[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SuMo Thematic Analysis

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: pr_alola-770x562.png (734KB, 770x562px) Image search: [Google]
pr_alola-770x562.png
734KB, 770x562px
Game freak tends to loosely structure the main installments of each pokemon game around a specific thematic motif. Gen I had reference to genetics and engineering, Gen II mythology, tradition, and culture, Gen III weather/nature and relationships, etc. etc. These themes usually play a large part in shaping the storyline and also inform many of the pokemon designs and in-game mechanics.

So my big question is basically this: What do you guys think are some of the big themes GF had in mind while making sumo?
>>
>>30175231
Your family is more important than aliens
>>
>>30175256
#buildwall
>>
>>30175256
That sounds really fucking familiar
>>
family seems a pretty safe bet
>>
More tradition + culture with an added focus on family, friendship and helping one another.
>>
File: download.jpg (12KB, 212x238px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12KB, 212x238px
imo there's a LOT of reference to conservation and preservation of wildlife, with the Aether foundation and alot of alola being untouched by "modern" tecnology and what not

I also have this somewhat half-baked personal theory about the ultra beasts in that they're analogues to humans invading and destroying nature. They're foreign, unnatural harbingers of destruction, and most of their pokedex entries involve them invading and destroying land or just being threats to the nature of alola.

idk. it's late and im tired and i've probably written way too much. just needed to get these crazy thoughts out there ya know
>>
>>30175231
Pokemon as living creatures and the cycle of life.

Dex entries are about how Pokemon live and die, people talk about living their lives, postgame Eevee sidequest is about how people have moved on to accept the nearing end of their lives. Skull are full of people who can't move on, and Aether are people who want to protect but Lusamine wants shit to stay the same forever.

Pretty nice. Better than the bullshit shallow """beauty""" thing Kalos had
>>
>>30175470
agreed. compared to past gens SM felt like it had way more depth and meaning to it. Instead of focusing on some shiet nobody cares about like beauty and pokemon customization SM faced something I feel like alot of people wonder about (do pokemons is die?). Outside of the obligatory cemetery towns/towers other gens never mentioned death, so it seemed like something that didn't really happen.
>>
>>30175372
Not to mention that a lot of the UBs are based on incredibly successful invasive species. Mosquitos, jellyfish, roaches. Not so sure about bamboo, origami, and electrical wires though.
>>
>>30175926
Bamboo is invasive, yes, and maybe Xurkitree is industrialization leading to habitat loss. I don't know about Kartana.
>>
>>30175372

Nihilego - The uncharted depths of the sea, commentary on secualization of underage girls in media

Pheromosa - The fashion industry? Anorexic models, using animalsto make clothes.

Celesteela - Exploring space, aliens

Xurkitree - Technological advancement, and how people are becoming more and more "plugged in" and reliant on technology (humanoid machine caricature).

Guzzlord - Commentary on how humans consume and destroy, terraforming nature and using rescources wastefully. We become the draconian monster, the "bad guy" that takes for our own benefit.

Buzzwole - Obsession with the self, autoeroticism, commentary on how self-image can become warped and alien by striving for perfection, while putting a strain on relationships, figuratively sucking the life out those around you.

Not sure about Kartana.
>>
>>30175926
Bamboo is an invasive plant species in many locations yo

The wire guys seems to be some general comment on energt consumption

idunno bout chopstick girl though
>>
>>30176002
Pheromosa/Lusamine's whole gig is that nothing is beautiful/pure enough to be deemed worthy of their presence. Pheromosa doesn't touch anything (as seen in the Dex entry), with the implication being that all of alola, it's wildlife and nature, isn't pure or beautiful.

> Tearing down forests to build giant ass malls so you can buy your fucking makeup or whatever
>>
>>30176021
>>30175990
Here's an idea:

Buzzwole: Mosquito, invasive species
Nihilego: Jellyfish, invasive species
Pheromosa: Cockroach, invasive species
Celesteela: Bamboo, invasive species
Xurkitree: Industrialization
Guzzlord: Negative Sustainability (i.e. Big Agriculture destroying the ozone layer via mass cow breeding)
Kartana: Deforestation (???) (Best I've got. But it makes sense, right?)
>>
>>30176084

You put it much more succinctly that I did, it's a good explanation.

I really like these theories.

What the hell is Kartana, though?
>>
>>30176152
Oh I just got an idea

Kartana's entry talks about how sharp her blades are and how it can cut an entire tower in half, and it's name obviously hints towards the fact that its based on swords/weaponry

it's basically a giant powerful weapon. probably something about how advanced weaponry/warfare is a danger to both humans/infrastructure and nature
>>
Also I just got how ironically hilarious that the beauty/purity/lusamine UB is the cockroach one.

game freak really outdid themselves with the designs this gen imo
>>
>>30175231
For the box legends it was light:

Solgaleo emits light
Lunala reflects light
Necrozma refracts light

Also
>Sumo
>>
There was also alot of old vs. young this gen. The new Pokemon were either Gen VII or Gen I alola forms (with some other gens mixed in). Most of the dialogue between the child protagonists and the evil team consisted of "you can't beat me, youre a child and I'm an adult" - "don't underestimate children" - "oh no a child beat me". Also Alola seemed to be a really comfy balance of old tradition and new technology.
>>
>>30175869
>>30175470
not to mention how several of the trainers (notably the fisherman and karate master) are old guys, and a tropical island would definitely be the place to retire to before you die
>>
>>30176230
>her
>>
Can I just say I never contribute to these threads but they're so interesting to read and I love them

Keep it up anons
>>
It's been said before, but the entire Lusamine thing was pretty obviously a take on drug addictions ruining lives.

That just adds onto the whole family thing, though.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.