[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Make Pokemon Difficult

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

How would you do it /vp/? And how would you make sure it doesn't feel unfair?
>>
less double team
more swords dance
>>
>>30211357

remove levels
>>
>>30211357
I'd just play your pic related, or, really, anything before gen 6, but especially mystery dungeon red rescue team, if it doesn't matter which Pokemon game I play, of course.
>>
File: kricketot-pokemon.jpg (22KB, 450x428px) Image search: [Google]
kricketot-pokemon.jpg
22KB, 450x428px
>>30211357
You can only encounter the weakest pokemons and get the strongest pokemons after you beat the Champion.
>>
>>30211373
alolamola
>>
The game smoothly ramps to an E4/League that is all level 100. You can't just outgrind them, you can only outtrain and outbattle them.

There, fixed the entire series.
>>
>>30211357
literally sun and moon without exp share.
>>
>>30211808
You still got to allow children to beat the game
>>
stop fighting during wild encounters, it's weird nobody knows this yet
>>
>>30211357
>Trainers have more than just level-up movesets on their Pokemon
>Gym Leaders and League members have fully competitive builds on their Pokemon, and in Gym Leader/League battles the levels are all scaled, as they are in multiplayer and battle facilities
>Frequent auto-save, so you can't savescum your money or items back if you use them wrong or lose against a trainer
>More trainers with either Z-Crystals or Megas
That seems good enough to me. I don't need some bullshit difficulty hack where the E4 has level 100s and shit like that, just some retweaking of the main game would do it.
>>
>>30211685
Retarded idea.
>>
>>30211357
Pokemon is still based on the traditional JRPG formula so you can always just grind to trivialize anything in the story. You can make the exp rubberbanding so bad that grinding is impossible, but then balance becomes a huge task because casuals won't be able to brute force their way through the story.
>>
>>30211808
>making pokemon a 100+ hour game
Alternatively
>making pokemon piss easy
>>
Make the AI not suck.
Difficulty isn't just about making you grind more, it's about making you use your brain to figure out a strategy. and that's not really necessary if just spamming your best attack is more than enough against almost every NPC.
>>
>remove levels
>magikarp is the only pokemon in the game
whoever gets to use struggle first wins
>>
Just give all the NPCs better teams.
>trainers don't just use whatever is on the route
>gym leaders don't have easily sweepable monotype teams
>evil grunts don't just have dark and poison types
You can still brute force by powerleveling, but NPC teams will be less predictable.
>>
>>30211403
Normally I'd cal you a retarded faggot but JRPG levels are generally pointless and retarded. I hate leveling systems where "you just get better" if there isn't some sort of decision making involved the leveling is literally irrelevant.

There are other ways you could handle learning and choosing new moves. I guess you would need to figure out evolutions though.
>>
>>30211357
Remove shift battle style and play on set, only use 1 or 2 healing items like the AI, don't revive during battle, turn exp share off.
>>
>>30211875
Have a "not a child" mode in the options.
>>
>>30211868
>switch my pokemon around to spread xp even more efficiently than exp share.
>get 10-20 levels ahead of the current content.

Get rekt fag.
>>
1) Make pokeballs a limited resource
Because HMs are a thing of the past, no need to worry about being locked out of a particular area. So boost the prices on everything by a considerable margin

2)Lock IV's of wild pokemon to less than 10
Foes can use progressively better IV's, need to breed to get better IV's but bred pokemon always have the average +5 of their parents.

3) More rubber band xp
For post game grinding introduce a system that boosts xp like O-Powers, but more dramatic.
>>
make everything a double battle and have the ai take advantage of it. did wonders for colosseum and gale of darkness.
>>
>>30212248
They tried that before and people complained.
>>
>>30212370
>>30212248
Meant to greentext
>gym leaders don't have easily sweepable monotype teams
>>
>>30211357
It's tough outside of restricted battlemodes and shit and I think the difficulty of those is fine since fucking Pokemon Stadium, with the difficulty peak being RNG Frontier and XD´s tournaments and challenges

If you just inflate the levels you just would have to grind more which nobody in their right mind should want honestly.

They actually started going in the right direction this gen, with more sensible teams and movesets for the NPC teams later on.
While almost all are still themed, the array of type combinations and distribution of strong not STAB moves like earthquake or thunderbolt is heavily improved.

>"Eh just a fucking Slowking what can it possibly do against my Spacelion"
>Flamethrower
>"Oh..."

There is still alot room though.
>>
No free healthcare.
>>
>>30212269
>every mon has a unique skill tree
>instead of levelling up you get skill points
>use skill points to unlock stat boosts and learn new attacks
>unlock enough spaces and your mon will evolve
>evolving adds more branches to the skill tree

As for mons that don't evolve by level up, instead their branches open up when their conditions are activated.
You can only evolve Inkay if you allocate its stats while your 3DS is upside down
>>
it feels like pokemon games only ever manage to be challenging during the earlier portions because throwing up like a starmie or a miltank at those stages in the game is a significant threat

later on you have about equivelant levels but you also have ideal movesets and items and evs taking effect over time

also pokemon selection is a big deal too, like if you could just run past watson's gym, catch a numel then come back and battle him you would destroy them
>>
>>30211357
Elite Four and a Champion with all pokemon at least at over level 80. Superboss with 6 level 100 pokemon, much better AI for all trainers, expanded totem pokemon concept.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.