[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will we ever get masterpieces like this again? Gen 8 maybe?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7

File: hgss.jpg (55KB, 455x309px) Image search: [Google]
hgss.jpg
55KB, 455x309px
Will we ever get masterpieces like this again? Gen 8 maybe?
>>
>>30331179
You misspelled "utter shit" OP.
>>
>>30331218
kys for your shit taste
>>
>Didn't even fix any of Gen 2's many problems
>"masterpieces"

lol

There's no such thing as a Pokemon game masterpiece
>>
>>30331347
Actually besides the level curve it did. It had the best postgame of any series. The amount of stuff you could do was insane.
>>
>>30331269
You first Sempai
>>
>>30331377
Any post game that fucks with the main game is utter garbage, and you know it.
>>
We already got games that were better than HGSS.
They were called Black and White. And Black 2 and White 2. And Sun and Moon. And dare I fucking say it, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.
>>
>>30331487
All utter shit except BW2. Kill yourselfm Sun and Moon were complete garbage and lacked a post game.

>>30331378
Nope because HGSS always get voted as the best games in strawpolls on this board.
>>
>>30331568
>post game makes the game not the actual game

stop
>>
>>30331568
Prove it
>>
>>30331646
They do you fucking idiot. It's part of the game.

>>30331649
Look in the archives.
>>
>>30331568
>Sun and Moon were complete garbage
kek
>>
File: 1471554799728.gif (2MB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
1471554799728.gif
2MB, 350x197px
SM are my favorite games yet

fight me
>>
>>30331568
>johtoddlers always say their games are the best

wow it's fucking nothing
>>
>Gen 2 meme

>MUH POST GAME

Enjoy the shittiest region in existance fucko, with the most garbage variety of wild Pokémon it makes gen 1 look good
>>
>>30331796
>shit postgame
>easy as fuck, handholdy like crazy
>great majority of the new mons are terrible
>trials are a downgrade from gyms
>story is retarded
>do almost nothing with the aether foundation despite all the hype
>removal of pss
>removal of trainer encounter themes
>removal of supet training

Want me to keep going?
>>
>>30331179
Not quite a masterpiece
>>30331218
certainly not utter shit

it's a proper 9/10 Pokemon game
not on the inflated "everything below 9/10 is shit" reviewing scale but an actually 90% quality game approved by the fans
Can't we all be civil and agree on this?
>>
>>30331347
>Didn't even fix any of Gen 2's many problems

By problems you mean your own nitpicking?
>>
>>30331851
Go make a thread with a poll about the best games. HGSS wins in the majority.
>>
>>30331977
>9/10
>full of glaring problems that ruin the game
>>
>>30331956
I'll address yours one by one.
>shit postgame... Like most Pokemon games
>a vast improvement over XY/ORAS and doesn't have a shit level curve like HGSS
>Fantastic designs, stats don't have to be great. Power creep isn't necessary, meta is being redfined
>Subjective. I liked the freshness of the trials
>Subjective, but general consensus seems to be that the story was one of the best (if not the best) in Pokemon history
>almost nothing is totally equal to main villain, lore, etc.
>PSS removal is dumb, admittedly, but they at least put something in its place
>Fair enough
>Who the fuck cares? Super training was worse than hordes anyways, and now you can SOS chain for even better EVs
Fuck off with your shitty logic.
>>
>>30331770
You think I have time for that on my shitty complementary hotel wi-fi
>>
Only if Morimoto directs again.
>>
>>30332431
The PSS was removed because they're return to a single screen on the Switch
>>
>>30331218
This.
And we just got masterpieces you prat
>>
>>30331377
>kanto
>good postgame
Off your nostalgiaglasses gramps
>>
>>30332543
I can't wait until you Starsfags get BTFO, just like Zfags were.
>>
>>30332431
>like most pokemon games

Not like HGSS, Platinum, BW2, or Emerald though dipshit.

>a vast improvement xy and oras

This means nothing you fucking idiot. It's not hard to improve over dogshit. It's still one of the easiest games in the series. HGSS is much more challenging.

>fantastic designs

Nope. Name some. A lot of the designs are rehashed from earlier gens.

>stats don't have to be great

Wait you're fucking serious? AHAHAHAHA

>I liked the freshness of the trials

Because you have shit taste. Gyms were much better.

>consensus that it was the best story

Bullshit. Link it now.

And I stopped reading there. Your poor excuses and justifications are why this series keeps getting worse with every gen.
>>
>>30332543
Ah, right, I completely forgot about that!
>>30332635
The credibility of the leakers makes me hesitate to say that it's not going to happen. I'm expecting Stars to happen, though it may just be a codename.
>>
>people hate gen 5
>people love gen 2/remakes

Makes no fucking sense to me.
>>
>>30332727
Nobody itt hates gen 5. The holy trinity is hgss/platinum/bw2
>>
>>30332395
>glaring errors
This is pure hyperbole. The games were good.
>>30331977
I would hesitate to say they are the best in the series, but anyone who denies they were at least solid entries to the franchise is just baiting or underage.
>>
>>30332688
>>30332688
Did you just say HGSS had good post-game? Fucking hilarious. Empty Kanto was great to explore, sure. BW2 had good postgame I suppose, and Emerald was okay, but that's a whopping two games.
HGSS is much more challenging because it was designed like shit. The level curve is fucking atrocious.
Plenty of fantastic designs. All of the starters, Komala, Rockruff's line, Bewear's line, all of the Tapus, the Ultra Beasts, Necrozma, Dewpider's line, holy shit are you blind? Yeah I'm serious about stats, there are plenty of Pokemon that are good or will have good usage in lower tiers. Not everything has to be OU.
Gyms were shit and getting old as fuck. Trials were much more fun.
You literally just have to look at the board. 9 times out of 10 I've seen people praising the story while the other 1/10 shit on it.
Whatever, troll on my dude.
>>
>>30332813
>empty kanto

Kanto had a ton of trainers to battle and new stuff to do in HGSS. This meme is only true for the originals.

Yes HGSS had an amazing post game. Kanto is just part of it.
>>
File: 1480344720126.jpg (25KB, 749x537px) Image search: [Google]
1480344720126.jpg
25KB, 749x537px
>>30331179
>we'll never have walking pokemon again
>>
>>30332813
Do not mistake GSC Kanto for HGSS Kanto. The remakes added much more, to the point Kanto in HGSS is just as full as FRLG Kanto minus the Sevii Isles.
>>
>>30332813
>the level curve ia fucking atrocious

This is the only legitimate criticism.

>plenty of fantastic designs

We already had a fucking owl pokemon. We already had multiple cat pokemon. We had a seal pokemon.

>komala

This is all you have.

>rockruff

Already plenty of dog pokemon. Already plenty of bear pokenon.

Wow. This entire gen rehashed the shit out of designs we already had in the previous games. Thanks for proving my point.

>yeah im serious about the stats

Because you're an idiot.

>gyms were getting old as fuck

Then replace it with something better. The trials were shit.

>l-look at the board

kys
>>
>>30332008
>let's clutter the page with a fifth best gen thread for the hour

no thanks
>>
>>30333023
Taking inspiration from other animals makes designs worse? How in the ever loving fuck did you like any Pokemon at all? There were already fucking repeats in Gen 1, don't use that as an excuse.

>Acting like stats matter
They may be useful for competitive, but just with the Tapus this meta is getting redefined. There are good Pokemon from here, and there are bad ones. Not every Pokemon needs to be OU, faggot.

Trials were better than gyms.

>fake stuttering
kys, you clearly haven't been looking at any thread for the past week and a half
>>
File: 1465292466989.png (433KB, 703x349px) Image search: [Google]
1465292466989.png
433KB, 703x349px
>>30332898
Judging from the large amount of overworld models in SM, I think we JUST missed out on them in those games. Gamefreak probably modeled a large percentage of the 774 Pokémon but lazed out when the release date closed in and shelved the feature for a later game. It is entirely possible that if we get more gen 7 games they will have overworld models, if not this gen then possibly 8th gen.
>>
>>30333154
Gen wun was fucking trash too. "b-but gen wun did it" is not an excuse.

Stats do matter as this is a game that revolves around battling. Competitive battling is a big part of it too. There were far too many shitmons this gen. There is no excuse for this.

>trials were better than gyms

They really weren't. Gyms offered a much better challenge.

Kill yourself as soon as possible.
>>
>>30333355
By that logic, all gens are trash as they all have designs that draw inspiration from similar creatures.

Stats matter, but there are plenty of good Pokemon this time around as well. There weren't a ton of FANTASTIC mons, but there were plenty that are simply good.

Trials were much better than gyms. As I said this is subjective, but I'm not sure you know the meaning of that word.

Relieve the world of your idiocy immediately.
>>
>>30333355
>Gyms offered a much better challenge.
I've never once felt challenged by a gym leader. All they offer is fighting more mons. Here I at least had to try different things during some battles.
>>
>>30331377
Kanto is not good postgame dude.

By walking tiles, exp given and Pokémon unlocked the battle zone from Pt still outclasses Kanto as a region.

B2W2 completely blew Johto out of the water on the amount of shit to do without connection.

Sorry dude, nostalgia is the only thing that Make Kanto as postgame look decent when in reality it is just garbage. The core game of Johto is fucked die to the level curve and shit encounter rates.
>>
>>30333467
The problem is that this gen rehashed designs out the ass you fucking idiot. You pretend the designs are good when they are not. Most of the UBs look like digimon shit save for a few.

All you're doing is committing a tu quoque fallacy. Good thing you brought up gen wun though. This gen again pandered to gen wun fags out the ass and the alolan forms were trash.

Regarding stats, again this gen had far too many shitmons versus viable mons. This is another fault. Did it have some good mons? Sure but it had a ton of shit this time around.

No. Again trials were a poor mans gym. Totem pokemon were a shittier gym leader.

Jump into a volcano you moronic shit. Fags like you are why the games get worse with every gen.
>>
>>30331977
9/10...

Thats fucked up dude.

If I'm kind I'll give it a 6/10, delayed games when they where still called Pokémon 2, the remakes didn't fix shit outside of a couple of movepools and the split.

Fucked up level curve, fucked up encounter rates for the new mons, mediocre postgame that us barren as fuck and topped hard by both platinum and B2W2 in exp, available Pokémon lines and content.

Kanto gives the illusion of content but it's all shit.

And no the fluff of walking Pokémon, environmental sounds and cute colors don't make a good game, this is like saying that a small graphic jump makes a counter strike game better, it fixes nothing.

Johto is only regarded high due to nostalgia.
>>
>>30333697
>Implying reusing very general concepts is a bad thing
>Implying Digimon-esque designs is bad for creature from another fucking dimension
>implying Alolan Forms were bad (only Diglett/Dugtrio)
>Implying most gens don't have more shit than good
>Implying trials were worse than gyms
Wew lads, we got ourselves a Grade A moron. Seems like he needs to jerk himself off while shivering his ass off on his precious Mt. Silver.
>>
>>30332866
Kanto has shit experience, it is confirmed the platinum battle zone offers more. Nostalgia is blinding you.
>>
>>30333583
>kanto is not a good post game

Completely retarded. All the new towns and cities to explore, all the new trainers to battle, the new gyms to fight is a good post game.

BW2's postgame is essentially

>pwt
>white treehollow/black tower
>being able to visit the towns and cities from bw1 that were blocked off by dancing clowns

PWT's main appeal is seeing sprites from earlier games again and the remixed music. I still liked it though.

>white treehollow/black tower

Boring and annoying to explore.

>being able to revisit areas from bw1 that were blocked off

Inferior to Kanto.
>>
>>30331179
>less content than Platinum
>gimmicks out the ass
>only half a level curve
>terrible item distribution
If an auto run button makes a game a masterpiece in your eyes, then no, we probably won't ever get another one.
>>
>>30333914
Oh boy look at this nostalgia blinded retard, a bunch of walking tiles and fanservice doesn't make a sizeable content.

Trainers have shit levels and the routes are barren as fuck in HGSS, the cities are barely explorable, gyms are the only saving grace and even there they aren't high in levels to justify anything.

It gives you the illusion of content, but it is fucking nothing.

Tree/Tower was a decent spin on postgame content, it's tedious yet it still has a sliver of challenge, it also comes with the reward of a shiny.

The blocked areas actually have side missions and unlockable content, it's way better lore wise than Kanto, exp wise is miles ahead of it too.

Come dude, cry some more. I want to see when your nostalgia googles fall down.

Also B2W2 has a decent game when compared to the shit hole that was Johto and is filled with rewarding disk one nukes along with an exp system that also enables you to rotate without fear of going underleveled.
>>
>>30333761
>implying rehashing past designs is a bad thing

Yes it is. Gen wun can be excused as it was the first games in the series. Continuously rehashing the same designs indicates a lack of new ideas. Komala is one of the few new designs that is not rehashed. It's not like Pokemon has used every real life animal has a design yet.

>implying digimon-esque designs is bad

They look like complete shit and don't belong in the game at all.

>b-but muh multiverse and other dimensions

Shit concept that has been done to death in games already.

>implying alolan forms were bad

Alolan persian sucked. So did alolan rattatta. Same with Golem who looks like a terrorist. Grimer is a recolor.

>implying most gens don't have more shit than good

This gen had 95% shit and 5% good. What other gen is the same?
>implying trials were worse than gyms
>implying they weren't

Sun and Moon were shit continuing the legacy of terrible 3ds games.
>>
>>30334201
All of the new Pokemon look NEW. I don't understand what your gripe is with them besides you being a fucking autist.

They look great and clearly belong in the game because GameFreak decides what belongs in the games. Not us.

Yeah, and it's being done in Pokemon, so suck it up or go play another game series dickhead.

The Alolan forms were great, fuck off.

This gen had 70/30, at least.

Trials were better than gyms. We've been over this, anon.

Seriously, at this point, you might as well just go play another game series. You've clearly shown you're not happy with the games with your precious nostalgia glasses.

>B-BUT MUH KANTO
Fuck off, Kanto was shit since the beginning and was shit in HGSS.
>>
>>30332813
>Necrozma
>good design

i have never seen a more trash opinion than this

i mean holy shit necrozma has to be the biggest piece of shit design in the entire series
>>
>>30334147
>trainers have shit levels

Actually their mons are well in their 40s and 50s. Identical to what most teams would be after beating lance the first time. You're dumb.

>the routes are barren as fuck

Except they were packed with trainers. Again you're an idiot.

>cities are barely explorable

What the fuck? The cities were significantly expanded upon from the originals. What do you mean "barely explorable"

>aren't high enough in level

Except for the fact that leaders mons were well into the 50s. The levels you face trainers and such on are the same to what most teams would be on after beatibg lance for the first time. My highest level pokemon was 51. Surge had a 53. The battles were challenging.

>it gives you the illusion of content

There is no illusion you fucking idiot.

The trainers had pokemon that were leveled well within into 40s and early 50s. Again, mirroring the levels of most teams after entering the hall of fame for the first time.

>the blocked off areas have side missions and unlockable content

So does Kanto idiot. The unlockable content that comes to mind is legendaries. Kanto had many unlockable legendaries too. The other thing I can think of were the flashbacks that told you what happened after BW1, which while neat hardly constitutes as gameplay.

>lore wise

HGSS lore is superior to BW2. Ecurateak City alone shits on any BW2 town or cities lore.
>>
File: 1823021-293.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1823021-293.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>30334490
>>
>>30334300
>all of the new pokemon look new
>he actually believes this

No, most of them look like rehashed designs of previous concepts. This is what this gen did. Instead of introducing new designs based on animals they have not done before like komala, we get shitty bewear or litten despite the games already having a multitude of bear and cat pokemon.

UBs are fucking fanfiction-tier. The designs look like deviantart shit.

>the alolan forms were great

lmao.

Gyms offered a better challenge had more substance and the leaders themselves were much more interesting. Watch how trials get dropped next gen and gyms make a comeback. Totem pokemon are a shittier attempt at a gym leadet.
>>
>>30332727
That's because you're a contrarian. Gen 5 was the worst Gen out of the first five until XY and SM manage to top it. The franchise went to trash after HGSS.
>>
>>30334147
>Trainers have shit levels and the routes are barren as fuck in HGSS, the cities are barely explorable

I sure hope you haven't defended S/M anywhere in this thread then because it is easily the most railroaded barren game in the entire series. I feel like I'm playing a Telltale Walking Dead game, all I do is move around an empty on-rails overworld, sometimes getting to choose either a witty or sympathetic response, being bomarded with cutscenes every five steps and battling worthless trainers who only have one Pokemon, for 99% of the game.
>>
>>30334147
>it's not postgame if I don't want it to be!

Kek, come back when you're 18, unovabortion.
>>
>>30334710
No, they look new. Sorry you're too busy looking at nostalgia to see that Bewear isn't fucking Ursaring, dumbass.

They are great, sorry you don't like them.

No shit trials will get dropped you dumbfuck, it's an Alola exclusive. Shitty point is shitty.
>>
>>30331377
>main game is shit
>b-but the postgame!

postgame content should not affect the content of the main game, they half assed the originals and they half assed the remakes.
>>
File: gavin1.jpg (55KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
gavin1.jpg
55KB, 500x500px
>>30334688
>liking the paper mario boss pokemon
>>
>>30334958
>they look new

tip top kek. The first reaction was "another fucking bear pokemon didn't we have multiple designs basef on bears already"

And it reminds me more of beartic t bh.

Trials are shit. Gyms are better. Get over it faggot.
>>
>>30335097
I mean yeah, it looks pretty legit.
>>30335125
Who cares how many bears we have? They're different and they're each pretty fucking cool.

Trials are awesome. Gyms were cool at first, but they got repetitive as hell and needed to be spiced up or replaced at least for 1-2 generations. If we see them again in the next games I wouldn't mind, but I'd prefer more trials (if it's still in Alola) or some other replacement Gen VIII.
>>
>>30334300
>Trials were better than gyms. We've been over this, anon.

Wrong. Fighting three piss-weak Wishiwashi and then one strong School-Form Wishiwashi was not an engaging or interesting challenge.

It's far more engaging to work your way through a Gym puzzle, fighting strong trainers, and then taking on a Gym Leader.
>>
>>30335184
>they're different

It's another fucking bear. Again get new designs dipshit. More based on all the other animals that GF has yet to base a pokemon on.
>>
>>30334688

necrozma is such a fucking mess of a design you can't actually make out any of its features
>>
>>30335246
>it's another fucking anything
It's a good design, who cares about the source material? Bears are a general concept, being pissed off because they reused a super general concept? Fucking autism at its finest.
>>30335262
I can understand that, but when you look at the official pictures with the colors it looks a thousand times cooler. I thought it was garbage at first, too.
>>
>>30333751
>Johto is only regarded high due to nostalgia.
Confirmed B2W2 nostalgia blinders on this faggot in full force.

t. guy who played HGSS for the first time this year and easily has it in the top tier where it belongs.
>>
>>30335229
>>30335229
A gym puzzle? Strong trainers? Dude, gyms are so incredibly boring. Maybe in a few gens it'd be nice to see them reintroduced, but for now they need to rest. They've been exhausted. It's far more fun to do trials, at least for now. I wouldn't mind gyms coming back in remakes or Gen 9, but I would really like another gym replacement thing in Gen 8. Or perhaps gyms in Gen 8, but a gym replacement in Gen 9.
>>
>>30335415
I bet you also think the removal of overworld dungeons/puzzles is a good thing, don't you? Much better to have everything on rails to the point where player input is almost unnecessary, right? A funny cutscene of a captain making a meal for a Pokemon while you blindly mash the A button is SO much more rewarding than a traditional Gym.
>>
File: 1425802508469.jpg (41KB, 379x437px) Image search: [Google]
1425802508469.jpg
41KB, 379x437px
>>
>>30334710
I much prefer trials over gyms, but I would put down money that gyms will be back next game. Game Freak loves their regional gimmicks.
>>
I miss puzzles and cave dungeons. And as the world begins to feel bigger as they step up their presentation game, the actual size and complexity of routes has taken a drastic drop.

Gen 7 was great fun but I'm really hoping they lift up a bit on some of these downward trends soon.
>>
>>30334710
Red Pandas aren't bears. Technically, we do have a red panda and a raccoon pokemon already, but neither of them look like bewear, so that's okay. They may have done designs based on animals that we sorta already have already, but a lot of them are still different from what we have.
>UBs are fucking fanfiction-tier. The designs look like deviantart shit.
They INTENTIONALLY look OUT OF PLACE because they are from ANOTHER DIMENSION
for fuck's sake
I don't get how yall are so fucking thick about this
>lmao.
Cunt-o shilling aside, there is literally nothing wrong with alola forms. Infinitely better than that Mega nigger garbage.
>gyms offered a better challenge
Not really
>had more substance
Extremely easy "puzzles" and a slew of boring trainer fights isn't substance
>leaders themselves were much more interesting
The trial captains have more personality and character and memorability (for the most part) than all the gym leaders from every other game combined. I literally don't remember any of the gym leaders after gen 2, and I've played through each game countless times.
>trials get dropped next gen
This is going to happen regardless of whether or not game freak thinks they're better than gyms, and you know it. Game freak drops amazing game mechanics/quirks that are universally loved every single gen.
>shittier attempt at a gym leader
No, it's a different experience that focuses more on your adventure through the plot rather than giving you a "tough" challenge that you'll forget five minutes after you wipe the floor with it. Totems aren't easier than gym leaders, they just go by quicker because you just fight one big pokemon and a couple cronies. You win extremely easily with the exact same strategy; determine type, use pokemon that resists and hits that type effectively, and grind a couple levels above so you have a guaranteed stat advantage.

Gyms could literally just be a hallway with trainers and the only difference would be that it would be less tedious.
>>
>>30337227
I can't help but feel that gen 6 and 7 are very much trial/testing gens. Gen 6 being the testing gen for the transition to 3D, and gen 7 was SUPPOSED to be a testing gen for a full transition to 3D via the Switch, but the switch got delayed and here we are.
I do love gen 7 though. I just have a good feeling that, as long as they get something on the switch before gen 8, gen 8 will flesh out all the lacking areas of the last two.
>>
>>30331218
this.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.