[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Routes and Towns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

File: towns and routes.png (600KB, 1499x412px) Image search: [Google]
towns and routes.png
600KB, 1499x412px
I did this image up for curiosity's sake to see how the regions compared in this regard.

Now, this doesnt make mean too much without context, like, many of Sinnoh's Routes are long, while Unova and Kanto had a lot of short ones. But then, Unova also had a lot of Bridges.

Plus, towns can range from things like Tapu """"Village"""" to huge things like Lumiose. While places like the Pokemon Leagues outside Ever Grande, Royal Avenue, Village Bridge and Ruins of Alph are debatable. Though the games dont treat them that way, people certainly live or work there.

Anyways, what is the optimal distribution of Routes and Towns in your eyes?
>>
Why did you arrange this in such a shitty way? Your image is incomprehensible
>>
>>30301920
I cant imagine what is difficult to understand. There's a region and a number below it.
>>
>>30302016
he means line up the towns with routes, you've got unova above hoenn among other things
>>
>>30302090
but they're all in order from most to least amount of towns/routes
>>
>>30302090
It shows towns from most to least and routes from most to least.

Maybe it's just obvious to me because I made it, but I figured it was super straightforward. I suppose I'll fix it up before posting again?
>>
>>30302215
exactly
>>
>>30301621
Do you count things like Poni Wilds and Vast Poni Canyon as routes? Because they're not numbered, but for all intents and purposes they act as one
>>
>>30303254
Nah, just numbered routes, because including named ones will start up a whole debate about what should and shouldnt count.

Except in Sevii where all the Routes are named
>>
>>30302283
It's fine. Anon is just autistic.
>>
>>30304107
well, that makes more sense
>>
>>30301621
>many of Sinnoh's Routes are long

Not really. A few of them are long or might have the illusion of being long because of the slow ass PC speed, but a lot of them are just as short as some of the routes in other games. Plus quite a few of those are just caves.

Alola legitimately has some of the best routes in my opinion because of all the optional nooks and crannies many of them have to offer.
>>
>>30303254
They should count, yes. There is absolutely no reason they shouldn't be considered.
>>
Does anyone feel like Alola feels the biggest even if it is smaller? It is just crammed full of shit everywhere on the map of every island. There is no wasted space at all.
>>
>>30304352
I dont really feel many of them have that many optional areas. They're still mostly straight lines with a slightly diverging path, though a few have some side areas.

>>30304410
why should Alola get extra route considerations? With no way to create a standard for what you feel like adding as a route, and no consensus on the limits to what should be considered, it's much better to just stick to numbered routes. Especially when the exceptions are being made to only one region.
>>
>>30304492
The only island with no wasted space is Melemele. The other islands get increasingly larger areas cut off. Like how you can only go halfway down the Observatory mountain, or how the caves of Wela werent explorable

It really didnt feel all that big to me honestly. May as well say Johto is the biggest because it's locations are also close together.
>>
>>30304410
because they aren't routes is a good one

Is Mt. Coronet a route? Is Rock Tunnel a route? Is Victory a route? Is Cold Storage a route? etc
>>
>>30304570
This shit is so weird. Exploration wise it's smaller than other regions but time wise it's longer than, or roughly the same length, of other pokemon games just because of the sheer number of cutscenes
>>
>>30304623
I feel it's just the scale. Since the scale is increased (and the running feels slower), walking the same length takes longer in SM than other games.

Imagine Goldenrod scaled up to SM's graphics. Traversing that would take forever.
>>
>>30304504
As someone who rushed through the main game and revisited the routes in the post-game, I can say with absolute certainty that the vast majority of routes in Alola have optional side sections.
>>
>>30304623
>Exploration wise it's smaller than other regions

It baffles me how anyone can say this shit after playing XY.

>>30304686
>and the running feels slower

It doesn't. The routes are just larger.
>>
>>30305394
No, im playing LeafGrean while I play SM and the running is very definitely the slower in this one.

Also, not him but the exploration being REALLY small in XY doesnt stop SM's from feeling slightly on the lower end as well

>>30305313
You mean the small clearings where there'd be a patch of grass or item? Those werent very substantial to me. Some of the side areas were indeed pretty big but I wouldnt call those the majority.
>>
I love the game but the villages in SM are a complete joke.
>>
>>30304570
>The other islands get increasingly larger areas cut off

You're being a bit hyperbolic here. Yes, the mountains in the game generally aren't explorable and neither are a couple of other things (the golf course and those rocky pools for example) but most of the stuff you see on the map can be traversed.
>>
>>30305673
I was replying to the assertion that the map was crammed filled with content and had no wasted space, making it the biggest so far. A FAR more hyperbolic statement, in my opinion.

Melemele is great in that pretty much every area is indeed explorable, but that sort of thing ends there, and it becomes like every other region later on.
>>
>>30305568
>No, im playing LeafGrean while I play SM and the running is very definitely the slower in this one.

Yes, I'm playing Platinum and the running isn't actually slower at all. It feels slow to you because you're too accustomed to smaller, crammed routes.

>You mean the small clearings where there'd be a patch of grass or item?

Some of them, sure. But there were plenty of routes with either much larger clearings or lead-ins to completely different areas, and there were arguably more instances of it than most games in the series in terms of whether it was optional.
>>
>>30305772
>I was replying to the assertion that the map was crammed filled with content and had no wasted space, making it the biggest so far. A FAR more hyperbolic statement, in my opinion.

It would be hyperbolic to say that there is absolutely no wasted space in Alola, so I agree with that.

It isn't, however, hyperbolic at all to say that Alola is rather densely packed with content and things to find because that's actually true.
>>
>>30305632
Alola's villages and cities would be much, much better if you could actually enter every building. Not sure why they invested all that time into making larger cities but couldn't bother with copypasted interiors and one or two NPCs to fill them out with.
>>
>>30305772
If you're comparing the older maps to Alola (what I was obviously doing), absolutely the map is crammed full of content without wasted space and lots of invisible walls or random bullshit like ledges you can't go over or empty plots of dense trees like in older games.

Alola is probably my favorite in game map besides Kanto/Johto. It feels more free of filler than any other map. It is arguably better than Kanto/Johto because while we tolerate the filler because nostalgia, those maps by today's standards are samey and sometimes feel lazy.
>>
>>30305795
Not really. the games between FRLG, HGSS, ORAS, BW etc all have different scales, but the running still felt satisfying. I just dont think that suddenly in SM's case it has to be something else

And routes leading to different areas are a series staple. I was talking about the routes themselves, not the places they led to. If you mean that then yes, the region has plenty of those, which is great.

Mainly because I noticed that around Gen 4/5, things that would normally be a route became separate locations. Like how Moo Moo Farm is on the Johto route but Floccesy Ranch is separate from the Unova route. I think Unova would be a good comparison for Alola, route wise.

Still think that the routes themselves didnt have a great number of that though. At least not that I can remember. They still feel as straight as in the other regions

>>30305947
The Alola cities arent larger than the rest of the series though, looking at Hau'oli City vs other biggest cities being a good example. One thing I cant defend in Alola are the towns
>>
>>30305947
>copypasted interiors and one or two NPCs to fill them out with.
I hate that shit though. I'd rather have 3 locked doors and 1 open house with useful NPCs than 4 open doors of the same shit with bullshit flavor stuff like "I love Alola! The weather is great!" and all that.
>>
>>30306004
This.

Alola isn't perfect (although honestly it could have been if every area on the map was accessible) but compared to the other regions it's easily the best by a country fucking mile.
>>
>>30306004
That's what I was doing to come to my conclusion too. Which is why I compared it to Johto. It has it's locations closer together, which makes the region feel more complete. Which is good. But like Johto, that isnt going to make me feel it's huge. It just uses it's space better. Having it's less locations closer together isnt larger than more locations spread more apart.

>>30306060
I was hoping Alola would be my new favourite and I'm pretty bummed it didnt turn out that way for me. It's alright though. Happy for you at least
>>
>>30306028
>And routes leading to different areas are a series staple. I was talking about the routes themselves, not the places they led to.

Well then that's obviously just nitpicking. The value of a route should be determined by ALL of its individual pathways, including those that lead to other, optional areas. No exceptions.

But even disregarding that, there are plenty of larger clearings in Alola. For example (and this is just one example) the route leading into Po Town has this completely optional cliff you can climb that takes up a decent portion of the map space and is filled with grunts to battle, grass patches and items everywhere.
>>
>>30306118
pretty much nothing will beat the popularity of Johto

Alola is a great map, most would agree. I hope this direction towards focused, condensed, filler-free maps continues for Gen 8. Also, while it would be controversial as fuck, I hope GF give Diamond/Pearl the Alola treatment and un-filler that map.

Of all of the maps guilty of lazy filler, DPP is the most guilty, and only Ruby/Sapphire come close.
>>
File: Johto_Route_32_HGSS.png (494KB, 490x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Johto_Route_32_HGSS.png
494KB, 490x2000px
>>30306270
I was just at that Po Town Route. It is indeed fantastic.

It's not nitpicking if I just have a different way of judging a route than you. I was hoping that buzzword wouldnt show up but I guess it had to happen.

I dont judge a town (say, Ecruteak) based off the locations coming in and out of it, and I dont do that for routes either. Well, I do, sometimes. But that would be a different conversation for me. Especially since that would involve me looking at all the routes that way.

If I'm judging a route like pic related by itself, and nut based off the areas it may be related to, then I'm doing the same for Alola. It's like the guy earlier who wanted to add two other Alola locations as routes because "they just are." I dont want to start looking at things in unequal ways for whatever reason.
>>
>>30306361
>Also, while it would be controversial as fuck, I hope GF give Diamond/Pearl the Alola treatment and un-filler that map

I doubt that would happen, I mean they'd have to change the whole damn thing and start from scratch.

If it were up to me DP wouldn't be getting remakes at all, but that's mostly because I can't stand Sinnoh as a region.
>>
wtf is that map with 07 towns and 18 routes? I don't recognize it at all
>>
>>30306422
>Well, I do, sometimes

You should do that for any game, especially if the pathways that lead to those other areas are themselves extended for a certain length before you actually exit the route. To assert otherwise IS nitpicking - that's not a buzzword, that's the truth.

Nobody's asking you to look at things in unequal ways. Even if you'd rather arbitrarily judge routes only by the pathways that don't lead to an exit, Alola still has quite a bit of that going on too.
>>
File: Unova_Route_19_Autumn_B2W2.png (92KB, 384x487px) Image search: [Google]
Unova_Route_19_Autumn_B2W2.png
92KB, 384x487px
>>30306429
DP needs sequels so they could pretty much start from scratch, just using the old map as a guideline.

>>30306361
I agree on the last sentence so hard. You look at my pic in OP and Hoenn and Sinnoh have a shit load of towns and routes, but so much of it felt completely bloated. I do think Alola went too far in the opposite direction though. Towns definitely should never have only one building. I would certainly prefer some filler houses to the fat being cut off so hard it gets immersion breaking. Because I'm a huge overworld fag and immersing myself in a region is what I'm here for.

Cities in Alola that had people saying dumb shit and talking about the town's history were the bright sparks. Heahea and Malie City being what come to mind. (Ironically the two cities said to have started from Johto settlers). Konikoni and Paniola were completely unmemorable, because they had zero to them that wasnt serving the plot. Why is Paniola Town even a western town? We dont know. I could tell you how Sootopolis started though

>>30306572
The extensions are just a path to another area, that's not really anything helping it. And I dont think it's arbitrary, it makes the most sense to me. And was something I have always done, and did not feel like changing my rules for Alola. While it's nice that Route whatever in Johto branches off into the optional Mt Mortar, or that Route 6 in Alola leads into Royal Avenue, I dont include Mt Mortar or Royal Avenue in how I feel about those routes. Because those arent the routes.

Maybe I'm just not remembering the Alola routes much if they are this branchy, but that's not a good sign as Ive been playing SM all week a tonne and even just a few minutes ago. I do remember the Melemele Routes though. And those have been my favourite. So it's just my preferences I guess

Either way, it's getting late so I'll sign off so it doesnt look like I abandoned the thread. Maybe I'll see the replies in the morning
>>
>>30306567
>7 towns
>a bunch of islands
Sevii, obviously
>>
>>30306952
>Sevii

wait but they didn't have their own game, did they?
>>
>>30306993
No, they were in FRLG
>>
>>30304504
>why should Alola get extra route considerations?

When did I say that?

Any area in ANY Pokemon game that functions as a route should obviously be treated like a route. It's retarded to discount Poni Island completely just because its areas didn't begin with "Route".
>>
>>30307266
Plus the whole reason Poni Island doesn't have numbered routes like that is because it's basically uninhabited.
>>
>>30307046

then why does everyone treat them as a separate game/entity? I understand not grouping kanto with jhoto when referring to gen 2, but why seperate sevii?
>>
>>30307336
Because the game treats them as separate. When you go to Sevii in the game, people constantly talk about going "back to Kanto" or not connecting with Kanto through the PC.
>>
>>30307266
But again, with no standard consensus on what people would and wouldn't treat as one, its is just better to go with the game's standard. Or we'd have people arguing over if National Park or Wellspring Cave or any other area in the games is one.
>>
>>30307578

oh ok, must never have noticed. thanks.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.