[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have we finally reached a point where we have something that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 217
Thread images: 29

File: pokemon-sun-moon-boxart-na.jpg (335KB, 1490x682px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon-sun-moon-boxart-na.jpg
335KB, 1490x682px
Have we finally reached a point where we have something that we can say is unobjectively the best installment in the series? Better even than the RBY or HGSS?

>amazing story
>amazing characters
>option to play through either easy or hard mode via exp. share
>ability to use your in game team competitively if you want via hyper training
>pokemon refresh being a much improved pokemon amie
>new, fresh concepts such as trials, changing game formula while keeping pokemon feel
>legendaries are hard to catch again
>GUZMA
>numerous throw backs to kanto to play on the nostalgia of people who started with the first games
>ending the story in a way that would make sense to set the next games in kanto, but with a completely different story from rby
>best ending credits of all time

If you did not get emotional after you beat the E4 in this game, pokemon is too good for you and get out

new official power rankings:
7>1>2>5>3>4>6

discuss
>>
>amazing story

The last island's plot basically has no logical reason to happen, any normal person would've left the criminal scum to rot in Ultra Space especially since Lusamine didn't give a shit about coming back
>>
I don't see the point in playing them anymore. i just feel burned out. And all thia Kanto pandering is a nuisance. I'll think about it, but all this third version happening is making me reconsider.
>>
I unironically agree, OP.

While I think Gen 4 and maybe Gen 5 did some things much betteral, overall I think Gen 7 will end up being the best.
>>
File: d8uq43y.png (65KB, 1092x1037px) Image search: [Google]
d8uq43y.png
65KB, 1092x1037px
>>30174626
I'm still too emotional to play the game anymore after beating it.
>>
>>30174718
We didn't go to save Lusamine, anon.

We went to save our boy Guzma.
>>
File: 1475434045465.jpg (22KB, 484x409px) Image search: [Google]
1475434045465.jpg
22KB, 484x409px
>>30174718
>leaving based Guzma in Ultra Space
>>
>>30174626
I like the games and definitely enjoyed playing through them but they're not the best in the series. The games have pretty annoying flaws.

I'm willing to wait until the third version or the sequels though. Maybe they'll make them B2W2 tier. Or Emerald/HGSS tier.
>>
They're pretty good but they're not BW2/HGSS/Plat/Emerald tier

Pleasantly surprised though, there's hope yet for DP remakes
>>
>>30174626
Unirinically agree honestly, fucking loved it.

After gen 6 my expectations were low but gen 7 was GF getting their shit together. Perfect? Nah. But damn did I enjoy it and loved.
>>
Best 1st games of a generation, but not the best games in the whole series. A sequel/third version could be the best games easily.
>>
File: gengcry.gif (498KB, 500x372px) Image search: [Google]
gengcry.gif
498KB, 500x372px
>>30174781
>tfw this is true
>is absolutely true
>>
>best credits

GSC, RSE, XY had better music with the last being complete with wonderfully cheesy multi-lingual lyrics, and RSE and BW2 had better visuals. Maybe ORAS had similarly good visuals to RSE but I honestly don't remember that shit. SM had a nice "The End" card though with the first photo.

Also, EXP Share and being under or overleveled is not a suitable substitute for a real difficulty setting, Hyper Training is pure bullshit between getting Bottle Caps and no good way to grind past like 60, and Refresh is merely a sidegrade to Amie due to missing features.
>>
>>30174626
Completely agree; God tier taste, OP.
>>
>>30174781
Plumeria and the Skull grunts ask you to do it too. So it's not just Lillie wanting to get her Mom, it's you getting both of them because you're a swell dude.

But then again most protags are swell dudes anyway
>>
>>30174626
Game still runs like shit, has little in terms of postgame and is littered with unnecessary, obtrusive cutscenes. Oh, and they made breeding and online worse compared to gen 6 for whatever reason.

Too bad, they were so close. Maybe Stars will fix it.

Also:
>HGSS
>gen 2
>>
>free level 10 Salamence
>EXP Share
>healing after every battle
>Press Z For Awesome
>free healing items just for buying coffee
>free status healing after every battle with Pokemon Refresh
>genwun pandering out the ass
>no Hoenn references
>no Megas
This is the shittiest pokemon gen and only nu-pokemon apologists will defend this
>>
>>30174626
>amazing story
>amazing characters
yes, also
>consistently good music

but that's where the positives end, no expshare is terrible because training in the grass just turns into 2v1s which if you can beat easily you wouldn't be grinding in the first place
set adds no difficulty because LITERALLY every trainer has only 1 or 2 mons
totems get destroyed by status because it's really only 1 good mon with fodder backup
>>
File: 1471897845196.jpg (9KB, 203x200px) Image search: [Google]
1471897845196.jpg
9KB, 203x200px
>>30174626
BW2 had better post game and cameo content, BW had a better climax and antagonist, Gen V as a whole had better music (except route music, only 1 or 2 notable ones) and better character designs.

SM beats them in everything else. The game felt like it had the most "personality" out of all the mainline games. Unlike Gen 6, these games felt like they put their heart into it.

SM does have it's flaws and there's lots of areas where it could improve (other than what I think Gen V did better), but I still had an very enjoyable and memorable experience.

So I'd rank BW, BW2, and SM at the top in no specific order, cause they're all flawed but do things better than the other.
>>
>>30174626
>RBY

dude gen 1 is fucking trash.
You talk as if they're some highly regarded games or something
>>
>>30175038
>BW above anything
lel
>>
imo, with generation debut games; no remakes nor sequels that didn't lead to a new gen

7=5>2>1>4>6>3
>>
File: oihjrj25.png (42KB, 264x264px) Image search: [Google]
oihjrj25.png
42KB, 264x264px
>>30174626
>gen 1
>good
>let alone better than anything
>>
>>30175038
>BW2 had better

Stopped reading right there. Unovabortions truly are delusional.
>>
>>30175077
Nah, I'd say
3>5>7=2>1>4>6
>>
Can we ban genwunners from /vp/ already? They contribute fucking nothing to the board and only make shitty threads like this. Worst gen, worst region, worst story, worst characters, worst designs, literally nothing of value would be lost if it never existed.
>>
>>30175026
>requires hoenn references to make a good game

First of all fuck you. Second of all, if you didn't use the fuck out of every free healing item you got then you were probably playing through with an overleveled starter and exp. share on the whole time.

So fuck you again. Get out you are not welcome here hoennbaby scum. You got your remakes and it's over, come back for the 39th anniversary.
>>
File: 1473107846635.jpg (22KB, 240x237px) Image search: [Google]
1473107846635.jpg
22KB, 240x237px
>>30175106
Wew lad, being delusional is an understatement if you honestly believe SM had better postgame content than BW2.
>>
>>30175122
And yet you posted in the thread.

Nothing of value would be lost if you left /vp/ forever. Get out faggit.
>>
File: 1479833964378.gif (1MB, 540x250px) Image search: [Google]
1479833964378.gif
1MB, 540x250px
>>30174626
>>amazing story
Not really. It was fucking stupid and unsatisfying.
>>amazing characters
And shitty ones like Plumeria and Gladion who did fucking nothing, and annoying fags like Hau.
>>option to play through either easy or hard mode via exp. share
>tedious grinding is hard
>>new, fresh concepts such as trials, changing game formula while keeping pokemon feel
It's the same shit as gyms except no battling trainers
>>legendaries are hard to catch again
Lmao no. Fucking Tapus got into their ultra balls after 3 or 4 thrown.
>>numerous throw backs to kanto to play on the nostalgia of people who started with the first games
And this is a positive because?
>>ending the story in a way that would make sense to set the next games in kanto, but with a completely different story from rby
I hope not. Kanto is a fucking horrid region.
>>best ending credits of all time
It's literally the character selection music looping for 10 fucking minutes.

Fuck off, OP. I know you're in the honeymoon phase, but jesus christ.
>>
great game desu
>>
>>30175171
Why are you replying to bait?
>>
>>30174718
>any normal person would've left the criminal scum to rot in Ultra Space
You know, that's what heroes do.
>>
>>30175175
Kill yourself, your kind isn't welcome here. Objectively, gen 1 is the worst gen and the most hated amongst /vp/ which makes up the core of the teen to adult Pokemon fanbase as we currently have over 30 million unique posts. Gen 1 is garbage, deal with it or get out.
>>
>>30175179
Tapus have the lowest catch rates. UBs vary
>>
I'm loving it fampai
>>
>>30174838
There is nothing in emerald better than SM don't kid yourself.
I think too that they are actually top tier game for too many reasons, flawed yes but still at the top
>>
>>30175026
We got Hoenn last time, why would you want more references?
>>
File: 1477351689435.jpg (17KB, 236x180px) Image search: [Google]
1477351689435.jpg
17KB, 236x180px
>>30175179
Well don't you sound pleasant. I mean, I agree with about half these things, but just let people enjoy something.
>>
>>30175026
>isn't that only in cases of SOS?
>"lol how do i turn it off xp"
>implying you wouldn't go to the pokecenter and still be a little bitch
>literally just one status item
>implying gen 6 didn't go that way with x/y & oras
>hoenn is shit
>wanting megas
only nu pokemon apologists would even consider megas and bitch about no hoenn references

besides, you're just cherrypicking
>>
>>30175239
>not having cutscenes interrupting you every two steps
>more exploration
>Battle Frontier

Also please learn English
>>
>>30175255
>why would fans want more references to the best and most beloved generation?
>>
>>30175179
You seem like a real fun guy.
>>
File: RMcLnRV.png (2MB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
RMcLnRV.png
2MB, 1500x1500px
I am conflicted.

On one hand, it ditches the common elements of the previous games that make Pokemon feel like Pokemon (in my very subjective opinion) from world elements to the music (which I was largely disappointed by in SM)

On the other hand, SM felt like a breath of fresh air. The story and its execution is miles ahead of anything in the series (for Pokemon standards) and I can't think of the last game in the series that had this many memorable characters. Pokemon designs are also an improvement over last gen.

Overall I've enjoyed it, but it's not the definitive Pokemon experience I was expecting. It feels more like a spinoff than anything.
>>
>>30175376
how was SM music not pokemon? Was XY any better?

And what's wrong with the world elements? Frankly it feels like GF figured out some of the gen 1 magic again for me. Pokemon being wild creatures and so on.
>>
best gen yet
>>
>>30175399
>Pokemon being wild creatures and so on.
I miss this tbqh. And I agree SuMo feels like a step in the right direction to get that vibe back.

Maybe the worlds just started feeling too small over time, idk, but I haven't felt that sense that I was a small kid in a big ass world alone against the elements hunting down rock rhinos and shit in over a decade. I think it started with gen3 maybe but the games have progressively felt more and more civilized until now.

Tldr: I agree.
>>
>>30175289
Dont forget
>60 fps
>runs on almost anything nowadays, even low-end smartphones
>myriad of amazing hacks
>>
OP, I genuinely agree. These are my favourite Pokémon games to date.

For me it's 7 > 5 + 3 > 4 + 1 +2 > 6
>>
>>30175217
Actually, you get out.

You probably weren't even born when gen 1 came out and you've never even played it.

You kill yourself. Literally, go climb in your closet with a belt and hang yourself with your mega gallade dildo in your ass because you and your trash tastes don't belong here.
>>
if these games are good I must not like pokemon anymore, because I'm really struggling to get through it, it's just so slow it's absurd, constantly wild pokemon battles, CALL FOR FRIEND, fps drops, stupid dialogue, cutscenes[...]

these games made me actually miss gen 6
>>
>>30175498
It's the handholding that makes worlds feel small. Kalos was particularly awful in that regard, fuck gen 6 so much. And as much as I like gen 5 Unova felt tiny as fuck too because they wasted region space on a fucking multiplayer feature. The Entralink looked so good when we first saw the map of Isshu like it was some sacred site but it's just some multiplayer bullshit, fuck that

Despite SM having handholding too the region had enough stuff to go off and explore, I was pleasantly surprised again.
>>
GOTY
>>
>>30175584
Nearly everything you mentioned was worse in XY
>>
>>30175584
>actually thinking gen 6 was better than this

Get out, you can't sit with us. Go eat lunch by yourself while we laugh at you. but pls don't shoot up the school
>>
>>30175217
LMAO

how to spot deviantart in one post
>>
>>30175179
>calls Hau annoying
>posts Lillie

no problems otherwise
>>
Makes XY look like trash
>>
>>30175609
not even close but ok, yes it did lag like hell I admit

some things are cool in SM, like not needing to waste slots on HMs, trading for the box, the wild pokemon box/party dialogue, but the overall game... just not feeling it
>>
true order of games

7=5=2>4>1>3>6
only good 6th gen game was emerald
>>
>>30175609
SM definitely has more cutscenes, lengthier cutscenes, and worse framerate. In general it feels slower too, but I'll blame my O3DS.
>>
>>30175693
>good 6th gen game was emerald
What?
>>
>>30175705
SM are actually pretty slow yes, unfortunately. At least the cutscenes are with actual characters and have nice visuals and not the chucklefucks XY forced you to deal with.
>>
>unobjectively
>>
File: xf0EYOE.png (414KB, 1000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
xf0EYOE.png
414KB, 1000x1414px
>>30175399
X/Y music was pretty Pokemon, maybe aside from the Gym Leader Theme (which was very atypical)

S/M only has the Wild Pokemon Theme, Trainer Theme, Elite Four and Champion themes that resemble the music from the old game; everything else is the polynesian inspired stuff (which is fine and normal given the theme, my point is that it doesn't feel like the other ones)

I agree about the pokemon being overall better (as I've already mentioned); I was more referring to stuff that is tied to the formula like gyms, exploring, HMs (don't kill me) when talking about world elements. To me it doesn't feel like Pokemon without those things.

I would've been way more happier with a normal Pokemon game that incorporated the character development and QOL improvements of SM. But SM is a breath of fresh air that I definitely enjoyed.

/blog
>>
>>30175716
I meant only, sorry I can't type anything today
>>
>>30175726
The characters are purely subjective, many people might not like anime moe blob and that annoying friend character not to mention that comically edgy anime archetype blond guy

Team Skull is pretty great though
>>
>>30174626
Unpopular opinion incoming:

I think all Pokemon games are exactly as good or bad as each other, because they all have the exact same story and gameplay, and many of the characters are carbon copies of each other. Except for Diamond and Pearl, which were just plain shit because the gameplay and UI were so bad, and Sun and Moon, which are pretty fucking great because they actually bothered to come up with a new story for once... sort of. It's the same shit with a fresh coat of paint, but it's good paint.
>>
>>30175726
Personally, I prefer how XY looks. SM has this awful softglow effect on eveything especially at night that clashes horribly with the cel-shaded effect, not to mention my distaste for such effects in the first place. Not really a fan of the SM character designs much either while one of the few redeeming factors for me in XY was I really liked the character designs that time around. I miss the variable size word bubble like text boxes of the last two generations too.
>>
>>30175743
I actually wish HMs still existed in some form too, the idea of having your Pokemon be the ones helping you explore the world is nice, I just wish it didn't require a moveslot. Something like just needing the Pokemon to be capable of knowing the move, and having the HM itself in your inventory, would be enough. Ride pokemon are unintrusive at least, but I don't like the idea of relying on some rental company when it's supposed to be my adventure with my mons.

Gyms had to go, XY's were utter shit and it's clear GF can't make the idea interesting anymore. The idea of other kinds of objectives like trials is neat, and I did something similar before this was even revealed in a Pokemon tabletop campaign I ran, where the bug 'gym' involved having to survive in a jungle of hostile bug pokemon for several days, the water gym made you have to search for a mirage island by sailing around an archipelago, and so on. Letting go of gyms brings a lot more potential.

XY had decent overworld music, but all the important battle music was such fucking trash. It's Masuda didn't know what to do with all their his new technology.
>>
XY were fucking boring and horrible looking.
>>
File: 1477325888670.png (218KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1477325888670.png
218KB, 500x281px
>>30174626
>numerous throw backs to kanto to play on the nostalgia of people who started with the first games

This was in gen 6 (the worst gen) as well and it is not a good thing
>>
>>30175584
Even the Pokemon themselves are obnoxiously slow, I can't even run from the 49648964864 gen 1 pokemon they throw at you who are 5 levels lower
>>
>>30175860
>fat fuck
>clingy brown loli
>literal who orange pokedex man
>ugly actress
>retarded hitler

Which of these did you like?
>>
>>30175179
I just used 30 ultra balls on tapu lele. Had her on 1hp with false swipe and slept her every time she woke up.
>>
File: 1474176441531.jpg (110KB, 365x429px) Image search: [Google]
1474176441531.jpg
110KB, 365x429px
5 > 3 > 1 > 2 > 4 > 7 > 6

easy

And if you take spin off games like Stadium into account

1 = 2 > 5 > 3 > 4 > 7 > 6
>>
File: 6quLY0c.jpg (789KB, 1414x2000px) Image search: [Google]
6quLY0c.jpg
789KB, 1414x2000px
>>30175910
>relying on some rental company when it's supposed to be my adventure with my mons
Thank you for enunciating this, did not really know how to express this opinion

I really can't see how anyone would argue that the trials are inferior to the gyms, and the direction they take is definitely needed. Trials were both more memorable and more challenging than any Gym I can remember (with very few exceptions), but I am convinced that there is a way to combine the two. Not fighting the leader/captain at the end of the trial feels very, very off and strange to me.
>>
>>30176016
Character Designs ≠ Character Personalities

And design wise I'd take pretty much any XY design over a SM one. SM has much better characters when it comes to their actual personalities though, which is what actually matters when it comes to making memorable characters, but has little to do with eye candy.
>>
>>30176204
XY designs are fucking shit, don't kid yourself.
>>
>>30176186
Yeah, felt like challenging the captain should be part of the trial. I would be more unhappy about this if the totems weren't great fights, though.

>>30176204
But they all looked stupid.
Again, which ones did you like and why?
>>
>>30175910
>Ride pokemon are unintrusive at least, but I don't like the idea of relying on some rental company when it's supposed to be my adventure with my mons.
All they need to do is take the ride pokemon mechanics and apply it to the HM concept. Make the HM boot up and call one of our pokemon into service. So you have fly, you activate it like you would charizard in SuMo, and whatever eligible pokemon you've assigned to it (can be in party or bank) is summoned for that task.

Ta da.
>>
>>30176224
dude we get it gen 6 sucks, your posts aren't constructive at all and feels like you're compensating for something
>>
>>30176246
this is what I expected desu.

booted up PokeRide-Glide!
Charizard- Able
Golisopod- Unable
Etc
>>
>wanting/liking Kanto references
XY were stuffed with them. You got your pandering multiple times. Quit jacking off the worst region.

Also
>these faggot anons saying they miss HMs already
Can you just fuck right off and never play a new Pokémon game again? GameFreak FINALLY gets something right and the complaining will just make them bring it back.
>>
>>30176297
why did it replace desu with desu
I've literally never typed that
am I become 4chan now
>>
>>30176246
I'd accept that.
HMs are never coming back except maybe for Sinnoh remakes, though. Probably for the better.
>>
>>30176304
>GameFreak FINALLY gets something right

But they didn't. They threw away the baby with the bathwater on that one.
>>
>>30174626
They still have their flaws. But they're much better than the Kalos garbage.
Black 2/White 2 are still the gold standard but SM did a decent job trying to top it.
>>
The music in this game is so awful
>>
So as the consensus:

Would you recommend buying Sun/Moon?
>>
>>30176394
As a stand alone game it's definitely worth a buy, I just don't think it's that good for a Pokemon game
>>
>>30176394
Yes. Best Pokemon game since 2013.
>>
>>30176394
As an alternative to Gen 6? Absolutely.
>>
>>30174626
For the first games in a generation, it's surprisingly polished. However it's still really flawed with stupid shit like Marowak not being able to learn it's signature move until you get the move relearner, the move relearner not being until the very end of the game for no reason, the trials being obviously rushed, simplistic, and unchallenging until you get to the totem boss. Out of all the first two versions, SM is certainly my favorite, but Emerald, Platinum, HGSS, and BW2 easily surpass it imo
>>
>>30176450
>the move relearner not being until the very end of the game for no reason
I like it, if they sorted out the other weird move level issues. Reminding moves is a great way to fuck with balance, so restricting it to just before the E4 to give your team a massive upgrade only for that is good.
>>
>>30174626
Why don't you add
>handholding. You can't go 10 steps without a cutscene or someone telling you that you're not allowed to go there yet.

I mean, the game is good so far, but Jesus Christ, just let me roam a little? It's Final Fantasy 13: Hallway Simulator Edition all over again.
Does it change after the first island?
>>
File: 1459150570777.jpg (80KB, 766x960px) Image search: [Google]
1459150570777.jpg
80KB, 766x960px
>interruptions: the game
SM sucked. I wish Pokemon would belly-up and get picked up by competent devs.
>>
>>30176472
>Marowak learns shadow bone at 27
>evolves at 28
I hated it
>>
>>30176489
It becomes less annoying, but it never goes away.
>>
>>30176450
The move reminder is at the end of the game because they can teach moves from higher levels now too. Putting them anywhere else would have fucked up the game, but they still should have accounted for that when designing level up move sets.
>>
>>30176527
Yeah that one seems like they fucked up, like with Kadabra and confusion.
>>
File: 1434134351329.jpg (37KB, 500x366px) Image search: [Google]
1434134351329.jpg
37KB, 500x366px
>>30176528
oh my god.
Maybe I'm getting too old then.
Maybe ITT are shills.
Maybe ITT are millenials.
I like the arena gym changes so far, everything's fine, but that handholding reaches a level, it breaks the game for me.
How can anyone like that?
>>
>>30176503
Even if the best team creates a new pokemon game you will keep posting the same.
>>
>>30176553

Or when they gave Woobat a BST buff instead of Swoobat.
>>
>>30176562
This is pokemon now, sadly.
It gets better though, just play through. I actually enjoyed the cutscenes and story later.
>>
>>30176472
With so many ways to fuck with balance and rebalance in the games in general, I see no problems with adding another layer of decision making midway through. Well, at least in the other games you had to work for your heart scales at least. SM just gives them out like candy if you spend more than 5 minutes looking for a damn Bruxish/Mareanie/Dhelmise/Feebas
>>
>>30174781
Guzma is a fucking faggot though.
>boo hoo muh dad was strict ;_;
>that means I have to become a criminal and pick on innocent people
He's literally a nigger.
>>
>>30176630
His dad fucking abused him, I felt bad for him.

>tfw he cries in the scene hearing Lusamine talk shit at Lillie because he knows how it feels
>>
>>30175026
>>no Hoenn references
What about Anabel you fucking retard?
>>
>>30176651
>His dad fucking abused him
when??
>>
>>30176679
>I tried to set that boy of mine straight, but I was the one who got beat...
>broken golf clubs in the house

Put it together
>>
>>30176701
>>I tried to set that boy of mine straight, but I was the one who got beat...
That doesn't sound like childhood abuse, it sounds like Guzma was a little shit kid who needed discipline. It isn't "abuse" to discipline your kids when they act like shits.
>>
>>30176749
Beating them with fucking golf clubs sure sounds like healthy discipline
>>
>>30176759
There's no proof that the golf clubs are broken because Guzma's dad used them on him.
>>
>>30176789
True, but it's likely considering the subtext.
>>
File: 1470543412059.jpg (61KB, 678x678px) Image search: [Google]
1470543412059.jpg
61KB, 678x678px
>>30176568
No, I'd actually be really excited for a genuinely good Pokemon game. Gamefreak apologist fucking faggot.
>>
I find the cutscene stuff annoying just because there's no way to skip, let me skip to the next moment the player is in control and then I'll be okay with cutscenes.

Overall the game has more charm and personality than I feel like Pokemon has had in a long, long time.

To me, this is on par with FR/LG & HG/SS in how much I'll be fondly thinking of it years from now.

Generation 3 was still pretty good, but Gen 3's story is so nothing, however Emerald is a fantastic game despite my indifference to it's story.

Gen 4, boring, Gen 5 I didn't get very far into but didn't find my self enjoying B/W from minute 1 like I've enjoyed Sun/Moon.

Sun/Moon is this bizarre combination of nostalgia in all the right ways while also being entirely new.

The sense of humor and personality of Sun/Moon is very 90's Pokemon, the Pokedex with it's weirdly morbid entries is also very 90's.

But the games otherwise are very modern.

It's a fantastic balance and I'm so pleased to have a Pokemon game in 2016 that I think is a genuinely great game in it's own right and not because it's a remake or anything.
>>
>>30176873
So what's an actual good Pokemon game?
>>
File: b30.png (288KB, 394x370px) Image search: [Google]
b30.png
288KB, 394x370px
>>30174626
>numerous throw backs to kanto to play on the nostalgia of normies who have only played the first games

They should have made RBGY sequel already instead of shoving more half-assed "muh genwun pandering".

Kalos feels like Kanto's cumdump or something and Alolan Form is given only to Kantomons because of...reasons.
>>
>>30176882
Even better when my biggest gripes with the game can/might be easily fixed in the accumulative version.
>>
>>30176887
One hasn't really been made.

RBY were the first and good for their time, but they're still piss easy, broken games.

BW/BW2 were easily the best all things considered, but they're still just the best Pokemon game which is a far cry from an actually good game.

I will give GF this, they're excellent at designing monsters and making good music. They're just fucking horrendous at making games.

That being said, they just commission their music composition and monster artwork, so.
>>
>>30176934
So what's a good game?
>>
I just figured out time is reversed in pokemon moon, suddenly a 10/10 game
>>
>>30176934
sounds like you're a fan of the rom hacks then
>>
Christ no, this gen was a fucking disappointment.

HGSS = BW2 > Platinum > Emerald > BW > GSC > FRLG > RS = ORAS > DP > RBY > SM > XY
>>
>>30177186
I would be, but it's just not the same not playing on a Gameboy or DS.

>>30176957
Dragon's Dogma? Undertale? lmao just kidding Dead Space 1? DragonQuest VIII? Metroid Fusion? A couple of my personal favorites, but trying to not be biased those are all solid games for certain.
>>
>>30175003
>game runs like shit
>he doesn't have an N3DS

Unfortunate.
>>
File: 1453598626644.png (133KB, 244x268px) Image search: [Google]
1453598626644.png
133KB, 244x268px
>>30177351
fuck off shill
>>
>>30177350
Dragon's Dogma is a diamond in the rough, I wouldn't call it the best in anything even if I fucking love it.

Well, what ROMhacks do you like?
>>
>>30177292
>GSC better than anything that folowed
Shit taste
>>
File: 1464922581876.gif (2MB, 649x472px) Image search: [Google]
1464922581876.gif
2MB, 649x472px
>>30174626
>this is a pro
>>
>>30174626
Just finished the UB Hunt and I'd say yeah Sun was the best Pokemon game I've ever played. Never enjoyed a Pokemon title as much as I have this one.

If it had a flaw, I'd say it might be the online. It feels a little convoluted, especially for a newbie to the games to get into I'd imagine, compared to the sleek, functional simplicity that was the PSS from Gen 6.

But aside from that, these are the best games. Bar fucking none.
>>
File: 14654654656.png (2KB, 142x138px) Image search: [Google]
14654654656.png
2KB, 142x138px
>>30177380
I actually have a physical copy of Glazed on a cart. I really wanted an authentic experience playing on a GBA. It was good, although there's a point early on where you can get fucking stuck by leaping down a ledge with no way to get back up without HMs you don't have yet, but other than that.

Drayano hacks are good obviously. And hacks aside, almost any vanilla Pokemon game can be good with a randomizer. I like doing randomized Soul lockes with my only friend and that gets pretty intense toward the end.

Honestly, my ideal Pokemon game wouldn't require much. Just an interesting region to explore, little/no interruptions from uninteresting NPCs, and a difficulty setting. I don't ask fucking much, but GF can't even deliver those things (lately).

BW1 is my favorite Pokemon main series game.
>>
>>30177351
The game runs like shit on N3DS too. Totem battles are like maybe 5-6 frames higher, everything else is almost identical. I doubt the game was optimized for it.
>>
>>30175269
>but just let people enjoy something.
where do you think we are
>>
>>30176394
>Would you recommend buying Sun/Moon?
Top tier pokemon game, genuinely good game in its own right. Absolutely.
>>
>>30176394
If you're not a Pokemon fan or haven't played in a while, or are just a casual, yes.

If you're a hardcore fan, no because it will just disappoint but you'll probably buy it anyway.
>>
>>30177648
I've bitched endlessly about how awful gen 6 was but liked SM anyway
They're good.
>>
I get paid tomorrow. Honest opinions, should I get this game?

I hated Gen III and V. My favorites were Gen II and IV (Gen VI wasn't awful. Post-Game was shit). Based on that knowledge about my preference.... is the game worth it?
>>
>>30174718
Well I wouldn't have. And the decision was Lillie's, she even said her mother is terrible, but still want to better her.
>>
They're legitimately good. You can quantize features or whatever but these games give me much more enjoyment than X/Y did. It feels very different from a Pokemon game in practice, but at heart its intentions are the same. The real drag down is the first hour and a half of pressing A.
>>
>>30176789
In the Japanese version, his dad literally says he "beat him black and blue".
>>
>>30179811
Source?
>>
>better than RBY
that's not a very hard thing to accomplish, OP.
>>
What made sun and moon so great for me was the atmosphere, Alola just feels so comfy, and the music was great imo too
>>
>>30174772
I felt the same way, but you just gotta power through the feels for your bros in the Poke Balls.
>>
>>30179824
That's something I've seen a lot of people say, but I can't find any screen shots of it.
>>
>>30174626
>1 and 2 that high

you have awful taste
>>
>>30177408
Underage please leave.
>>
I'm not sure if I'd say SM are the best games, but they're definitely top tier.
>>
>>30177448
That's the honeymoon phase talking. Try saying that 3 years from now.
>>
>>30175026
I fucking hate hoenniggers, you greedy fuckers are almost as bad as genwun faggots
>>
>>30179977
Not him but I had a lot of doubts about XY around this long after when it came out, a lot of shit just wasn't right. Not so with SM.
>>
>People still complain about the EXP Share when it isn't even using the Gen 6 distribution formula.
What is this meme?
>>
File: IMG_2035.jpg (86KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2035.jpg
86KB, 900x900px
>>30175054
>>30175106
>>
>>30174718
Lillie wanted to rescue her Mother
besides, who knows what terrors Lusamine might've caused by staying in the UBverse for an extended period of time
Was a good conclusion up until Lusamine used her same 5 Pokemon again with no Nilhelgo as her 6th
>>
I can't rate them personally as I had fun with all the games.

Gen 1 was glitchy but finding and catching glitched pokemon was really fun.
Gen 2 was alright, not much I can remember about it besides my cartridge's battery dying
Gen 3 was good, just a bit on the overrated side in my opinion.
Gen 4 was fun and had some good new pokemon.
Gen 5 was actually pretty good, sure it had glaring issues but it was still fun
Gen 6 was bare-bones and needed something more to make it better, it was forgivable in X/Y because it was the first 3D game in the main series.
Gen 7 Too early to call, but I have to say that the ending got more emotion outta me than any other gen has.
I would say: 3 > 5 > 4 > 1=2 > 6 with Gen 7 still in "Development" (IE it still has a chance to be great)
>>
>>30179824
>>30179915
I played through the game in Japanese, and the English translation is basically 1:1 there. It vaguely hints at them having an altercation.
>>
>>30176630
How many threads you are going to shitpost this?
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 640x178px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 640x178px
>>30179824
Anon who was fluent in Japanese pointed it out in one of the older Guzma threads.
>>
>>30180247
>>30180483
So it's not outright stated in Japanese like I thought, but just very heavily implied.
>>
>>30180483
Wow
Poor Guzma
>>
>>30175026
>free level 10 salamence
>free if you track down a 1% encounter rate bagon in the wild then keep that battle going until the 1% chance of it summoning a salamence occurs, the whole process of which can easily take over an hour
I've come to realize recently that everyone who complains about pokemon games being easier are either autistic faggots or shitposters. The turning point for me was seeing someone yesterday claim FrLg were casualized compared RBY because expanded character limits in the text boxes allowed for more clear explanations of mechanics and moves and such.
>>
>>30181306
You can't deny that XY were piss easy though
>>
>>30175821
detected the 15 year old
>>
>>30174626
>Better even than the RBY?
RBY is shit compared to just about every other game.
>>
>>30180060
I feel the same way. I wasn't excited for XY as games, but rather what they meant for the franchise overall. I always wanted a fully 3d pokemon game, and now have 3. I'm still not ready to give a definitive response, but so far my first play through of sun is way more engaging then the first play through I had for Y and even White 2(though I love this game).
>>
>>30176425
this
>>
>>30174626
>amazing story
>amazing characters
By pokemon standards maybe, but it's still subpar compared to everything else
>option to play through either easy or hard mode via exp. share
Game is unbalanced as shit without the exp. share. It was clearly designed around playing with exp. share on.

>ability to use your in game team competitively if you want via hyper training
What the hell does that even mean?
>pokemon refresh being a much improved pokemon amie
Which was a pointless feature in the first place
>new, fresh concepts such as trials, changing game formula while keeping pokemon feel
They took the old formula, removed anything remotely interesting about it, gave it a new name and called it a day.
I've caught every single ultra beast with the very first ball.
>GUZMA
Is a shit excuse for a villain
Relying on nostalgia is just admitting that they don't have any originality.
>ending the story in a way that would make sense to set the next games in kanto, but with a completely different story from rby
This I do like, but you just know that the Kanto sequels won't be done well.
>best ending credits of all time
10 minutes cutscene kill me please
>>
>>30176394
Just wait for the third version where they "add" all the features that they deliberately cut from this version.
>>
7>2>4>3>1>6>5
>>
>>30184032
>What the hell does that even mean?
He's referring to how you can use your in-game team in competitive since you can use Hyper training to give them stats equivalent of 31/31/31/31/31/31 pokemon. As long as they have a good nature and any egg moves you want, they can be competitively viable.
>>
>>30184180
2>5>4>1>3>7>6 imo
>>
>>30174626
5 > 7 > 4 = 3 > 2 > 1 > 6
>>
>>30174626
2>7>3>6>1 didn't play the middle ones
>>
File: 1477087200296.jpg (94KB, 500x666px) Image search: [Google]
1477087200296.jpg
94KB, 500x666px
>>30174626

Will agree that the story and characters were really good, other than gladion who I thought was just way over the top with the fucking annoying edgelord shit.

Also the constant hand gestures from team skull gave me a headache.

But the fact that those are my only complaints means it was a pretty damn good game
>>
>>30174626
Does this prove that a new Pokemon game can be as average as possible as long as they pander to genwunners and waifufags?
>>
>>30180102
>you're baiting because you don't agree with my opinion xdddddddddddddd

Top kek
>>
>>30184852
Yes
>>
7>5>4>2>3>6>1

Only correct answer.
>>
>>30180172
Nihilego didn't need to be a 6th. Should have done a GoD and had her float into the foreground as a boss during the battle.
>>
>>30185084
>7 on top
>6 at the end
Either put both at the top or both at the bottom, but you can't deny that the games are incredibly similar.
>>
>>30185171
No they aren't. 7 has more in common than gen 5 than it does with anything else. The only thing it shares with XY are the models.
>>
File: Lusamine-nihilego.jpg (63KB, 725x471px) Image search: [Google]
Lusamine-nihilego.jpg
63KB, 725x471px
>>30180172
Pic related is the thing that we should've fought against, not Lusamine's old team.
>>
>6 hours of cutscenes
>>
>>30176394
Fuck no, for every good change they introduced they fucked up 2 existing ones
>>
>>30176394
Pretty good for a pokemon game, especially compared to pokemon games of late.

Obviously there are better games out there for different systems you could buy, but $40 is pocket change and sun and moon are pretty good timesinks.
>>
>>30175705
I played it on N3DS and there were still framerate drops and odd pauses every so often when you would select a move.
>>
>>30185198
I'd say it has more in common with 2. Asshole rival, small region, in Kanto's shadow, we even have a Miltank farm and Sudowoodo blocking the path.
>>
>>30184596
what's the image from?
as in, is there a source that's not in taco?
>>
So is Pokemon becoming weaboo trash like Fire Emblem now is?
>>
>>30185234
lusamine, i've come to bargain
>>
>>30187444
>Implying it hasn't always been weeaboo
>>
lolwat
I caught them all with premium balls
just used Raichu's Z move and then false sweeped them

Hell, I caught Tapu Fini with the first pokeball I threw at it.
>>
>>30174626
no, fuck off

4>3>1>2>5>7>6
>>
>>30187533 (you)
>gen 1
>better than gen 2
nice bait
>>
>>30187582
sorry to disappoint, no (You) memes will invalidate my real opinion
>>
>>30187582
>3 FUCKING DRAGONITES
>good
>>
>>30174626
>1 that high

God damn. GF might as well not even make more games because literally nothing tops gen 1 to you kids.
>>
>>30174626
I wouldn't call the exp share hard or easy mode, exp share has nothing to do with difficulty. The difficulty is dependent on the AI, team composition and builds. You can go catch something, you can level it up and it might take longer but that is what you call grinding, not difficulty.

That being said, SM did provide a little more of a challenge. I had a few moments where I thought I might lose, but that was due to laziness. The only way they could make the game very challenging is if the AI knew your team and used pokemon that were at least slightly best for taking it on. But the main story IS for kids, you can't just throw that at them, you are an adult playing a childrens game - stop talking about difficulty in general when it comes to the story.

People are complaining about the hand holding, but they forget that for almost any JRPG you get cutscenes and story for every fucking checkpoint. I just wish they had a skip button. It's not handholding, it's story. Those who are complaining - go play on showdown. Besides that the story is pretty good.

SM is definitely my favourite so far, but I think it was still lazy. It's 2016 get your shit together gf and add more content, and nintendo needs to catch up with the capabilities on their fucking handhelds. I know the next one is pretty ok but is it actually up to date with this generation of capabilities/graphics?

PSP came out in what? 2004? Still performs better than the 3ds.
>>
File: watertypes.jpg (1MB, 1500x938px) Image search: [Google]
watertypes.jpg
1MB, 1500x938px
>>30174626

7>4>2>5>6>3>1

Just personal rankings.
>>
>>30174626
This is objectively the worst generation ever, you cocksucker. I will hunt you down and kill you.
>>
>>30176150
>5

Opinion discarded.
>>
>>30176889
>What is Gen 2

That's the fucking sequel, god damn.
>>
>>30174626
Jesus fuck no

The nigger Hau is just too goddam annoying
>>
>>30187760
Now that SM has more cut scenes than it needs, people are suddenly comparing Pokemon to other JRPGs even though what other JRPGs did has never mattered at all
>>
>>30181306
>1% chance of it summoning a salamence

Isn't it a 1/7 (~15%) chance of 1%!Bagon summoning Salamence?
>>
>>30182294
Just don't use Lucario, Charizard(X or Y), Aerodactyl, or the Honedge line and it shouldn't be piss easy.

Although Fennekin, Bulbasaur/Budew, Azurill, Gyarados, Gengar, and Sawk (X)/Heracross (Y) are still too good for the game
>>
>>30174626
>unobjectively
Subjectively. That's the word you're looking for.
Also,
>7>1>2>5>3>4>6
what the fuck is this shit taste
>>
>>30176360
HMs always were and always will be fucking horrible
>>
>>30187165
She's a super-butthurt libtard, don't bother.
>>
File: ITS.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
ITS.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
>>30174626
>pss gone
NO
>>
File: 1475272947629.png (171KB, 431x539px) Image search: [Google]
1475272947629.png
171KB, 431x539px
>>30174626
5 > 4 > 7 > 2 > 3 > 6 > 1

SM just needs a third version fixing some things to put Gen7 in the lead.
>>
>>30191102
I wish I could get into Gen 5, but the sprites are just so awful in those games.
>>
File: 553.gif (166KB, 102x80px) Image search: [Google]
553.gif
166KB, 102x80px
>>30191371
Really? I think they look great. In fact, I like gen 5 sprites more than gen 6/7 models.
>>
>>30191588
The fact that the sprites are rotated and stretched instead of properly drawn for each frame bugs the shit out of me. If they were sitting still without the Rotation and Stretching, I'm sure they would be the best. Crystal IMO is the only Pokemon game with good Animated sprites.

I like the models better than Gen 5's sprites, aside from the Gliding Pokemon Although I would definitely prefer properly animated Sprites.
>>
Got pissed off with the long tutorial. Sped through the rest of the game. Sold it to the neighbor's kid.

Terrible entry in the franchise.

>every battle that isn't a 1v1 stutters like a powerpoint
>the challenges don't add anything new, might as well just kept the gyms
>pace of game is too slow. cutscene hell
>exp share hasn't been nerfed or removed
>shit story

I'll be borrowing copies of new Pokemon games in the future.
Thread posts: 217
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.