[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is with these movepools?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 1479392079497.png (336KB, 1196x840px) Image search: [Google]
1479392079497.png
336KB, 1196x840px
Like seriously, what is with the movepools of all the new pokemon? Did we go back to gen 1 and gen 3 movepools, shitty, barely any, and don't benifit the pokemon at all? Take gumshoos for example, abilities: stakeout and strong jaw. Gumshoos learns only 4 biting moves: bite, super fang, crunch, and hyper fang. One of those moves is just an upgrade of the other, and super fang doesn't even work with strong jaw. He never learns any of the other fangs, and you can't teach them to him either via tutor or tm. Why? Kommo-o is another example. Dragon-fighting, only learns 3 dragon moves naturally, and only one fighting move naturally. He's a better physical attacker but the moves you can tm/breed into him are specials. Why did they drop the ball so hard on this?
>>
>>30239967
IIRC weren't Gen 6 mons like this as well before tutors?
>>
>>30239967
This happens literally every new gen, get over it.
>>
>>30240203
I really don't remember this happining every gen. Gens 4-6 had good movepools
>>
I think expanding movepools was a mistake in the first place, it's probably one the biggest sources of powercreep that they can never reverse outside of banning non-native pokemon.
>>
>>30239967
>Kommo-o is another example. Dragon-fighting, only learns 3 dragon moves naturally, and only one fighting move naturally.

There are very few Dragon moves in the first place, he gets the ones he needs.

As for Fighting, it's difficult to fit conceptually for a Pokémon of Kommo-o's anatomy. Wish he would've gotten Close Combat.
>>
It's clear GF have made a conscious effort to make new pokemon much more balanced by doing fairer stat spreads, unique abilities and narrower movepools.

I agree there are a couple discrepancies like the fangs on Gumshoos, but on the whole, I'm definitely happy with the direction they went, considering how obnoxious "STAB + coverage" on every offensive 'mon is.

I reckon the best use of this movepool philosophy is the ultra beasts. Pheromosa & Xurkitree have underwhelming coverage compared to other pokemon, so they actually have counters.
>>
>>30240239
One of the major complaints with gen 5 was lack of movepools on anything not named Hydreigon until BW2's tutors.

Gen 6's complaint was that barely any of the pokemon were even usable aside from like the 5 that broke the meta. And most of those only relied on spamming one or two moves as their entire strategy to make them good.
>>
>>30240416
There's absolutely no reason it couldn't have gotten Drain Punch, Superpower, Cross Chop or Hammer Arm. It would've loved Aura Sphere.
>>
>>30239967
Rikidikidiki desu ka? Mm!
>>
>>30240416
I understand that their aren't that many dragon moves, but where's dragon rush, or dragon pulse at least if it's signature move is a special. I'm a dragon trainer, and I know there aren't many dragon moves, which is why it bugs me so much that kommo-o doesnt learn the most basic of dragon moves, aside from dragon claw, naturally. He should least know other coverage moves as well, but he doesnt. Poison jab is the only good and reliable physical tm he can learn to cover for his fairy weakness
>>
File: decidueye.png (145KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
decidueye.png
145KB, 500x500px
>Neither spooky owl or spooky anchor get leech seed

Fuck this generation.
>>
>>30241575
>mfw Celesteela does
Leech seed + Heavy Slam are pretty much all I've needed so far in VGC
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.