crash, persuit and knock off with a life orb.
>>
>>30407754
>dont need to use cookie cutter teams
>uses a cookie cutter team
These newfags lmao
>>
>>30407754
>metagross
OU
>weavile
OU
>magnezone
OU
>excadrill
OU
>brabe birb
OU
>azumarill
OU
>>
>>30405489
>I hate that you pretty much have to unless you have some cheesy one-time strategy
Bullshit.
>Made a poison mono team with mons that I thought looked cool
>Played on Doubles OU because I thought it would be more fun than singles turns out I was right
>Won about 60% of my fights and would usually only lose to OU: The team or to meme strategies
>Find out later on that my team was made out of UU and RU mons
>>
>>30404916
>lets ban everything!
>>
>>30404876
Understand the meta. If you don't know what your facing then your gonna get destroyed by simple sets. So many scrubs use smogon sets and those are easy to learn. Then build you can build around and within the meta your playing in. Example Toxapex a pain? Alolan Sandslash and Top Lel exist. These two allow you to enter freely and get off SD or fire off some deadly attacks while toxa switches out fearing the EQ or psy.

Naturally your team needs to work together. Alolan Sandslash supported by Obamasnow sounds good but then as you test you realize obamasnow is dogshit and you pick up ninetales. Etc.etc and you continue replacing mons.

Biggest thing is to know what your mons do. Are they there to take special attacks? How about getting in a switch in on some common meta and getting a free boost to sweep? Are they there to support a fragile wallbreaker? How about good ol mermentum uturns? Are they there for rocks + hazards? When can you set up hazards? What switchins do your opponents have against your hazard setter? Weather war?

Look at your enemy team. If you have a win condition. Lets say Porygon Z scarf with tri attack. You'll want to assess for dangerous special walls, priority fighting and ghost types before going for the porygon z win condition. Win conditions depends on your opponents sets and your mons. Sometimes just keeping chansey alive against a shitty pure special attack team is your win condition.

I hope you enjoy reading how to fail at pokemans.
>>
File: 146227684.png (5KB, 266x195px) Image search: [Google]
146227684.png
5KB, 266x195px
>look up Smogon for info
>it's just tons of discussion, no actual tier list yet
>too afraid to just start playing online

I mean I came up with a team synergy that's really simple but I don't think any of it is actually high tier and I have no idea how to approach good movesets/items.
>>
File: 60121511_p0.jpg (2MB, 2591x3624px) Image search: [Google]
60121511_p0.jpg
2MB, 2591x3624px
It's really not that hard at low ladder.

I've been fucking around with a Ghost Monotype in Pokebank OU since Monotype isn't updated for SM yet and win pretty easily.

Just look at what you don't use in your team and get rid of it for something you're lacking.
>>
>>30408075
Yeah man you're right let's all play with a team of six mewtwos instead :^^^^^^^^)
>>
File: 1433775873804.jpg (17KB, 373x339px) Image search: [Google]
1433775873804.jpg
17KB, 373x339px
What i'd recommend is making just a team of whatevers, then do a bunch of matches. Figure out what gives you the most trouble and improve from there. Fast pokemon being annoying? get a mon with a scarf or prankster thunder wave. Physical attackers being a pain? physical tank or mon with intimidate etc.

And be a karenfag. more satisfaction when you win.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.