[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Future of Pokemon? (DISCUSSION)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1470874909204.png (152KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1470874909204.png
152KB, 500x400px
Pokemon is a major money-maker. In 2014 it made $1.5 billion. It's also an iconic series, almost as iconic as Super Mario. So we know that Pokemon isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It seems to be one of those video games that will always be "a thing" due to it's popularity and appeal to both new/old fans (besides a couple special snowflakes here on /vp/) similarly to the Super Mario series. But each game adds more and more Pokemon. Eventually there's going to be well over 1,000 (if not 2,000). So how will they make it more realistic and feasible to catch them all?

Gamefreak has already made it easier to acquire more Pokemon much quicker as the series has progressed. Be it through events, the new scanner system, the GTS, Poke Pelago, etc. But what will they do in the future? Will they simply create more ways to make it easier to catch all the Pokemon, or will they simply continue what the did in Sun and Moon and only use the Regional Dex as a requirement to get the Shiny Charm rather than the National Dex? Technically, you'd still be "catching them all", but just only in the region you're currently in rather than all the regions.

My prediction is that Gamefreak will continue adding more Pokemon (perhaps at a rate similar to Gens 6 and 7) and will focus much more on regional completion than national completion. Of course, they could always add a special reward for catching every single one, but that's a different discussion entirely.

What are your thoughts?
>>
what if mega slaking had huge power
>>
>>30325591
>could of made the next big thing like youkai watch, pokemon, digimon, etc
>instead i waste my time shitposting and playing children's video games
>>
I think 3d is killing Pokemon, I think 3d is restricted them from making large routes, or caverns.

I remember back in D/P getting lost in Mt. Coronet or Eterna Forest, I was younger back then but I did get lost.
>>
>>30325740
It's literally just a discussion. If you don't have anything to say to contribute to the conversation, why waste your time?
>>
>>30326013
for the (You) of course
>>
>>30325591
I see pokemon celebrating its 70th anniversary in the future, which is unheard of for video game franchises.
>>
>>30325591
>will focus much more on regional completion than national completion
This, I think that at some point you won't be able to transfer your pokemon ti the newer games, so you'll be limited to catch the pokemon in the regional dex.
If GF stop making new pokemon I'll drop the franchise. I care more about the pokemon designs than the games themselves.
>>
>>30325653
>no traunt
>the only thing keeping it from ubers
kek
>>
>>30326125
>70th anniversary
It's 2016. The oldest games reach to what, 50/60s? No video game franchise ever had 70th anniversary yet.
>>
>>30325591
That is exactly the reason why the National Dex will be Bank exclusive from now on. They no longer want the average/ordinary player to feel obligated to "catch them all", they'll probably see their regional dex oif about 300 mons and think that's it, complete that and move on. The National Dex quest is for hardcore players. If they kept that huge checklist in the game, the casuals wouldn't feel like they've "beaten" the game.
>>
All I ask for the franchise to never go full active movement. The turn base style gives the series some modicum of depth. Work to making the battles look more cinematic. Give pokemon more unique move animations alas stadium/colosseum.
>>
>>30326132
>I think that at some point you won't be able to transfer your pokemon ti the newer games

They'll literally never ever do that again.
It almost killed Ruby and Sapphire.
>>
>>30326270
This.
>>
>>30325591
They already got rid of national dexes in gen 7, I don't see that feature coming back on cart, likely it'll be something on Bank which will give you some goodies or something for having a complete dex on it.
>>
>>30326132
They wouldnt remove pokemon. They also said bank will be here for a very long time
>>
>>30326186
Arguably, some would say the oldest videogame would've been Tennis for Two, built by William Thingamabob in the 1950s as a fun thing for tech showoff at MIT, I think it was. That would have its 70th anniversary coming up within a decade or so.
As for videogames as we know them with fancy IPs and stuff, 70th anniverary is a long ways off. PacMan and Donkey Kong for IPs, things from the arcade age, maybe some Atari 2600 games, that's about it.
>>
>>30325591
I don't see them going away from 3D. S/M was a good sendoff for the 3DS, but it's definitely time to step up the hardware and the Switch will hopefully be the next platform. We might finally get some actually good programming for once.

There is definitely less Pokemon coming out each gen and it's for the better. It allows them to focus a little bit on older mons (I don't see Kanto pandering disappearing anytime soon, but it's not horrible) and it makes each new mon feel somewhat refreshing and unique, unlike Digimon. 1000 Pokemon doesn't really seem to be that daunting, actually, but I do hope the methods of getting them all improves.

I feel we're going to get an upheaval on the term "Generation". I don't know how far GF will take it but we've moved away from the three game structure. The topic of remakes will also be a bit odd - everything up to Gen 3 definitely needed a remake, maybe D/P too. But does B/W? Does X/Y? It's hard to say.

Pokemon in more recent games has adopted noticeably more adult humor and themes, and it'll be interesting to see how far GF will stretch that. Focus on story also seems like it's a big thing for new and future games, we might start to see things like more writers and voice acting.

Just a few thoughts.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.