[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this game so small?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

File: 1479084411320m.jpg (91KB, 1024x577px) Image search: [Google]
1479084411320m.jpg
91KB, 1024x577px
Why is this game so small?

We had rightful expectations of a massive, exploratory adventure (like every gen before 6, but better polished).

Instead we got an incredibly small world, with a ridiculously linear adventure. There wasn't a single fun, puzzling cave all game. Remember Cerulean Cave? Well you were likely too young for gen 1 so probably not, but even first dungeon Mt Moon was more challenging than Poni Canyon.

All the effort was poured into six hours of cutscenes. Being marketed towards 11yos, it wasn't a fantastic story that warranted 99% of the game being poured into it. There isn't good multiplayer to make up for it either to say the least.

An incredibly underwhelming, sad game for a 20 year anniversary. I'd rate it no more than 6/10 at most.

Take off your fanboy goggles and compare it to adventure rpgs.
>>
>>30370854
I love cerulean cave...
>>
If you want other adventure RPGs play other adventure RPGs

Simple
>>
>>30370854
It's incredibly branching, according to a lot of /vp/oreons. I don't really trust them, though.

(not that it makes the game any less linear. i cringe at the thought of all the little kids having this as their first pokemon game, never being able to appreciate the great scope of exploration that the golden era of pokemon offered us. damn fancy graphics, castrating little kids' ablity to perceive good gameplay!)
>>
I hate those fucking caves and am glad that they are gone.

especially the ice skating puzzle ones.
>>
While I would be cool with more puzzles, fuck the caves in this series.
>>
>>30370854
>reminding us of the potential possibility Trump lied to all Republicans to only strengthen his ties to other businesses around the world

Makes a guy thing.

Get in the fucking bag, Nebby.
>>
>>30370854
I'm pretty sure Seafoam Island was bigger than this entire game
>>
Sorry anon I didn't enjoy caves that forced, flash, defog, surf, waterfall, strength all at once at times.
>>
>>30370854
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" isn't a phrase in Japanese, I guess.
>>
>>30370854
I'm still baffled by people who think that this is a good story.

It had a lot of potential with the Tapus vs Ultra Beasts thing, but we never see that besides what, 2 minutes of still shots?

Instead we got a lot of generic waifu. Is this what people want? People want to see generic waifus instead of cool pokemon?

People lash out against the idea of Kanto and Johto remakes, but I'm not feeling SM. It plays like a generic JRPG, not a pokemon game. Why the heck is this game's multiplayer WORSE than gen 6? Multiplayer is what made Pokemon popular in the first place, why is it being neglected?
>>
>>30372685
>It plays like a generic JRPG, not a pokemon game
pokemon is ground floor, entry level jrpg 101.
>>
>>30372685
It was a great story

For Pokemon main series
>>
>>30370854
dude yes! I remember being stuck in mt moon for days because that place was a literal fucking maze, CC wasn't that bad but it still had its hangups
>>
>>30372750
What you liked about it?
>>
>>30372834
I liked that the antagonist was a self-centered asshole and that was made clear to you as the player. Usually it seems like the antagonist in pokemon, ghetsis aside, is some person who wants to change the world to what they think is best. Sun and Moon changed that formula a bit so i personally liked it
>>
Two things I have never enjoyed in pokemon games is caves and deserts, and they love to shoehorn both into the fucking games!
>>
>>30372908
The only desert i out right hate was the one in kalos. Fucking obnoxious winds and pokemon chasing you.
>>
File: Alola Region.jpg (3MB, 10000x7069px) Image search: [Google]
Alola Region.jpg
3MB, 10000x7069px
>>30370854
You could tell how small the world was once we were given the Alola region artwork, dumbass.
>>
>>30372958
Nigga that wasn't even a desert. The one in Alola is like 50 times worse than that.

I didn't mind it because it gave good exp though.
>>
>>30373037
>The one in Alola is like 50 times worse than that
how? it has a point, which makes it infinitely better than kalos.
>>
>>30372891
But this changes the stakes. The Team Skull hooligans turned out to be a joke and a front to an even bigger joke. They interrupt your first island trial and no one notices.

The way Lusamine acts doesn't seem to effect the world around you, especially when the UB storyline is post-game. You just happen to be in the middle of Lillie and Lusamine's soap opera.
>>
>>30371389
I'm seeing a pattern with GF apologists.

>If you want actual exploration, go play other RPGs that have exploration
>if you want actual challenge, go play other RPGs that have a challenge
>if you want a postgame, go play other RPGs that have a postgame
>if you want good competitive online experience, go play simulators

What the fuck is left? The story? No thanks, might as well as save the 40 bucks and just fap to Lillie art while doing any of the above.
>>
I think it feels small because a lot of the story just collided into itself at the end. They should've stretched it out a bit more
>>
>>30373057
regarding
>Fucking obnoxious winds and pokemon chasing you.

Alola's Haina(?) Desert had pokemon dusting by you every few seconds, most of them actually reaching you. You're also on sand that causes wild pokemon battles the entire time.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it way more than the wasteland of Kalos.

The only issue I have with Alola's desert was getting lost, even if I could memorize the old guy's hint.
>>
>>30372685
I think the story had a lot of potential depth, but wasn't executed to that full potential. The Ultra Beasts are a bigger threat conceptually than was presented, and I really would've loved to see more of the Tapus and/or Kahunas defending the Islands. I think its a good story when you stretch it out and fill in the gaps in yourself, but in-game it was really undermining - still better than anything since BW though, for me anyway
>>
guys I SERIOUSLY think the lack of main game content has to do with how many fucking pokemon and pointless items/moves they have now.

There's like fucking 800 of them now, each of them have a 3d sprite, a few move animations and a few ami animations. Then they all have like 50 moves that have to be accounted for, and a fuck ton of them have special moves, items, and special forms that have to be accounted for. Some guy had to painstakingly code in and animate all of Unowns 26 forms or whatever into the game and make sure they all work properly under all conditions.

I know they have a million guys at gamefreak now, but every resource they waste on giving a random pokemon from 5 generations ago a new form or item just to stay consistent between games is a resource that could have been spent making the actual game better.

I'm actually kind of afraid of what's going to happen in generation 8 or 9, when they have over 1000 pokemon, and they have so little room for the rest of the game that the entire thing just takes place on one route. Yeah they will always have bigger cartridges and more money and better technology, but it's no scaling up equally across all aspects of the game. Instead it's being used to make sure castform or whatever stupid shit pokemon is still coded in the game.
>>
>>30372891
While I loved Lusamine's characterization, I feel like her actions had very little impact on me, my player character and Alola. At the end she was suicidal, would die alone. Why did I have to fight her?

Makes no sense to me. It wasn't my problem at all, I was more worried about getting Guzma out of there.
>>
I think GF just doesn't give a shit cause pokefans will buy their games either way
>>
>>30373264
home consoles are the future of pokemon, any interactivity will be over the net or with switch style portable devices that only hold your box info.
>>
>>30373359
>Why did I have to fight her?
you didn't, the main character (Lillie) did, but she couldnt because she was a shitter that never learned to fight with monsters, so her best friend, the support character (you) picked up the slack.
>>
>>30373380
This. They fucking break the bank with every release regardless of what they do. I wouldn't be surprised if Gen 8 only has a gif file of a rotating pile of shit when you put the cartridge in and I bet """review""" sites like IGN would give it a 10/10
>>
>>30373359
I didn't see her as suicidal. I didn't understand trying to stop her though. All she wanted to do was leave. I could understand trying to stop the UBs that entered, but that happens later anyway.

As for her daughter, she wanted her mother back. As her errand boy I guess I could see me fighting Lusamine to back, but only for Lillie, ugh.

Also, why the fuck did Lusamine have a sudden change of heart at the end? Was she glad that we saved her from being poisoned to death or something? They never really explained that.
>>
>>30373436
>yfw PokeBank breaks when it gets updated for SM
>>
>>30373461
>why the fuck did Lusamine have a sudden change of heart at the end?
I think the idea is that by beating the shit out of her team we somehow broke the hold that nihilego had over her mind.
>>
>>30373359
It only affects you because you meet Lillie.

The whole "big bad has ulterior motives" was done way, way better in BW. Ghetsis made Team Plasma to steal pokemon, and you can see their bullshit a mile away.

Aether Foundation funds Team Skull to cause trouble and steal pokemon for... what purpose, exactly? Certainly not to farm their energy to power an Ultimate Weapon that opens wormholes.

They even went back on making Lusamine totally evil.
>>
>>30370854
>massive game
>on 3ds
I sure hope you didn't expect this especially after seeing what they were doing with the graphics. Wait for the switch.
>>
>>30373481
>I think the idea is that by beating the shit out of her team we somehow broke the hold that nihilego had over her mind.
What? That's so stupid, if anything it should've pissed Lusamine off because you hurt her lovelies so she'd attack you herself. You know I actually thought you fight her like the movie monsters in Gen V but we all know Gamefreak hates to add in good features from previous generations.
>>
>>30373545
>muh hardware limitations

Do you even know how much content Monster Hunter 4U has, and how much better it looks while keeping 30 FPS?
>>
>>30373612
she, her pokemon, and nihilego were all connected together, thats why they had z auras. you were literally hurting her with each attack.
>>
I feel like anons conflate Nintendo and GameFreak alot...
>>
>>30373613
Just because it looks better, doesnt mean it'll run any slower/faster. I'm mostly talking data managememt anyway. Think of all the models, animations, textures, music, and scripts that go into a pokemom game. Not to mention maps and cutscenes, which can surprisingly take up a lot. I'm not saying I expect gamefreak to make full use of the switch's hardware upgrade, but the 3ds is immensly outdated, there's no denying that.
>>
>>30373359
>her actions had very little impact on me, my player character and Alola
Honestly, Pokémon stories had been ballooning out of proportion for a while now. The scope of Lusamine and what she was doing is closer to Giovanni's level than, say
>Let's flood the world!
>Let's dry up the oceans!
>Let's completely destroy reality and make a new one!
>Let's ban Pokémon training!
>Let's commit wanton genocide!
>>
>>30373748
If Lillie was actually a trainer the story would have never involved the player character.
>>
>>30373748
Closer and lower to Giovanni.

You see Team Rocket trying to commit crimes, but Lusamine isn't a threat really...
>>
>>30373851
Offhandedly she was a threat cause opening portals let UBs cross dimensions but that's pretty much it
>>
>>30370854
Most mainline titles actually have fairly small regions that become boring to explore once you've progressed past their point in the story/gym challenge. The secret to "long" Pokemon games is a combination of scattering many frequent-yet-short trainer battles fairly close together, high-but-not-too-high random encounter rates, and fairly frequent "story points" that often try to get you to backtrack without you really knowing/realizing that you are. That said, the biggest problem with this is that as of X/Y they have less regional space to work with and a lot of these factors end up far more crammed together than they should be, so the padding and "whole lotta nothing" become more obvious to us. In my opinion, the easiest way Gamefreak can remedy this is by implementing a "Round 2 flag" where you can redo all important puzzles and boss fights endlessly, but with their levels set to scale with your team's average instead (e.g. your team's average level +X).
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.