[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

These games are mighty underwhelming for 20- year anniversary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

File: 1479077746757-1.png (542KB, 1163x2045px) Image search: [Google]
1479077746757-1.png
542KB, 1163x2045px
These games are mighty underwhelming for 20- year anniversary games.

Over the past year we saw rumors from news sites about visiting all the regions, fighting all your old favorite npcs, etc.

The product we got instead, clearly marketed toward 11 year olds by its small scope (as opposed to the massive scope we expected), is simply disappointing.

Rating each gen for what it accomplished FOR ITS TIME, this is easily the worst. I.e., gen 1 was far better for our rightful expectations in 1996 than this was for our expectations today.

5 > 2 > 1 > 4 > 3 > 7 (never played six, but I've played since rb came out otherwise)
>>
>>30340217
Yeah,Gen 6 was better.
>>
>>30340217

>rehashed sprites from previous game

vs

>mostly new 3D models and some rehashed

really makes you think
>>
>>30340217
It's literally full of references to older regions everywhere, from designs to text to music to characters, fuck they even crammed Colosseum music in there.

Actually expecting to visit all the regions on a 3ds cartridge is just being fucking retarded and these are the best first 2 games of a generation in a long, LONG time
>>
>>30340217
>muh cameos
Literally who fucking cares
>>
Don't base your expectations on rumors.
>>
>>30340217
>(as opposed to the massive scope we expected)
The other people thinking this was gonna be some huge expansive 20th anniversary celebration were naive simpletons. Of course it's a game market towards 11 year olds. Every single entry in the series has been.
>>
>>30340217
>>30340217
I noticed they arent doing anyone from Johto. Every other region has two reps except Sinnoh. Counting Anabel as a hoenn rep. Though you could count looker as sinnoh
>>
>>30340285
Not really complaining about lack of character art from pwt - I see this line posted verbatim every other thread. It's merely the most relevant image I have regarding the scope of the games.

Frankly, all of sm went into cutscenes, as opposed to the world itself.
>>
File: 1475438314421.png (1MB, 3408x2480px) Image search: [Google]
1475438314421.png
1MB, 3408x2480px
>>30340217
The only arguably weak things this game has is small amount of new pokemon and no separate pss menu.

If you actually believe ruby/sapphire or diamond/pearl are better than Sun and moon you have to be out of your fucking mind.

>>30340351
Johto is on the feel of the entire game, from buildings to atmosphere.

Malie city was literally made in Johto style
>>
>>30340217
Red looks like Shit.
>>
>>30340217
Gen 6 was garbage, this gen is much better imo, they dropped the ball with alot of shit but they tried something new

The pandering to gen 1 is getting out of hand though
>>
>>30340296
Colosseum music?
>>
Again, I'm not overly concerned about cameos or even the pwt. Excuse the image.

The simple fact is that this games world is very small and underwhelming.

I won't even mention the lack of a national dex.
>>
>>30340437
Lusamine theme has bits of Colosseum free battle composition on it
>>
>>30340393
>If you actually believe ruby/sapphire or diamond/pearl are better than Sun and moon you have to be out of your fucking mind.

DP were the first games to have an online mode.
We could finally battle on cartridges over the internet instead of relying on NetBattle.

SM were the first games to....?
>>
>>30340456
The game literally shits itself on start or anything other than regular single battle.

I don't think they could've added much more even if they wanted to.

The world does feels a bit small and I'm hoping stars is real and makes it much better, but it's also the most developed and cohesive world so far.
Everything feels connected and immersive
>>
>>30340456
>lack of a national dex
Literally useless until the bank update, which will include the national dex.
>>
>>30340393
>Johto is on the feel of the entire game, from buildings to atmosphere.
Why not just shit on Johtofags faces?

They could have put Eusine still trying to find Suicune or something.
>>
>>30340495
>SM were the first games to....?
To be truly awful.
>>
>>30340296
I don't know how you can say that. There wasn't a single puzzling cave to explore. Vast poni canyon was comparable to mt moon of gen 1.

That's merely a microcosm of the game's entire problem in its tiny world and scope.

It's to be an RPG, I remind you.
>>
>>30340533
Jesus christ anyone but fucking eusine.

I would've liked morty or claire but that's about it, johto characters are not really that great and the most memorable thing about it was the region itself
>>
>>30340495
Allow you to increase IV's
>>
>>30340495
>DP were the first games to have an online mode.
That doesnt make it better though. SM has online mode too. Just because DP was first doesnt mean much.

I liked Platinum better than SM though

Gen V is my fav gen though. Good story but not overwhelming like SM, good characters, all new pokemon with great designs.
>>
>>30340495
DP were also the first games to have this

Slowest fucking surf speed
Slowest battles
Slowest fucking start until XY
ONE fire type until elite 4
Babies and legendaries are like 50% of the dex
and I can keep going

Platinum was good, diamond and pearl were wasted potential that was terrible to play until platinum fixed it.
>>
>>30340511
An interesting perspective. I feel this way about some parts of the game like the first island, which was a definitely good area for what it's supposed to be.
>>
>>30340466
That's neat, I can't really hear it though, is it the battle theme or just her over world theme?
>>
I mean the first group are the participates in a WORLD tournament and the second group are some folks who traveled to another region to fight in a tree.
>>
>>30340217
>Over the past year we saw rumors from news sites about visiting all the regions, fighting all your old favorite npcs, etc.
If you actually believed this bullshit, you need to go back to ribbit where they hype no mans sky and other such unproven hypes
>>
>>30340625
After the shit that was XY and ORAS I'm glad we got SM.

They felt so incredibly generic and made just to get them out of the fucking way, no detail, no love, nothing.

SM has details fucking everywhere and nods to all generations.
I found it great how malie city garden was basically a replica of ecruteak, or how the garden bridge had the five nugget trainers with the last guy wondering what their old boss Giovanni was up to.
I loved colress being there, loved alola forms, how they used several gens for poke riding giving them all their own thing and taking some things from the anime, which made hm slaves a thing of the past.

Loved the johto balls being back, although they could bring them back in masse
I loved the referencing to BW music style in koni koni and other places.
Mimikyu having a picture of ash with pikachu and much more stuff

But at the same time, the region keeps it's own identity.
You can't put every single thing about every region or suddenly it's a mix match of shit and the region is suddenly no longer memorable because it's just rehashes from the other generations.

Can't forget that world tournament was on BW2, BW1 didn't had that much.

should probably expect a lot more on stars, this is probably as good as it gets for a first game of a generation and it screams "we put effort into this shit" everywhere
>>
Gen V is easily the best set of first games but I think SM is close second.
>>
>>30340590
BW's story was bad and forced on you just as much as SM's. 2 was a lot better in that respect but the first games in that generations were really underwhelming. I've replayed every game in the series multiple yes but BW just feel like a chore to go through every time. Not done yet with SM so I don't know about that yet, but fuck BW's story so hard. Don't even get me started on N.
>>
>expecting massive scope from first of a generation with less dev time than XY

lmao
>>
>>30340285
not only this but each of the battle tree combatants also had unique battle music to their gen too
>>
>>30340296
>Actually expecting to visit all the regions on a 3ds cartridge is just being fucking retarded

People said the exact same thing about animated sprites, and all of them miraculously shut the fuck up once BW came out.
>>
>expecting a good pokemon game with less dev time than XY

lmao
>>
>>30341495
Fine, we'll have it your way then. All 7 regions.

Congratulations, the six other regions have been tremendously simplified in such a way, that they now consist of long paths with maybe a small patch a grass, a couple buildings, and maybe the occasional trainer.
>>
File: 1479077746757.png (97KB, 360x948px) Image search: [Google]
1479077746757.png
97KB, 360x948px
>>30340217
>>
>>30340217
It just triggers muh autism FARRRR more than it should that the battle tree is fucking nine guys.

Eight would have been cooler. Ten, eleven, twelve, fantastic. Seven even sounds alright. But nine is just...it's such a pussy number. Like why the fuck not spring for 1-3 more at that point?
>>
>>30341932
What's this? The memorable characters?
>>
>>30341495
We had animated sprites before that you moron, it wasn't a surprise or anything. Plus they only had one loop of a few movements and didn"t react to moves, that was hardly any harder to implement than the oned in fucking crystal.

Other regions in 3d on the other hand would require lots of disk space and a very slow exp curve.
>>
>>30340566
Silver or Lance. One or both of those two plus one more unknown new character would have salvaged the BT.
>>
>>30342522
The characters they should've put in the tree.
>>
>>30340495
By that logic Ruby and Sapphire are great games as they:
>Introduced Double Battles
>Introduced Abilities
>Introduced Choice Band
>Introduced Natures
>Refined the PC system
>Introduced Ribbons
>>
>>30340590
>Just because DP was first doesnt mean much.

This is so stupid. You compare games based on their appropriate times, ten years ago being able to play online on the DS was a huge deal.

Carrying over such important feature just means that GF isn't pants on head retarded.

Not related, but reminder that BW were the first games to have random match making and ranking ladders. This is an important fact that nobody gives credit to when shitting on gen 5.

>>30342846
How are these even comparable?
>>
>>30341495
Expecting the game to have all 7 regions combined is nothing more than delusional, anon.

SM is very polished for the first game of a gen. And yet it didn't meet your overblown expectations.

Of course you were bound to be disappointed.
>>
>>30342487
It's not nine guys but the nine cameos characters. There are more named characters in the battle tree
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.